PDA

View Full Version : Thieves of Life

Ruethgar
2014-11-27, 04:29 PM
So I know there are several ways for you to personally kill, sacrifice, or drain individuals to empower yourself or extend your life. But what I'm looking for is the ability to take souls/life essence from an area as it is snuffed out(instead of being the cause of the death). For instance, a super metamagiced Greater Consumption Field would kill a lot in an area and boost your ability by doing so, but I was looking for something that would steal souls only if they died in the radius, not cause them to die. Something like whatever mechanism sends them to the afterlife but on a local scale rather than cosmic.

Without homebrew is there anything that could do that?

Edit: In continuation and addition, would there be any way for a group to draw power from that reliquary of souls without just making? The nearest analogy I've found in D&D thus far is a spell pool, but that is just for spells known it doesn't actually grant any power.

atemu1234
2014-11-27, 04:31 PM
The PrC in Faiths of Eberron, whose name is the same as the name of this thread?

Ruethgar
2014-11-27, 04:43 PM
That class appears to fall into the category of personally killing, sacrificing, or draining individuals. To reiterate, I want something that can draw the souls of those you don't kill but just die near you(or a piece of wondrous architecture or whatever would actually work to do this). So little Johnny falls down the well near you/your temple/whatever and died you get his soul/life force/power or it gets stored or is somehow now accessible as power rather than just going off to the afterlife/being wasted.

Necroticplague
2014-11-27, 05:26 PM
I don't know of any official thing for this. I did know of a homebrew PRC that let you do this, but it was an epic PRC with some unusual mechanics (Cosmic Horror for the Ozodrin class). BOVD has an altar that snags the soul of anybody who dies on it, as well as rules for what you can do with the souls once you have them (main use is powering items with them to save XP).

Ruethgar
2014-11-27, 05:59 PM
Ok, so the altar can work if I use Create Device(Craft Wondrous Item) and then PAO it into something else like ash and spread it over an area. It would require a liberal definition of sacrifice which is fine with how flexible English is. Unfortunately the lack of storage is an issue, but that is fixable, just need more gold, soul capturing gems built into wondrous architecture.