PDA

View Full Version : D&D 3.x Class The Shaper

qwertyu63
2014-12-01, 10:43 AM
I have been refining this idea (which I have stolen from a source I can no longer find [I found a source (http://1d4chan.org/wiki/Four_By_Five_Magic), but that isn't the location I got it from initially]) into a basic system for building spells on the fly. I call it shaping, and it is directly based around the use of words. There are 8 words, and you combine them to make the effect you want. An effect is built around a Verb-Noun pair. Via a long series of tweaks, the the nouns and verbs themselves became completely pointless, so I removed them.

I'm aware the balance of this idea is questionable. The base power level and scaling rules should keep the effects from getting too powerful, but the fact that they can be spammed does make things questionable.

The Shaper:
Saves: Fort: Poor, Ref: Poor, Will: Good.
BAB: 3/4, Hit die: d6.

Skills: Spot, Listen, Search, Bluff, Craft, Knowledge (any), Sense Motive, Profession.
Points per level: 4+Int/level ([4+Int]*4 at first level)
Weapon/Armor: All simple weapons, light armor, no shields.

Shaping:
You can re-shape reality with just your willpower; that is, you are capable of Shaping (see Shaping).

Shaping Focus (Ex):
Shapers have a great well of willpower. The shaper has a pool of willpower points; the maximum size of this pool is equal to their Shaper level plus their Wisdom modifier. By resting for 30 minutes, the shaper can fill this pool to its maximum size; they may do this any number of times per day. Whenever the shaper makes a Will saving throw, they may spend up to 5 willpower points; they add a bonus to that save equal to the number of points spent.

Balanced Will (Ex):
Trained shapers can avoid failure that arrives by sheer fluke. Starting at level 11, shapers no longer automatically fail Will saving throws on a natural 1. Instead, a natural 1 imposes a -5 penalty on the saving throw.

Shaping:
Shapers can reshape reality by channeling their sheer force of will. Attempting to reshape is a standard action and requires the Shaping class feature. When reshaping, you can attempt almost any effect you can imagine.

When you attempt to reshape, you must attempt a Will saving throw (this Will saving throw is known as your shaping save). Resistance bonuses do not apply to this saving throw. The DC of your shaping save starts at 13; however, this DC might be increased if the effect desired is more powerful.

Shaping effects are treated as spells for most purposes. They can be detected with detect magic and dispelled with dispel magic. However, shaping has no school and does not provoke attacks of opportunity.

The shaper chooses the school of the effect, which must match the effect (subject to DM approval). The effective spell level of the effect is 1.

An effect can only do one thing at a time. When crafting an effect, use the following guidelines for the power of the effect:
* When modifying a d20 roll, add or subtract 2.
* When modifying AC, add or subtract 2.
* When dealing with hit points or damage, use 1d8.
* When modifying movement speeds, add or subtract 10 feet/round.
* When divining information, learn 1 fact.
* When summoning creatures, summon 1 CR (split if desired).
* Effects target either a single target (creature, target, etc) or an area.
* The default range is 30 feet.
* The default duration is 1 minute.
* The default radius for area spells is 10 feet.
* If an effect targets an area, creatures can make a Reflex save for half (DC 11+Wis).
* At the DM's discretion, some effects allow a Fort or Will save to negate (DC 11+Wis).

Some effects are intended to be possible, but are not clear. Some of those effects are as follows:
* Adding a new type of movement speed; add 10 feet/round to zero.
* Creating illusions; must fit within 10 foot radius.
* Move objects; range 30 feet, object moves 10 feet/round.
* Dispel other magic; caster level is shaper level.

If you need more power, you will need to Step Up the effect. Stepping Up increases the DC of the shaping save by 2; you can not increase the DC by more than shaper level minus one. For each Step Up, increase the effect from the guidelines as follows:
* d20 roll or AC: add or subtract 2 more.
* Hit points or damage: use 1d8 more.
* Movement speeds: add or subtract 10 more feet/round.
* When divining information, learn 1 more fact.
* When summoning creatures, summon 1 more CR.
* Increase the range by 30 feet.
* Increase the duration by 1 minute.
* Increase the radius for area spells by 10 feet.
* Increase the save DC by 1.
* Increase the effective spell level by 1.
Perfect Will:
Your have an extremely tough force of will.
Prerequisite: Iron Will
Benefit: You get a +3 bonus on all Will saving throws. This bonus stacks with other bonuses on Will saves, including the one from Iron Will.

Compounded Willpower:
You have increased your willpower above your peers.
Prerequisite: Shaping Focus class feature
Benefit: The maximum size of your willpower pool is increased by 6.

Blazing Focus:
You can boost your shaping power now, at the cost of burning out later.
Prerequisites: Shaping class feature, 5 hit dice
Benefit: You may increase the DC of your shaping save by an additional 2 points over your normal limit. However, whenever you do, you take 1d4 points of Wisdom damage; this damage is dealt after you roll the shaping save.

Amechra
2014-12-01, 11:56 AM
Oh, hey, Ars Magica in D&D form.

qwertyu63
2014-12-04, 10:22 AM
Oh, hey, Ars Magica in D&D form.

Can I get a refund on the 4 hours I have now spent reading the rules to that game because of you?

That said, the magic systems do have a fair bit in common. Ars Magica has given me some ideas. Watch this space.

Amechra
2014-12-04, 11:16 AM
There are no refunds, only the inexorable march of entropy (which would make a cool Martial Discipline name).

But I'm glad you got some inspiration out of it.