PDA

View Full Version : Rules Q&A I wish for a tower!

Inevitability
2014-11-30, 09:35 AM
According to the Wish rules, you can Wish the following:

You create one object of up to 25,000 GP in value that isn't a magic item.

According to the 'downtime activities' excerpt, a fortified tower is 15,000 GP. Would you allow a Wish to create one, or does RAW make this impossible?

S_Dalsgaard
2014-11-30, 09:47 AM
I don't see a problem with allowing it. Isn't getting a castle one of the classical uses of a wish? With the risk of loosing the ability to cast wish forever, I don't think I would take that risk for something as mundane as a tower though.

GiantOctopodes
2014-11-30, 09:56 AM
Certainly! Keep in mind that the maximum dimensions are 300' x 300' x 300'. Also keep in mind that if you were somehow suspended 120' in the air for an hour (a really big ladder?) that Wall of Stone allows for an apparently unlimited number of stone wall panels within a 120' range (240' diameter), so if a 5th level spell with no drawbacks can produce 70ish% of the effect (get all the structure, just need stairs and a roof, can leave panels open for doors, can fit in doors later, etc), I see absolutely no reason why it would be even remotely unbalanced for a Wish (which might permanently prevent you from ever casting Wish again) from having that effect.

That said, if you're ok with a square tower or a hexagonal (or octagonal, or whatever) tower instead of a round one, personally I'd just take a few days and make it with Wall of Stone, and have a Mason help finish it off. Not as cool as doing it with Wish, but safer and able to be done at a much lower level.

MaxWilson
2014-11-30, 11:16 AM
According to the Wish rules, you can Wish the following:

According to the 'downtime activities' excerpt, a fortified tower is 15,000 GP. Would you allow a Wish to create one, or does RAW make this impossible?

Absolutely, yes I would.

Eslin
2014-11-30, 11:34 AM
Certainly! Keep in mind that the maximum dimensions are 300' x 300' x 300'. Also keep in mind that if you were somehow suspended 120' in the air for an hour (a really big ladder?) that Wall of Stone allows for an apparently unlimited number of stone wall panels within a 120' range (240' diameter), so if a 5th level spell with no drawbacks can produce 70ish% of the effect (get all the structure, just need stairs and a roof, can leave panels open for doors, can fit in doors later, etc), I see absolutely no reason why it would be even remotely unbalanced for a Wish (which might permanently prevent you from ever casting Wish again) from having that effect.

That said, if you're ok with a square tower or a hexagonal (or octagonal, or whatever) tower instead of a round one, personally I'd just take a few days and make it with Wall of Stone, and have a Mason help finish it off. Not as cool as doing it with Wish, but safer and able to be done at a much lower level.

How is it unlimited? Wall of stone says 10x 10 foot by 10 foot by 6 inch (god I hate imperial measurements so much, there are what 3 countries out of 196 that still use them?) panels, which assuming granite means you're getting just under 40 tons of stone every cast. Which is a lot, but not unlimited, and why would you need to be 120 feet in the air?

GiantOctopodes
2014-11-30, 11:42 AM
How is it unlimited? Wall of stone says 10x 10 foot by 10 foot by 6 inch (god I hate imperial measurements so much, there are what 3 countries out of 196 that still use them?) panels, which assuming granite means you're getting just under 40 tons of stone every cast. Which is a lot, but not unlimited, and why would you need to be 120 feet in the air?

Haha I missed the first 10 in my first several readings of the spell (too many 10s in a row?). So certainly not unlimited. And 120' in the air is so you can build a 240' high tower- you can get a higher tower, but my point was that the 300' limitation of Wish is not that much greater than Wall of Stone. Since you would need *many* castings anyway, it's a moot point.

SpawnOfMorbo
2014-11-30, 01:00 PM

I think it's two, but I do agree.

Also the stone made from wall of stone is hallow.

10' x 10' x 10' of 6 inch stone would be a hallow rectangular prism... I'm not sure if building a tower would be a good idea out of that stuff. Normally one would think you would want solid stone.

Unless I'm missing something...

Mellack
2014-11-30, 01:55 PM
I think it's two, but I do agree.

Also the stone made from wall of stone is hallow.

10' x 10' x 10' of 6 inch stone would be a hallow rectangular prism... I'm not sure if building a tower would be a good idea out of that stuff. Normally one would think you would want solid stone.

Unless I'm missing something...

It is not a hollow block, it makes 10'x10'x6" sheets (or walls). Then you also get ten of those, with the restriction that they must be connected. So you could make a wall going 100' long, 10' high, and 6" thick if you use them all in a line.

Shining Wrath
2014-11-30, 07:28 PM
So long as the PC owns the land required (or can claim title), sure.
No placing your tower in downtown Waterdeep.

Freelance GM
2014-11-30, 09:54 PM
So long as the PC owns the land required (or can claim title), sure.
No placing your tower in downtown Waterdeep.

I disagree. They can wish to have a tower in the middle of Waterdeep.

It may get them into legal trouble later, but they'll have a tough time evicting you from your freshly-constructed personal fortress.

JoeJ
2014-11-30, 10:07 PM
Simply wishing for a tower leaves an awful lot open to interpretation. If I were the DM, I would suggest that the character take time to research the exact wording of that wish to minimize the chance of having it go wrong. And as a reward for the character using their downtime and possibly spending significant gold pouring over old tomes of lore, I'd let the player design the tower.

Eslin
2014-11-30, 10:23 PM
It is not a hollow block, it makes 10'x10'x6" sheets (or walls). Then you also get ten of those, with the restriction that they must be connected. So you could make a wall going 100' long, 10' high, and 6" thick if you use them all in a line.

He said hallow. It clearly isn't hollow, the spell description says so, but apparently wall of stone has some divine properties.

Baptor
2014-11-30, 10:25 PM
As a DM, off the cuff, I would allow this but invoke the chance of never casting Wish again. So if you really want it, sure. :smallsmile:

Hytheter
2014-11-30, 10:27 PM
As a DM, off the cuff, I would allow this but invoke the chance of never casting Wish again. So if you really want it, sure. :smallsmile:

Why
That just seems mean-spirited. It's a totally legitimate RAW use of the spell that doesn't break anything, why punish it?

GiantOctopodes
2014-12-01, 12:18 AM
Why
That just seems mean-spirited. It's a totally legitimate RAW use of the spell that doesn't break anything, why punish it?

That's what Wish does nowadays RAW, rather than XP cost. It has a 33% chance to make it so you can never cast Wish again every time you cast it, if you do *anything* other than replicate a spell, which certainly includes if you use it to create a tower. It's not mean-spirited, it would be carebear-ish to *not* do that, as you would be breaking RAW in the PC's favor.

Hytheter
2014-12-01, 12:53 AM
I thought that penalty only applied to non listed uses? Or am I mistaken?

Eslin
2014-12-01, 05:22 AM
That's what Wish does nowadays RAW, rather than XP cost. It has a 33% chance to make it so you can never cast Wish again every time you cast it, if you do *anything* other than replicate a spell, which certainly includes if you use it to create a tower. It's not mean-spirited, it would be carebear-ish to *not* do that, as you would be breaking RAW in the PC's favor.

Which is why the player should get a simulacrum to do the wishing for them.

Shining Wrath
2014-12-01, 08:06 AM
Which is why the player should get a simulacrum to do the wishing for them.

Which is why that particular cheese is likely to run into houserule difficulty.

Valefor Rathan
2014-12-01, 08:29 AM

So Wish to replicate the Wall of Stone (right?) in order to get twice the walls. :smallbiggrin:

Inevitability
2014-12-01, 01:48 PM
I thought that penalty only applied to non listed uses? Or am I mistaken?

It applies to everything but duplicating a spell of 8th-level or lower. And even then you are incredibly weak for a week or so and vulnerable to your own spells for the remainder of the day.

Teulisch
2014-12-01, 03:31 PM
hm. well, wall of stone can make a 10'x10'x20' interior with stone walls on all sides, permanent after 10 minutes for a 5th level spell slot. then use stone shape, a 4th level spell slot, to add a basic stone door with 2 hinges and a latch. if you lower the roof a bit, you can sort of get crenelations on top. a few castings of this spell could make a very impressive building in short order. add in Fabricate, a 4th level spell, and turn the local trees into simple furniture for your new house. toss in Arcane lock at 25gp per casting, and your doors can be extremely secure against thieves. a few continual flame spells could then light the interior, and viola! you have your arcane fortress in only a few days.

if you wanted thinner walls (half the hp) at 3" thick, the 10'x20'x3" walls would allow for a much larger, if less durable, structure. you could easily make a 2-story structure, and have 1 wall section left over to make a 10' high, 20' long 'garden wall' around one end for a small courtyard (5'x10'),or even get started on the floor for the next section you intend to build. adding windows would be the hard part requiring skilled labor.

now, if you want to use the wish spell, at high risk for a 25,000gp item, then wish for a 500-pound bar of solid gold (about 10"x10"x5", gold is quite dense). after a long rest, you hit that with fabricate to break it down into 100 5-pound trade bars(2"x5"x1/2" each), and you have the best possible result. lets hope you dont lose the ability to cast wish after that. you can now use that gold to buy a noble estate with manor, because the land value itself is important here. or you could have your tower and enough left to maintain its 25gp/day cost for 40 days.

really, a wizard with a week to kill could build a very impressive structure, and spend every night safe in his magical hut. with his high intelligence, he could easily plan the entire thing out, and then lack the wisdom to think of that one really important thing hes going to need- where does the chimney go? what about windows? how am i gonna get that table i fabricated through that narrow door, with my low strength, and then up to the second floor? in the end, paying cash to get something made (or finished) properly is worth the gold.

EvilAnagram
2014-12-01, 03:40 PM
I'd say sure.

Then the wishing player would trip over something sticking out of the dirt. It's... a weathercock? How did that... oh.

Vogonjeltz
2014-12-01, 05:16 PM
I disagree. They can wish to have a tower in the middle of Waterdeep.

It may get them into legal trouble later, but they'll have a tough time evicting you from your freshly-constructed personal fortress.

In Waterdeep? I'm fairly certain they have the clout and resources to knock your door down and drag a Wizard out by the scruff of his neck for failure to pay taxes. Maybe in Backwater, province of Nowhereinterestingsville you could get away with this, but not in a major city. This is literally an adventure waiting to happen, and you'd (the caster) be the hapless target.