PDA

View Full Version : Broken Uber Character Design Competition

Lord_Kimboat
2007-03-26, 01:30 AM
I’ve got a bit of a problem in a game that I am in where two players have basically cheated and ubered (is that really a verb) their characters beyond belief; a Half Vampire and a Dread Necromancer.

While I’ve mentioned this to the DM and shown him the equivalent of the 54 pt stat buy that the Dread Necromancer has there is a possibility that they are going to kill or get my character killed.

Now, while I’m mature enough to accept this, like most gamers I’d like to wreak a bloody revenge. So, I was thinking of turning it over to the forum here to design for me the most broken, uber character that you can. My guidelines are this:-

- Pretty much any book seems to be allowed, as long as its been published it pretty much seems I can use it.
- Again, any race or class ever conceived and printed up seems to be allowed.
- ECL must be 5! I know it’s low but that’s what I’ve got to work with.
- No cheating! I won’t stoop to their level but I am happy to twist the rules to whatever advantage I can get.

Behold_the_Void
2007-03-26, 01:33 AM
Uber is pretty hard to come by at level 5, but you might want to try a Cleric-zilla.

Thoughtbot360
2007-03-26, 01:34 AM
Uber is pretty hard to come by at level 5, but you might want to try a Cleric-zilla.

Cleric-whatta?

Exarch
2007-03-26, 01:46 AM
I've found fighters to be most effective at that level. I can't really think of anything off the top of my head, but possibly Power Attack, Leaping Power Attack, and Shock Trooper is a nice way to one-hit a lot of stuff.

I know the Book of Nine Swords can give some you very powerful combinations. I like the Warblade, but the skillmonkey one has some crazy sets (Rising Sun and Shadow Strike come to mind).

all my books aren't with me right now, but I'll post a build whenever I can get them back.

Zincorium
2007-03-26, 01:49 AM
I’ve got a bit of a problem in a game that I am in where two players have basically cheated and ubered (is that really a verb) their characters beyond belief; a Half Vampire and a Dread Necromancer.

While I’ve mentioned this to the DM and shown him the equivalent of the 54 pt stat buy that the Dread Necromancer has there is a possibility that they are going to kill or get my character killed.

Now, while I’m mature enough to accept this, like most gamers I’d like to wreak a bloody revenge. So, I was thinking of turning it over to the forum here to design for me the most broken, uber character that you can. My guidelines are this:-

-Pretty much any book seems to be allowed, as long as its been published it pretty much seems I can use it.
-Again, any race or class ever conceived and printed up seems to be allowed.
-ECL must be 5! I know it’s low but that’s what I’ve got to work with.
-No cheating! I won’t stoop to their level but I am happy to twist the rules to whatever advantage I can get.

Well, first off, half vampire and dread necromancer in and of themselves are not that good. Really, seriously, not that good. If they're actually all that good, it's from something besides that.

My suggestion? Get out savage species. It's called savage cheeses for a very good reason, and that reason is a complete lack of game balance. Examples of good races for melee pwnage:
Feral thri-keen (nonpsionic) - 2 monstrous humanoid hit dice, which are fairly decent, +2 LA. Good abilities, fast healing, four primary claw attacks dealing 2d6 +str if you take improved natural attack.
Anthropomorphic baleen whale - 3 monstrous humanoid hd, no LA, large, really good stats. Add feral if you want, you lose very little.

For a good divine spellcaster race, Anthropomorphic bat. No racial hit dice, no LA, small size and +6 wisdom. This is, well, retardedly good.

As far as classes go, CoDzilla is a term referring to how overpowering clerics and druids can be, even if not played all that well. Druids, natural spell. Clerics, divine metamagic. These are longer term strategies, but they still hold their own at 5th level.

As for melee classes, tome of battle is your friend. Period. If you are going to take a swing at opponents, tome of battle will make your character better, even if you don't use the classes in it.

JaronK
2007-03-26, 01:56 AM
Pun Pun can happen at level 5. Done.

JaronK

Zincorium
2007-03-26, 02:12 AM
Pun Pun can happen at level 5. Done.

JaronK

Classic build is level 5, yeah, and I think that someone got it down to level 1, but the OP specifically stated 'no cheating', and I will rip my optical nerves out with garden shears before seriously suggesting someone play Pun Pun in an actual game.

Pun Pun is a theoretical design. If you use him in a game, you are violating the author's stated wishes. That's all that should need to be said.

Tyrael
2007-03-26, 03:49 AM
What is Pun Pun?

Bouldering Jove
2007-03-26, 03:56 AM
What is Pun Pun?
Gaze upon my works, ye mighty, and despair. (http://boards1.wizards.com/showthread.php?t=491801)

Attilargh
2007-03-26, 04:02 AM
First, make sure your DM uses the Diplomacy rules as written in the PHB.

Next, take a half-elf Aristocrat (or Bard, if you insist on a PC class), slap on three age categories and max out Diplomacy using all possible synergy bonuses and feats from (at least) the PHB and Races of Destiny (or whatever it was).

Then spend a minute talking to a deity of your choice.

Imrix.
2007-03-26, 05:15 AM
Druid 5. You won't be uber NOW (though it's debatable), but in ten levels when you've maxed out on Planar Sheperd, you damn well will be!

Or you could do the Omnisicifier.

kamikasei
2007-03-26, 07:40 AM
What's the legitimate point-buy value or other stat-generation method you're using, that these guys have abused?

I'll just note that at ECL 5 you can have a Druid 5, which is to say a druid with wild shape, and you can build him to spend his time as a giant bear with full spellcasting, thus allowing you to get away with dumping physical stats.

edit: More details on these other guys' builds and how "uber" they are would be a help.

KoDT69
2007-03-26, 07:51 AM
Simple fix. Be a sorcerer with Alter Self, Craft Magic Wand, and Ray of Enfeeblecheese. Forge 2 wands before joining up with them. Every giiven opportunity cast Alter Self and nail them with the rays at inopportune times. Let the real monsters kill those 2 cheaters and you can loot their bodies and gloat.

tarbrush
2007-03-26, 08:10 AM
Classic build is level 5, yeah, and I think that someone got it down to level 1, but the OP specifically stated 'no cheating', and I will rip my optical nerves out with garden shears before seriously suggesting someone play Pun Pun in an actual game.

Pun Pun is a theoretical design. If you use him in a game, you are violating the author's stated wishes. That's all that should need to be said.

Not true at all. Nothing about Pun Pun breaks the rules. It doesn't even bend them that much. The only real abuse is of the divine minion template.

And the man said he wanted a "broken uber character" which is what Pun pun is. No cheating, just lots of strange interaction of abilities.

After all, nothing says vengeance like becoming the supreme being :)

Lord_Kimboat
2007-03-26, 08:29 AM
Some excellent suggestions here and I have to say that reading about Pun Pun was an interesting experience. :smallbiggrin: However, you're right it should never be played.

Stat generation was 4d6 and drop the lowest. Stats for most of the characters were observed but not for these two. Dread Necro's stats are 12,16,16,14,15,18 - this does include a stat bump but I don't know where. He also has 51hp at 6th level which is theoretically possible but he'd have to roll a 5 or a 6 every roll. For feats he has willing deformities despite not being evil although it is possible that the DM has ruled these in or may be ignorant of the evil requirement. He also has in excess of 45,000gp of equipment including a +2 Battleaxe with Profane Burst (another +2 bringing it to a +4 total). This is not possible since we've gotten less than 20,000gp including starting funds.

The half Vampire has the stats of 18,17,14,16,12,20, again generated out of sight but I'm assuming it is inclusive of the +2 bonuses Half Vampires get. He is a bard 3 and seems to have perhaps ripped himself off since Half Vampire has only +2 LA, although this could just be a clerical (no pun intended) error. He has 41hp which is even out of the range for a 4th level bard unless there is something in the Half Vampire template I haven't seen. He has something called a Frost Shard Dagger which has some cheesy 3d6 damage explosion thing happening that I haven't been able to source anywhere as well as 'bone' armor. I also count 6 feats which are Improved Init, Chant of Fortitude, Daunting Presence, Requiem, Extra Music and Weapon Focus.

These two have formed a sort of block in our party and are starting to hog the glory a bit. Part of their plan is to bring another character in, a 9th fighter, who I assume will also vote with them.

Hopefully though the DM may just mention something to them and they'll play a little more realistically. Both players are pretty good but I just don't like cheese weasels and people hijacking the plot.

Starbuck_II
2007-03-26, 08:32 AM

So they cheated by having higher point buy (how much was the party allowed)? You never come right out and say how. Being uber is'nt a bad thing, but cheating is.

Lord_Kimboat
2007-03-26, 08:42 AM
So they cheated by having higher point buy (how much was the party allowed)? You never come right out and say how. Being uber is'nt a bad thing, but cheating is.

All the characters I know of rolled their stats - I don't know how these two were generated. But a 50+ buy seems a little excessive and if they rolled these stats they are improbably lucky.

Person_Man
2007-03-26, 08:45 AM
Human Cleric 1 with the Planning and Undeath domains, Persistent Spell and Divine Metamagic feats.

The Planning domain grants the Extend Spell feat, a requirement for Persistent Spell.

Persistant spell makes the duration of certain spells 24 hours, but has a huge level adjustment.

Divine Metamagic replaces metamagic level adjustment with Turn Undead uses.

The Undeath domain grants the Extra Turning Feat.

Using Divine Metamagic to cancel out the level adjustment, cast Vigor as a Persistent Spell, which grants Fast Healing 1 for 24 hours. At higher levels pump your Cha with Eagle's Splendor and items, take Extra Turning again, and Persist additional buffs (Divine Power, Righteous Might, Freedom of Movement, etc).

Though everything is perfectly legal and only requires the PHB, Complete Arcane, and Complete Divine, your DM will now hate you, and will ban Divine Metamagic and Persistent Spell. You will have long and bitter arguments, and your gaming experience will be ruined. Congratulations, because that's the result of seeking revenge on a DM.

I suggest your DM a beer and focus on having a good time instead.

ocato
2007-03-26, 10:08 AM
Fighting (or surviving) a half vampire (huh?) and a dread necromancer. I don't know too much about either, but Clerics and Paladins are known to whallop undead and their masters with extreme prejudice. Infact, you might even say they lollerskate over their faces.

Why do I keep saying that you ask? Cursed by a 14 year old wiccan.

Variable Arcana
2007-03-26, 10:28 AM
There are a number of confusing things about your post.

You're a 5th level party, but a 9th level fighter is about to join? Perhaps you should just roll up a 9th level character yourself...

The cheating you describe sounds so blatant, it's difficult to imagine the DM wouldn't notice -- and it sounds like you've tried to call it to his attention. Perhaps the rules of the "game" some of you are playing are different than you think -- "roll" up your own uber-char out of sight, and load him down with three or four times the amount of approved starting EQ...