PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Shaman Background [Looking for Feedback]

zeek0
2014-11-30, 10:40 AM
Background: Shaman
You live your life as a mediator, diviner, storyteller, healer, and psychopomp. Among your people you serve as a carrier of traditions and conduit of archaic wisdom.

Skill Proficiencies: Medicine, Nature
Tool Proficiencies: Herbalism Kit, Poisoner’s Kit
Equipment: Herbalism kit, Poisoner’s kit, natural ritualistic items, and a belt pouch containing 5 gp

Spirits Specialty
As a shaman, you have learned to revere the spirits. Your lifestyle is characterized by the type of spirits that you interact with and how you channel their power.

d10 - Spirits Specialty

1 - Ancestral
6 - Elemental

2- Fey
7 - Undead

3 - Plant
8 - Astral

4 - Animal
9 - Fiend

5 - Archetypal
10 - Celestial

Feature: Parley with Spirits
Your knowledge of spirits increases your ability to interact with them. If confronted by an intelligent spirit, you can attempt to force a situation with the entity. If successful you make a great display of respect and tradition, and the entity is inclined to be more favorable toward you and your party. Communing gives an opening: an intelligent spirit may give a chance to talk, a friendly spirit may be more helpful, and a hostile spirit may rethink a violent act.

Suggested Characteristics:
Shamanistic practices are usually learned in order to preserve social order and benefit individuals in your society. Many are part of druidic traditions, but all are steeped in reverence of their social order. To more organized religions, shamans are often viewed as lesser or barbaric practitioners of spiritual activity.

d8 Personality Trait
1 - I am slow to trust people that are not members of my social group.
2 - I am deeply reverent of the spiritual world - people and cities are not important in comparison.
3 - The spirit world is a terrible and brutal place, and so am I.
4 - I have faced oppression for my beliefs, and I am reticent to express them.
5 - Tradition is the backbone of any society, and following it gives much benefit.
6 - I believe that the spirits are in control of our fate and we only act out the part.
7 - The spirits have taught me to be tolerant and understanding of all creatures.
8 - Mortal life is less real and important than the world of the spirits.

d6 Ideal
1 - Tradition. The ancient traditions of my ancestors must be honored and upheld. (Lawful)
2 - Wild. Nature abhors a wall. (Chaotic)
3 - Wisdom. The path to power and improvement is through the understanding of ancient wisdom. (Any)
4 - Power. Communion with the spirits can offer the path toward power and domination. (Evil)
5 - Balance. Both the mundane and spiritual world seek balance in all things. (Neutral)
6 - Greater Good. It is my duty to use my abilities to help people and assist the ailing. (Good)

d6 Bond
1 - I must always protect my homeland and my people.
2 - Protection of the spirits and the natural order is paramount.
3 - I sold my soul for greater deeds and power. I hope to do great deeds and win it back.
4 - My life is my devotion to my people and their traditions.
5 - I have been searching my whole life for the answer to a certain question.
6 - I have been entrusted with a powerful secret, and I must not let it fall into the wrong hands.

d6 Flaw
1 - I find it hard to take worldly matters seriously.
2 - I only value the needs of my tribe and I do not care for other civilizations.
3 - The spirits often interfere with my life and request things of me.
4 - I am in awe of the spirits and am afraid to act against them.
5 - I am flighty and prone to distraction.
6 - I am deeply mistrustful of members of other faiths.
An updated version of this homebrew lies in my signature (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showsinglepost.php?p=20886261&postcount=285). Let me know if you have any questions!

Rfkannen
2014-11-30, 11:48 AM
Very awesome, I would totaly play this if it was offered in a campaign, that feature is especially awesome. But I honestly don't understand why your giveing a blow gun proficiency. It just does not seem to be needed. It makes it unbalanced with the rest of the backrounds, because if a wizard takes this then they will have one more proficicncy, it doesnt matter if it is useless no other backround gives a weapon and it isnt balanced. Also I don't see most shamans with a blowgun. I think that should not be a fundamental part of the backround. Same way not all soldiers are proficient in swords, not every shaman is going to be able to use a blow gun. It should be part of there class.

Kerleth
2014-11-30, 07:29 PM
Well, the feature and characteristics look good to me. I think the skills are a little off though. I would replace survival with a knowledge skill. Shamans in some cultures are the keepers of stories, so history could work. Religion is a pretty obvious one. Arcane makes sense since you are speaking with magical beings. Nature might be the best though. It is similar to survival, and makes sense since you specialize in communicating with natural spirits.
Also, I agree with the previous poster. If the blowgun doesn't add much, then why have it there at all. I don't think it honestly adds anything to pinning down the right flavor, so it breaks the backgrounds guidelines for no real purpose, IMO.

zeek0
2014-12-01, 09:09 AM
Well, the feature and characteristics look good to me. I think the skills are a little off though. I would replace survival with a knowledge skill. Shamans in some cultures are the keepers of stories, so history could work. Religion is a pretty obvious one. Arcane makes sense since you are speaking with magical beings. Nature might be the best though. It is similar to survival, and makes sense since you specialize in communicating with natural spirits.
Also, I agree with the previous poster. If the blowgun doesn't add much, then why have it there at all. I don't think it honestly adds anything to pinning down the right flavor, so it breaks the backgrounds guidelines for no real purpose, IMO.

Good point about the skills, I'll change the skill to Nature instead of Survival.

Also, I'll reconsider the blowgun. I can't imagine any character using the blowgun if only characters that get all martial weapons get proficiency in it. If you have martial weapon proficiency, you are probably swinging a sword in combat; and if your character would be more subtle, you cannot use the blowgun because it is martial.