PDA

View Full Version : Rules Q&A Immediate actions

Belgarath3
2014-11-29, 11:09 AM
In my gaming group we do not normally use swift and immediate actions but my gm have given me permission to do so for my new sorcerer.

If I cast nerveskitter right before combat can I cast an additional swift og immediate action spell om my upcomming/ first turn og do I have to wait until the next turn?

I am a little confused by this so any help would be apreciated😄

heavyfuel
2014-11-29, 11:15 AM
Using an Immediate action eats up the Swift action from you next turn.

So if you use Nerveskitter before initiative, when your turn comes, you won't have your Swift action ready to use, although you can use another Immediate action, as it's going to consume the Swift action from your next turn, which is available.

Jack_Simth
2014-11-29, 11:18 AM
In my gaming group we do not normally use swift and immediate actions but my gm have given me permission to do so for my new sorcerer.

If I cast nerveskitter right before combat can I cast an additional swift og immediate action spell om my upcomming/ first turn og do I have to wait until the next turn?

I am a little confused by this so any help would be apreciated😄

When cast out of turn, an Immediate action eats up your Swift action for your next turn. So when you cast Nervskitter during initiative (normally you couldn't cast it while flat-footed, but Nervskitter, specifically, is an exception), then you don't get a Swift action on the first turn of combat (so you could not, say, use the HP option of the Minor Shapeshift Reserve feat from Complete Mage).

When cast on your turn, an Immediate action eats up your swift action for that round instead. So if you cast, say, Wings of Cover on your turn to negate an AoO, that eats up your swift action that round.

More Reading (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/combat/actionsInCombat.htm#immediateActions)

Belgarath3
2014-11-29, 11:43 AM
Thanks for your quick replies😄
A question more if I may:
I am about to hit level 9 soon and I am thinking about choosing Greater Mirror Image as ny new level 4 spell but I already have Wings of Cover and I am unsure of how they interact. If I have cast Mirror Image and an opponent attacks me and chooses the correct(real me) can I still cast wings of cover to negate the hit? Or do I not know in time that the hit will actually land?

heavyfuel
2014-11-29, 12:06 PM
As an Immediate action, you can use Wings of Cover to negate the hit, assuming you can see the attack coming (as in, the enemy is neither hidden and nor you are flatfooted)

Jack_Simth
2014-11-29, 12:25 PM
As an Immediate action, you can use Wings of Cover to negate the hit, assuming you can see the attack coming (as in, the enemy is neither hidden and nor you are flatfooted)

Note, however, that you can't cast both at the same time. So if you cast Greater Mirror Image as an Immediate action in response to someone taking a swing at you, you've used up your swift action for the next round already, and can't cast Wings of Cover in response to him guessing the correct image still on his turn. On his next turn you could (and your Greater Mirror Image will still be up and operational, most likely), but not this one.

Belgarath3
2014-11-29, 12:35 PM
Thank you very much😄

heavyfuel
2014-11-29, 12:36 PM
Note, however, that you can't cast both at the same time. So if you cast Greater Mirror Image as an Immediate action in response to someone taking a swing at you, you've used up your swift action for the next round already, and can't cast Wings of Cover in response to him guessing the correct image still on his turn. On his next turn you could (and your Greater Mirror Image will still be up and operational, most likely), but not this one.

Indeed. I assumed we had already covered that you can't take two immediate action on the same turn (although if you cast GMI on your turn, then it's cast as a Swift Action. If on the enemies turn, he guesses right, you can then use WoC to eat the Swift Action of your next turn)

Belgarath3
2014-11-29, 12:41 PM
Indeed. I assumed we had already covered that you can't take two immediate action on the same turn (although if you cast GMI on your turn, then it's cast as a Swift Action. If on the enemies turn, he guesses right, you can then use WoC to eat the Swift Action of your next turn)

Sure I got that. I suppose I should have specified that it was in the event that I already had mirror image up and running from a previous turn. My bad😃