PDA

View Full Version : Masterwork Tools

Extra Anchovies
2014-11-27, 06:18 PM
What would be thematically fitting masterwork tools for Use Magic Device and Iaijutsu Focus? I'm thinking possibly a sheath for Iaijutsu Focus, but have no idea what to do regarding UMD. I want that +2, help me out here.

Shieldbunny
2014-11-27, 06:22 PM
For Iaijustu Focus, a sheath would be perfect. For UMD, a set if focus crystals, like the ones found for scry in the Arms and Equipment Guide, might be appropriate.

Extra Anchovies
2014-11-27, 06:26 PM
For Iaijustu Focus, a sheath would be perfect. For UMD, a set if focus crystals, like the ones found for scry in the Arms and Equipment Guide, might be appropriate.

Oooh, that's good! Thanks, my question is answered.

Since we're on the topic of IF, though: what's the action to sheath a weapon, if I have quick draw? Because if I'd need to spend an action to sheath a weapon, I'd either need multiple sheaths (for multiple weapons) or I'd need to find a different item. Maybe a particularly smooth silk shirt, for easier movement...

Blackhawk748
2014-11-27, 06:36 PM
Oooh, that's good! Thanks, my question is answered.

Since we're on the topic of IF, though: what's the action to sheath a weapon, if I have quick draw? Because if I'd need to spend an action to sheath a weapon, I'd either need multiple sheaths (for multiple weapons) or I'd need to find a different item. Maybe a particularly smooth silk shirt, for easier movement...

Its a move action IIRC, my group just makes Quick Draw also Quick Sheathe, so you can sheathe a weapon as a free action. Honestly it hasnt been abused even when i played an Iaijutsu Master

Thurbane
2014-11-29, 05:29 PM
AFAIK, there is no RAW way to sheathe a weapon as a free (or swift) action - which is why Gnomish Quickrazor is the go-to weapon for Iaijutsu Focus...

mabriss lethe
2014-11-29, 07:38 PM
AFAIK, there is no RAW way to sheathe a weapon as a free (or swift) action - which is why Gnomish Quickrazor is the go-to weapon for Iaijutsu Focus...

Cursed Swords can make an interesting choice, too. Once a cursed sword is bound to you it will break reality to get back into your hand when you go to use another weapon.

Doc_Maynot
2014-11-29, 11:10 PM
Yes, I love the -2 sword for Iajutsu purposes.
1. Draw the Sword
2. Draw the weapon you actually want to use.
3. Drop the Sword
4. Go to retrieve a dagg-Oh look, here's the sword back.
5. Drop the Sword
6. Use the weapon from step 2.
7. Go back to step 4.

TypoNinja
2014-11-29, 11:26 PM
Its a move action IIRC, my group just makes Quick Draw also Quick Sheathe, so you can sheathe a weapon as a free action. Honestly it hasnt been abused even when i played an Iaijutsu Master

This was pretty much my only rule when I had a player want to do an Iaijutsu Master, I told him no bull**** with redrawing/sheatheing weapons.

Tvtyrant
2014-11-29, 11:55 PM
What would be thematically fitting masterwork tools for Use Magic Device and Iaijutsu Focus? I'm thinking possibly a sheath for Iaijutsu Focus, but have no idea what to do regarding UMD. I want that +2, help me out here.

I just make all masterwork tools how to books... Players can buy encycolpedias of them. They get the bonus for reading them each day.

Gnome Alone
2014-11-30, 12:44 AM
Masterwork UMD tool: a replica of a hand, made of pure hand wavium.

Kevingway
2014-11-30, 01:02 AM
UMD: Sorting Hat

Iajustsu Focus: Flyswatter

gorfnab
2014-11-30, 01:34 AM
Masterwork Tool of UMD: a book entitled "Lies To Tell Magic Items"

Masterwork Tool of IF: a very ornate Netsuke

Andezzar
2014-11-30, 02:24 AM
Masterwork Tool of UMD: a book entitled "Lies To Tell Magic Items"Cool title. I thought about a book containing common command words.

atemu1234
2014-11-30, 12:10 PM
UMD? Probably a wrench to whack magic items with.