PDA

View Full Version : DM Help 7th level Beast Master Ranger new skill help + Pet Health

AmbientRaven
2014-11-26, 06:58 PM
Hi Folks,

I am currently DM'ing a game where I ruled the pet can act independently of the master, not using up a hunters attacks. The problem is this makes the 7th level skill (Exceptional Training) useless.
So I am looking at other possible skills I could involve for the class.

I was thinking of a way to raise the pets Hit Dice, as, a sub 30 hp wolf is a one shot vs higher CR creatures. So I am thinking either having the wolf gain 1d6 hit dice per level, and at 7th level maybe have this become D8 hit dice instead.

other suggestions would be greatly appreciated though!

thanks for any help rendered!

Shining Wrath
2014-11-26, 07:25 PM
Give the Ranger a number of command words equal to the proficiency bonus earned from their Ranger levels. They can issue these commands to the companion as free actions (because talk is still free), one per round.

If the companion is replaced for whatever reason, the new companion must be taught the command words, which takes ~50 hours per word.

Giant2005
2014-11-26, 11:41 PM
Give the pet the ability to drop to 1 HP when an attack would ordinarily bring him to 0 once per long rest.

SliceandDiceKid
2014-11-27, 04:10 AM
Give the pet the ability to drop to 1 HP when an attack would ordinarily bring him to 0 once per long rest.

Half Orc wolf.
Those orcs will hump ANYTHING!

D-naras
2014-11-27, 04:55 AM
Make the 7th level ability the following:
Super special friendship bond
Whenever your animal companion or you would suffer enough damage to drop to 0 or less hit points, you may spend your Reaction to transfer the damage from the companion to yourself or vice versa.

Kill 2 birds with 1 stone.