PDA

View Full Version : Knowledge Skill used for philosophy/astronomy?

Thealtruistorc
2014-11-30, 07:43 PM
To put it simply, what I want is a character who is knowledgeable in the ways of the universe, be it through looking to the stars or looking deep into the intricacies of existence. Profession does not seem fitting, as the premise is based upon learning rather than experience. What skill would be most appropriate for this character, or should I create a Knowledge (Philosophy) skill for this purpose?

Doc_Maynot
2014-11-30, 07:57 PM
While Philosophy could be tied to the other Knowledge skills (Religion, Arcana, Local, Nobility, History), I believe Astronomy was listed in Dragon Magazine.

heavyfuel
2014-12-01, 01:10 AM
The first thing to remember is that the Proffesion, Craft, Knowledge and Perform skills that appear in the many books are just examples.There's nothing forbiding you from having ranks in Perform (Nyckelharpa) despite it not being present in any book.

With that said, Knowledge (Phylosophy) is good, especially if you remind your DM that skills can be keyed off of other abilities as per the DMG pg33. Having him key it off of Wisdom insteadof Int will be pretty good.

K. (Astronomy) is also much better than profession, but unlike the Profession (Astrologer) skill presented in the Sublime Chord prerequisite, Astronomy should really be based off Int, as it's actual study of how the planets orbit around the stars and whatnot.

(Un)Inspired
2014-12-01, 01:36 AM
Knowledge planes probably covers astronomy is a fantasy setting right?

Philosophy can be covered by a load of different skills. Do you want your character to be continental or analytical?

I've always had knowledge engineering cover mathematical knowledge; you could extent that all the way in covering Frege and Russel and Wittgenstein (although decipher script probably is perfect for him) even if you were to be extremely generous.

Aristotle's Physics probably falls under knowledge nature.

You could probably squeeze Occassionalism and Pre-established harmony under knowledge religion. Actually a lot of metaphysics works well as knowledge religion (stupidly obvious stuff like Plantinga and van Inwagen but Leibniz and Malebranche fit in there perfectly fine; in fact, you could even include Epicurus depending on your world).

You could even use craft skills like craft: dispair for Keirkegaard or Satre.

Maybe the heal skill for Jungs work? Or lucid dreaming?

I guess it really depends on what kind of thought you want to focus on.

EDIT: Oh Oh Oh! Wait, the truespeak skill is perfect for Wittgenstein's Tractatus.

Seto
2014-12-01, 06:34 AM
For knowledge about the actual metaphysical ways of the world, Knowledge (Religion) is fine. For knowledge about what others have thought and the philosophical tradition of the world, I'd make it fall under Knowledge (History). Personally, for a philosopher character, I love a Cloistered Cleric of Boccob.
And I think Astronomy (if we are talking about the Material Plane) is arguably Knowledge (Nature). Although Knowledge (Nature) usually covers the sublunar portion of the world. But I'd say no to Knowledge (the Planes), because stars and planets are still part of the Material Plane of existence.

Eldan
2014-12-01, 06:58 AM
Depends on the physics of your world. For Eberron, I'd say Planes, as an example. I had a setting where magic schools were tied to the motion of the planets, so Astronomy was an intrinsic part of Arcana. It could be Religion, if the planet Jupiter is literally an embodiment of the god Jupiter. Or if they are just rocks, I could easily see it tied to Knowledge: Nature (which I consider pretty much the catch-all for Natural Philosohpy).