PDA

View Full Version : Optimization Sorcerer--later level spells and spell retraining.

asorel
2014-11-27, 11:10 PM
This (https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B22Uj6wOMzAFNXk3WHZoR0R0S2M/view) is my Sorcerer build for level 1. My current plan is to drop Sleep as soon as I get level 2 slots, and I have some idea of what spells I want to get next (Scorching Ray and Fireball are a must, especially with fire dragon lineage), but I don't have anything concrete. I know that I probably want to start dropping certain spells as I level up, as the Sorcerer only gets 15 spells known total, but I'm unsure as to what levels to do this, and which spells are worth switching out. Any and all suggestions are appreciated. (Side note: it seems a bit redundant to know both Abyssal and Infernal. What are some good alternatives from the list of exotic langauges?)

MaxWilson
2014-11-27, 11:27 PM
Whoa: that guy is really tall.

A couple of quick thoughts on spells:

Web is a must-have. It's a DX-based disabling spell, usable multiple times per enemy (e.g. via Shove), and most high-CR monsters have DX as their weakest save. You stand a good chance of tangling a dragon up in Web, unless he burns 2 Legendary Actions to escape before his turn begins or burns a Legendary Resistance to make his save.

Animate Objects is your only real meat shield-generating spell. If you have a druid in your party, you don't need it, but otherwise consider taking this spell and keeping a dozen forks onhand to animate as necessary. Short duration compared to Conjure (Minor) Elemental, but still a pretty decent use of a spell slot.

Wish is your eventual route into long-lasting utility spells like Find Steed, Find Familiar, Simulacrum, Awaken, and Clone. Obviously you will take it ASAP, it's the only way you'll ever have access to anything approaching a wizard's versatility.

Bonus tip: if you take Ritual Magic (wizard), you'll have access to stuff like Leomund's Tiny Hut, Water Breathing, Comprehend Languages, and Rary's Telepathic Bond (split the party with no fear! and no boring exclusion for other players at the same table!).

asorel
2014-11-27, 11:39 PM
Whoa: that guy is really tall.

My DM likes to flavor Elves in the full Tolkien manner: Taller than humans on average, and full immortality. None of this 700 year business. I tend to agree with this, and I've always liked having tall characters.

Animate Objects is your only real meat shield-generating spell. If you have a druid in your party, you don't need it, but otherwise consider taking this spell and keeping a dozen forks onhand to animate as necessary. Short duration compared to Conjure (Minor) Elemental, but still a pretty decent use of a spell slot.

I know that the party will have two druids when it fully forms, but I haven't looked at the class too hard yet. How can they replace the Animate Objects spell?

Felvion
2014-11-29, 05:39 AM
I know that the party will have two druids when it fully forms, but I haven't looked at the class too hard yet. How can they replace the Animate Objects spell?

They are probably the best class in conjuring things to fight for you, IIRC they get more such spells than any other class. Also, they are the first to take such a "summoning" spell at level 5 (conjure animals).

odigity
2014-11-29, 05:58 AM
They are probably the best class in conjuring things to fight for you, IIRC they get more such spells than any other class. Also, they are the first to take such a "summoning" spell at level 5 (conjure animals).

Actually, they get a conjuring spell called "Summon Wild Shape" by level 2. And they can even cast it twice per short rest!

asorel
2014-11-30, 12:30 PM
This is what I eventually came up with for what my Spell List will look like at level 20. In terms of retraining, I was thinking of using Sleep until level 3, at which point I receive second-level spells, and Thunderwave until level 6, at which point the CHA bonus to damage granted by Burning Hands makes it a better choice.

Cantrips: Acid Splash, Fire Bolt, Mage Hand, Prestidigitation, Shocking Grasp, *one other, I'm thinking Friends or Ray of Frost*
Level 1: Shield, Burning Hands
Level 2: Scorching Ray, Mirror Image, Enhance Ability for use with Counterspell
Level 3: Fireball, Haste, Counterspell
Level 4: Confusion, Greater Invisibility
Level 5: Sorcery points/buffing
Level 6: Disintegrate, Sunbeam
Level 7: Reverse Gravity, Plane Shift
Level 8: Sorcery points/buffing
Level 9: Wish

How did I do in choosing? Is there anything that you would recommend changing?

RealCheese
2014-11-30, 12:40 PM
I would pick burning hands over thunderwave early on, the placement restriction for thunderwave makes burning hands more useful. It is a 15 for cube centered on you, meaning you target anyone within 5 foot of you.

asorel
2014-11-30, 12:43 PM
I would pick burning hands over thunderwave early on, the placement restriction for thunderwave makes burning hands more useful. It is a 15 for cube centered on you, meaning you target anyone within 5 foot of you.

PHB 204:
You select a cube's point of origin, which lies anywhere on a face of the cubic effect

What you're thinking of is sphere-type spells, with a range of self. Thunderwave, in contrast, is a cube-type spell with a range of self.

Bakakiba
2014-11-30, 12:48 PM

The cube originates with you, not centers. You're either at a corner or the middle edge of the cube.

RealCheese
2014-11-30, 12:49 PM
PHB 204:

What you're thinking of is sphere-type spells, with a range of self. Thunderwave, in contrast, is a cube-type spell with a range of touch.

You're right. Carry on. ;)

Valefor Rathan
2014-12-02, 08:07 AM
To the OP: I love the residence name.