PDA

View Full Version : Clarification should be sought on the game term "Target"

GiantOctopodes
2014-11-28, 10:56 PM
A simple errata, which in my humble opinion should read "Anyone who is affected by a spell is considered a target of that spell" would go a *long* way towards smoothing out a lot of questions and concerns regarding spells floating around right now. Note that this is not currently what that game term means. However, the game term is poorly defined and poorly executed. I don't know what the delay is on releasing an official errata or FAQ, but that one line would do wonders. I recommend as many people as possible request clarification on the meaning of the word "target", and ask whether someone not chosen as a target of a spell, but suffering its effects (such as those in the area of a cone of cold) are considered targets for the purpose of other spells and game effects that use that term.

Jlooney
2014-11-28, 11:01 PM
A simple errata, which in my humble opinion should read "Anyone who is affected by a spell is considered a target of that spell" would go a *long* way towards smoothing out a lot of questions and concerns regarding spells floating around right now. Note that this is not currently what that game term means. However, the game term is poorly defined and poorly executed. I don't know what the delay is on releasing an official errata or FAQ, but that one line would do wonders. I recommend as many people as possible request clarification on the meaning of the word "target", and ask whether someone not chosen as a target of a spell, but suffering its effects (such as those in the area of a cone of cold) are considered targets for the purpose of other spells and game effects that use that term.

Can you give an example of where this has caused some issues? I don't mean to be rude but I just can't thing of any time this has been an issue for me

Eslin
2014-11-28, 11:11 PM
Can you give an example of where this has caused some issues? I don't mean to be rude but I just can't thing of any time this has been an issue for me

Find steed. Every bard or character that can cast wish wants to know.

GiantOctopodes
2014-11-28, 11:27 PM
Also nondetection. As written, it's practically useless, as it only protects against divination spells that target you, which is basically just locate creature. It also protects against scrying sensors, and I suppose that's a boon in and of itself, but I suspect it is intended to do more.