PDA

View Full Version : Partial counter to Mindsight

Heliomance
2014-12-01, 08:34 AM
I've just found this useful ability that partially counters the previously thought unbeatable Mindsight.

The Hellbreaker, from Fiendish Codex II, gets the following ability:

Telepathic Static (Su): Beginning at 1st level, you emit a field of psychic chatter out to a range of 20 feet, negating the telepathy ability of all creatures within range.

It also has some suppressive effects on divination magic, but that's the important bit. If you're within 20ft of a Mindsight user, their Telepathy - and hence, their Mindsight - shuts down.

Extra Anchovies
2014-12-01, 08:42 AM
Hm. I like. It could be parsed one of two ways:

you emit a field of psychic chatter out to a range of 20 feet, negating the [telepathy ability of all creatures] [within range.]This would mean you would show up as a 20-foot-radius dead zone (that is, that telepathy abilities do not function on targets within 20 feet of you)

you emit a field of psychic chatter out to a range of 20 feet, negating the [telepathy ability] [of all creatures within range.]This would mean it only blocks telepathy with a source within 20 feet.

The latter is a closer reading of RAW, but my initial interpretation of the ability was the former; plus, the former is more in line with the fluff, at least IMO.

Also, FCII continues to be one of my favorite splats for giving martials some legitimately good prestige classes. I especially like the Hellreaver, because it's sort of ToB-lite with its per-encounter abilities.

heavyfuel
2014-12-01, 08:47 AM
I would rule this by the later option EA presented, which is both how I first read the ability to work, and how, after considering both options, is the option I think is best. Plus, this version works against blanket immunities that I dislike so much.

Elkad
2014-12-01, 10:04 AM
I'd use the 1st ruling, treating it as a telepathic silence. If you are in the area, you can't use telepathy at all. If you are outside the area, your telepathy can't penetrate the boundary and affect anything inside.

Like any ability involving senses other than sight or sound, it's poorly thought out. It should give you some sort of telepathic hiding bonus, but then Mind Blank should probably do something similar as well. A skilled enough telepath should be able to hear through the static. Or in the case of Mind Blank, detect your barrier (indicating the presence of a creature), even if unable to penetrate it.

Scent, Tremorsense, Blindsense/sight, Telepathic Detection/Sight, and I guess "Tasting the Air" if it existed all need actual perception rules.