PDA

View Full Version : Favorite Prestige Class

Pooflive
2014-11-30, 07:03 PM
Do you guys have any favorite prestige class? And if so is there any story behind it? I would like to know!

Forrestfire
2014-11-30, 07:22 PM
Off the top of my head, I think my favorite prestige classes are Abjurant Champion, Swiftblade, and Silver Key (in no specific order).

Abjurant Champion and Swiftblade because gishes are probably my favorite fantasy archetype, and both force fields and super speed are up there in my favorite uses of magic. Silver Key because its capstone is "you are immune to doors". :smallbiggrin:

otakumick
2014-11-30, 07:32 PM
I absolutely love Mind Mage from dragon magazine... also, I love the Fleshwarper from Lords of Madness and the Hidecarved Dragon from Draconomicon...

DJroboninja
2014-11-30, 07:37 PM
Arcane Trickster, hands down. I love rogues and I love sorcerers, so it's super awesome to be able to be both. They're not the highest op class, but they're so fun.

Manly Man
2014-11-30, 07:39 PM
For me, it's the Ruby Knight Vindicator and Jade Phoenix Mage from Tome of Battle, and the Frenzied Berserker from Complete Warrior (I have a rough draft as it for a Barbarian archetype in Pathfinder, but I still need to work out some kinks; maybe I'll put that up on this forum sometime).

Pooflive
2014-11-30, 07:41 PM
My favorite is Gray Guard, I haven't played a ton of 4th Edition, but my DM is rather strict (but fair) on what acts Paladins can perform without losing their powers, Gray Guard gave me the ability to act more Good than Lawful. Performing lesser acts of even for the greater good is a hard thing to measure, and morality was always a huge deal with my DM, but that's what let us explore our characters better.

EDIT: :) I am glad to see all the interesting replies so far! I hope we see some more cool ones.

ALSO Elan's Prestige, Dashing Swordsman, (The PUNS!)

Extra Anchovies
2014-11-30, 07:51 PM
Sand Shaper. Colossal crossbow bolts are DC 0 to shape, and thus require zero time to make; Launch Bolt lets you get 6d8 damage from a cantrip, which isn't too shabby IMO. Also it's great for sorcerers, and I absolutely love the flavor.

Rakoa
2014-11-30, 09:04 PM
Walker in the Wastes is a good one in my books. I also really like Fochlucan Lyrist as a callback to the roots. Ahh, the good ol' days...

ngilop
2014-11-30, 09:59 PM
The Tactical soldier form miniatures handbook ( I think) and the Legendary Dreadnought frome pic level handbook, as BOTH are thing the poor fighter should have had from the get go and gave me the brilliant idea to just take those classes apart and say 'here ya go fighter'!

the abilities are great and what a powerful and skilled fwarrior should be able to do.

Faily
2014-11-30, 10:21 PM
#1 goes to Jade Phoenix Mage. I think the fluff is really cool and is adaptable for so many settings and places. I also have a big place in my heart for fighter-mages.

#2 for Ultimate Magus. The joys of combining prepared caster with spontaneous caster, and thus become an nigh infinite supply of spells and tricks... I love it. I only wish it last more than 10 levels since I want to continue increasing both casting classes forever. :smalltongue:

#3 is a tough one, but in the end it goes to Hathran/Durthan. The fluff really pulls these ones through for me, as it often tends to be for many of my beloved PrCs, as I like the witch-theme of those two. Rashemen is also one of the places I like the most in Forgotten Realms, especially how Elaine Cunningham depicted it in the Windwalker novel (and Fyodor's description of it in the two previous books).

Hiro Protagonest
2014-11-30, 10:24 PM
Eternal Blade. Hey! Listen!

Thiyr
2014-11-30, 11:23 PM
Easily Warshaper. It's general enough and solid enough that on non-gish martials I almost always come to the question of "can I afford to be a changeling and get 4 levels of this in?"

Second is prob Abj. Champ though. Love me mah gishes.

torrasque666
2014-11-30, 11:27 PM
Warforged Juggernaut.

I believe this sums it up well enough:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=75cVj4m2x0Q

Zanos
2014-11-30, 11:33 PM
Weretouched master was great for barbearians before the errata, which I refuse to use.

heavyfuel
2014-11-30, 11:54 PM
The Swiftblade is freaking awesome and easily my favorite PrC. It's the only class that justifies (up to what I consider high-OP) losing 4 caster levels while taking two worthless feats! It's extremly flavourful, it forces a somewhat weird combo and isn't a "I win" PrC. Sure at very high-OP, keep going as a Wizard or Sorcerer is better, but for the average game it's just so cool to play one!

Mjollnir075
2014-12-01, 12:26 AM
Runecaster, from PGtF. Lets you cover your items in permanent runes of pretty much any divine spell you got. Throw runes of cure spells on some rocks, make em a necklace. Team now has command word heal spells whenever they need em, permanently. Runes of Divine Might on your weapon, so whenever you grab it, you're ready to rock and roll. Flavor is pretty barebones, so you can fluff it how you wish. Makes an awesome gish if you go Cleric 4/Crusader 1/Runecaster 8/Ruby Knight Vindicator 7. 9th level spells and 7th level maneuvers, with all the buffs you can carry.

In PF, it's Master Chymist. So much flavor. Pretty much be able to use 2 characters, albeit with the same character sheet. Jekyll mode, you are the smartest guy in the room. You associate with high rollers and the great minds of the land. Hyde mode, you're a thug wandering the streets, looking for the next fool walking down the alley with a fat purse. You're only friends are those that only operate in the shady corners of the city. It's a PrC made for plot hooks. I love it.

Edit: Spelling
Double Edit: I'm an idiot. Got Jekyll and Hide Mixed up. Thanks Extra Anchovies

Extra Anchovies
2014-12-01, 12:29 AM
Hyde mode, you are the smartest guy in the room. You associate with high rollers and the great minds of the land. Jekyll mode, you're a thug wandering the streets, looking for the next fool walking down the alley with a fat purse.

You might have the two roles mixed up there... Remember, it's Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde :smallbiggrin:

Mjollnir075
2014-12-01, 12:39 AM
You might have the two roles mixed up there... Remember, it's Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde :smallbiggrin:

Shiiiiiiiiiiiii----

I'm such an idiot. Ill edit and fix it. I knew I should have double checked..

(Un)Inspired
2014-12-01, 01:45 AM
I'm partial to Bear Warrior. The idea of someone getting so mad that they turn into a bear is one I find hilarious.

I love Sublime Chord however. I love the fact that there's a prestige class for the quadrivium and it's powerful. Higher education FTW!

DMVerdandi
2014-12-01, 06:00 AM
Tainted sorcerer.
I love the flavor of the class, the mechanics (dat converted mahou-tsukai), and pretty much everything. Granted, the taint mechanics probably should have a cap, or perhaps one set by a feat to limit how high one's taint score gets if they are of the evil subtype, or Undead.

Not to be an edge lord, but there is something about being empowered by tangible, physical evil that just attracts me like no other. Reminds me of a few things. The sith from star wars, lovecraftian cultists, and the power of darkness from kingdom hearts.

I would love to play one as an trained killer with a good heart, but empowered by black, murky, inky taint.

Greymane
2014-12-01, 02:51 PM
Fiend Binder. It has a lot of things to dislike about it, though. You lose three caster levels and it requires skill ranks in Truenaming to enter. However, I have a soft spot for fiends, and no other class quite gives me a harem of sexy demon women like it does. :smallamused:

AkuArkaine
2014-12-01, 08:33 PM
I love the Incantatrix and Initiate of the Sevenfold Veil for 3.5. I played Abjurers usually before Pathfinder.

I've come to love the Winter Witch since I switched.

Venger
2014-12-01, 08:37 PM
chameleon. access to all spls up to 6. a great way to handicap yourself when playing with a less experienced group and keep your options open.

Sand Shaper. Colossal crossbow bolts are DC 0 to shape, and thus require zero time to make; Launch Bolt lets you get 6d8 damage from a cantrip, which isn't too shabby IMO. Also it's great for sorcerers, and I absolutely love the flavor.

making smaller stuff with nonmoving parts is a -5DC check. it thus requires -5 minutes to shape, so appears 5 minutes before you actually start doing anything, so you can send yourself messages backwards through time. you can even have a code to chain the effect: sand triangle: rewind 5 more minutes. sand square: stop here. sand circle: the person you're talking to is going to betray you in 5 mins, etc.

it can even be modulated to send in intervals of less than 5 minutes. very strange implications.

I call it "sands of time"

atemu1234
2014-12-01, 09:55 PM
I like gray guard, personally, because it's about a character that goes from being an idealistic young paladin to a slightly more jaded (but still believing in good and justice and apple pie) person who deals with evil in the best way they think they can.

Be it for the best or not, I find that awesome.

137beth
2014-12-01, 09:59 PM
Initiate of the Sevenfold Veil. When I first read the descriptions of the magic schools, I decided abjuration was my favorite for some reason. Unfortunately, it kind of gets shafted a lot due to transmutation and conjuration doing so much.
Iot7V brings abjuration back into the foregrounds. And it works well with my favorite tier (2).

Invader
2014-12-01, 10:27 PM
All the Harper Prestige classes although none are really done well just because I like the fluff of the harpers.

Incanatrix because MOAR POWER