PDA

View Full Version : traps the omnipresent **** you mechanic

Gokken
2014-11-27, 09:03 PM
Hey guys I'm going to play through a campaign that is going to be more skill focused both in skill and literal game knowledge and such.

we are all experience players so this will not be a noob friendly campaign, we are 2 players maybe 3 later but 2 for now.

My mate will be a druid/lion of talisid, magic items are limited, so some what of a balance is made for the CODzilla

the problem I'm now facing is dealing with traps, because I was thinking of doing either Paladin/sorc/abjurant champion for melee and buff, admittely does not lend itself towards traps.

But then I thought Swashbuckler 3/wizard/Arcane trickster or abjurant or something, I recall something about insightfullstrike/skirmish, and such can qualify for the sneak attack requirement, giving that you have atleast an equal level of the class, that you would otherwise have in the sneak attack class.

So now I would have tons and search and good amounts of disable device, but hey only rogues can disable magical traps, so every trap after level 6 is going to oblitterate us to the stoneage weee!

Because rogue/wizard arcane trickster seems to be ideal at the moment? even though I really wanted to try swashbuckler....

FYI: the level of trapping we normaly play with is a nice amount of Baldurs gate 2* Dark souls= 100% assured death!

so far we had meatgrinders, time machine traps, imprisonment traps, revive last group of monsters killed traps..

Crake
2014-11-27, 09:15 PM
get the summon elemental reserve feat, infinite short duration summons that can act as trapfinders, easy peasy.

Edit: They're also fairly weak, so you don't need to worry about them maybe being made insane or whatnot by symbols of insanity or the like.

Red Rubber Band
2014-11-27, 10:48 PM
My mate will be a druid/lion of talisid, magic items are limited, so some what of a balance is made for the CODzilla

Just keep in mind that anyone who is not a full caster will be effected more by magic items being limited. So this kind of exacerbates the difference between spellcasters and non-spellcasters.

Malroth
2014-11-27, 11:54 PM
Kobold cloistered cleric with the Trickery, Knowledge and Kobold domains. Full caster goodness plus all the anti/pro trap skill monkey you'll ever need.

Azoth
2014-11-28, 12:01 AM
Rogue1/wixard5(Abrupt Jaunt+Spontaneous Divination)/unseen seer10/arcane trickster4

Take able learner at 1st level to keep up search/disable and practiced spellcaster at some point. Gish and skillmonkey. The last 4 levels can be changed into another PRC of choice.

Venger
2014-11-28, 02:19 AM
Gross. I feel your pain, OP. I hate traps too.

if your DM is dead-set on using them, ask him to glance at this article (http://arsludi.lamemage.com/index.php/90/bad-trap-syndrome/) that way even if you have to deal with them, they'll at least be more entertaining.

thethird
2014-11-28, 05:41 AM
Rogue1/wixard5(Abrupt Jaunt+Spontaneous Divination)/unseen seer10/arcane trickster4

Take able learner at 1st level to keep up search/disable and practiced spellcaster at some point. Gish and skillmonkey. The last 4 levels can be changed into another PRC of choice.

I'm partial to replace that rogue level with spell thief, because you know master spellthief.

Azoth
2014-11-28, 06:19 AM
I'm partial to replace that rogue level with spell thief, because you know master spellthief.

I never saw the point in burning a feat to turn myself into an occassional 1st lvl pearl of power. Yolanda's Lash from Planar Hanbook has a unique quality costs around 20k to port it to a new weapon (if custom weapon enhancements are cool with your group). This quality causes the target to lose one of its highest level spell slots everytime you hit them. Put this on your primary weapon and smile as the spellthief cries in a corner because you replaced him for cheap.