PDA

View Full Version : Optimization Quarterstaff Caster

Tvtyrant
2014-11-30, 01:54 PM
Sorry if this has already come up.

The feat Warcaster allows you to cast a spell when you would have made an AoO. The Polearm Master feat allows you to make an AoO when an opponent enters your reach. A caster using the two together (I imagine with a quarterstaff for iconicness, but it works with the other polearms as well) gets to cast a spell of opportunity at anything that comes within 10 ft. of you.

Shadow
2014-11-30, 01:56 PM
Sorry if this has already come up.

The feat Warcaster allows you to cast a spell when you would have made an AoO. The Polearm Master feat allows you to make an AoO when an opponent enters your reach. A caster using the two together (I imagine with a quarterstaff for iconicness, but it works with the other polearms as well) gets to cast a spell of opportunity at anything that comes within 10 ft. of you.

Nope.
Polearm master's reaction for entering melee range only applies to the polearms listed.
You can cast a spell as a reaction only when OAs are allowed under the general rules, so only when a creature leaves your reach.

Tvtyrant
2014-11-30, 02:04 PM
Nope.
Polearm master's reaction for entering melee range only applies to the polearms listed.
You can cast a spell as a reaction only when OAs are allowed under the general rules, so only when a creature leaves your reach.

I'm not seeing that at all. "When a hostile creature's movement provokes and attack of opportunity from you" and "other creatures provoke an opportunity attack from you when they enter your reach." Opportunity attack and attack of opportunity are synonymous terms, and refer back to each other in the index.

Oscredwin
2014-11-30, 02:04 PM
Actually polearm master says "While you are wielding a ... quarterstaff, other creatures provoke an opportunity attack from you when they enter your reach." I would be careful about this due to balance reasons (getting 2 spells per round much more often is a big deal) but this seems to work by RAW. I would allow this if the DM would allow a caster to use their staff (or pact glaive) to deliver a touch spell.

Shadow
2014-11-30, 02:07 PM
Josh Smith @Rick___Deckard
@mikemearls Do Polearm Master and War Caster combine to allow a magic user to make a spell opportunity attack when they enter reach?

Mike Mearls @mikemearls
@Rick___Deckard No - polearm master applies only if you use the weapons it lists to make the attack

https://thesageadvice.wordpress.com/2014/09/16/polearm-caster/

Celcey
2014-11-30, 02:54 PM
I think this depends- RAW, it's technically okay, but RAI, it's obviously not. It would really be up to your DM- I personally wouldn't allow it, but YMMV.

silveralen
2014-11-30, 03:31 PM
Josh Smith @Rick___Deckard
@mikemearls Do Polearm Master and War Caster combine to allow a magic user to make a spell opportunity attack when they enter reach?

Mike Mearls @mikemearls
@Rick___Deckard No - polearm master applies only if you use the weapons it lists to make the attack

https://thesageadvice.wordpress.com/2014/09/16/polearm-caster/

It'd be really helpful if they actually made the feat say that. My table didn't see that at all when someone asked.

For the record? Not that powerful. It helps a squishy caster deal with enemies swarming them, but ideally that situation shouldn't pop up to much. Considering the two feat investment it is fairly balanced as a combat tactic. It's yet to break anything at my table.

Tvtyrant
2014-11-30, 03:53 PM
For the record? Not that powerful. It helps a squishy caster deal with enemies swarming them, but ideally that situation shouldn't pop up to much. Considering the two feat investment it is fairly balanced as a combat tactic. It's yet to break anything at my table.

Yeah it seems pretty reasonably powered to me too. Also there are that many great spells you can use with it, as you get one reaction a round and you have very few slots. All of the good mono-target save or lose spells are high level.