PDA

View Full Version : Vistani in 5e.

bloodshed343
2014-11-29, 03:18 PM
Is there anything about the vistani in 5e? What would be the best way to implement them? I'm thinking of home brewing a background.

MaxWilson
2014-11-29, 03:58 PM
I can't quite remember what the Vistani are, but if they are the gypsies from Ravenloft then, well, Ravenloft is mentioned in the DMG so they definitely exist. I'm quite sure they don't have any Vistani backgrounds listed (the DMG is very light on PC-creation crunch, it just has minimalist examples to illustrate the customization process, and none of it involves the Vistani) so feel quite free to create your own.

If the Vistani are those Spelljammer super-werewolves with 17th level transmuters all over the place, then again no, there is even less information in the DMG in that case, beyond the mere fact that Spelljammer is mentioned briefly in a few places.

bloodshed343
2014-11-29, 04:33 PM
Vistani are the gypsies. They weren't limited to raven loft in 4e. Also the 4e Vistani Heritage feat gave a bonus power. I don't know if that would be too powerful for a background.

MaxWilson
2014-11-29, 04:42 PM
Probably. The DMG's approach so custom races/etc. is to basically say, "Compare it with others already in the PHB and make sure it's about the same. If someone would want to use this feature all the time it is probably too powerful."

It depends on how weak the Vistani power you're thinking of is, but for the most part background features in the PHB are mostly fluff (e.g. can automatically find food and water in the wilderness and has a good memory for maps), so it would have to be a pretty weak power.

Starsinger
2014-11-29, 05:32 PM
Honestly, if you made Vistani a background, their trait should be being able to pass through the mists.

bloodshed343
2014-11-29, 06:37 PM
The power would be a bonus action ranged spell that gives you advantage against the target and prevents them from moving closer to you for one turn.

MaxWilson
2014-11-29, 07:07 PM
The power would be a bonus action ranged spell that gives you advantage against the target and prevents them from moving closer to you for one turn.

Nope, that ability is definitely inappropriate for a background. It could work as a racial ability though, if it's restricted to 1/long rest.

bloodshed343
2014-11-29, 07:21 PM
So, would +2 int, +1 con, +1 wis with a racial bonus to survival and nature be out of hand? If I make them a race, I'd like to give them something similar to the augury spell as a spell like ability.

MaxWilson
2014-11-29, 07:24 PM
So, would +2 int, +1 con, +1 wis with a racial bonus to survival and nature be out of hand? If I make them a race, I'd like to give them something similar to the augury spell as a spell like ability.

That's too much. Drop one of the bonuses (+2 int/+1 con would be okay), especially if you're planning on giving them both augury and also your custom push-back spell, and delay Augury until 3rd level. Those are my recommendations but you're free, of course, to ignore them.

bloodshed343
2014-11-29, 08:00 PM
Int/con sounds fine. What about dark vision? And an advantage to saves vs charm (as the mistwalker: fey option) or an advantage to saves vs fear (as the mistwalker: shadow option)

MaxWilson
2014-11-29, 09:19 PM
Int/con sounds fine. What about dark vision? And an advantage to saves vs charm (as the mistwalker: fey option) or an advantage to saves vs fear (as the mistwalker: shadow option)

Fluff-wise I'd say darkvision is inappropriate. They're basically human, right?

Advantage to saves vs. charm or fear would be okay if you dropped the innate spells.

bloodshed343
2014-11-29, 09:27 PM
They're magic humans that can cross the veil to the shadowfell or feywild at will.

Madfellow
2014-11-29, 09:40 PM
Here's how I would do it. I basically used the Drow as the chassis and swapped a few things out. I think it works.

Ability Score Increase: Your Constitution score increases by 1, and your Intelligence score increases by 2.
Darkvision: You can see in dim light within 60 feet of you as if it were bright light, and in darkness as if it were dim light.
Naturalism: You have proficiency in the Nature skill.
Fey Ancestry: You have advantage on saving throws against being charmed, and magic can't put you to sleep.
Vistani Magic: You know the True Strike cantrip. When you reach 3rd level, you can cast the Bless spell once per day. When you reach 5th level, you can cast the Augury spell once per day. Intelligence is your spellcasting ability for these spells.

Hope this helps.

S_Dalsgaard
2014-11-30, 07:06 AM
Here's how I would do it. I basically used the Drow as the chassis and swapped a few things out. I think it works.

Ability Score Increase: Your Constitution score increases by 1, and your Intelligence score increases by 2.
Darkvision: You can see in dim light within 60 feet of you as if it were bright light, and in darkness as if it were dim light.
Naturalism: You have proficiency in the Nature skill.
Fey Ancestry: You have advantage on saving throws against being charmed, and magic can't put you to sleep.
Vistani Magic: You know the True Strike cantrip. When you reach 3rd level, you can cast the Bless spell once per day. When you reach 5th level, you can cast the Augury spell once per day. Intelligence is your spellcasting ability for these spells.

Hope this helps.

I think that the Vistani Magic is too much, without giving them a disadvantage too (like the drow Sunlight Sensitivity).

bloodshed343
2014-11-30, 09:29 AM
Eh, given the magic in question, it's about even with tiefling, or a little worse.

MaxWilson
2014-11-30, 11:15 AM
Eh, given the magic in question, it's about even with tiefling, or a little worse.

Are you kidding? Bless and Augury about the best cleric spells there are! Waaaay better than Hellish Rebuke and Darkness.

bloodshed343
2014-11-30, 01:54 PM
Are you kidding? Bless and Augury about the best cleric spells there are! Waaaay better than Hellish Rebuke and Darkness.

I had to reread the spells in question. Bless is a lot better than I thought (I thought it only effected the next roll, not all rolls). I also thought that augury had a chance to give false info every time you cast it. I need to re-read that chapter when I'm not exhausted.