PDA

View Full Version : Please help me with crafting

AsheItachi
2014-11-29, 01:02 PM
I'm trying to figure out how much a ring
of greater invisibility will cost

Or a regular ring give invisibility that you don't have to activate it just continuously turned you invisible

If that's not feasible can you put meta-magic quicken invisibility on a range such as the ring of invisibility but with meta-magic quickened

Extra Anchovies
2014-11-29, 01:57 PM
Magic item craft prices are near the back of chapter 7 of the DMG.

Kelb_Panthera
2014-11-29, 02:19 PM
Well, let's see.

Ring of invisibility:

2 spell level X 3 caster level X 1800gp for the command activation makes =10800 plus an ad-hoc since once every 3 minutes is essentially always on; X 1.85 rounded to the nearest thousand.

Running G. invisibility through the same formula gets us

4th level X 7th CL X 1800 X 1.85 rounded off makes 93,000 for a ring of greater invisibility based off of the standard ring of invisibility in the DMG.

Alternately

4 X 7 X 2000 for the always on constant X 2 for minutes per level duration makes 112,000gp for a ring of greater invisibility that can't be shut off.

Jack_Simth
2014-11-29, 02:43 PM
Well, let's see.

Ring of invisibility:

2 spell level X 3 caster level X 1800gp for the command activation makes =10800 plus an ad-hoc since once every 3 minutes is essentially always on; X 1.85 rounded to the nearest thousand.

Running G. invisibility through the same formula gets us

4th level X 7th CL X 1800 X 1.85 rounded off makes 93,000 for a ring of greater invisibility based off of the standard ring of invisibility in the DMG.

Alternately

4 X 7 X 2000 for the always on constant X 2 for minutes per level duration makes 112,000gp for a ring of greater invisibility that can't be shut off.

Greater Invisibility is rounds/level, not minutes/level. So it'd be 4*7*2000*4=224,000 ... which puts it out of the range of a standard item; it hits the Epic Magic Item Requirement (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/epic/magicItems/basics.htm), specifically the "Has a market price above 200,000 gp, not including material costs for armor or weapons, material component- or experience point-based costs, or additional value for intelligent items." You'll need Forge Epic Ring to make it (or put some limitations on it worth at least 15%).

Do it as a command word, but put the command-word in Drow Sign so you don't have to speak every seven rounds, and it's:
4*7*1800 + any ad-hock = 50,400 +/- any ad-hock.

Extend it, (so every 18 rounds to activate) and it's:
5*9*1800 + any ad-hock = 81,000 +/- any ad-hock.

Kelb_Panthera
2014-11-29, 03:29 PM
Greater Invisibility is rounds/level, not minutes/level. So it'd be 4*7*2000*4=224,000 ... which puts it out of the range of a standard item; it hits the Epic Magic Item Requirement (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/epic/magicItems/basics.htm), specifically the "Has a market price above 200,000 gp, not including material costs for armor or weapons, material component- or experience point-based costs, or additional value for intelligent items." You'll need Forge Epic Ring to make it (or put some limitations on it worth at least 15%).

Do it as a command word, but put the command-word in Drow Sign so you don't have to speak every seven rounds, and it's:
4*7*1800 + any ad-hock = 50,400 +/- any ad-hock.

Extend it, (so every 18 rounds to activate) and it's:
5*9*1800 + any ad-hock = 81,000 +/- any ad-hock.

He's right. I missed the duration line on G. invisibility. Drop the ad-hoc and use the 81k value. I don't think you can put the command in drow sign, though. I'll have to check my copy of DotU.

Jack_Simth
2014-11-29, 03:48 PM
He's right. I missed the duration line on G. invisibility. Drop the ad-hoc and use the 81k value. I don't think you can put the command in drow sign, though. I'll have to check my copy of DotU.I don't believe it's specifically addressed anywhere. However, Drow Sign is a full language that one can speak. It's just, you know, not verbal. Nothing in the actual Command Word Definition (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/magicItemBasics.htm#commandWord) requires that it be a verbal language, and for something like a Ring of Invisibility, making it a nonverbal trigger is going to be very, very useful.

Urpriest
2014-11-29, 03:55 PM
That said, generally the custom item rules are for adding new items particular to a specific setting/campaign. Usually if a generic item based on Core spells was appropriate it would have already been presented in Core.

AsheItachi
2014-11-30, 12:37 PM
Thanks for all your replies I've been having trouble trying to figure out the prices for these magic items I want to make I suck with Math and the rules just aren't 100% specific for me does anybody know of any guides that would help for creating magic items

Kelb_Panthera
2014-11-30, 12:42 PM
Thanks for all your replies I've been having trouble trying to figure out the prices for these magic items I want to make I suck with Math and the rules just aren't 100% specific for me does anybody know of any guides that would help for creating magic items

Unfortunately, magic item creation is something squarely in "work with your DM" territory. The only extant guidelines are those in the back of the DMG.