PDA

View Full Version : Rules Q&A [3.5] Can a Free action be used outside of your turn?

D4rkh0rus
2014-11-30, 05:04 PM
Can a free action be used outside of one's turn? (for example, Spell shield says that at CL 11 or higher, it can be cast as a free action. Can I cast it when its not my turn?)

The Random NPC
2014-11-30, 05:16 PM
Can a free action be used outside of one's turn? (for example, Spell shield says that at CL 11 or higher, it can be cast as a free action. Can I cast it when its not my turn?)

I'd say no, four free actions listed on the SRD (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/combat/actionsInCombat.htm#freeActions), and speak has a specific note that it can be done on other people's turn.

Jack_Simth
2014-11-30, 05:25 PM

Under most circumstances, no. There are, however, exceptions. Speaking being the big one, but there's some free actions you'll take as part of readied standard actions - like, say, drawing an arrow as part of shooting an arrow or drawing the bat guano as part of a readied Fireball. Likewise, certain spells (most notably Featherfall) are free actions that can be taken out of turn.

Chronos
2014-11-30, 07:22 PM
Casting spells as a free action is a relic in the rules. The rules have been updated to include two new kinds of actions: Swift actions and immediate actions. Old spells that could be cast as a free action have been retroactively changed to one of those. Swift actions are mostly used for quickened (or naturally swift) spells, but there are a few class features and feats that use them too. You get one swift action per turn, during your turn, to be used for any of those things. Immediate actions are like swift actions, but can also be used outside of your turn. If you use an immediate action during your turn, it counts as a swift action, and if you use one outside of your turn, it counts as the next turn's swift action. Feather Fall is now considered an immediate action.

Jack_Simth
2014-11-30, 10:38 PM
Casting spells as a free action is a relic in the rules. The rules have been updated to include two new kinds of actions: Swift actions and immediate actions. Old spells that could be cast as a free action have been retroactively changed to one of those. Swift actions are mostly used for quickened (or naturally swift) spells, but there are a few class features and feats that use them too. You get one swift action per turn, during your turn, to be used for any of those things. Immediate actions are like swift actions, but can also be used outside of your turn. If you use an immediate action during your turn, it counts as a swift action, and if you use one outside of your turn, it counts as the next turn's swift action. Feather Fall is now considered an immediate action.
It's still a special one, though, in that you can cast it while flat-footed.