PDA

View Full Version : Shaman / Medicine Man / Witchdoctor Background [Looking for feedback]

zeek0
2014-11-29, 04:51 PM
Background: Shaman [Medicine Man, Witchdoctor]
You live your life as a mediator, diviner, storyteller, healer, and psychopomp. Among your people you serve as a carrier of traditions and conduit of archaic wisdom.

Skill Proficiencies: Medicine, Survival
Weapon Proficiency: Blowgun
Tool Proficiencies: Herbalism Kit, Poisoner’s Kit,
Equipment: Antitoxin (vial), Herbalism kit, Poisoner's kit, rustic clothing, natural ritualistic items, and a belt pouch containing 5 gp

Feature: Commune with Spirits
If confronted by a natural spirit, you can attempt to force the situation - treat this as a turn undead attempt. If successful, you have made a great display of respect and tradition, and the target is inclined to avoid attacking the group, or leave combat if it has begun.
Communing only gives an opening. An intelligent spirit may give a chance to talk, a friendly spirit will be more helpful, and a hostile spirit may rethink a violent act.
If the attempt would destroy creatures of a given CR, then instead the spirit is definitely helpful or flees.
If you do not have the Channel Divinity class feature, you gain one Channel Divinity, only usable for Commune with Spirits.
A natural spirit is any intelligent animal, animate plant, fey, or elemental that dwells naturally in the world.

Suggested Characteristics:
Shamanistic practices are usually learned in order to preserve social order and benefit individuals in your society. Many are part of druidic traditions, but all are steeped in reverence of the social order. In relation to more organized religions shamans are often viewed as lesser or barbaric practitioners of spiritual activity.

d8 Personality Trait
1 - I am slow to trust people that are not members of my social group.
2 - I am deeply reverent of nature at the expense of people and cities
3 - The natural world is a terrible and brutal place, and so am I.
4 - I have faced oppression for my beliefs, and I am reticent to express them.
5 - Tradition is the backbone of any society, and following it gives much benefit.
6 - I believe that the spirits are in control of our fate and we only act out the part.
7 - The spirits have taught me to be tolerant and understanding of all creatures.
8 - Mortal life is less real and important than the world of the spirits.

d6 Ideal
1 - Tradition. I honor the ways of my ancestors. (Lawful)
2 - Wild. Nature abhors a wall. (Chaotic)
3 - Nature. The natural world is more important than all the constructs of civilization. (Neutral)
4 - Savagery. Be like a predator - sudden, deadly, and hungering. (Evil)
5 - Balance. The natural world seeks balance in all things. (Neutral)
6 - Greater Good. It is my duty to use my abilities to help people and assist the ailing.

d6 Bond
1 - I must always protect my homeland and my people.
2 - Protection of the spirits and the natural order is paramount.
3 - I sold my soul for greater deeds and power. I hope to do great deeds and win it back.
4 - My life is my devotion to my people and their traditions.
5 - I have been searching my whole life for the answer to a certain question.
6 - I have been entrusted with a powerful secret, and I must not let it fall into the wrong hands.

d6 Flaw
1 - I find it hard to take worldly matters seriously.
2 - I only value the needs of my tribe and I do not care for other civilizations.
3 - The spirits often interfere with my life and request things of me.
4 - I am in awe of natural spirits and am afraid to act against them.
5 - I am flighty and prone to distraction
6 - I am deeply mistrustful of members of other faiths.

What do you think? I thought that the blowgun proficiency was minimally beneficial, and the feature was slightly strong, but overall it is not overpowering.

Thanks for your feedback!

Some attribution goes to William Timmons and his Animist Acolyte background, which provided me with inspiration and the Feature.

Madfellow
2014-11-29, 10:21 PM
The Commune With Spirits ability seems a bit too strong. Other than that it looks good. Maybe change it so that spirits regard you as friendly if they would otherwise be indifferent, or indifferent if they would otherwise be hostile.

CyberThread
2014-11-29, 10:23 PM
It needs to be one or the other, You shouldn't get weapon and kit proficiency.

You have to many things going on with each other. It is a "good" background, you just giving away to many goodies though.

Shadow
2014-11-29, 10:25 PM
The Commune With Spirits ability seems a bit too strong. Other than that it looks good. Maybe change it so that spirits regard you as friendly if they would otherwise be indifferent, or indifferent if they would otherwise be hostile.

Not only is it too strong, it's completely inappropriate.
Backgrounds never offer combat options. They offer RP options.
Turn Undead is most certainly a combat option, as is a weapon proficiency.
Commune With Spirits needs to change and Blowgun proficiency needs to go bye-bye.

Madfellow
2014-11-29, 10:30 PM
It needs to be one or the other, You shouldn't get weapon and kit proficiency.

Turn Undead is most certainly a combat option, as is a weapon proficiency.
Commune With Spirits needs to change and Blowgun proficiency needs to go bye-bye.

To be fair, the blowgun is the weakest weapon in the game. It seems to be more of a fluff thing than anything else.

Shadow
2014-11-29, 10:32 PM
To be fair, the blowgun is the weakest weapon in the game. It seems to be more of a fluff thing than anything else.

Not when he also automatically has poisoner's kit proficiency.
Now that crappy blowgun deals a ton of damage and possibly a status effect.

I stand by my statement. No combat options in a BG. BGs are for RP, not for combat. It even says so right in the section on creating your own.
CwS needs to change and BG:prof needs to go.

zeek0
2014-11-29, 10:45 PM
Alright, I changed the Feature to this so that is is less mechanically driven:

If confronted by a natural spirit, you can attempt to force the situation with the entity. You can make a great display of respect and tradition, and the entity is inclined to be more favorable toward you and your party. Communing gives an opening: an intelligent spirit may give a chance to talk, a friendly spirit will be more helpful, and a hostile spirit may rethink a violent act. A natural spirit is any intelligent animal, animate plant, fey, or elemental that dwells naturally in the world.

As to the blowgun proficiency: I could use a shortbow instead, use poison, get 1d6 damage, get rid of loading, and a benefit from a much longer range. The blowgun is really just flavor.

The only thing better about the blowgun is that it's one-handed and is 1 lb. lighter. Not great benefits, but I like the flavor with the background.

Shadow
2014-11-29, 10:49 PM
Alright, I changed the Feature to this so that is is less mechanically driven:

If confronted by a natural spirit, you can attempt to force the situation with the entity. You can make a great display of respect and tradition, and the entity is inclined to be more favorable toward you and your party. Communing gives an opening: an intelligent spirit may give a chance to talk, a friendly spirit will be more helpful, and a hostile spirit may rethink a violent act. A natural spirit is any intelligent animal, animate plant, fey, or elemental that dwells naturally in the world.

As to the blowgun proficiency: I could use a shortbow instead, use poison, get 1d6 damage, get rid of loading, and a benefit from a much longer range. The blowgun is really just flavor.

The only thing better about the blowgun is that it's one-handed and is 1 lb. lighter. Not great benefits, but I like the flavor with the background.

Not any better.
It should read:
Communing gives an opening: an intelligent spirit may give a chance to talk, and a friendly spirit will be more helpful. A natural spirit is any intelligent animal, animate plant, fey, or elemental that dwells naturally in the world.
This ability has no effect on hostile spirits.

RP, not combat.

zeek0
2014-11-29, 10:56 PM
In my experience RP can be used in combat.

After all, a character can say:

"Hey, wait! We're on your side!"

or

"Stop! Don't move any further or I'll drop the amulet into the magma below!"

or

"You don't know who you're messing with. You know that I'm the earl's son, right?"

Does it seem reasonable that a shaman could use his knowledge of spirits to placate them a bit during combat?

JoeJ
2014-11-29, 10:58 PM
In a world where magic is real, a tribal shaman/medicine man/witchdoctor should be able to cast spells. That points to a class or sub-class (of warlock, perhaps) rather than a background.

For a background, I'd call it something more general, like Tribe Member and make it similar to Outlander but come up with a feature that's more about being part of a community than living alone in the wilderness.

Shadow
2014-11-29, 10:59 PM
Does it seem reasonable that a shaman could use his knowledge of spirits to placate them a bit during combat?

If that knowledge comes from a class feature or a feat, Yes.
If that ability comes directly from his background, No.
Backgrounds never offer combat mechanics.

Madfellow
2014-11-29, 11:04 PM

You're missing the point. They meant you should remove the weapon proficiency altogether, not make it stronger.

zeek0
2014-11-29, 11:28 PM
You're missing the point. They meant you should remove the weapon proficiency altogether, not make it stronger.

But the shortbow is a simple weapon, which means that basically anyone can use it and be better than a blowgun. The blowgun is a silly martial weapon, and is only good for the flavor.

If that knowledge comes from a class feature or a feat, Yes.
If that ability comes directly from his background, No.
Backgrounds never offer combat mechanics.

The Military Rank Feature (Soldier) says "You can invoke your rank to exert influence over other soldiers." The Position of Privilege Feature says "The common folk make every effort to avoid your displeasure". Does this count as RP in combat if you invoke rank during combat or shame the common folk into backing off?

zeek0
2014-11-29, 11:35 PM
In a world where magic is real, a tribal shaman/medicine man/witchdoctor should be able to cast spells. That points to a class or sub-class (of warlock, perhaps) rather than a background.

For a background, I'd call it something more general, like Tribe Member and make it similar to Outlander but come up with a feature that's more about being part of a community than living alone in the wilderness.

I'm trying to build an Outlander-like background that is not built on strength. Its just a different motif.

I am having trouble imagining a feature that would be about being part of a community. Do you have any in mind?

MinaBee
2014-11-30, 09:52 AM
A few things:

1) "Medicine Man" and "witch doctor" are White People terms. It's a little jarring to hear them in a D&D setting, since most D&D settings don't feature a sovereign power enacting Colonialism.

2) Backgrounds never grant weapon proficiencies. Like, never.

3) Even if they did, you've got three non-skill proficiencies. Backgrounds only ever grant two.

4) Features never grant mechanical benefits or combat options. (Yeah, you could invoke your trait while talking your way out of combat, but that is it. It should take some creativity at that.)

5) Idk, 'archaic wisdom'? Inspired by William Timmons' 'animist acolyte'? The treatment of this in the write up is too close to how Western Anthropology treats actual, indigenous cultures, past and present.

6) This should be in the homebrew forum.

Madfellow
2014-11-30, 10:14 AM
Come to think of it, I feel like the Hermit background already fits the OP's concept well enough.

zeek0
2014-11-30, 10:23 AM
A few things:

1) "Medicine Man" and "witch doctor" are White People terms. It's a little jarring to hear them in a D&D setting, since most D&D settings don't feature a sovereign power enacting Colonialism.

2) Backgrounds never grant weapon proficiencies. Like, never.

3) Even if they did, you've got three non-skill proficiencies. Backgrounds only ever grant two.

4) Features never grant mechanical benefits or combat options. (Yeah, you could invoke your trait while talking your way out of combat, but that is it. It should take some creativity at that.)

5) Idk, 'archaic wisdom'? Inspired by William Timmons' 'animist acolyte'? The treatment of this in the write up is too close to how Western Anthropology treats actual, indigenous cultures, past and present.

6) This should be in the homebrew forum.

1) My apologies if I was insensitive - however, I feel that many of my descriptive terms are accurate despite the connotations they may carry, or the origins of the terms.

2+3) As mentioned, the blowgun is a terrible weapon that is worse than many simple weapons. Giving the proficiency in it is purely flavor.

4) In the thread I corrected the Feature so that it does exactly as you say. It's nice to be corroborated however.

5) The definition of "archaic" is "old or old-fashioned". Archaic wisdom can come from many sources, including white people and colonialist powers. For thousands of years Europe relied on the archaic wisdom of Aristotle.
And William Timmons was a poster on another site who created an 'Animist Acolyte' background that I drew ideas from, and asked that any use of his material be cited.

6) I am still learning how to use this site properly, thanks for directing me in the right direction.

Cheers!