PDA

View Full Version : Buffy the Vampire Slayer Season Eight

ray53208
2007-03-25, 09:30 PM
just finished reading issue one and i have to say it was a pleasure. i look forward to a great many more to come. if i say any more then id be spoiling it for those who havent read it yet.

anyone else a fan?

Midnight Lurker
2007-03-25, 10:03 PM
(raises hand)

Logos7
2007-03-25, 11:17 PM
Got it , read it, Loved it

CHEESE!

Logos

Quirinus_Obsidian
2007-03-25, 11:57 PM
Yet to get it, want to get it, will love it when I read it. =_)

Midnight Lurker
2007-03-26, 01:30 AM
So...

Who, exactly, could Amy's new boyfriend be?

A friend of mine thinks it's Oz, but I'm guessing Adam.

Elliot Kane
2007-03-26, 08:58 AM
Great start, I thought :) Can't wait for the next issue :)

ravenkith
2007-03-28, 02:19 PM
Yeah, this book looks as if it might be a darn good ride.

Of course, even with all the slayer eye candy, I'm still going to miss Spike.

Spike was always my favorite character on the show, from when he was just another vamp with a nutty girlfriend all the way up to the boning buffy stage.

Just something about the way Marsden delivered Spike's lines that made me think: "Hey, look, being undead's not all that bad - look how much fun this guy's having..."

Talk about one-upping Angel, though, huh?

agentx42
2007-04-01, 11:40 AM
I'm looking forward to the entire run, even though Season Seven left a bad taste in my mouth. Anyone remember the old adage, "Power corrupts; absolute power corrupts absolutely"? Well, now that the Scoobies have become The New Watchers, will they be corrupted by their new status as were the original Watchers?

Fresh in my mind is the episode "Damage" in Angel Season Five, when Andrew and the Slayerettes let it be known in no uncertain terms that Angel and Co. were officially considered the bad guys. At that moment they were no longer a force for good, but simply a force, imposing their will where it suited them. (Speaking of which, I'm very interested to see if Joss mentions what happened to Angel and Spike.) I don't assume every Slayerette has the same moral compass as the original Scoobies did. Kennedy in particular has always seemed to me the kind of person who would lead the opposition in a civil war between the Slayers, if it ever came to that.

Yuki Akuma
2007-04-02, 06:45 AM
No, Andrew told them that they didn't trust them, because of their involvement with Wolfram and Heart. He didn't say they considered them the bad guys.

Anyway, this was before the whole climactic battle between Angel's crew and the Senior Partners, so who knows what they think now.

agentx42
2007-04-02, 06:59 AM
No, Andrew told them that they didn't trust them, because of their involvement with Wolfram and Heart. He didn't say they considered them the bad guys.

Anyway, this was before the whole climactic battle between Angel's crew and the Senior Partners, so who knows what they think now.

True, Andrew did literally say Angel and Co. were no longer trusted. But here's the quote in full:

Angel: You're way outta your league. I'll just clear this with Buffy.
Andrew: Where do you think my orders came from? News flash —nobody in our camp trusts you anymore. Nobody. You work for Wolfram & Hart. Don't fool yourself. We're not on the same side. Thank you for your help… but, uh… we got it.

We're not on the same side. Translation: we're the good guys, you're the bad guys. Very straightforward.

Yuki Akuma
2007-04-02, 11:42 AM
And, again: This was before the huge climactic battle with the Senior Partners, so that may have changed.

agentx42
2007-04-02, 12:30 PM
And then again, it may not. At any rate, you've missed my point entirely, which is that this New Huge Group of Slayers may or may not be a good thing. When the Scoobies were simply a small core group, we all knew where they pretty much stood. Now? Who knows? Obviously the U.S. government considers Buffy to be an even bigger threat than in Season Four, now that she has a legion behind her.

That was my point all along.

Doglord
2007-04-02, 12:52 PM
there are issues!

JoeHills
2007-04-02, 12:59 PM
Following defeat of the Circle of the Black Thorn, Angel and whoever else survived likely regained some street cred among the forces of good.

Even though the story seems to be Amy, the Army, and the Scores of Slayers, the most interpersonal drama will only surface due to some sort of direct fissure, leading to the creation of multiple the slayer sects.
I find it unlikely that Buffy is likely to be easily corrupted by the power, nor Giles or Xander. Willow has proven in the past to be susceptible to such a course, and especially if Kennedy or a Kennedy-like girlfriend were to disagree with Buffy, there could be issues, but I'm not convinced Whedon would rehash the idea of Willow as the bad guy. One possibility is that while technically not corrupted, Buffy and crew could be fooled into causing damage and that Willow and Dawn might take some slayers Rogue with them, possibly recruiting Andrew as well, but that's just my take.

Also, my favorite reference to the TV show was Buffy's comment about Andrew setting up the fake buffy with the Immortal, as that episode of Angel was hilarious.

agentx42
2007-04-02, 01:19 PM
That's an excellent point, Joe. I agree that Joss is unlikely to go the Willow route again, and it's very unlikely that Buffy or many of the original core group's likely to give into temptation. If there were some split from within, it'd have to come from one of the newer Slayers. I don't know where Amy's going to strike first - or even who her beau is for that matter - but it would kind of fit her M.O. to strike from the shadows before showing herself. Corrupting some of the younger Slayers would be a natural course of action

archon_huskie
2007-04-03, 12:10 AM
I liked this so much that I bought too. Actually I bought two because the comic shop had the issue in two different covers.

Turns out I bought a rare variant cover. Only 1000 printed. :smallcool: So I own two, but I need to buy a third so I'll have one to read. lol

Bluelantern
2007-04-03, 10:52 AM
I liked this so much that I bought too. Actually I bought two because the comic shop had the issue in two different covers.

Turns out I bought a rare variant cover. Only 1000 printed. :smallcool: So I own two, but I need to buy a third so I'll have one to read. lol
This may sound crazy.... but Why not read one of the TWO that you have?

Logos7
2007-04-03, 12:35 PM
he's collecting

Rule number one of collecting

You collect to have not to use.

thats why most collectors buy dupes to use as well

Logos

JoeHills
2007-04-05, 11:49 AM
My comic book store had both covers for #2 yesterday, and about 10 of each. I'm no collector though, so I only bought the one.

ravenkith
2007-04-05, 02:35 PM
I like the art. I like the story so far.

I am definitely going to buy every issue.

I was geeking out at the end of #2.

That is all.

Midnight Lurker
2007-04-06, 03:02 AM
Okay, Whedon has to bring in Spike now. No one else is good enough for her, NO ONE! :smallamused:

ravenkith
2007-04-07, 11:39 AM
It's already been covered before: her 'true love' according to whedon, is Angel :(

Although I agree, she's better off with Spike.

Either way, this might give Whedon a chance to tell us what happened at the end of Angel 5, so, yay!

StickMan
2007-04-09, 10:07 PM
Are you all talking about a Buffy comic if so, does what happened to Angels crew ever get brought up. Always thought it would make a good movie. Also is Buffy actualy in it or is it just the rest of the slayer team saying the world?

ravenkith
2007-04-10, 08:12 AM
It's an actual, real buffy comic that just started coming out last month.

Still time to get on the bandwagon, as it's season 8 of buffy, just in comic form.

And yes, Buffy is in it.

Angel's crew has not come up...yet...

Nerd-o-rama
2007-04-11, 02:33 AM
Well, they did reference the one Angel episode where they went to Rome and saw "Buffy" at the club.

I hath read the first two, and ye, they are pretty good.

Also, Dawn's a giant.

ray53208
2007-04-11, 06:28 AM
issue two awesomeness: giant dawn bathtime fun... and you had me at "hello nurse".

its as if joss has some kind of phone tap into my subconscious.

Prustan
2007-04-16, 06:23 AM
Any fellow Buffy fans want to play a PbP? I want to start a game, but I need your help in deciding the setting. I'd link to my recruitment thread, but don't know how. Or you could PM me.

Elliot Kane
2007-04-17, 06:27 PM
#1 was good - #2 was great, IMO. Joss is really kicking things into gear now :)

AmoDman
2007-04-19, 01:03 AM
It's already been covered before: her 'true love' according to whedon, is Angel :(

Although I agree, she's better off with Spike.

Either way, this might give Whedon a chance to tell us what happened at the end of Angel 5, so, yay!

Too bad Angel's 'True Love' is post-death Cordy, Oooooooooooooooohhh. Course Joss is open-minded, who's to say he won't re-ignite the old Spike/Angel flame :smallwink: (*laughs uproarously*).

I'm a big fan of Angel, always hated that Buffy Bitch (it's hard for me to say her name w/o the bitch, she just f'ing annoys me, everything about her). Truthfully, I really did feel like he officially moved on when he finally stuck it to Buffy's annoying ass in Angel Season 1.

Angel: Buffy, this wasn't about you. This was about saving somebody's soul. That's what I do here and you're not a part of it.
Buffy: I have someone in my life now, that I love. It's not what you and I had, it's very new. You know what makes it new? I trust him, I know him.
Angel: That's great, it's nice. You moved on, I can't; You found someone new. I'm not allowed to, remember? I see you again, it cuts me up inside, and the only person I share that with is me. You don't know me anymore, so don't come down here with your great new life and expect me to do things your way. Go home.
Buffy: See? Faith wins again.
Angel: [huskily] Go.

Prustan
2007-04-22, 06:40 AM
Went looking for copies at the Armegeddon Expo yesterday, but the people who had them had sold out :(

Charles Phipps
2007-12-31, 06:21 PM
So, anyone pick up Angel: The Fall?

EvilElitest
2007-12-31, 08:38 PM
Yeah, this book looks as if it might be a darn good ride.

Of course, even with all the slayer eye candy, I'm still going to miss Spike.

Spike was always my favorite character on the show, from when he was just another vamp with a nutty girlfriend all the way up to the boning buffy stage.

Just something about the way Marsden delivered Spike's lines that made me think: "Hey, look, being undead's not all that bad - look how much fun this guy's having..."

Talk about one-upping Angel, though, huh?

hatred it when he became a protagonist though
from,
EE

Gundato
2007-12-31, 09:57 PM
Usually I dislike the "bad guy becomes a good guy" trope, but Spike worked. He was a bit annoying when he was only "good" because of the chip. But after that became a moot point, the character returned to his greatness.

Ignore the really crappy "I am a nice guy because I am insane/I have a government chip in my head" and focus on the "Well, I want to get in Buffy's pants (again). And it is fun to kill stuff. Sure, I'll help you guys"

EvilElitest
2007-12-31, 10:56 PM
Usually I dislike the "bad guy becomes a good guy" trope, but Spike worked. He was a bit annoying when he was only "good" because of the chip. But after that became a moot point, the character returned to his greatness.

Ignore the really crappy "I am a nice guy because I am insane/I have a government chip in my head" and focus on the "Well, I want to get in Buffy's pants (again). And it is fun to kill stuff. Sure, I'll help you guys"

Spikification ruined him, to his credit he did a good job, but he has so much more appeal when you liked him and he was against the protagonists, i think he should have got killed by buffy in a really cool fight scene (kinda like Greed from FMA) but in such a way that hte audience liked the way he left
from
EE

Charles Phipps
2008-01-01, 01:42 AM
Eh, I felt that Spike worked as an Anti-Hero but unfortunately he lost the Anti. I frankly wondered...

Angel After the Fall 2#
if the "Lord of Beverly Hills" wasn't out of character for the New Spike but very much in character for the Old Spike.

Ultimately, I'm not too impressed with Angel: After the Fall so far.

Angel: After the Fall Review

I'm less enthused about Angel: The Fall due to the simple fact that it seems far too removed from the television series to be entirely taken seriously. Basically, the bizarre plot seems to be that Los Angeles has either been totally overrun with demons or has literally been sucked into Hell. Somehow, this seems to overshadow what happened to Sunnydale that is a major focus of Season 8.

I'd like to believe that Angel has just been sucked with a lot of residents of Los Angeles into a "false" version of the city that's somewhere in Wolfram and Hart's Senior Partner's Home Dimension. That would make it far more believable and is entirely within the power of the godlike Demonic entities. My suspension of disbelief being broken is something that makes After-The-Fall to be very hard to enjoy.

I am pleased by the return of several old friends, however. Charles Gunn and Wesley Wyndam-Price both died in the Season Finale against the Demonic Armies of Wolfram and Hart yet the story couldn't continue without them. I'm pleased that Angel chose one of my solutions for the storyline by having Wesley show up as a ghost. I was TOTALLY BLOWN AWAY by what they chose to do to Charles Gunn, however, and rather saddened by how he manages to *finger quotes* survive *finger quotes* the final battle.

Honestly, I think the series is going more for shock value than it is for genuine entertainment. While it's entirely within my belief that Spike might attempt to set himself up as ruler of Beverly Hills with an army of bathing beauties around him, it seems to come off as a bit lurid to be honest. Also, Joss Whedon's comic books along with television shows are very feminist while the women in this comic seem to be rather uhh.....well it came off at times like I was reading Sin City to be frank.

Since there's only two issues, there might be a point to this "Fall of Human Civilization" style story that I'm missing but right now it just seems wayyyy too over the top.

Nerd-o-rama
2008-01-01, 10:20 PM
Eh, I felt that Spike worked as an Anti-Hero but unfortunately he lost the Anti. I frankly wondered...

Angel After the Fall 2#
if the "Lord of Beverly Hills" wasn't out of character for the New Spike but very much in character for the Old Spike.
Personally, I smell a plot twist coming here. It seems to me like
Spike and Illyria have set up a genuine safe-haven in Beverly Hills, and just have it made up like a diabolic bordello to fool the other Lords into fearing and respecting Spike. Of course, Spike still enjoys every second of lording it up and badmouthing Angel because that's just who he is.

Now, I agree the plot is really, really over-the-top compared to Season 8. Wouldn't it be about a year later, though? That might be why the whole Hell on Earth thing hasn't been brought up in Buffy. Alternatively, it's a temporary situation (which is nonetheless really out there) (remember, it's a miniseries), or an illusion of some sort.

Charles Phipps
2008-01-02, 02:12 AM
I like the idea that...

...it's possibly like Lindsey's Suburban Home. Essentially, it's a false Los Angeles (HelL.A). The Senior Partners just created their false Los Angeles, which makes sense since the Oceans appear to be made of fire. Then they drag a small portion of L.A's populous into their dimension to torment Angel with.

That way, they don't have to really deal with it on Buffy.

Also, I don't think Dark Horse and this comic publisher would crossover that much. Hence, we probably won't be seeing much Spuffy or Angel on their canonical comics.