PDA

View Full Version : Roleplaying How do you stay in-character?

Extra Anchovies
2014-11-28, 07:47 PM
I often have a lot of trouble staying in character, especially during combat sequences and when they party's split up. How do you all manage to avoid slipping out of character in a system as mechanics-heavy as d20?

Blackhawk748
2014-11-28, 08:04 PM
I often have a lot of trouble staying in character, especially during combat sequences and when they party's split up. How do you all manage to avoid slipping out of character in a system as mechanics-heavy as d20?

My group uses the Minds Eye Theater thing where you have your pointer and middle fingers crossed and raised, this represents out of character. Any other time we assume you are in character. It doesnt fix everything but it does help.

Iron Angel
2014-11-28, 08:12 PM
I think he is referring to actually staying in character, as opposed to identifying when one is out of character.

That is simply a question of thespiansm. I take a few minutes before each session going over materials that were the inspiration for my character. For my Warforged, I listen to some footage of Legion from ME2/3, as his personality and character is a large inspiration for my character, and visualize my character in my head speaking to the rest of the part in his place. Doing that for a few minutes helps me solidify who my character is and how he behaves and thinks, and it helps me stay in character. Really, the idea is to visualize the character you are playing and through deep understanding you become that character.

Chronos
2014-11-28, 08:15 PM
In what ways are you slipping out of character? Are you saying things you wouldn't say, or doing things you wouldn't do, or knowing things you wouldn't know? Or are you just not "feeling it"?

CGNefarious
2014-11-28, 09:53 PM
I'll often find myself doing what I would do in a given situation or what I know would wind up being more beneficial as opposed to what my character would actually do. Since I know this is a flaw I have I just try to stay conscious of it and work to make sure I roleplay as the character I built. Doing so takes effort, but I find it to often times be more rewarding. As far as some sort of trick to stay in character? I've got nothing.

Red Fel
2014-11-29, 09:05 AM
I'd really love to be able to offer some technique or special trick, because being able to get and stay in character really adds so much value to the game. But I'm afraid all I have to offer is this anecdote:

There's a story about Dustin Hoffman and Laurence Olivier on the set of the movie Marathon Man. Hoffman was using the "method" (a.k.a. method acting) to play a man who had been kept awake for days, and so attempted to stay awake for days to better emulate that. Olivier, classically trained, was not using the method. As one would expect, Hoffman showed up on set looking like he had been awake for days. When Olivier inquired why, Hoffman explained, to which Olivier famously replied:

"Why not try acting? It's far easier."
That's really all I can offer. Getting in character is acting. It means adopting the character - his thoughts, his feelings, his memories, his past - and playing him.

I can't even describe my own method, really. It's kind of like a zen state. I simply wear the character, almost like clothing. I think about the character, and become the character. And when I'm done, I take the character off and fold it up next to the character sheet. So when I'm in character, I'm less me-playing-a-character or me-wearing-a-character, I'm more like me-vaguely-aware-that-I'm-wearing-a-character, or me-being-worn-by-the-character-I'm-wearing.

Ettina
2014-11-29, 11:14 AM
The trick is to be willing to take negative consequences for roleplaying, if the situation arises. For example, if you know you've just failed a Spot check, obviously your character doesn't know. So unless you can think of an in-character reason for them to be cautious, you should just let them charge in and spring the trap.

Burley
2014-11-29, 11:42 AM
In my experience, unless everybody at the table wants to be in-character at all times, be wary of trying to be in-character the whole session.
I feel that, while the game is more fun with "I charge in with a fierce 'Grawr!'" rather than "Gleran charges in with a fierce roar," being in-character can separate you from the most important aspect of social gaming: Being social. The game is so much more fun if you can make your friends laugh, but you can't always do that in-character. It would be funny to de-pants the BBEG during his monologue, but if you actually did it, you'd probably get laser'd.

Feel out your group, dude. If you're the only one trying to stay in-character the entire session, you're going to have less fun and your group is going to have less fun with you. I have been in a group that encouraged roleplaying, but the guy who would not speak to anybody unless it was in character was a boor. He wrote down his food orders. It made the rest of us feel like he was only there for the game and not for his friends.

So, do what you want, but, as always, gauge the group.

Edit: Also, I see a lot of people talking about acting. It's great that everybody is treating as a performance, or whatever. But, take it from a guy who has been studying Theatre (I got degrees and junk) for years: It is very difficult to write a character and be that character for an extended period of time. If you want to do that, try to write something that you identify with easily. Being a racist Bog Troll is going to be less rewarding than being a guy who wants to go do/see/find cool stuff.
In summation, you aren't an actor. You're the writer and the director and the actor. You don't have to force yourself into the role. You can force the role around you.

heavyfuel
2014-11-29, 12:17 PM
Accents and mannerisms is how I do it. My current Bard is "French" (as in, from a distant country) and sometimes forgets words that are in "English" (Common) and this is while acting somewhat like the Red Viper from the GoT show: sexually open, charming, always with adding a flair to the things he does. My also current Cleric is craven and doesn't like to go into combat. With my former LG Duskblade I spoke in a deeper voice and liked to clench into his biceps when talking.

This really helps me keep which characters are which in my mind, and is especially good when you DM. Make sure every relevant character has at least one very distinct mannerism or accent, and it will be easy to communicate to your players which character they are dealing with.

Blackhawk748
2014-11-29, 12:20 PM
We just do the Finger thing as it allows an easy distinction between IC and OOC, so we can still joke. Also my DM enjoys wearing various hats when he is running different NPCs as well as accents. Ive started doing this too.

Currently my Warblade is based off of Berethor from LOTR Third Age, so i pretty much just try to copy him, being all knightly and what not.

The Viscount
2014-11-29, 01:27 PM
While staying in character is important, it's understandable and often useful to take brief breaks when doing completely rules-based things. I certainly take a break when I do my rolling and tabulating. I find it's easiest for me to then re-enter character by describing what it is that results form my actions.

Auron3991
2014-11-29, 01:41 PM
Years of practice and a tendency to base my characters on an aspect of my personality. It's much easier when you naturally think like your character would.

Milodiah
2014-11-29, 01:58 PM
My understanding of the OP's question is "How do I stay in-character even while planning and carrying out the totally not-in-character crunch-heavy combat maneuvers?"

It's kind of weird that magic is actually easier in this regard than martial stuff. Most people assume that the names in the PHB and stuff are the spell names people generally use in-universe, so asking the cleric to cast Bull's Strength in character isn't so weird. But the martial stuff, such as the Capitalized Proper Name feats like Spring Attack can be a bit screwy...

SiuiS
2014-11-29, 02:34 PM
I think he is referring to actually staying in character, as opposed to identifying when one is out of character.

The take away was, if no one knows you're out of guarantee, there will be consequences, so people are mindful and stay in character more to avoid slip ups

I don't worry about it. My character's choices and decisions are shaped by their personality, so as long as I make those same choices or decisions, it doesn't matter if I describe the action using pure prose, mechanics, or a mixture. They are atill the right choice. I only consider it out of character when I make a choice that is more or less optimal than the character themself would, such as a blasty wizard who blasts blastily deciding to use a SoD.

I also fold this into character design. I'm currently using a drow sorcerer who is an archer, and the design principle is Implacable. They're a tank. Between familiar-granted DR, racial miss chance, wings of flurry, custom darkleaf weave armor, temporary HP, access to the vigor spell, and a third party feat that lets me burn HP instead of spell slots, so I've got indefinite vitality. I was basically able to build a dread necromancer tank-wise. Infinite out of combat healing and not distracted by all the fun undead stuff to distract me. My only offenses are power word: pain, and blade of blood for my bow.

Optimal? Hell no. The DM almost took me out with an illusion concealed pit trap full of water because no swim, and I'm currently fighting a cleric that is thankfully peacefully inclined because I'm burning action points like oil in a desert night to hit and hurt the guy with a stolen great sword, and if only I had better spells... But it's fun and dramatic and fits the character completely, despite my plinking away at roughly 15 damage a round at level six as a sorcerer.

Madhava
2014-11-29, 04:32 PM
especially during combat sequences

This... kind of stands to reason. It's understandable if emphasis is placed on the dice & rules during combat; a few rolls, some quick math, & possibly a quick reference to the Spell Compendium, in-all, might last a full minute, give or take... hingent upon level & player experience & preparedness. That minute was supposed to represent 6 seconds, which is happening near-congruently with everyone else's 6 seconds. All the while, the other players are waiting to have their go.

I find that immersion is largely hingent upon having a good DM, who can give an expressive & colorful blow-by-blow account of the combats. People don't exactly dialog during combat, I would think (not unless you're going for that comic-book-feel to it).

When there is dialog, it's usually direct & frantic. Think Russell Crowe as Maximus in any arena-scene. Or, if you can pull of a decent Kurgan-growl, then this can be good. But for gods sake don't banter; not unless you're playing a Swashbuckler-esque character, or a gnome.

Add your in-character commentary after the last enemy is felled.

and when they party's split up.

Here, your characters could be dialoging with NPC's (is your DM a good actor?) (have mercy on the other players & keep it semi-brief). If this isn't what's happening at the given moment, then you're probably just explaining to your DM what your character is doing (OOC but necessary).

Abd al-Azrad
2014-11-30, 10:01 AM
Regarding staying in-character during combat, one of the tricks I use is to fluff my combat style to reflect my character's personality. Then, every round after rolling damage (or seeing the results of my attacks) I give a quick little description of how things play out.

For instance, my psychopathic alchemist's natural attack combat style is not just "claw, claw, bite." It's more, "grabs the foe, smashes him repeatedly into the wall, while taunting him about how the property repair costs will come out of his resurrection fund."

It's a minor thing, but it helps my friends and me hold in mind that the character isn't just a disembodied source of efficient damage. Every round, there's a little reminder about who the character is and how he thinks. It keeps his presence in mind. And it is terribly fun.

(As a side note, it really helps to pre-roll your round's actions, or take other time-saving tricks, so your fellow players don't resent you for taking more than your fair turn when you take 10 seconds to describe your actions.)

Hand_of_Vecna
2014-11-30, 12:50 PM
I don't try very hard for casual games, but if I'm in for a serious roleplaying session I like to use props voices are too easy to get lazy with. A hat, glasses (or lack thereof), a coin or poker chip. Try not to make it anything too big, silly, or distracting. One of my most successful was a legal pad and a good pen for a lawyer in a modern game.

Oh this is a niche thing, but if you smoke and are allowed to smoke at the table learn to smoke like a different person.

A fun side effect is that this allows you to demonstrate things that normally don't come across well, like "my character is engaged in active listening" and you can remove the prop entirely when the group is split up and only put in on in combat for in character warcrys or commands.

Zaq
2014-11-30, 01:28 PM
I find it helps if you really like the character. I've found over the years that it's much easier for me to stay in character with some characters than with others, and it basically boils down to how much I like the character in question. I know it's not great for group harmony to have everyone swapping to a new character every month, but if you're really having a hard time staying in character, you may benefit from simply playing someone else.

Some people find it easier if you're playing characters similar to ones you've played in the past. Personally, I find it easier to stay in character if the character ISN'T too much like ones I've played previously—I get hung up on "not just being another character XYZ" and forget to actually be character ABC. I don't know what's easier for you, but maybe it's worth thinking about.

Graypairofsocks
2014-11-30, 01:30 PM
If your game isn't serious: play a character who thinks they are in some sort of simulated game world, that way if you slip out of character you can write it off as the character being nuts.

oxybe
2014-11-30, 06:28 PM
I just try my best to separate character knowledge from my own and work from there. I am not my character and vice versa. The real life Oxybe knows things that Nisha, Shump or Gon simply won't and they know things I don't.

I generally assume my characters know the basic formalities when dealing with people. I don't verbally go through all the motions and how-you-do's of bowing/kneeling/hand-shaking/pirouetting because I assume my character does that by default, barring the fish-out-of-water scenario where my character is put in a culture alien from their own.

I also assume that my character is not entirely privy to the information Oxybe the Player has. If Gon is out sneaking about with the party's monk as backup, they don't really know what the rest of the group is doing exactly. Sure there might have been a vague "you go over here and do this, we'll go over here and do that" but beyond that I don't know that the Sorc is down half health because the fighter's armor clanked too loudly and alerted the guards.

Beyond that it's simple characterization. Nisha might have a mean streak a mile long and a nasty habit of getting revenge against slights done to her, but she'll almost always act with the party's best interest in mind. Gon's a lush and generally enjoys getting blitzed in his non-adventuring time, so unless the party tells him they have a certain task need doing he'll probably be exploring the entertainment districts or the side-streets for something interesting to pass the time, be it a bar or oddities shop.

I don't do any funny voices or take any particular mannerisms. I generally find those to be a bit too tacky or silly if not done particularly right. It's more along the lines of "I/[character name] does [action]" and if needed I give the character's motivation behind the action. Nothing more complex then that.