PDA

View Full Version : Can a Homunculus become a Necropolitan?

unseenmage
2014-11-29, 12:48 PM
If not then how about one affected by the Greater Humanoid Essence (RoE) spell?

Also, if Necropolitan were a template how would this section read?

"Creating A Half-Fiend Necropolitan

"Necropolitan" is an inherited template that can be added to any living, corporeal creature with an Intelligence score of 4 or more and nongood alignment ( <- This is the bit I'm unsure about.) (referred to hereafter as the base creature).

A half-fiend Necropolitan uses all the base creature’s statistics and special abilities except as noted here. "

Urpriest
2014-11-29, 12:51 PM
If not then how about one affected by the Greater Humanoid Essence (RoE) spell?

Also, if Necropolitan were a template how would this section read?

"Creating A Half-Fiend Necropolitan

"Necropolitan" is an inherited template that can be added to any living, corporeal creature with an Intelligence score of 4 or more and nongood alignment ( <- This is the bit I'm unsure about.) (referred to hereafter as the base creature).

A half-fiend Necropolitan uses all the base creature’s statistics and special abilities except as noted here. "

Necropolitan is a template, so I'm not sure what you're getting at here. It can only be applied to humanoids and monstrous humanoids. While you'd need to make Greater Humanoid Essence last the duration of the ritual, it would presumably work.

unseenmage
2014-11-29, 12:54 PM
Necropolitan is a template, so I'm not sure what you're getting at here. It can only be applied to humanoids and monstrous humanoids. While you'd need to make Greater Humanoid Essence last the duration of the ritual, it would presumably work.

Any chance you could cite the part of the text that specifically says humanoids & monstrous humanoids? Can't for the life of me find it.

Doc_Maynot
2014-11-29, 12:58 PM
Top of Page 115, right below "Creating a Necropolitan" it states, "Necropolitan" is an acquired template that can be added to any humanoid or monstrous humanoid (referred to hereafter as the base creature).

atemu1234
2014-11-29, 01:02 PM
Top of Page 115, right below "Creating a Necropolitan" it states, "Necropolitan" is an acquired template that can be added to any humanoid or monstrous humanoid (referred to hereafter as the base creature).

Now I want to make a Necropolitan Minotaur with LA buyoff.

Threadnaught
2014-11-29, 01:05 PM
In addition to what Urpriest and Doc_Maynot have said, Necropolitan has no alignment restriction.

Doc_Maynot
2014-11-29, 01:07 PM
Now I want to make a Necropolitan Minotaur with LA buyoff.

Necropolitans don't technically have an LA, but what it would do is take away two (one full level as per raise dead, and then 1,000XP) of the minotaur's RHD. Which basically buys off the Minotaur LA for you.

unseenmage
2014-11-29, 11:33 PM

Thank you both very much. I, for whatever reason, was somehow thinking it was formatted like the Dragonborn (RotD) race and just wasn't seeing that line of text.

Anyone have any ideas about extending the duration of Greater Humanoid Essence at a level low enough that this is worth doing to a Homunculus? Just because I'm curious really.

Sian
2014-11-30, 06:16 AM
Thank you both very much. I, for whatever reason, was somehow thinking it was formatted like the Dragonborn (RotD) race and just wasn't seeing that line of text.

IIRC, that is Dragonborn thats formatted 'wrong' and Necropolitan formatted as standard

Xuldarinar
2014-11-30, 09:27 AM
Can a Homunculus, given the proper circumstances, become a necropolitan? Yes.
But there is a process, with things to consider.

Step 1. Find the necropolitan community. They wouldn't be easy to find, for reasons that should be obvious. I'd say find a necromancer that can preform the rite, or learn it yourself, but every indication is it is only possible for these guys to do it. If you cannot find them, for what ever reason, you are out of luck.

Step 2. The homunculus needs to apply for it, something that costs money each time you apply and will take some convincing to get it approved, more so than usual.

Step 3. Prior to the ritual being preformed, you need to have access to Greater Humanoid Essence and a means to get it's 1 minute/level duration upwards of 24-hours. It lasts 24 hours but you don't want the case to be such that casting it right before means it will run out right before the ritual ends.

Step 4. Hopefully the easiest, wait. The ritual, if going uninterrupted, will result in a necropolitan homunculus. Keep in mind though, something very important in all this. Part of the ritual is they are nailed to something via cursed nails. If for some reason they are not structurally such they can do this, and perhaps a certain number need be used in this, then the ritual cannot physically be done. It shouldn't be an issue, but it could be.

ShurikVch
2014-11-30, 09:58 AM
How about the Incarnated Homunculus?

Urpriest
2014-11-30, 10:10 AM
How about the Incarnated Homunculus?

That should work fine.

Rubik
2014-11-30, 10:10 AM
As with just about everything else, PAO should allow you to meet the (Monstrous) Humanoid prereqs for 24 hours.

torrasque666
2014-11-30, 02:49 PM
IIRC, that is Dragonborn thats formatted 'wrong' and Necropolitan formatted as standard

Not really. Necropolitan keeps most of what makes you a human/orc/goliath/etc. Dragonborn doesn't. Dragonborn i would call a pseudorace, but not a template. Race still fits it better.