PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Questions on Reach Combat and Classes

5w337x7007h
2014-11-28, 03:36 AM
1. Would a Rogue be denied sneak attack if wielding a weapon with reach?
2. What caster class can effectively use a pole arm weapon in combat?
3. Would a fighter be an effective tank with a dex-oriented build?
4. How should I go about reach combat?

I'm not really sure where to start, but I do know I like the idea of distancing yourself while staying in melee. They can't hit you without provoking AoO, you 5-foot step away, hit them, and it becomes a cycle of multiple hits.

CGNefarious
2014-11-28, 03:47 AM
Just remember that if you are next to them then 5ft step away so that you can hit them, they can just as easily 5ft step to get next to you again without provoking AoO.

For question one, no. The 10 max range is for ranged weapons. As long as said rogue is flanking or his opponent is flat-footed, he should still get sneak attack.

T.G. Oskar
2014-11-28, 04:03 AM
1. Would a Rogue be denied sneak attack if wielding a weapon with reach?

Not really. So as long as the target is denied its Dexterity bonus to AC, you can execute a sneak attack with any melee weapon. A reach weapon is a melee weapon, so it's fair game.

2. What caster class can effectively use a pole arm weapon in combat?

Any who allows you to channel a spell through the weapon. In 3.5, that means the Duskblade; in PF, that means the Magus.

To explain further: the only caster classes who'd use melee weapons are gishes, as they're seeking to combine swordplay with spellcasting (specificallly buffing spells). Anyone who intends to do Lockdown (keeping the target near you through spells) prefers reach weapons, and gishes are no exception. Thus, any caster class intended for a gish/Lockdown build can effectively use a polearm weapon in combat, but then it's not because of the class, it's because of the build. The only other build that makes effective use of reach weaponry is any class that channels spells through a weapon, since then you can channel a touch spell through a weapon with extended reach, effectively improving its range. Since that depends on the class and not on the build (though it can be based on a build: 3.5 PrCs have ways to channel spells, such as the Channel Spell ability of the Spellsword), it fits the question.

3. Would a fighter be an effective tank with a dex-oriented build?

Depends on what you intend Dexterity for, but if using a reach weapon, generally not. Dexterity-oriented builds make good use of Combat Reflexes and thus start their way towards Lockdown builds, but without a reach weapon that fits Weapon Finesse (i.e. Spiked Chain) and a way to apply (or add) your Dexterity bonus to damage rolls, you'll still need Strength. That said, a Spiked Chain wielder has a weapon that can be finessed and has reach, which makes it excellent as part of a tanking Dex-focused build. Note, though, that the Spiked Chain reach benefit ONLY applies on 3.5; PF nerfed that, so you'll have to rely on another weapon for it.

4. How should I go about reach combat?

There's two main sources of Lockdown: Trip and Stand Still. Both exist in 3.5 and Pathfinder, though one is better than the other based on edition. Trip is better in 3.5 because you only need two feats (Combat Expertise and Improved Trip) to make it worthwhile, there's easily accessible reach weapons (Guisarme) and Improved Trip allows for damage after a successful trip attempt, so all you really need is something to boost your size to the extent you can pass the opposed Strength check successfully. Stand Still is somewhat better in Pathfinder because you can combine it with Steady Engagement, which allows disarming or tripping (thus compiling both methods of Lockdown).

The reason why I place so much focus on this is because both ways are used with Attacks of Opportunity, which is the main reason why you'd want to have a reach weapon in the first place - if your threatened area is larger, it means it'll suffer AoOs by attempting to attack you in melee, in which case you keep them around you (and away from your allies). Other ways can be used in more ways beyond attacks of opportunity, including melee attacks, in which case reach is less relevant.

Another thing is to consider what happens when someone goes beneath your reach (i.e. the target crosses the 10-ft. range, potentially takes the AoO, resists the method of Lockdown and enters your 5-ft. range, where you can't attack). In this case, an unarmed strike, a gauntlet, or armor spikes are a good way to keep doing damage and affect opponents no matter where they move.

Extra Anchovies
2014-11-28, 04:22 AM
2. Warlock with Eldritch Glaive, if that counts, can be pretty nasty with Hellfire Warlock, even if they don't go into Legacy Champion/Uncanny Trickster or dip Binder.

5w337x7007h
2014-11-28, 05:02 AM
Well the idea is to use combat reflexes, dodge, mobility, and spring attack. I'm not going to make it easy for anyone to get near me, but I've chosen the investigator, so my weapon options are rather limited, also my character size will be small.

The reason I'm small is because I've modified a psionic race to work without psionics. Blues, to be precise, because the campaign is not friendly towards goblins, and I see a challenge in proving that while I look like a goblin, I assure you, I am most certainly not one of those annoying little sociopaths that worship pyromania. They are green while I am blue. This'd allow me access to the horse chopper, which has reach and trip.

I'm also using this knowledge for future builds, so advice and recommendations are always welcome.