PDA

View Full Version : knowledge geography DC?

RoboEmperor
2014-11-28, 10:56 AM
I'm trying to use knowledge geography to know the locations of monsters I am trying to hunt so I can scry and teleport there.

But I couldn't find any DC for knowing said location. So lets say I pass a 21dc knowledge arcane check and know the existence of a 11hd monster and that he likes to live in warm places. So... how do I use knowledge geography to know where the warm places are so I can start legend lore-ing the locations to see if they in fact live there?

XionUnborn01
2014-11-28, 11:14 AM
It depends on your DM and how widespread the knowledge of world geography is but I can't imagine that the DC would be more than 20 for anything on the material plane barring some widespread void of knowledge.

Lightlawbliss
2014-11-28, 12:42 PM
knowing stuff like "This rather large general area tends to be warm" is DC 10 to 15 in my games, more refined information requiring a higher dc. Going world wide and figuring out what fits that description will probably result in only a couple of areas coming to mind of the possible, and those likely being rather vague in terms of finding a monster.

for example, on earth you might get:
The Amazon Rainforest
The Middle East
Africa
on a good check, I might also give:
Austrialia

Duke of Urrel
2014-11-28, 01:48 PM
Here's a relevant house rule of my own.

Knowledge of Geography DC 15:

Before you enter a foreign country (that is, any place on the central planet of the Material Plane where you have never been before), recall a relevant fact about this country’s geographic features, climate, economy, or flora (including normal plants, but not Plant creatures), not including subterranean areas.

For every 5 points you score above the DC, you recall another relevant fact.

Alternatively, you can use Local Knowledge to recall a relevant fact about a country’s economy, and you can use Knowledge of Nature to recall a relevant fact about a country’s climate, flora, or natural features (but not artificial features).

I don't have a house rule for global geographic knowledge, concerning which regions of the central planet are arctic, temperate, or tropical and which are dry, semi-arid, humid, or rainforested. But in a pinch, I would say that the DC is still 15.

Here are a few more house rules.

Knowledge of Geography DC 25:

After looking at the stars in the sky for a minute, estimate your latitude, that is, your distance north or south of the central planet’s equator, within 500 miles or so. While traveling, you can try this only once per day.

Knowledge of Geography DC 30:

After looking around you for one minute in broad daylight, anywhere above ground on the Material Plane's central planet, identify the country you are in, even if you can neither speak the local language nor read any written signs, and even if you are surrounded by wilderness. While traveling, you can try this only once per day.

If you score at least 25, you can at least narrow the possibilities down to two or three neighboring countries.

Alternatively, you can use Knowledge of Nature to identify the country you are in, provided that you are surrounded by wilderness and not by farms and buildings.

RoboEmperor
2014-11-28, 05:54 PM
Answering a question within your field of study has a DC of 10 (for really easy questions), 15 (for basic questions), or 20 to 30 (for really tough questions).

I see, so the DM just determines what easy questions, basic questions, and tough questions are. I'd argue a 15DC will allow me to know where the warm places are and 20DC would allow me to know the exact monsters that inhabit an area.

Thanks for your inputs!