PDA

View Full Version : Complex Skill Checks and Weapon Group Variants

Neon Knight
2007-03-25, 09:15 PM
I've been poking around in the SRD and found a set of variant rules that piqued my interest. Specifically the Complex Skill Checks Variant and the Weapon Group variants.

Has anyone used these? Did you find them detrimental to the game experience? Beneficial to it?

Jimp
2007-03-26, 10:20 AM
I use Weapon Groups all the time. No problems of yet. If anything it gives feats like Weapon Focus more use, since they apply to a set of weapons.

Fax Celestis
2007-03-26, 10:24 AM
Complex skill checks are interesting, but too roll-intensive for my tastes. Weapon Group feats are a thing of beauty, however, and are remarkably fun. Also remember that Weapon Groups can be used for the purposes of feats that require a specific weapon, instead boosting the group of weapons (ie: Weapon Specialization (Axes)).

Matthew
2007-03-28, 09:46 PM
Yes. Weapon Groups are an excellent idea (and an old one). Not so sure about Complex Skills Checks, though.

TimeWizard
2007-03-28, 09:50 PM
Obligatory remark asking what a complex skill check is.

Matthew
2007-03-28, 09:52 PM
This: Complex Skill Checks (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/buildingCharacters/complexSkillChecks.htm)

Orzel
2007-03-28, 09:59 PM
Weapon Groups is a great add. Complex skills is best when you aren't fighting a lot or in a rogue of skill monkeys.

It also making tailing people "stalking" while hiding less stupid.

Complex skills is more fun if your DM forces each player to take turns rolling with their mods. Bard: Success. Druid: Success Barbarian: Failure! Wizard: Failure! Rogue: Success!