PDA

View Full Version : WEG d6 system for D&D?

Thy Dungeonman
2014-11-28, 06:54 PM
Has this been discussed before? For my gaming, WEG's d6 system was the fastest, easiest RP system I have ever used that still had some individualized flavor for characters. (Simpler systems I've played forgo differences between characters, like everyone hits on 5-6 on a 1d6 roll & has 20 HP or whatever.) Meanwhile, for depth of the game world (number of monsters, spells, campaign info), the various D&D worlds can't be matched.

So has anyone here done a conversion for using d6 with D&D's settings?

There'd be a lot of fundamental changes to get the speed I enjoyed before. Not sure where I'd begin. Gave it a start a long time ago, but lost my notes.

LibraryOgre
2014-11-28, 07:05 PM
I know WEG put out the D6 system as a general thing later, with everything available for free on DriveThru RPG for free, including their fantasy supplement. I think you could pretty easily hack D6 Star Wars into a pure fantasy game, but I would change damage resistance down to half strength (or, if you check my House Rule or Hallucination thread, make it half Stamina skill).

Thy Dungeonman
2014-11-28, 08:46 PM
The ideal for proceeding would be to come up with formulas for changing things over, so conversions could be done by anyone with the time. Plus side there, no copyright issues for non-SRD stuff people do at home without posting.

I've used the WEG d6 system from memory before (rather than their d6 book which I'd seen a long time ago but never had a chance to purchase), to devise my own stuff for homebrew non-fantasy RP. There was something I did that I think may have been taken from the d6 book, but can't recall. Namely, on the character sheet I put a big chart alongside showing numbers and the d6 rolls they equated to. Ex: 1=1, 2=2, 3=d6, 4=d6+1, 5=d6+2, 6=2d6, etc. That made it easy to just put numbers on the sheet for scores, and get the roll from the side.

And some D&D-ish numbers worked OK with that - 10 is an average stat, 3d6+1 is an average roll of 11-12 which is moderate difficulty (if I recall), so 50/50 success on a basic task without any skill. I always felt the D&D abilities were bizarre (willpower, perception, and common sense lumped into one stat=Wisdom?), but for simplicity of conversion, I'd keep them the same.

I'm a bit torn about HP. One thing that made combat in WEG's Star Wars so quick was not having HP - making instantly taking someone out of a fight a more common & easily determined occurrence. But making a conversion system for that... :smallconfused: No idea. So much of D&D revolves around HP.

If HP go, then the way spells do damage definitely needs to change. Nothing should do much more than, say, 10d6 damage, right? That was what thermal detonators did at ground zero, as I recall. And some spells would be totally useless if they do paltry damage and the game allows for damage resistance. As you said, damage resistance needs some serious consideration.

And WTF to do with AC and such? I don't know. They're so different, seems like it would be an unholy mess. But I'd love to bring together the things I liked about D&D & WEG. Maybe it would be better to use WEG's fantasy book as you mentioned with conversion geared toward that? I've never seen it.

Knaight
2014-11-28, 09:22 PM
I'd recommend grabbing the fantasy book (it is free after all), then just building things you want to emulate from scratch. You don't need a mechanical porting method, and it wouldn't even help to have one. Just build directly into the idea behind the D&D mechanics with the d6 mechanics.

Thy Dungeonman
2014-11-28, 09:48 PM
Yeah, that's sensible. As I think about it, how many D&D spells only make sense in light of the system? Like stoneskin and mage armor would shake out to the same thing if the only armor system adds to the damage reduction characters already have. Hm.