PDA

View Full Version : Trans-Atlantic Carrion Crown Offshoot

JWallyR
2014-12-01, 10:15 AM
Around 9:30, Gundwolf can be seen trudging toward the late Professor's house, seeming not to see anything but the ground before his feet.

DarkOne-Rob
2014-12-01, 10:55 AM
Seeing his companion approach Kristoph rises from where he sat on the porch, deliberately being loud enough that the half-orc won't be startled by his presence. Smiling he says, "I wish you had joined us for the evening meal - we celebrated Chad's life with good food, good drink, and...mostly good song. It was a healing moment for so many." Shrugging he puts his prayerbook and journal to the side and continues, "You left so suddenly after the service, I was worried something about the song I sang might have upset you. Do you want to talk about it?"

JWallyR
2014-12-01, 05:59 PM
Gundwolf starts at the sound of Kristoph's movement, reflexively crouching with a hand reaching for his flail before seeming to recognize the half-elf. His shoulders slump wearily, and he listens with dull eyes until the half-elf finishes.

Robes were too tight, couldn't move. Too many people. His eyes take on an almost feral intensity, and his breathing quickens. After several tense seconds, he seems to regain some semblance of composure. Suddenly he speaks sharply, spitting out the words as though they sear his tongue: I don't know why Chad was such a fool, and I don't understand why your god wishes her children to die. I have no great desire to join him in whatever hell follows this one, no matter how many celebrate my passing. His suddenly fierce scowl begins to subside, replaced by a bone-deep weariness.

DarkOne-Rob
2014-12-02, 03:48 AM
Kristoph looks down sadly. "Chad wasn't a fool - I was. Pharasma is a goddess of fate, and death is the end of all, just as life is the beginning. She doesn't wish for anyone's death anymore than the river wishes the sun to set. It just is." He takes a deep breath before continuing, "We don't celebrate his passing, but rather his life. There is a difference, and it is very meaningful."

The paladin looks up at the sky, taking in the silence for a moment. "You cannot avoid death, not without becoming an undead abomination such as those we both hate. How then will you live, in fear or valor? Chad's death saved our lives; do you plan to make something of it?"

JWallyR
2014-12-03, 12:28 PM
Kristoph looks down sadly. "Chad wasn't a fool - I was. Pharasma is a goddess of fate, and death is the end of all, just as life is the beginning. She doesn't wish for anyone's death anymore than the river wishes the sun to set. It just is." He takes a deep breath before continuing, "We don't celebrate his passing, but rather his life. There is a difference, and it is very meaningful."

Gundwolf looks up from his boots to watch Kristoph, the half-orc's brows furrowed in something akin to confusion.

The paladin looks up at the sky, taking in the silence for a moment. "You cannot avoid death, not without becoming an undead abomination such as those we both hate. How then will you live, in fear or valor? Chad's death saved our lives; do you plan to make something of it?"

Looking back toward the turf, Gundwolf rumbles, Fear I know, and his brother anger also. They have kept me alive when little else I knew. This 'valor' I know not.

DarkOne-Rob
2014-12-04, 05:23 AM
"Chad showed valor when he saved our lives. It is protecting others because it is good and no one else can. Selfless valor is the highest of callings, the mark of a true hero," Kristoph replies sincerely, his eyes staring at nothing in the distance. "But more than that, it is a sign of how much you love and care for others. Standing firm against evil for the sake of children, your comrades, your faith or home shows your devotion to that thing. It is why we honor Chad and cherish his memory."

The paladin sits on the steps and gestures for the other to sit beside him. "Anger is a powerful weapon, especially when it is righteous and directed at heinous evil, such as the undead. I have seen - and received - your anger in battle, and it is incredible! You could sharpen and hone such rage into a force to destroy the wicked!" he exclaims, his eyes intense and voice passionate. "I admire that power in you. You could be the hammer that crushes the skulls of countless undead, ending their threat in a way that I never could. Professor Lorrimor must have seen that in you, too, and hoped it would prove helpful in the coming days."

JWallyR
2014-12-08, 04:16 PM
"But more than that, it is a sign of how much you love and care for others. Standing firm against evil for the sake of children, your comrades, your faith or home shows your devotion to that thing. It is why we honor Chad and cherish his memory."

Gundwolf's expression sours, leaving him looking sullenly toward the dirt.

The paladin sits on the steps and gestures for the other to sit beside him. "Anger is a powerful weapon, especially when it is righteous and directed at heinous evil, such as the undead. I have seen - and received - your anger in battle, and it is incredible! You could sharpen and hone such rage into a force to destroy the wicked!" he exclaims, his eyes intense and voice passionate. "I admire that power in you. You could be the hammer that crushes the skulls of countless undead, ending their threat in a way that I never could. Professor Lorrimor must have seen that in you, too, and hoped it would prove helpful in the coming days."

Hesitant at first to accept the paladin's invitation, Gundwolf listens where he stands before grudgingly acknowledging the paladin's implied compliments to his prowess and coming to rest on the stoop. Tiredness returns to his face. Turning to look into the paladin's eyes, he speaks softly:I have no family, no faith, no home. What comrades I have are a bittersweet reminder of the only friendship I have ever come to know. The burden of this life is one I have borne alone, and what family I once had did little to ease it. Looking down at his feet, he continues, Were it not for the fear of whatever may follow, I would have lain down such a burden long ago. At times, even anger itself rings hollow.

DarkOne-Rob
2014-12-08, 04:47 PM
Respectfully keeping some distance between the two Kristoph turns and says, "If you would let me, I would be proud to call you a friend and more. Comrades in arms are more like brothers, even. Give me time and perhaps I can even ease your fear of life, for until you live why should you fear death?" Turning back to face the front he says, more quietly, "...Besides, death is not the end..."

JWallyR
2014-12-08, 05:20 PM
Gundwolf turns to look at Kristoph with something like suspicion for a moment, but the suspicion fades into a worried doubt as his gaze returns to his shoes. My honor is bound to the Professor's last request. We shall see if that is time enough.

With a stony face, Gundwolf stands and makes his way to the door into the house.

DarkOne-Rob
2014-12-10, 06:58 AM
Kristoph silently watches the half-orc walk inside and then turns to stare up at the night sky for several minutes longer before following him inside and heading to bed.