PDA

View Full Version : Player Help Useful items and gimmicks for a Rogue

LucianoAr
2014-11-27, 09:29 AM
as i was reading some articles and books lately, i discovered a few useful tips for the rogue, for instance, carrying leather stripes, so you would lay them on the floor so the weight distributes evenly, that way you dont make creaking sounds in old wood.

also, carrying a mirror is a good way to peek into a room without actually entering.

i picture theres lots of these rogue gimmicks that we can share and learn more about the profession:smallcool:

SpawnOfMorbo
2014-11-27, 10:59 AM
as i was reading some articles and books lately, i discovered a few useful tips for the rogue, for instance, carrying leather stripes, so you would lay them on the floor so the weight distributes evenly, that way you dont make creaking sounds in old wood.

also, carrying a mirror is a good way to peek into a room without actually entering.

i picture theres lots of these rogue gimmicks that we can share and learn more about the profession:smallcool:

No character of mine, rogue or otherwise, goes anywhere without a mirror. It tends to irk DMs at first...

Of course I don't tell them how to counter this or whatever... Unless they do it during one of my games ;) (I can be "evil" from time to time and people learn from it... Though I hold back if I'm in a long term game and the DM of that game is in my game lol).

The biggest problem with tricks with the rogue is if you have a short sighted DM or one that just doesn't know these tricks (or thinks they are impossible) then either they won't work or you spend to much time discussing it with the DM.

MinaBee
2014-11-27, 02:46 PM
The Thief's 3rd level ability to Use An Object as their Cunning Action combos really well with the Healer feat.

Together, you can use your bonus action to provide heals (1d6+4+the target's level hit points) or stabilize a downed party member. (restoring 1 hit point in the process, which is better than the Cleric's dedicated stabilization cantrip)

Also, tagging Athletics as one of your Expertise skills makes you good at grappling, shoving, and knocking creatures prone.

Inevitability
2014-11-27, 04:40 PM
The Thief's 3rd level ability to Use An Object as their Cunning Action combos really well with the Healer feat.

Together, you can use your bonus action to provide heals (1d6+4+the target's level hit points) or stabilize a downed party member. (restoring 1 hit point in the process, which is better than the Cleric's dedicated stabilization cantrip)

Also, tagging Athletics as one of your Expertise skills makes you good at grappling, shoving, and knocking creatures prone.

I've had many ideas for 5e characters, some of them involving armies of goats or elephant-riding paladins dual-wielding lances, but I've never thought of rogues as healers. Good job!

SliceandDiceKid
2014-11-28, 10:10 AM
Make a trip wire out of your rope and pitons, then coerce guards into coming out to inspect a noise.

Strap alchemists fire over a doorway suspended by a rope, baddies enter/exit, drop the rope.

Ball bearings are the same situation

Soap up a floor (similar to grease spell)

A bell w/string to distract people when sneaking. By the time they follow string in the dark, you can sneak past them.

Felvion
2014-11-28, 10:37 AM
IIRC there has been a thread with must-have adventurer "inventory" but i'm too lazy to search now. The list was endless and of course it was refering to 3.5 ed but still mundane stuff have the same use.
My personal starting equipment as a rogue?
Rope, mirror, crowbar, soap and a dagger. Oh and lots of make up.

SliceandDiceKid
2014-11-28, 11:05 AM
IIRC there has been a thread with must-have adventurer "inventory" but i'm too lazy to search now. The list was endless and of course it was refering to 3.5 ed but still mundane stuff have the same use.
My personal starting equipment as a rogue?
Rope, mirror, crowbar, soap and a dagger. Oh and lots of make up.

You can never be too clean!

bloodshed343
2014-11-28, 11:27 AM
Where's your towel? You need to know where your towel is. It's the most remarkably useful thing in the universe.

JoeJ
2014-11-28, 11:56 AM
I can't believe that nobody has mentioned the venerable 10' pole yet. You can use it to probe the floor for hidden pits, set off traps from a distance, push open suspicious chests, prop doors open/closed, and poke monsters to see if they're really dead or just sleeping. You can lean it against a wall and climb it, use it to pole vault, or to cross a chasm when jumping is impractical. If you tie a flag on the end you can use it for signalling outdoors - attach it to the top of a tree for even greater visibility.

Attach your mirror to the end of the pole for even more adventuring fun!

S_Dalsgaard
2014-11-28, 01:23 PM
I can't believe that nobody has mentioned the venerable 10' pole yet. You can use it to probe the floor for hidden pits, set off traps from a distance, push open suspicious chests, prop doors open/closed, and poke monsters to see if they're really dead or just sleeping. You can lean it against a wall and climb it, use it to pole vault, or to cross a chasm when jumping is impractical. If you tie a flag on the end you can use it for signalling outdoors - attach it to the top of a tree for even greater visibility.

Attach your mirror to the end of the pole for even more adventuring fun!

Ah, the 10' pole. In my 15 years of gaming I have actually never encountered (or played) a character with a 10' pole.

MinaBee
2014-11-28, 01:33 PM
I've never personally taken a ten foot pole into a dungeon, and the only reason for that is this: Where does your character put it when they aren't using it? Carrying something like that around must be incredibly cumbersome.

(This a level of verisimilitude I have only ever felt comfortable imposing on my own characters. When I run games, there's a level of inventory abstraction that could accommodate a 10 STR rogue toting a ten foot pole.)

Good suggestions from everyone on handy things to fill your pockets with! I'm going to add to those suggestions: chalk, candles, and an oil flask. Oil flasks are dead useful! Oil hinges on a door before you sneak into a room! Make difficult terrain! Set that difficult terrain on FIRE!

MaxWilson
2014-11-28, 02:15 PM
I've never personally taken a ten foot pole into a dungeon, and the only reason for that is this: Where does your character put it when they aren't using it? Carrying something like that around must be incredibly cumbersome.

Sounds like a good sales pitch for 10' Collapsible Poles!

:) Or you could just take Mage Hand.

SliceandDiceKid
2014-11-28, 02:48 PM

Threaded break-down pole.

Become an artisan/salesman. Sell the (interchangeable) wood pieces 5gp per 2'. Sell some duds, PROFIT!

"Make your OWN, PERSONALIZED POLE!"

"Increase the size of your pole today!"

"Self conscious about your length? Increase it TODAY!"

Show your woman what you've got stowed away in your inventory!

JoeJ
2014-11-28, 02:58 PM

The collapsible pole is a great idea. I'm going to have to see if I can get something like that the next time I play.

Mage Hand fills a different niche. It's longer range and more dextrous, but it's limited to 10 pounds of force and you can't climb it, pole vault with it, or walk across it. As a signal, you can make a flag-waving Mage Hand go higher, but you can't leave it to mark something you want to come back to.

tcrudisi
2014-11-28, 03:30 PM
In 4e, I played an Avenger (melee class, low Str/Athletics score). Frequently enemies were archers that were on top of things that needed to be climbed. So, we were in a dungeon that had some scaffolding. What did I do after that combat? I informed the DM that my character was taking a ladder.

"You're not taking the ladder."

"It's already wrote down on my character sheet." *shows the DM*

Damn near every combat after that, I'd use the ladder somehow. The DM could only shake his head.

That ladder was incredibly useful.

MinaBee
2014-11-28, 03:46 PM
Mage Hand fills a different niche. It's longer range and more dextrous, but it's limited to 10 pounds of force and you can't climb it, pole vault with it, or walk across it. As a signal, you can make a flag-waving Mage Hand go higher, but you can't leave it to mark something you want to come back to.

If it's skinny enough to pole vault with, it'd be difficult to climb or walk across.

If it's thick enough to walk across, it'd be way too cumbersome to pole vault with.

If you need a signal in the night time, Dancing Lights or Light, cast on a sling stone, would do you just fine. Daytime, you could use Prestidigitation to instantly light a signal fire.

As for poking things with more than ten pounds of force. Hmm.

Become an artisan/salesman. Sell the (interchangeable) wood pieces 5gp per 2'. Sell some duds, PROFIT!

I like this idea. Include some threaded spear points for the ends. You could make a shortspear (three 2ft lengths) or a pike (five 2ft lengths). A threaded mace head or hammer for those situations where you need some bludgeoning damage.

SliceandDiceKid
2014-11-28, 03:46 PM
In 4e, I played an Avenger (melee class, low Str/Athletics score). Frequently enemies were archers that were on top of things that needed to be climbed. So, we were in a dungeon that had some scaffolding. What did I do after that combat? I informed the DM that my character was taking a ladder.

"You're not taking the ladder."

"It's already wrote down on my character sheet." *shows the DM*

Damn near every combat after that, I'd use the ladder somehow. The DM could only shake his head.

That ladder was incredibly useful.

You're ladder guy from Doraleous and associates

tcrudisi
2014-11-28, 06:26 PM
You're ladder guy from Doraleous and associates

I just googled Doraleous and associates because I had never heard of it before. I watched the first episode and it was quite funny. Thanks!

GiantOctopodes
2014-11-28, 07:33 PM
A sack of flour is always my #1 pickup.

You can use it to test the direction of the wind, to scatter in search of an invisible object, fill the air with it and ignite for a dust explosion, leave a trail of edible materials to lure something, eat it if you get desperate, and not to mention, a sack is always handy for grabbing things, so when you encounter something for which you need a sack more than you need the flour, there you go. Better yet, empty the sack only partially, put the object inside and buried, and now you've got an innocuous means of smuggling it too.

SliceandDiceKid
2014-11-28, 09:11 PM
I just googled Doraleous and associates because I had never heard of it before. I watched the first episode and it was quite funny. Thanks!

Oh my God! It only gets better

SliceandDiceKid
2014-11-28, 09:14 PM
A sack of flour is always my #1 pickup.

You can use it to test the direction of the wind, to scatter in search of an invisible object, fill the air with it and ignite for a dust explosion, leave a trail of edible materials to lure something, eat it if you get desperate, and not to mention, a sack is always handy for grabbing things, so when you encounter something for which you need a sack more than you need the flour, there you go. Better yet, empty the sack only partially, put the object inside and buried, and now you've got an innocuous means of smuggling it too.

Great idea

Shadow
2014-11-28, 09:21 PM
Oh my God! It only gets better

I was very, very sad when the Escapist stopped running that. Did it ever continue somewhere else, or was that the end?

edit:
Never mind, I just found new episodes! Huzzah! :smallbiggrin:
In case anyone is interested, here ya go! (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dg1mxlzEP3Q&index=1&list=PL68FD0D7F63715384)

The_Hansard
2014-11-29, 06:05 AM

"Make your OWN, PERSONALIZED POLE!"

"Increase the size of your pole today!"

"Self conscious about your length? Increase it TODAY!"

Show your woman what you've got stowed away in your inventory!

I believe this character must now be called Neebs (and sell wonder brooms)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W_Uawfr8Kf4&list=PL68FD0D7F63715384&index=33 (got to 3:15)

Have you considered a wonderbroom? The wonderbroom is a revolutionary product that takes brooms to a new level :smalltongue:

mpicado101
2018-10-23, 06:12 PM
I have a pleathera of items that I tend to carry as a rouge, I lost my list though so I dont have all of it anymore, but working on rebuilding it. this is what I've currently got.
sack of flour
climbing equipment
crowbar evenly balanced with a hole in the middle to double as a grappling hook
map paper and charcoal
candles
chalk
10' collapsible pole
bell with string to distract someone when sneeking
wrist knives under sleeves, that drop into your hands when you move your wrist the right way
hair pins, that are actually lock picks
hidden compartment in boot heels with coins in one and emergency lock picks in the other
knife in boot
hidden belt buckle knife
bruise balm
small poison pots, and antidotes
leather gloves to protect from the poison, tiny darts in the fingertips
spike in shoe toes (releases with a special button on the side)
gurot in top of boot for easy killing

Lunali
2018-10-23, 07:38 PM
So many people mentioning mirrors, makes me feel obliged to point out that the thieves' tools in the starter kit for a rogue include one.