PDA

View Full Version : Advancing Constructs

Cardea
2014-11-27, 02:31 PM
So I'm doing some reading on constructs and wandered into the Mechonomicon (http://community.wizards.com/forum/previous-editions-character-optimization/threads/1156126). There are a few lines there that now have me wondering that, in all my years playing 3.5, have I missed some online article or some obvious section of rules that states you can advance constructs? I know in the SRD, it states you can advance golems at a rate of 5,000gp per HD and 50,000gp if the size of the golem increases, but I had always assumed you couldn't advance constructs in a similar manner. (Golems always being Constructs, but Constructs not always being a Golem).

atemu1234
2014-11-27, 04:24 PM
So I'm doing some reading on constructs and wandered into the Mechonomicon (http://community.wizards.com/forum/previous-editions-character-optimization/threads/1156126). There are a few lines there that now have me wondering that, in all my years playing 3.5, have I missed some online article or some obvious section of rules that states you can advance constructs? I know in the SRD, it states you can advance golems at a rate of 5,000gp per HD and 50,000gp if the size of the golem increases, but I had always assumed you couldn't advance constructs in a similar manner. (Golems always being Constructs, but Constructs not always being a Golem).

Meh, it wouldn't be game breaking to use the same rate.

Urpriest
2014-11-27, 04:35 PM
It's always specific to the construct in question, there is no general rule. But most constructs that can be built and were printed post 3.5 have some advancement rules.

unseenmage
2014-11-27, 09:10 PM
Also note that PF has rules for pricing and building any Construct based on its CR alone so this could allow you to build advanced Constructs with your DMs permission.

Cardea
2014-11-27, 09:30 PM
It's always specific to the construct in question, there is no general rule. But most constructs that can be built and were printed post 3.5 have some advancement rules.
When you say post 3.5, do you mean PF and 4E?

Also note that PF has rules for pricing and building any Construct based on its CR alone so this could allow you to build advanced Constructs with your DMs permission.
Already aware of those, and DM has ruled them out.

Urpriest
2014-11-28, 01:39 PM
When you say post 3.5, do you mean PF and 4E?

Sorry, should have been more clear. I meant post the 3.0->3.5 transition. Basically, things that are fully 3.5 material.