PDA

View Full Version : Living Construct Template?

atemu1234
2014-11-26, 08:39 PM
Is there a template that provides the living construct type/subtype?

phlidwsn
2014-11-26, 11:04 PM
No template that I can recall. Closest I can think of is ten levels of Renegade Mastermaker(MoE p 81) explictly grants Living Construct, though it calls it a type instead of subtype.

supersonic29
2014-11-26, 11:38 PM
No template occurs to me. I assume you know about warforged (LA +0 race with that type) already. What exactly are you trying to achieve with a living construct template? Maybe there's another way to achieve it?

Troacctid
2014-11-26, 11:44 PM
Yes there is: Soulfused Construct from Magic of Incarnum. +1 LA. I don't know of any playable races that are compatible with it, though.

supersonic29
2014-11-26, 11:51 PM
Yes there is: Soulfused Construct from Magic of Incarnum. +1 LA. I don't know of any playable races that are compatible with it, though.

Interesting, you could probably actually use that to make some weird unplayable construct playable. Unfortunately I expect atemu's goal was to drop a template on a race he had in mind.

A_S
2014-11-27, 12:08 AM
Savage Species gives level adjustments to Stone, Clay, and Flesh golems, which lack Int scores. I believe they're so you have something to work off of when using Awakened or Incarnate Construct, but they work just as well with Soulfused. They all end up being extremely high ECL, though, and are probably superseded by the entries in the 3.5 MMI anyway (since SS is 3.0).

If you were to use the SS level adjustments, you could be a Soulfused Flesh Golem at ECL 16, or a Soulfused Clay Golem at ECL 20.

ShurikVch
2014-11-27, 04:55 AM
Also, Savage Species gives LA +3 to Homunculus.

Also, there is a Dustform Creature template (Sandstorm) with LA +2

Explorer's Handbook have Dust-Stuffed template (LA +5), which change a base creature into living construct.

A_S
2014-11-27, 05:18 AM
Also, Savage Species gives LA +3 to Homunculus.

Also, there is a Dustform Creature template (Sandstorm) with LA +2

Explorer's Handbook have Dust-Stuffed template (LA +5), which change a base creature into living construct.
Homonculi, unfortunately, have an Int score, so they don't work with Soulfused.

Dust-stuffed looks like exactly what the OP was looking for, though. Makes any Humanoid or Monstrous Humanoid into a Living Construct. Too bad about the LA, though.

*edit* After a closer look, wow, that template is NOT worth LA+5.

ShurikVch
2014-11-27, 05:49 AM
Homonculi, unfortunately, have an Int score, so they don't work with Soulfused.
Then Mind Switch it with something mindless, and it's OK

Urpriest
2014-11-27, 02:23 PM
Maugs are pretty rad as playable constructs go.

unseenmage
2014-11-27, 09:14 PM
The spell Greater Humanoid Essence (RoE) will make a Construct into a Humanoid for the duration. This includes making it vulnerable to mind-affecting and living stuff.

And spells like Telepathic Bond persist and function even after the Greater Humanoid Essence duration ends because if having a creature type inconsistent with an already applied spell caused that spell to not work then Greater Humanoid Essence itself wouldn't function.