PDA

View Full Version : Object interaction

D.U.P.A.
2014-11-28, 07:52 PM
I wanted to ask a simple rule question. Maybe it was already answered in some thread. To interact with an object you can do once a turn with a free action (or object interaction action). If I want to interact with an object twice, do I need to use action or can also bonus action, or that is only limited to Thieves?

Shadow
2014-11-28, 07:54 PM
I wanted to ask a simple rule question. Maybe it was already answered in some thread. To interact with an object you can do once a turn with a free action (or object interaction action). If I want to interact with an object twice, do I need to use action or can also bonus action, or that is only limited to Thieves?

Bonus interaction is limited to thieves.
For everyone else, a second interaction requires your action, as stated under the Actions in Combat (or whatever it's called) heading.

GiantOctopodes
2014-11-28, 07:55 PM
Twice is an action, thieves can do it as a bonus action.

D.U.P.A.
2014-11-29, 09:12 AM
This means that only Thieves can do 3 object interactions per turn, while others get 2? For changing weapons, are Thieves also the only ones who can completely change their weapons in one turn and then attack? Or how does weapon switch work?

LtDarien
2014-11-29, 09:28 AM
This means that only Thieves can do 3 object interactions per turn, while others get 2? For changing weapons, are Thieves also the only ones who can completely change their weapons in one turn and then attack? Or how does weapon switch work?

RAW, yes, sheathing a weapon and drawing another takes two interactions. However, I usually allow a PC to swap one weapon for another with only one interaction, as long as it's a 1:1 switch.

GiantOctopodes
2014-11-29, 11:56 AM

Yes, this is true- putting away a weapon and drawing another would be two object interactions. Note that there is nothing preventing them from dropping something at their feet as a free action, if it really came down to it. Note too that if you know you'll want to switch weapons next turn (that guy has been running straight at you, and you won't get off another shot before he gets there), you can make an attack -> put away your current weapon, then next turn, draw a weapon -> make an attack, so as to not lose out on a turn of attack options.

Shadow
2014-11-29, 01:41 PM
The idea of not requiring the drawing of a weapon to take any action was that simple things like swapping weapons didn't take an action either. You can charge your players two interactions to swap weapons if you want to, but things like that were intended to be free.
There's a tweet on it somewhere saying so.

The one free per turn thing was more about actions like kicking in a door. Now it doesn't require an action unless you wanted to kick in two of them.
That was the point of it.