PDA

View Full Version : D&D 3.5 What is that Aberration...?

Borgog
2014-11-29, 01:01 AM
Working on a build with Druid's Aberration Wild Shape feat from BoM. I saw an Aberration with multiple natural weapon attacks, starts with an R... I've looked through all the Monster Manuals and I can't find it. Anyone hear of it? (Or any other Aberrations with lots of natural weapons?)

eggynack
2014-11-29, 01:03 AM
I'm going to go with the rukanyr, from the fiend folio page 144.

Edit: Incidentally, if you seek more form information, I could send the handbook I'm working on which has a good aberration form list. Missing the rukanyr though, cause the section is inclined more towards the weird abilities you can pick up than towards high combat prowess.

ShurikVch
2014-11-29, 10:05 AM
Working on a build with Druid's Aberration Wild Shape feat from BoM. I saw an Aberration with multiple natural weapon attacks, starts with an R... I've looked through all the Monster Manuals and I can't find it. Anyone hear of it? (Or any other Aberrations with lots of natural weapons?) Starts with R... :smallconfused:
Roach Thrall? (Sharn - City of Towers) - 4 claws
Roper, prismatic? (MM3) - 4 tentacles

other Aberrations with lots of natural weapons:
Aboleth - 4 tentacles
Carrion crawler - 8 tentacles
Gibbering mouther - 6 bites and spittle
Grick - 4 tentacles
Mind Flayer - 4 tentacles
Roper - 6 strands and bite

Fiend Folio:
Chwidencha - 4 claws
Darkweaver - 4 tentacles
Maulgoth - 4 tentacles and bite
Ocularon - 4 tentacles
Yuan-Ti Anathema - 2 claws and 6 bites

MM2:
Avolakia - bite and 8 claws
Darktentacles - 12 slams
Great Fihyr - 4 bites
Grell - 10 tentacles
Moonbest - 10 tentacles
Wyste - 7 tentacles

MM3:
Otyugh, Lifeleech - 4 tentacles and bite
Shrieking Terror - 5 bites (Five-Headed Terror) or 10 bites (Ten-Headed Terror)
Stonesinger - bite and 6 claws

MM5:
Shadow Flayer - 4 tentacles
Thoon Elder Brain - 8 tentacles
Spirrax - 6 tentacles

Lords of Madness:
Hound of the Gloom - bite, 2 claws, 2 tentacles
Embrac - 4 tentacles and bite
Ulitharid - tentacles: 2 long and 4 short
Shaboath - 4 slams
Urophion - 6 strands and bite

eggynack
2014-11-29, 02:16 PM
Starts with R... :smallconfused:
Not really sure why you're confused. I'm pretty sure I got it in one. Aberration, starts with an r, and an unnatural quantity of natural attacks (particularly three bites). The rukanyr fits perfectly.

Extra Anchovies
2014-11-29, 06:03 PM
Probably the Rukanyr. They're one of the best forms for Aberration Wildshape.

eggynack
2014-11-29, 06:17 PM
They're one of the best forms for Aberration Wildshape.
I'm kinda doubtful in a world that has the nilshai, thoon elder brain, will-o'-wisp, dolgaunt, dharculus, and a lot of other really powerful forms.

Extra Anchovies
2014-11-29, 06:21 PM
I'm kinda doubtful in a world that has the nilshai, thoon elder brain, will-o'-wisp, dolgaunt, dharculus, and a lot of other really powerful forms.

Well, all of those are nice, but the Rukanyr is an excellent combat form, since it has ten attacks and is accessible from level 7. (well, 8, cuz that's when you get Wild Shape (Large), but it only has 7 HD).

eggynack
2014-11-29, 06:28 PM
Well, all of those are nice, but the Rukanyr is an excellent combat form, since it has ten attacks and is accessible from level 7. (well, 8, cuz that's when you get Wild Shape (Large), but it only has 7 HD).
It's a good combat form, but even in that context I think it's worse than the thoon elder brain, with its eight attacks backed up by casting, assuming you read dual action that way. Beyond that, direct combat is always reasonable, but it's not as good as just augmenting your magic, because magic is the core power source of the game. The rukanyr is a big fish in a small pond.

Thrice Dead Cat
2014-11-30, 12:51 AM
Hey, sometimes the game is a small pond full of big, dumb fish. If the OP is in such a game going for the 10 slam attacks might be the way to go. Plus, doing so doesn't magically bar him from not eventually using more caster-y forms.

eggynack
2014-11-30, 12:54 AM
Hey, sometimes the game is a small pond full of big, dumb fish. If the OP is in such a game going for the 10 slam attacks might be the way to go. Plus, doing so doesn't magically bar him from not eventually using more caster-y forms.
Sure. Perfectly acceptable form, the rukanyr. I just take exception to the idea that they're one of the best forms for aberration wild shape.

Temotei
2014-11-30, 12:54 AM

I don't think eggy disagrees with this so much as that rukanyr is one of the best options, even in combat.

I have been ninja'd.

ShurikVch
2014-11-30, 05:39 AM
Darktentacles have 9 HD, so accessible just one level later than Rukanyr
Besides it's twelve slams, improved grab and constrict, tentacles also can use weapon: Enhanced Multiweapon Fighting - 1 main weapon and 11 light weapons for no attack penalty

Thrice Dead Cat
2014-11-30, 01:06 PM
Sure. Perfectly acceptable form, the rukanyr. I just take exception to the idea that they're one of the best forms for aberration wild shape.

Fair enough. I misunderstood what you were getting at. On that note, are there any amazing caster-shapes with what you get out of them? Or do you be need metamorphic transfer to get the really good effects?

eggynack
2014-11-30, 02:09 PM
Fair enough. I misunderstood what you were getting at. On that note, are there any amazing caster-shapes with what you get out of them? Or do you be need metamorphic transfer to get the really good effects?
You only need enhance wild shape to make fullest use of the forms I listed, and thoon elder brain doesn't require even that. So, all of the creatures in that post with strong forms would satisfy this requirement, though it's not exhaustive. As tends to be the case, the nilshai with its doubled spells per round is probably the absolute highest power level form.