PDA

View Full Version : Making some Gimmicky NPCs

StoneCipher
2014-11-26, 05:36 PM
So I'm looking to make a Goliath and Gnome merchant team. The Gnome is a tinkerer and illusionist wizard, the Goliath his obvious muscle.

The idea behind this is initially to have the Goliath toss the Gnome and have some gimmicks and tricks to the duo. Such as the Goliath tossing the gnome and then the gnome dropping a bomb, and somehow making the bomb his return mechanism to the Goliath.

I'm looking for some things to add to this duo that might involve tossing, tinkering, and the like. The more comical the better. I'm also looking to have them be able to deal with any minor threat with ease up to about CR 5 I'd say.

Where should I start looking?

Venger
2014-11-26, 05:41 PM
So I'm looking to make a Goliath and Gnome merchant team. The Gnome is a tinkerer and illusionist wizard, the Goliath his obvious muscle.

The idea behind this is initially to have the Goliath toss the Gnome and have some gimmicks and tricks to the duo. Such as the Goliath tossing the gnome and then the gnome dropping a bomb, and somehow making the bomb his return mechanism to the Goliath.

I'm looking for some things to add to this duo that might involve tossing, tinkering, and the like. The more comical the better. I'm also looking to have them be able to deal with any minor threat with ease up to about CR 5 I'd say.

Where should I start looking?

races of stone's "fling ally" feat does exactly this, and literally has a goliath hurling a gnome at an enemy in a fastball special.

give the gnome a necklace of natural weapons and some means of natural attack, such as IUS or hunger domain, enchant the necklace with the returning property, and he'll blast back into the goliath's arms next round.

StoneCipher
2014-11-26, 05:46 PM
races of stone's "fling ally" feat does exactly this, and literally has a goliath hurling a gnome at an enemy in a fastball special.

give the gnome a necklace of natural weapons and some means of natural attack, such as IUS or hunger domain, enchant the necklace with the returning property, and he'll blast back into the goliath's arms next round.

I'm aware of fling ally, but I'm looking to make it more...dynamic and flashy. But the returning property on a necklace is an interesting thought. Although, I'd rather have it where the bomb force sends the Gnome flying back to the goliath. So any temporary damage immunity items would be helpful. Perhaps a sanctuary based thing, however, I don't know if sanctuary would make you immune to the blast force.

Venger
2014-11-26, 05:50 PM
I'm aware of fling ally, but I'm looking to make it more...dynamic and flashy. But the returning property on a necklace is an interesting thought. Although, I'd rather have it where the bomb force sends the Gnome flying back to the goliath. So any temporary damage immunity items would be helpful. Perhaps a sanctuary based thing, however, I don't know if sanctuary would make you immune to the blast force.

through some bizarre rules abuse, you could, before engaging in combat, have the goliath hook a Fine harpoon into the gnome (jab him in the belt loop or something) for 1 damage, and thus be able to keep him on a 30 foot tether (harpoon's rope length is static and does not change with size) it even includes rules about how to reel him back in, and the gnome can just fail his str check on purpose since they're buddies, and he can come bouncing back into the goliath's arms:

Pulverizing Pinball.

StoneCipher
2014-11-26, 05:58 PM
through some bizarre rules abuse, you could, before engaging in combat, have the goliath hook a Fine harpoon into the gnome (jab him in the belt loop or something) for 1 damage, and thus be able to keep him on a 30 foot tether (harpoon's rope length is static and does not change with size) it even includes rules about how to reel him back in, and the gnome can just fail his str check on purpose since they're buddies, and he can come bouncing back into the goliath's arms:

Pulverizing Pinball.

Now that I like. With still spell, he might be able to make some interesting things happen in addition to being an actual weapon.