PDA

View Full Version : Werewolf questions

Tyrael
2007-03-25, 08:36 PM
Hiya, all. Having just gotten my hands on The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess, I was inspired by Link's lycanthropy to make a werewolf character just for fun.

However, looking at the werewolf in the Monster Manual (p.178), it appears to have a +2 ECL (afflicted). I'm looking at the benefits it gets, and from a straight numbers perspective, I honestly have no idea why the ECL is that high. As far as I can see, it gets:
+2 WIS
Scent
Low-light vision
+2 natural armor
DR 5/silver

I'm also confused about their entry on their Hit Dice and skills. How exactly does it modify or change things? Is there some uber insane ability/bonus that I'm overlooking that necessitates the +2 ECL?

PinkysBrain
2007-03-25, 08:46 PM
It's +2 LA, it's actually +4 ECL. You add the animal HD to your own HD so you get a much higher ECL, which makes lycanthropy a rather suboptimal way to go usually. In hybrid and animal form you get adjustments to your physical ability scores ("adjustments are equal to the animal’s normal ability scores -10 or -11").

Afflicted lycanthropes also tend to be unplayable at low level because there is no way for you to make the control shape check DC to resist involuntarily shape changes.

Aximili
2007-03-25, 09:09 PM
Afflicted lycanthropes also tend to be unplayable at low level because there is no way for you to make the control shape check DC to resist involuntarily shape changes.
Unless you are a Lycanthrope of a "LG animal". Though that's not the case of the werewolf.

Fizban
2007-03-25, 09:38 PM
First of all, I'd just like to point out that Link is not a lycanthrope, he's just awesome.

Now that that's out of the way, yeah, werewolves are kinda suboptimal, even if you DM lets you ignore the alignment crap (did I mention it's crap?).

Normally it's better to be a natural lycanthrope, since you get full control of your form and DR 10/silver instead of 5. Think about how many enemies will have silver weapons. Unless your DM is specifically plotting against you, not many, that DR is great and you should want lots of it.

Now, the other thing you have to do as a lycanthrope is get the best you can for the HD you're taking. The small dog is generally the best I've seen, with better stat bonuses than the wolf for only 1 HD.

Finally, you won't be getting iterative attacks with your natural weapons, so don't forget that when planning the rest of your build. Therefore, I suggest the Loup du Noir (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=31790&highlight=loup+noir) PrC Fax made (why's it not in your wiki?), that gives you more attacks with you natural weapons. Not that the rest of it matches very well.

Ironically, while lycanthropes get DR in hybrid and animal form, Link actually takes double damage in wolf form.