PDA

View Full Version : A shapeshifter in 3.5?

Calemyr
2007-03-25, 03:03 PM
I've been toying with a character design for a long time and I was wondering how it would sit in the minds of veterans.

In Baldur's Gate II, the Druid class had a kit named the Shapeshifter. Unlike normal druids, who enjoyed a wide range of forms, the Shapeshifter chose instead to master a single form. In BGII's case, this form was that of a werewolf. I was wondering, could such a thing be arranged in 3.5 without becoming particularly over-/under-powered?

The thought I had was to make it so that instead of animal forms, the 3.5 shapeshifter assumed hybrid forms akin to that of Lycanthropy. This would function exactly like traditional wildshape, except that the shapeshifter could only adopt hybrid forms whose animal hit dice were at most the shapeshifter's level - 4 (i.e. only a were-rat form at level 5).

Unlike real lycanthropes, the shapeshifter does not gain the +2 wisdom, the damage reduction, or the ability to inflict lycanthropy on others. Like lycanthropes, the transformed shapeshifter gains bonuses to their stats instead replacing them (i.e. no dump stats). Though they can speak in hybrid forms, they cannot cast magic except through the natural spell feat. Like normal druids, a shapeshifter's gear melds into the new form.

Could an idea like this work in the D&D 3.5 framework? I'm trying to work out the kinks before I pester my DM with this idea, so I'd welcome any suggestions on how to better balance it.

Khantalas
2007-03-25, 03:05 PM
There is the Shapeshifting variant from PHB II.

I never played Druids in BG II. I liked the high reputation being LG brought with it.

Calemyr
2007-03-25, 03:24 PM
Cernd was a shapeshifter, so if you ever feel like taking a trip down memory lane (and why not? It's a very good game), you can always try one out without sacrificing your LG alignment.

As for the PHBII's shapeshifter, I can't figure out if that means you can assume you're taking a hybrid form or if you still are bound to animal forms. It's the idea of becoming a hybrid form that interests me - just the form, not the insane bonuses that come from being a lycanthrope.

(Oh, one thing about Cernd: his stats seem to really suck when you initially look at them. His physical stats are replaced when he shifts, however, so he's actually pretty good in a fight.)

Khantalas
2007-03-25, 03:26 PM
You could just say "my shifted form looks like a hybrid" and have exactly the same mechanics written.

Oh, and my party was already full. I had to ditch Cern for the subplots already developed within the party.

Calemyr
2007-03-25, 04:13 PM
Okay, one other question: Is there any way to boost your standing AC with a shifter druid? Outside of spells, nothing seems to apply to a shifter's alternate forms, meaning the best AC you can hope for with a Predator form is 18 (+4 dex, +4 natural), which is pretty poor for a melee role.

Tellah
2007-03-25, 04:58 PM
Have your friendly party arcanist cast Mage Armor on you, or the Greater variety if you have access to the Spell Compendium. Beg the cleric for a Shield of Faith. Once you have the money, buy yourself a nice suit of +1 Wild Dragonhide Plate for a cool 19,300 gp; you'll want a Wild shield eventually, as well. There's also a clasp in a Forgotten Realms book--can't recall which--that let's you affix a cloak and a vest to keep while you're shifting. Just pay the 1.5x penalty to enchant the crap out of that clasp, and you're set.

You could also wild shape into an ape or other humanoid shape and then put on your armor and other equipment. Your DM might not be too keen on the idea, though.

Calemyr
2007-03-25, 05:16 PM
That raises an interesting question. Does the wild enchantment work for a Shapeshift druid? That alone would solve a great deal of my problem, but I can't find anywhere saying whether it officially does or does not.

TheOOB
2007-03-25, 07:22 PM
That raises an interesting question. Does the wild enchantment work for a Shapeshift druid? That alone would solve a great deal of my problem, but I can't find anywhere saying whether it officially does or does not.

According to RAW is probally wouldn't as the wild enchantment mentions wild shape, which shapeshift is not. It's really a thing to ask your DM.