PDA

View Full Version : magical item cooldown?

Scubasteve0209
2007-03-25, 11:03 PM
My 8th level Scout/Ranger might have to take on an assassination mission or two here shortly (don't feel bad for them, they're vampire spawn) where I'll have to sneak through an enemy army, kill a liutennant or two, and sneak out. I have boots of Elvenkind (making my move silent natural 24), and a ring of invisibility, so the moving around won't be all that difficult.

Presumably, I'll be gliding in in the morning or daytime, coup de gras'ing a few spawn, and making an expiditious retreat.

My question is: How soon after I attack someone can I reactivate my ring of invisibility? Is it a number of rounds, or a number of minutes?

Aximili
2007-03-25, 11:08 PM
You can activate it the following round by spending your regular standard action.

Rigeld2
2007-03-25, 11:08 PM
The next standard action you have, you can reactivate it.

Scubasteve0209
2007-03-25, 11:29 PM
okay, good deal. Now I just have to make sure I can one-hit-kill the spawn. With my magic rapier, strength, and my favored enemy (undead, +4 now) I'll be doing 1d6+9 x2. so 20-30 in one pop.

we'll see.

Dhavaer
2007-03-25, 11:30 PM
okay, good deal. Now I just have to make sure I can one-hit-kill the spawn. With my magic rapier, strength, and my favored enemy (undead, +4 now) I'll be doing 1d6+9 x2. so 20-30 in one pop.

we'll see.

How are you using a coup de grace on undead?

Scubasteve0209
2007-03-25, 11:40 PM

DM's homebrew prestige class: Vampire Hunter

long story short: Elves & Vampires are blood sworn enemies and elven rangers with this prestige class progressively gets to keep bonuses and abilities against the undead, such as sneak attack & criticals.

Variable Arcana
2007-03-26, 12:22 AM
Depending on your DM's rules... (i.e. if the spawn is really asleep when you sneak into the tent) you might consider the wooden stake approach. I know they don't fly into dust (Buffy-style) but they are "dead" and you can sever the head to really kill it at your leisure. Heck, bring a bag of holding and bring the head back home with you as a trophy.

A wooden stake and a mallet -- slaying vampires in their coffins since long before D&D.

Suzaku
2007-03-26, 12:26 AM
and can be done with raw by casting spark of life ^^'. Problem is getting an item to cast spark of life or cleric/druid to come with you on this stealth mission ^^.

Zincorium
2007-03-26, 12:28 AM
and can be done with raw by casting spark of life ^^'

I just found out about that spell three hours ago when our druid cast it on the mummy lord we were fighting. Wow. I have never been so jazzed at scoring a critical in my life, and our rogue, depressed after slogging through 5 adventures populated mostly by constructs and undead, practically pissed himself with excitement. Good stuff.