PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Enhance Water: Deadly weapon?

Xuldarinar
2014-11-30, 05:55 PM
So I noticed the enhance water (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic/all-spells/e/enhance-water) spell, which basically turns water into an alcoholic beverage, and something occurred to me.

This spell turns water into an alcoholic beverage, regardless of contaminants. The contaminants within the water are removed, though the resulting drink is darker or more full-bodied. This is a neat spell but harmless until one realizes one important thing: The human body contains water and requires it to survive.

Could you touch a person with this spell and turn some, if not all, of the water in their body to turn into wine/beer/ect.?

SamsDisciple
2014-11-30, 06:03 PM
Awesome idea, as a DM I would probably allow it once because it is such a cool idea. Then I would point out that you need to touch the water not the person, then comes the argument about whether blood is magical at all. After your one time use due to the rule of cool I would personally rule no to using the spell offensively if only because of the many places in different systems that use blood to fuel magic which means blood has magical properties which means the spell wont work.

(This goes for other bodily fluids as well at least as long as it is in the body)

Xuldarinar
2014-11-30, 07:31 PM
Awesome idea, as a DM I would probably allow it once because it is such a cool idea. Then I would point out that you need to touch the water not the person, then comes the argument about whether blood is magical at all. After your one time use due to the rule of cool I would personally rule no to using the spell offensively if only because of the many places in different systems that use blood to fuel magic which means blood has magical properties which means the spell wont work.

(This goes for other bodily fluids as well at least as long as it is in the body)

Well, lets break this one down.

Contact with the water: Ok. You get them bleeding then touch the wound or the blood pouring out as you cast it. Simple enough.

Is blood magical: Well, what do we mean by magical? Its used in a lot of spells, and in magic systems, but is it magical intrinsically? Is it the blood in these systems that actually is the driving force when used as a component, or is it symbolic in nature more than actually having a direct function? I will not deny that a sorcerer's blood is magical, or that a demon's blood is magical, but is a human commoner's blood intrinsically magical?

Zaq
2014-11-30, 11:41 PM
The spell has the [harmless] keyword. Therefore, even if you do transmute the water in someone's body to beer, it won't hurt them. Why? It's magic. But it explicitly says that it's harmless, so it's harmless, no matter how illogical you may think that is.

animewatcha
2014-11-30, 11:51 PM
Then we go into how 'harmless' prestidigitation was supposed to be...

OracleofWuffing
2014-12-01, 12:08 AM
If it's harmless, does it also remove poisons, diseases, minerals, and toxins from a person whose body-water was transformed into wine?

Arbane
2014-12-01, 12:38 AM
"If you can do it to them, they can do it to you right back."

icefractal
2014-12-01, 02:07 AM
You can't generally target parts of a creature's body with magic. Otherwise, you could Shatter their bones, for example. You could probably do this on the blood of a corpse though.

Xuldarinar
2014-12-01, 03:30 AM
You can't generally target parts of a creature's body with magic. Otherwise, you could Shatter their bones, for example. You could probably do this on the blood of a corpse though.

Well, is there a rule that says you cannot do that or is it simply assumed? I can give balance reasons why not, but from a technical standpoint why could you not cast Shatter on a person's bones? And to your example, why could you cast it upon the blood of a corpse but not the blood of a living creature?

I do not disagree so much as that I just would like to see the explanation that follows.

Arbane
2014-12-01, 05:24 AM
Well, is there a rule that says you cannot do that or is it simply assumed? I can give balance reasons why not, but from a technical standpoint why could you not cast Shatter on a person's bones? And to your example, why could you cast it upon the blood of a corpse but not the blood of a living creature?

I do not disagree so much as that I just would like to see the explanation that follows.

Because then the game turns into Save Or Die rocket tag at level ONE.
And bones don't have hitpoints or hardness when they're inside a living body. (AS FAR AS I KNOW. Now someone will drag out a sourcebook I've never heard of...)

Pyon
2014-12-01, 10:31 AM
Well someone mentioned that it was harmless so it might not kill someone... But what if the fact that they have a load of alcohol in their blood they pass out? Or are just drunk beyond belief? That could also be entertaining.