PDA

View Full Version : The Celestial Palace [Celestial Bureaucracy]

Pages : [1] 2

Fenric
2007-03-26, 08:13 AM
An enormous facility on the outer planes, the palace compound holds the home temples of the myriad gods of the bureaucracy, the barracks of the guardians, and the massive buildings of the Celestial Emperor's residence.

Fenric
2007-03-26, 08:27 AM
A meeting of the high council having just ended, the Minister of Fate exits the great hall and summons his underling, the Secretary of Prophecy.

The emperor commands that we use the current opportunity to resolve the situation with Inari

Which situation is this, your excellancy?

As you know, Inari has a long history of meddling in affairs that are not truly her concern. She insists on claiming an interest wherever her chosen subjects may be. While this often works to our advantage, this time she has gone too far.

She has taken a temple on a hub-world, and through that has become embroiled too closely with affairs of a barbarian race nominally related to foxes.

The Secretaryy of Prophecy sighs

Her obsession with those animals is most strange

The Minister shakes his head

Be that as it may, she has taken an avatar which is tainting her with evil: This cannot be allowed. I have declared the fates to be in foavor of Inari, but the Emperor commands that we have but one chance to save her. Come.

The two walk back to the Minister's own temple, where he produces a divine scrying mirror.

Long ago, these fox-creatures lived in an evil barbarian realm. Being resourceful as is the nature of their kind, they found a means to flee.

The mirror shows a dreary, frozen land deep in Gehenna. A line of werefoxes treks through a glowing portal.

Their priestess was overcome by a prophecy, and began telling it. As she reached a crucial point, however...

The mirror shifts and shows a vixen chanting. As she does so, a winged woman in heavy armor wielding a deadly sword comes up behind her with an enraged countenance. With a mighty sweep of her sword, she lops the vixen's head from her shoulders.

I am not sure if that is one of the barbarian fate-spinners, or one of their agents: but it makes no difference now. The critical parts of the prophecy were never told. This is our opportunity.

The Secretary of Prophecy looks confused

I humbly beg your pardon, Excellancy, but what opportunity is this. Surely the prophecy had nothing to do with Inari.

The Minister nods

You are correct, it did not. It is my intention to take control of the prophecy for our own ends. You shall deliver an ending to the priests of Inari that suits our needs. Then, with the assistance of the other ministers, we shall manipulate events to bring it about. The barbarian managers of fate must not be allowed to control a member of the bureaucracy.

The Secretary bows as he leaves the room

I shall do as you command, Excellancy

Fen3
2007-03-27, 06:35 AM
The next day, the Ministry is in an uproar. Fixing the damage caused the previous night has taken effectively hundreds of years, though the gods worked outside of actual time to do it. The Minister of Fate gets roundly roughed up as the principle cause.

When you botch something up, you do a thorough job of it!

Next time, just stay home.

Harried and exhausted, the Minister retreats to his own temple.

They think these things are so easy! I'd like to have seen them do better... At least things are going the way we want, now.

He goes to the mirror, still set up from the day previous, and watches the Temple of Inari in Town...

Fenric
2007-03-27, 09:02 AM
The Minister of Fate groans and holds his head in his hands

Oh shocking frell. Now there are two prophecies... and that in a hub-world. The Emperor will have my head if I can't straighten this out.

Fenric
2007-04-19, 03:48 PM
Fenric appears in the office of the Ministry of Goodhood

Hello. I'm going to be applying for two new portfolios. They involve techniques not [yet] generally known in the worlds overseen by the bureaucracy.

The secretary sighs

What is it this time, Fenric, and for whom?

Fenric smiles

Spellweaving and True Enchantment. For me.

The secretary arches his eyebrows

I'll look into it...

Fenric waits patiently.

Nevrmore
2007-04-19, 04:02 PM
((This sounds like the making of a plot. Is it okay for Plot to pop in or no?))

Fenric
2007-04-19, 04:09 PM
(( Of course it sounds like plot - it's one of my side threads :smallbiggrin:. Sure, Plot can stop by ))

The secretary looks up.

I have no records matching your "True Enchantment", so you've got it. There is no match for your "Spellweaving" within the bureaucracy, but your application is a bit of sophistry: you only get contested status for that.

Fenric shrugs

Close enough. Most of our domains are contested already anywyay

The secretary shrugs as well, and makes the appropriate entries.

Nevrmore
2007-04-19, 04:11 PM
"Sorry, I'm fashionably late." A voice echoes from nowhere. Suddenly, Plot fizzles into existence, floating upside down while sitting Indian-style.

Fenric
2007-04-19, 04:17 PM
Fenric looks over at Plot with a grin

As busy as I keep you, it's a wonder you are this early. What brings you to the celestial palace?

Nevrmore
2007-04-19, 04:19 PM
"Governing the various laws that are keeping this whole affair alive." Plot drops down and flips himself over, landing gracefully on his feet. "And you?"

Fenric
2007-04-19, 04:21 PM
Fenric grins

Advancing no fewer than four separate plots all at once. Although they aren't all immediately obvious.

Nevrmore
2007-04-19, 04:23 PM
"Not obvious to anyone but myself, mon frere." Plot nods knowingly because, y'know, he's Plot. After that, he looks around to appreciate his surroundings. "Nice place."

Fenric
2007-04-19, 04:28 PM
The secretary looks completely confused, but acknolwedges the compliment.

Thanks.... um... will there be anything else?

Fenric shakes his head.

Not here. Coming, Plot?

Fenric exits the office and makes a short trip down the hall, to the Ministry of Foreign Affairs

Knock, knock.

Go away, Fenric.

Oh, I don't think so. I've brought you a guest.

Nevrmore
2007-04-19, 04:31 PM
Plot looks at the secretary as Fenric exits. "Remember; The fourth wall is dead and buried!" He says almost menacingly, before following the avatar down the hall and into the Ministry of Foregin Affairs. He wavs lackadaisically to anyone inside as he enters, "S'up?"

Fenric
2007-04-19, 04:34 PM
The minister himself is in the office, and he mimics the Minister of Fate: putting his head in his hands

Why me?

Because we love you so very much, and you haven't given me the permissions I wanted.

The Minister of Foreign Affairs looks at Plot in despair.

Do I have to?

Nevrmore
2007-04-19, 04:36 PM
"You don't have to as long as you don't have any problems with spending the next years of your life patrolling a horrible jungle to find the fabled Rune of Cytorrak to heal your girlfriend of her strange illness." Plot responds half-threateningly.

Fenric
2007-04-19, 04:38 PM
The Minister quickly draws out two scrolls and signs them

Here, cure the blasted vampire-girl-thing.

He does the same to the other

And here, go kick Auril off of the continent: It's the best I can do.

Fenric grins a toothy grin

So nice to work with you. Next time, just mail them, eh?

Fenric heads out to the hall, then cracks his knuckles

Now... do I feel lucky, or not?

Nevrmore
2007-04-19, 04:48 PM
"You have the living incarnation of plot on your side, Fenric. You're pretty much the luckiest guy in the world."

Fenric
2007-04-19, 04:52 PM
Fenric nods and heads down the hall, past the imperial court, and to his own wing. He heads up to the office of the Minister of the Left himself.

Here, he bows formally to the celestial at the door

Fenric, avatar of Inari; and the living incarnation of Plot from Town, to see his excellancy.

The celestial nods

Wait here, please

The celestial being heads into the office. Fenric fidgets a little bit.

Nevrmore
2007-04-19, 04:54 PM
"Eh? Why're you all shaking?" Plot leans against the wall, arms folded.

Fenric
2007-04-19, 04:56 PM
Fenric grins

He kinda doesn't like me very much...

The celestial returns

His excellancy will see you now. Please go in.

Fenric looks at Plot, and leads the way inside.

Nevrmore
2007-04-19, 05:00 PM
Plot pushes off the wall and follows Fenric inside.

Fenric
2007-04-19, 05:05 PM
The office of the Celestial Minister of the Left is very grand indeed. The minister himself stands by a window, watching the pond.

Fenric, come in. I'd accuse you of being up to tricks, but as you are a fox it would be redundant.

He turns to face Fenric and Plot

A little bit of intimidation to the stuffy secretaries of the Right is all fine and good, but Foreign Affairs is a thing we must take care with. Understand that if you use the dispensation against Auril, the Miinistry will have no choice but to accept should Bane press a demand against you.

As to what you came here for...

He looks back out the window

I understand your position, but I also still have strong reservations about it, even as I do about you.

Fenric swallows.

Nevrmore
2007-04-19, 05:07 PM
"Hey, uh, does my vote for Fenric's plan count for anything?" Plot sticks his hands in his pockets.

Fenric
2007-04-21, 11:52 AM
The Minister smiles

The Ministry of Lore sends their regards, Plot of the Town.

The issue is complex. I placed my hold on Fenric's dispensation from the Ministry of Godhood for a number of reasons

The Minister sighs

Fenric's brother is not necessarily the best choice for that position. I understand the amount of work involved, but trading evil for evil is a waste of time. I am not convinced that Zakziril is trustworthy.

There is also the matter of a secretary that should be in the Ministry of Weather reporting to an Assistant Minister in the Ministry of Agriculture. We do not need more confusion around here.

(( And I must leave this hanging for now... bye til later ))

Fenric sighs, but smiles

I will surrender the dispensation against Auril: Levistus was freed in a timely fashion and will do the dirty work for us.

As to the other, I offer a compromise: we will surrender the claim on Zak to the Ministry of Storms within the Ministry of Weather. Then neither his alignment nor the conflict of interest will matter any longer.

The Minister of the Left arches his eyebrows in surprise

You volunteer this yourself? You would willingly give him up to Raiden's department?

Fenric nods.

Then so be it. On those two conditions, I withdraw my complaint.

The permission scroll against Auril disappears from Fenric's pack. Fenric bows and disappears.

Nevrmore
2007-04-21, 04:07 PM
"Did I miss something important? I kine of stroked off for a few minutes..."

Fenric
2007-04-21, 04:08 PM
The minister of the left shrugs at Plot

He got what he wanted after making a reasonable compromise; his plots can move forward now.

He chose not to bring up the other thing he has in mind, but you know that one already...

Nevrmore
2007-04-21, 04:13 PM
"Oh, sweet. Well, it was nice meeting you and crap, but I've got plots to forward." Plot winks, which is rather unsettling given his lack of eyes, and disappears.

Fenric
2007-04-21, 09:55 PM
Izumi and Krystal walk out at the entrance to the Minister of the Left's suite. The celestial looks rather surprised that they have come.

We do not generally allow mortals...

Izumi arches an eyebrow

I am the daughter in law of Fenric, and a first rank lord of shadows. I have the right to request an audience with our minister.

Krystal smiles

And I'm his daughter.

The celestial blinks

This is highly irregular. But Fenric himself was here earlier, so maybe the minister forgot to mention... One moment, please...

Nevrmore
2007-04-21, 09:56 PM
A very small version of Plot appears, perched on Krystal's shoulder.

"That's right! Give 'em hell!"

Rebonack
2007-04-21, 10:00 PM
Maph'tey steps through, both his wings wrapped around himself tightly. He half-way expects someone to smite him.

While waiting he busies himself with admiring the interior decorating.

Fenric
2007-04-21, 10:04 PM
The celestial comes back out, looking surprised. He notices Plot, and then does a double-take at Maph'tey.

His excellancy will speak with you...

He gives up trying to figure Maph'tey out and ushers the group into the office.

And so, once again, I have guests from the Town.

Hello, Plot. And greetings, visitor from beyond.

He turns to Izumi and Krystal

You are every bit as bad as your father. You know that, don't you?

Izumi looks at him impassively

We prefer to not take chances, and Father tends to be insecure at times.

Rebonack
2007-04-21, 10:12 PM
Maph'tey bows lightly.

"A pleasure to meet you, Minister," he debates whether or not he's supposed to introduce himself or something.

Fenric
2007-04-21, 10:20 PM
The Minister turns back to Maph'tey

This young lady has given me an ultimatium: Either I do what she wants, or I ratify your suspicion that gods are arrogant meddlers with no regard for their followers.

He sighs and looks out the window

The truth is, some of us are; some of my ministers, even. But my duty is to see to the welfare of the entire bureaucracy. I have had to stand by and watch entire worlds die, in order to ensure that the remainder of a system remains intact.

He turns back

Obviously, this is no such case: your Town was meddled with, and therefore intervention is warranted to set it right.

He smiles

And rather than render Inari incapacitated for a month with the resurrections of seven hundred fifty odd people, it was well to come to me.

Rebonack
2007-04-21, 10:34 PM
A smile creeps up one side of the Traveler's face. He's honestly glad a blind eye isn't being turned to these events.

Fenric
2007-04-21, 10:39 PM
A swell of positive energy flows through the minister that could jump-start a small sun, and he yawns.

Unlike the children, I don't care for special effects: go home, the people of the Town are back where they started this morning.

He turns and retires to his private chambers. Izumi chuckles and Krystal just shakes her head.

You knew that if Maph'tey came, he would do it: didn't you?

Izumi nods

I knew it was most likely. Shall we return?

Izumi and Krystal head out.

Rebonack
2007-04-21, 10:40 PM
The Traveler exits close behind.

Fenric
2007-04-27, 07:15 AM
Flanked by a company of four Inevitibltes in the form of samurai warriors, the Minister of Justice exits the palace and marches to the temple of the Minister of Fate.

Mikaboshi! You are summoned to the court.

the inevitibles step forrward and surround the hapless minister.

What outrage is this? Why do you bring the imperial guard, as if I were a criminal to be arrested, Hachiman?

Because you are a criminal.

The Minister of Fate finds himself dragged from his temple and through the busy streets of the caital, to the palace. Straight down the main corridor, he is ushered into the presence of the Jade Emperor himself. The guards cast Mikaboshi onto his face.

After you so greatly displeased us with your failure, we ordered an audit into your activities

Mikaboshi cringes on the floor

Your serene excellency, I assure you that...

The emperor stands

SILENCE! It is enough that you failed us. But to know that you have a long history of defying the charter we gave you.

You were to oversee the fates: to ensure fairness, and to grant dispensaions to heroes. Instead, you helped your favorites, you thwarted heroes, and you have embarrassed the entire bureaucracy!

Hear now your sentence.

Mikaboshi blubbers as he grovels, and receives a kick from a samurai

You are dismissed from our service, and are banished to the mortal realms.

Remove him at once.

The emperor sits again, and attendnts bring him tea and refreshments. Hachiman bows reverently, then stands and grabs Mikaboshi by the collar and drags him to a well-like portal in the courtyard.

Mind that first step.

Nooooooo!

Hachiman throws the wailing Mikaboshi into the well.

The Geomancer
2007-04-29, 10:02 AM
A man walks up to the Celestial Palace. He is wearing a black pirates cap with a rather large feather sticking out of it. The rest of his clothing is just as dashing and sensational. He seems to be wondering what to do next.

Fenric
2007-05-01, 02:48 PM
A minor celestial functionary notes the man

Can we help you, sir?

The Geomancer
2007-05-01, 02:55 PM
You sure can. I was wondering if I could apply for Godhood. The man has a roguish smile on his face, and doesn't seem to realize that his request could be considered blasphemy.

Fenric
2007-05-01, 03:01 PM
Might be blasphemy in some places, but this is the bureaucracy, and he used the magic word "Apply".

The functionary blinks

Sir, you require a sponsor before you can file with the Ministry of Godhood. Who is your sponsor, and for what portfolio are you applying?

The Geomancer
2007-05-01, 03:05 PM
To answer your first question, I wasn't aware I needed a sponsor, and have no idea how to get one. As to your second, I'm guessing you are asking what I'd be the god of. Travel. I am applying to be the Messenger-God of Travel. The man smiles.

Fenric
2007-05-01, 03:39 PM
The man blinks

You actually want to be a road-god? I imagine the ministry will take you without a sponsor in that case. Head inside, turn right. The Ministry of Godhood is at the far end of the hallway.

The Geomancer
2007-05-01, 03:56 PM
The man is already at the end of the hallway, which might confuse the celestial bureaucrat. Is there some reason I wouldn't want the job? He says, back in front of the man again.

((I have to go and may not be on again until tomorrow))

Fenric
2007-05-01, 04:19 PM
The functionary chuckles

It is the least respected of all portfollios in the bureaucracy. The worshippers of the lands we originate from find travel tedious and their attitude extends into their worship. There are always vacancies for travel gods, here.

The Geomancer
2007-05-01, 09:39 PM
Ah but I am also applying to be the messenger for the gods. Do the lands you originate have no messengers? The pirate hatted man is still wearing a roguish smile.

Fenric
2007-05-01, 09:46 PM
The functionary looks puzzled

Why would you want to be the god of such a humble occupation?

The Geomancer
2007-05-01, 10:02 PM
Mostly to relieve the boredom. The man is suddenly on the other side of the room. Yessiree, some interplanar travel would take the edge off.

Fenric
2007-05-01, 10:05 PM
The functionary is now hopelessly confused

In there...

"In there" is a huge office with a large staff. A particularly prominent desk has a sign that, despite being in Mandarin Chinese from the Ming dynasty, clearly reads "applications".

The Geomancer
2007-05-02, 03:10 PM
The man is suddenly inside of the room, tapping on the desk. He looks back out of the room at the bureaucrat. Is this going to take long.

Fenric
2007-05-02, 03:33 PM
The functionary shrugs

This is the celestial bureaucracy. It shouldn't take more than a thousand years.

The secretary behind the desk hands a stack of papers and a golden pen to the man

Fill these out.

The Geomancer
2007-05-02, 03:44 PM
Ok. The man looks bemused as he fills out the paperwork.

((A little background on him, he doesn't and will never have any divine powers. I hope that won't be a problem ^_-))

Fenric
2007-05-02, 03:47 PM
(( Nope. Won't matter at all: most road-gods don't. ))

The Geomancer
2007-05-02, 09:43 PM
((What information does this paperwork require from him?))

Fenric
2007-05-02, 09:45 PM
(( Oh, general garbage. True name, race, age, last five planes of residence, give three deific references. List at least four miracles performed without help. Number of current and prospective worshippers. That sort of thing. ))

The Geomancer
2007-05-02, 09:59 PM
((Ok, he writes the following in the order you mentioned them.))

I go by James, the rest of my name I have forgotten with time; First Human; As old as the race of man; N/A; I don't have any deific refrences; N/A; No one worships me currently and I don't much care if it stays that way.

Fenric
2007-05-02, 10:07 PM
The secretary looks at the paperwork, shrugs, and places it in a messenger tube.

Please take a number and have a seat.

While this makes little sense, the paper-ticket dispenser is on the desk. He gets "47". The sign on the desk says "Now Serving: 45"

The Geomancer
2007-05-02, 10:26 PM
The man takes the number and sits down. I had no idea there where this many other applicants. He settles down and prepares to wait for 45 to be done and 46 to go.

So... is this going to take long? I haven't stayed in one place for this long in 100,000 years.

((Edit: Fenric?))

Fenric
2007-05-04, 09:33 PM
(( Sorry. busy couple of days. ))

The secretary shrugs, as the number changes to 46.

Probably not.

The Geomancer
2007-05-06, 05:48 PM
James is now wearing a garland of flowers and eating a papaya, you have the feeling he left and went to a luau, but not mortal or immortal perceptions could have positively seen him.

Fenric
2007-05-06, 08:55 PM
The number changes to 47

It is your turn, sir.

An office door that quite simply wasn't there before appears in the wall behind the secretary. (not that anyone but James can see it anyway)

The Geomancer
2007-05-07, 10:41 AM
Knowing that it is best not to seem to eager when applying for a job, James deliberately checks his pace trying to walk towards the door very slowly. Of course slow is relative and for James slow is still faster then anyone else can go. He opens up the door, and steps inside.

Fenric
2007-05-08, 08:25 PM
Within, a man who looks a little different every time you look at him sits at a large desk... or on a glowing alabaster throne... or serenely seated on a giant flower... it's hard to tell.

The Minister of Godhood looks at James

Applying to be a road-god, is it? Why?

The Geomancer
2007-05-09, 08:22 PM
James unconsciously straightens himself up as he feels the gaze of the minister. "Well, Since I became immortal I haven't had much to do but explore. Now I'm so good at it that I've been everywhere and can go anywhere in the blink of an eye. Now I'm just as bored as I was before I started exploring and I figure being a road god will give me something to do."

Fenric
2007-05-10, 12:54 PM
The minister looks thoughtful

Bored? Well... I suppose there are worse reasons.

Which road did you have in mind?

The Geomancer
2007-05-10, 01:40 PM
Which road? James asks, confused. As a god of roads and travel and a messenger for the other gods I thought all roads would be in my jurisdiction.

Fenric
2007-05-10, 01:52 PM
The minister nods

My secretary can be a bit obtuse at times. There is a significant difference between the god of roads, and a road-god. I am sure that the Ministry of the Interior already has such a position covered, but they may be interested in assistance. I will forward you ammended application to them for review. Meanwhile, you can wait in the celestial city.

The minister writes out a pass and gives it to James.

The Geomancer
2007-05-10, 02:02 PM
Bu-wu-Wait! What about my application for the job of messenger of the gods? You haven't dealt with that at all! I don't need to be a road god or anything if I can have that job.

Fenric
2007-05-10, 02:17 PM
The minister shakes his head

A fanciful notion of the barbarian lands... when we wish to tell someone something, we simply do. What purpose would it serve to be a messenger who was never called upon to deliver messages?

The Geomancer
2007-05-10, 03:27 PM
Well what about mortals? You need to communicate with mortals doncha? James is really stretching it. If its a matter of speed then don't worry about that... I'm faster then a direct telepathic link. Really stretching it.

Fenric
2007-05-10, 03:32 PM

There might be a position in the Ministry of Literature for a god of messages.

The Geomancer
2007-05-10, 03:46 PM
Well I hope you will see what you can come up with. He looks at the door. I'll go enjoy the city then.

This is going to be rather hard, because at first mention of the city he had already ran out, explored the entire thing and come back to continue the conversation.

Fenric
2007-05-10, 03:51 PM
The minister retroactively blinks in surprise

That was rather unusual, young man. How did you do that?

The Geomancer
2007-05-10, 03:53 PM
Oh you noticed? Most people don't, gods must be special that way. As I said, I'm very good at traveling and exploring. When you have practiced since the beginning of time its not hard to get that good.

Fenric
2007-05-10, 04:06 PM
The minister arches an eyebrow

The beginning of time, you say?

Several notes appear on the minister's desktop. He picks them up

Nosy wretches... even if it is their job.

He looks up at james

The Ministry of Rogues and Assassins would like to talk to you. This hallway, four doors down, on the left. Take this with you.

He hands James the application packet.

The Geomancer
2007-05-10, 04:24 PM
Umm, Ok...James says, a little thrown off. He decides to flaunt his powers a little as he leaves. An infinitely small fraction of time later he arrives in front of the Ministry of Rogues and Assassins office. He knocks.

tap taptaptaptap tap tap tap

Fenric
2007-05-12, 07:11 PM
The door opens silently. There is no one immediately visible in the room, but James feels someone try to pick his pocket.

Raistlin1040
2007-05-12, 07:47 PM
Ekrath planeshifts in.
Wow. When did this get here?

Fenric
2007-05-12, 07:51 PM
A celestial functionary comes up to Ekrath

Can we help you, sir?

The Geomancer
2007-05-12, 07:52 PM
James, reaches down and catches the hand before it goes even an inch into his pocket. Did I mention he was very fast? Because he is.

Fenric
2007-05-12, 07:53 PM
The secretary of pickpockets is caught.

Impressive.

A shuriken flies at James' eye.

Raistlin1040
2007-05-12, 07:54 PM
I don't think so. I'm already a god, sponsered by Saito Jaishan.

Fenric
2007-05-12, 07:56 PM
The functionary bows politely and heads on his way... doing... functional things.

(( must be a product manager. "PrayerNET has to have an email feature for the next version!" ))

The Geomancer
2007-05-12, 08:07 PM
James catches the shuriken and looks at it. Having been to every place in every plane he should be able to figure out where it was made and a rough estimate of when.

Fenric
2007-05-12, 08:16 PM
The secretary of assassins grins, then he looks off into the distance and scowl

Impressive again. bunch of useless cowards in Town. See if they get any prayers answered this week

A man in a nondescript robe comes up to James.

Welcome, friend. I see you have a pass to the celestial city. You don't really need that anymore.

The Geomancer
2007-05-12, 08:17 PM
I don't? Oh, ok. James says, not entirely sure why he is here.

Fenric
2007-05-12, 08:20 PM
The secretary of frauds takes the paper and walks off with a grin.

Another man walks into the light.

I am the Minister of Rogues and Assassins. And you have a talent that is most interesting to us.

The Geomancer
2007-05-12, 08:21 PM
Lemme guess, you want me to be a Rogue or Assassin?

Fenric
2007-05-12, 08:28 PM
The minister chuckles

While your speed would well befit the assassins, it takes more than speed to hit the mark. Your guilelessness would serve our followers poorly.

The pickpockets, however, could use a boost to swiftness of motion. I will uplift our current secretary to assistant minister, and make you the secretary of pickpockets; if you are interested.

The Geomancer
2007-05-12, 08:32 PM
You want me to be the secretary of pickpockets? I came here to run messages and guide travelers, not to help some good for nothing punks steal things. I could pick every pocket in existence and be back before you blinked. James is rather insulted.

Fenric
2007-05-12, 08:37 PM

And I could kill everyone that lives: that is not the point. The point is to teach your skill to those who care and can use it.

The "legitimate" uses of your ability can be counted on the fingers of a carp. So unless you want to be the Secretary of Instant Messaging in the Ministry of Technology, I suggest you take what you can get

The Geomancer
2007-05-12, 08:39 PM
I... Well..Hmm. What will my options be in this job? Is there room for advancement?

Fenric
2007-05-12, 08:48 PM

That depends rather on your ambition...

The Geomancer
2007-05-12, 08:51 PM
So, what exactly would I be doing to help out these little thieves?

Fenric
2007-05-12, 08:54 PM
The minister sighs and sits down. A ninja appears and gives him a cup of tea.

Do you actually have any idea whatsoever it is that a god actually does, or did you just see a bunch of powerful people claiming the title and want to be the same?

The Geomancer
2007-05-12, 08:59 PM
Well, I know what most gods do, answering prayers and all that. Its just that I don't know what I would be doing, because I can't answer prayers or change the world on a whim. Thats why I didn't apply as the God of the Weather or something like that.

Fenric
2007-05-12, 09:08 PM

You aren't a god yet. Once you are, you will be able to give your gift... well... a portion of your gift... to those who please you, and pray to you. There are some rules and restrictions of course.

The Geomancer
2007-05-12, 09:10 PM
Oh... He steals himself up for a last ditch effort. Does it have to be pickpockets then? My gift gives more to the legs then the hands. Messengers, Olympic runners, Horses- Have you got a god of horses yet?

Fenric
2007-05-12, 09:15 PM
The Minister of Rogues grimaces

You'll have to convince the emperor if you want to have a ministry of their favourite animal.

We can't stop the mortals from using them, but the emperor does not abide by them...

(( But his reaction makes it clear that they do not.

Since Rebonack is on... the Chinese C.B. had animals under Liu, the minister of Agriculture. The Japanese had them under the emperor himself. And I don't care. ))

The Geomancer
2007-05-12, 09:19 PM
Oh alright fiine. I'd love to be the secretary of pickpockets. James looks like he would rather shoot himself.

((Teehee, the Idea of a God who hates what he is God of tickles my funny bone.))

Fenric
2007-05-12, 09:26 PM
The minister grins

Welcome to the family, James.

James suddenly feels his awareness expanding, and he hears a multitude of voices begging for his aid: to escape the guards, to be able to eat tonight, to fend off the loan sharks and the mob enforcers. To help bail a father, a husband, a mother, a lover out of prison. To rescue a child from poverty, a family from sickness.

James suddenly realizes that this wasn't just promoting crime...

The Geomancer
2007-05-12, 09:33 PM
James closes his eyes, and then opens them again. The pleas for help tugging on his true neutral heart. He looks at the minister. How do I help them?

McBish
2007-05-12, 09:37 PM
((Great make a pickpocket god after my pickpocket goes straight. Bah.))

Fenric
2007-05-12, 09:43 PM
(( Can't help the timing, McBish. Oh... I set an assassin after Eric, too... *blush* ))

The minister looks at James

You lend them of your speed, as you can. Those who serve you, you help. Those who displease you, you punish.

Now: there are some rules

(( Basically, my god-characters follow the official RAW: only work through avatars, priests, or chosen. You can manifest directly only in your own temple, here, or on your proper outer plane. If you choose to ignore them, eventually the Ministry of Accounting will come to get you.

They're coming to get Fenric again soon, actually. He's been naughty of late. ))

McBish
2007-05-12, 09:45 PM
((You did, cool. Um I proably missed it being gone for the last couple of days or what not. Feel free to PM me if I need to know anything, or just have him show up.))

The Geomancer
2007-05-12, 09:47 PM
((But isn't Fenric an avatar of Inari? What makes up an Avatar in this Pantheon?)) EDIT: Dead time.

Fenric
2007-05-12, 10:06 PM
[Entirely OOC]

An avatar in general is a manifestation of a deity on the physical world. An avatar can only embody a portion of the overall power of the deity.

NOW: Fenric is an interesting case.

There are three types of gods:

1. Beings who were powerful enough in their own right to claim the title.
2. Lower beings who were empowered by an existing god.
3. Entities who came to exist because of the focused belief of worshippers.

"Inari" is type 3.

Anthropologically speaking, the primitive peoples living in coastal China had a number of different agricultural gods. At their last successful invasion of Japan, the pantheon they took there became mingled with the shinto spirit-worship and earlier buddhist beliefs that had become established there earlier.

This resulted in "Inari" becoming a strange amalgam of several different personalties. Some male, some female, and each representing a different facet of the ideals that ended up bundled together.

This is not in keeping with actual modern Inari worship, which since WWI (yeah one, not two) has returned [mostly] to its strict Shinto roots and rejected the "later" additions (which were still a very long time ago). As far as they are concerned, he/she (still ambiguous) is a greater kami of rice, who used foxes as messengers and helpers. It's still far from simple, of course... :smallbiggrin:

In keeping with that background, I play Inari as a "composite entity". The original primitive rice god was Dasiuke ("great help"). He created Inari when he became tired of doing everything himself, and brought in others to help him. (This is in keeping with RAW, "Complete Divine"). "Inari" is the summation of them all, and manifesting her means that all the others have to be suppressed on the plane for that time - which is why the principle avatar so rarely appears.

And I have to go too, now.

Raistlin1040
2007-05-12, 11:50 PM
Ekrath has been browsing a few of the papers as of late.
Wow. I'm not even registered here. Can I register myself or something? Fill out some paperwork? I'd like to be associated with our pantheon, but I'm not according to these files.

AmberVael
2007-05-12, 11:59 PM
...shocking mess left by that meddling idiotic minister of fate.
Aesa's voice becomes clearer as she stalks through the ministry.
Don't even know why I let myself get dragged into this.
She glances over at Ekrath.
And what are you doing here?

Raistlin1040
2007-05-13, 12:05 AM
Stuff it Aesa. I'm busy here.

AmberVael
2007-05-13, 12:13 AM
Yeah, and I'm not. Move.
Aesa sarcastically remarks as she shifts past him and opens up a file, drawing out a number of papers, flipping through them.
Didn't know that nonministry people were allowed access to any of this, anyways.

Raistlin1040
2007-05-13, 12:15 AM
Ekrath rolls his eyes.

AmberVael
2007-05-13, 12:17 AM
Look, if you're trying to get something done, I might be able to help you out. What are here for?
It'd get you out of my sight.
Aesa mutters under her breath.

Raistlin1040
2007-05-13, 12:38 AM
I'm not registered in any of the files.

AmberVael
2007-05-13, 12:41 AM
Uh huh. Well I don't suppose that is extraordinarily surprising, considering you aren't normally associated with the Bureaucracy in any way.
So you want to get on file, hm?

Raistlin1040
2007-05-13, 12:49 AM
That would be preferable, yes.

AmberVael
2007-05-13, 12:52 AM
Aesa looks at the one of the files, namely the one he was trying to get into, uses divination to learn a bit more about it, and then summons a very large stack of sheets and holds them out to Ekrath.
Fill these out.

Raistlin1040
2007-05-13, 12:56 AM
Ekrath grabs them and begins looking them over.
((What's on them?))

AmberVael
2007-05-13, 01:02 AM
((Name, precise time, place, and method you became a deity. What you are a deity of. What pantheon you are associated with, have you been accepted by said pantheon, number and location of worshippers/temples, level of worldly interference, powers, physical description, overdeity's verification, ministry verification, etc.))

Raistlin1040
2007-05-13, 01:15 AM
((...*dies*))
Ekrath begins filling it out

Name: Ekrath Wardric
Place: Wardric Manor
Method: Was "promoted" by Saito Jaishan
Diety of: Chivalry, Paladins, Honor, and Judgement
Pantheon: Town Pantheon
Acceptance: Limited
Number of Worsphippers: About 100
Temples: 1
Clerics: 3
Level of Interferance: Very High
Powers (I assume you mean divine abilities?): Divine Paladin, Alter Reality, Increased Spell Resistance, Gift of Life
Overdiety's Verification: Saito Jaishan
Ministry Verification: Pending
Ekrath hands the papers back to Aesa.

AmberVael
2007-05-13, 01:19 AM
Aesa nods and then adds her own signature for the ministry verification, signing it as Minister of Fundamental Energies.

Raistlin1040
2007-05-13, 01:23 AM
So I'm not allowed to manifest myself in the material plane? Why not?

AmberVael
2007-05-13, 01:27 AM
You're not part of the Bureaucracy, we're merely keeping a record of your existance.
We have no say over how you do things.

Raistlin1040
2007-05-13, 01:29 AM
Ekrath smiles.
Just the way I like it.
He teleports out.

AmberVael
2007-05-13, 01:32 AM
Aesa rolls her eyes and remarks to no one in particular.
I'm just glad that I'm a Fate and not a deity, and therefore don't have to follow the same rules.
She continues her checking of documents, then goes back to the office area she has set up.

Shadow of the Sun
2007-05-13, 01:37 AM
((I don't know if i should have Alastor or Sunn pop in- neither are technically deities, although they are close. Bit of a puzzle, it is.))

AmberVael
2007-05-13, 01:38 AM
((This isn't the Town Bureaucracy, it is the celestial bureaucracy of Fenric's pantheon.
Aesa is only involved via an amusing set of circumstances where they practically stole her and placed her into their ranks))

Shadow of the Sun
2007-05-13, 01:39 AM
((I meant more so that Alastor could be a prick, and so that Sunn could visit Aesa from time to time. I just don't want either of them press-ganged.))

AmberVael
2007-05-13, 01:41 AM
((Aesa is rarely here anyways. Sunn would be better off checking out her plane.
Which you should feel free to do.

And no, I'm not saying that because I'm bored.
Nope. Not at all.
>.>))

Shadow of the Sun
2007-05-13, 01:46 AM
((I bow before thee, oh master of subtle hinting. I'll have her pop in sometime. But she is currently engaged. In other news, I'm thinking up a plot event, because although I'm not bored I do happen to have a lot of thought cycles not devoted to anything in particular right now.))

Raistlin1040
2007-05-13, 01:50 AM
(*Snaps finger* Got it! A Vampire Monk! Genius! Vael, break out the Inkscape! SotS, start writing an epic song about him! I'll go add him to my odd character set. He'll fit in with the drow/elf paladin and Birdman wizard))

AmberVael
2007-05-13, 01:53 AM
((Hey, I've got a great idea! How about I don't?))

Raistlin1040
2007-05-13, 01:55 AM
((*laughs* Oh but you will. You see, when you make me an avatar, I steal a bit of your soul. Make 2 or more and I get more. You don't want to end up like Abardam, without a soul working in an avatar sweatshop in...how about Tokyo?))

Shadow of the Sun
2007-05-13, 01:55 AM
((Sorry, epic songs have been delayed. Because monk and epic don't fit together.))

AmberVael
2007-05-13, 01:57 AM
((Wait, what was that? You don't want any more avatars from me? Okay, can do))

Shadow of the Sun
2007-05-13, 01:59 AM
((That also has the assumption of Vael having a soul and or caring about it in the first place. He is the evilist Playgrounder.))

Raistlin1040
2007-05-13, 02:02 AM
(([robot voice]You are disposable. I have many others who will give me what I seek[/robot voice]))

AmberVael
2007-05-13, 02:04 AM
((Ehvoops. I zink I broke somefink. Oh vell, it vas cheap anyvays.
Oh, it vas a link. To an avitar. How unfortuneet))

Raistlin1040
2007-05-13, 02:04 AM
((*twitches*))

Shadow of the Sun
2007-05-13, 02:06 AM
((The sheer suck of monks is putting me out of key due to the Doppler effect...guess that means no epic song.))

AmberVael
2007-05-13, 02:08 AM
((Oh vait. Here et ees!))

Raistlin1040
2007-05-13, 02:09 AM
((I know this is a referance I'm supposed to get, but my mind is drawing a blank.))

AmberVael
2007-05-13, 02:11 AM
((Hoh dear. Et appears zat Chezz hess gone feeshing. Oh vell. Ve vill see heem later, you zink?))

Raistlin1040
2007-05-13, 02:12 AM
((*twitches* again))

Shadow of the Sun
2007-05-13, 02:14 AM
((Keep going and eventually we can attach sponges to his feet and use him as a floor buffer!))

AmberVael
2007-05-13, 02:25 AM
((Vait, vait, I zink I see heem coming back))

Raistlin1040
2007-05-13, 02:26 AM
((*Chazz comes back* OK I'm here. What do you want?))

Shadow of the Sun
2007-05-13, 02:27 AM
((Perhaps for you too look at Chazz?))

AmberVael
2007-05-13, 02:27 AM
((Oh. Zere he ees. He zeems to haf gone emo vhile he vas gone. Oh vell))

Raistlin1040
2007-05-13, 02:29 AM
((Chazz glares at Vael. I'm not emo. He is. *points at Raistlin* Raistlin flips his hair off to one side. "Life is one big black room. Sucking you in and stealing your soul"))

AmberVael
2007-05-13, 02:30 AM
((...ve suddenly zink zis avitar is appropriate))

Shadow of the Sun
2007-05-13, 02:30 AM
((You're so conformist! It used to be about the faux depression and cutting yourself! *runs off sobbing*))

Raistlin1040
2007-05-13, 02:31 AM
(("Look at SotS. He's off bawling like a baby to his parentals. What a conformist."))

Shadow of the Sun
2007-05-13, 02:33 AM
((Actually, I was getting my leather trenchcoat and Judas Priest records. The Knight of Metal proclaims a duel *glove slap*!))

AmberVael
2007-05-13, 02:33 AM
((uses... transferal...of... traits... *looks up* vell, vhat else vould you like to seh?))

Raistlin1040
2007-05-13, 02:35 AM
(("How about: Pain: Let it wash over you, engulfing your mind and ensnaring your soul?"))

AmberVael
2007-05-13, 02:36 AM
((possessed... by... emo... spirits
I see, I see. Vell, I haf zis little jacket for you. Et ees nice and vhite, and fets quite tightly. See?))

Shadow of the Sun
2007-05-13, 02:38 AM
((Hah! *plays Graveworm until your ears bleed* Suck in that!))

Raistlin1040
2007-05-13, 02:38 AM
(("White? White is for all the Britney and Justin-Wannabe conformists. All the non-conformists wear black."))

AmberVael
2007-05-13, 02:39 AM
((*puts the straight jacket on Raistlin and has the men in white labcoats take him away*))

Shadow of the Sun
2007-05-13, 02:41 AM
((Become non-conformist! All the cool kids are doing it!))

Raistlin1040
2007-05-13, 02:43 AM
((Exactly. Now where is my Avatah?))

Shadow of the Sun
2007-05-13, 02:43 AM
((This one fits better than the old one.))

AmberVael
2007-05-13, 02:44 AM
((Definitely. There is your avatar))

Shadow of the Sun
2007-05-13, 02:45 AM
((A winged vampire monk? GENIUS! AHAHAHAHAHA!!!))

AmberVael
2007-05-13, 02:46 AM
((No, a winged emo doppelganger vampire matrix monk! :smallbiggrin: ))

Raistlin1040
((*Sighs* "You don't remember what it was like to be my age! You don't understand me! I hate you!"))

edit:((*Dies of laughter*))

Shadow of the Sun
((I think I'm younger than you.))

Raistlin1040
2007-05-13, 02:49 AM
((No way))

Shadow of the Sun
2007-05-13, 02:50 AM
((December 1991, beetch. So I'm a few months older, but not by much.))

Fenric
2007-05-13, 08:53 AM
(( So where exactly did you stick Ekrath, Aesa? ))

Raistlin1040
2007-05-13, 12:02 PM
((I could get used to this avatar.))

AmberVael
2007-05-13, 12:04 PM
((Huh? Oh, she just filed a paper of his existance, nothing more.
He's not part of the Bureaucracy))

The Geomancer
2007-05-13, 02:35 PM
James, God of Pickpockets, ((Because Secretary is unflattering.)) is looking for someone who he can see about getting a office in the C.B.

Fenric
2007-05-13, 02:38 PM
James finds the office manager's office. There, he gets to fill in more forms, before an office appears in his minister's area with his name on a plaque on the door.

The Geomancer
2007-05-13, 02:42 PM
Oooh, a plaque! James quickly sets to work at filling his office with interesting furniture. About a minute later his office is filled with pieces from so many different areas that it is sort of confusing. He sits down in a giant bean bag chair and puts his feet on the desk. Comfortable.

Fenric
2007-05-14, 10:28 AM
Things are a little busy in the imperial suite: His serene excellancy is not serene right now.

A group of dwarven gods are in the throne room, hotly contesting that they did not send an assassin to kill Aesa.

The Minister of the Left is impatiently pacing, waiting for the emperor to get done with playing politics so his Senior Minister can be restored

The Minister of War glowers in the background, eager for a chance at a celestial war.

The Emperor sits on his throne and lets them agitate for nearly half an hour, before rising.

The room goes utterly silent.

First, we shall show that we do not allow our servants to be killed without our countenance upon the act

The jade emperor raises his hand, and incredible power begins to swell. Taking little bits of energy from everywhere, drawing even upon strange energies from beyond the normal world, the lord and creator of several universes attempts to re-create Aesa. The shattered and scattered fragments of her soul are gathered from their drifting on the astral plane as he seeks to reassemble her. Of course, not being a Norse god, it remains to be seen exactly what Aesa ends up being afterwards...

AmberVael
2007-05-14, 11:03 AM
Aesa whirls back into existance, though the Emporer may experience minor problems with binary pickles and power doors due to the fact that the wild energy got ahold of part of her.
But it is probably easy enough for him to sort out, one way or another.
Aesa, however, seems to have lost whatever minor connection to the Norse pantheon she had left. Which honestly wasn't too much, considering everything she did.

Fenric
2007-05-14, 11:08 AM
The Minister of the Left considers a true pickle that appeared in his hand.

Welcome back, Aesa.

The emperor nods, then turns to the Minister of War

In no case will your services be required. You are dismissed.

The minster grouchily bows and exits. The door slides aside by itself and assures him that it is a great pleasure to open for him. He glares death at the door, which doesn't seem to help: the door merely explains how much it enjoys closing behind him.

The dwarves look at each other, at Aesa, at the Emperor, and generally look like they would really rather be doing something else.

AmberVael
2007-05-14, 11:13 AM
Aesa frowns, her eyes narrowing, but then gives a very small bow and respectful nod to the emperor.
Thank you, Emperor.
She nods to the Minister of the Left as well.

Fenric
2007-05-14, 11:20 AM
The Minster crunches on the pickle.

Not bad

The Emperor sits back down and looks at the dwarves.

Now.

It appears that your god is innocent of planning this action, though he did not take proper care to place restraints on the results of his work. Therefore we shall only consider your part of the matter resolved if you drop any claims of payment for the services he rendered. Additionally, should Aesa require anything of you to restore her ruined domain, you shall supply it without renumeration.

The dwarves grumble most agitatedly about this.

The Minister of the Right looks at them sternly

Unless you would rather be declared accessories to an assassination?

The dwarves grumbling reduces to a disgruntled mumbling.

Does anyone else have anything to add?

AmberVael
2007-05-14, 11:27 AM
Emperor, if I might be so bold...
Aesa smirks.
Of course she would be so bold- that is who she is.
Refuge, Ruin and Maph'tey are now quite a threat to the people of Town due to certain mistakes that I- and possibly the dwarves, have made.
As such, I believe we may need to protect our own. Perhaps the temple of Inari, and a few other places should be kept under the defense of those with more martial talent while we attempt to rectify the situation?

Fenric
2007-05-14, 11:44 AM
The Emperor nods

Your suggestion has merit. Izanagi, Izanami: whom among your people can handle the likes of this group?

The Ministers of the Left and Right frown

Your excellancy... I believe that only Raiden is of similar capabilities to Aesa. Unless I am to go myself, there is no one who poses a credible threat to these creatures.

Hachiman, the Minster of War, the Minister of Godhood, and the Minister of Law may be able to deal with them. I am, of course, yours to command, your excellancy.

Izanagi fidgets a bit, not wishing to look less powerful than his wife

You could request mother's aid. She doesn't like destructive things from outside.

The Emperor nods

True. Aesa, as one who has faced our adversaries: are these sufficient, or would you recommend further assistance? As Izanagi says, mother Ameratsu may be willing to aid us.

AmberVael
2007-05-14, 11:47 AM
Aesa nods.
They will be sufficient. There are people within the Town whose aid I can call on as well, so we will not be alone in our efforts.

Fenric
2007-05-14, 11:49 AM
The emperor nods

So be it: You will gather those you have named and dispatch avatars to the Town at once.

The Ministers bow deeply and head to their respective wings of the palace.

AmberVael
2007-05-14, 11:50 AM
Aesa bows as well, heading off to her own place.
She'd keep a duplicate here for now, just because it might be helpful.

Fenric
2007-05-14, 12:01 PM
Izanagi goes through his ministry, and is mobbed by the gods there. Rumors fly quickly in the celestial palace, and everyone wants a chance.

The cannabilistic god of storms can hardly believe that he is going to be allowed on the material world.

You are going there to protect the people, Raiden: not eat them. I also will be there, so keep your appetite in check.

When the Minister of Natural Disasters protests his ability to help, Izanagi looks at him crossly.

Help which side, though? We want to protect the Town, not flatten it. At least Raiden can unleash violence without necessarily destroying quite everything.

The Minister of Nature herself smiles

What if I find these invaders from the outside offensive, Izanagi?

At this, his eyes go wide.

I certainly cannot deny you, mother of life, should you wish to accompany us.

She smiles

I shall visit my granddaughter's temple in that place, then. I understand that Myobi is most proud of her garden.

Izanagi bows.

Things are scarcely less chaotic for the generally orderly Ministry of the Right.

The Ministers of Justice, War, Godhood, and Law are, of course, tickled.

The Ministers of Magic, Cities, and Learning are not so pleased to be left behind.

Izanami glowers at her unruly subordinates

This is not open to discussion. I am taking these, and no others! Return to your work.

The group finally assembles in the courtyard near the well that is also a portal to the material world.

The Geomancer
2007-05-14, 04:56 PM
James is napping in his office, quite unaware of any activities or danger. He practiced creating an avatar of himself earlier and was most unsuccessful. He then discovered that the best, and really only way to leave a less powerful form of himself in the mortal worlds was to continuously run back and form between here and there, at such speeds that it appears there are two of them. That is what he is doing now, although no one could possibly sense it.

Fenric
2007-05-14, 07:17 PM
(( LOL. that's great ))

The Geomancer
2007-05-14, 07:19 PM
((It seemed like a good way to get past to whole 'no magic' thing. Of course speed like this means he has to be a pacifist. Any fight he enters would be automatic god modding on my part.))

James lets out a particularly loud snore.

Fenric
2007-05-16, 10:38 AM
The emperor is not particularly happy right now...

Mostly because he is essentially a mortal.

You see, Limos' teasing was basically true: he was just an emperor who happened to get venerated in the right way at the right time. When the whole bureaucratic idea went to the new land, he managed to ingratiate himself with the top spirit and keep his job.

Except something just happened to her, and his fortunes went along for the ride. Worse yet: a distinctly hostile shadowy something seems to be lurking around his end of the palace.

The Geomancer
2007-05-16, 02:27 PM
Although James has gained new insight and respect for the lives of pickpockets, he is still looking for a little job advancement. As such he decides its high time he got friendly with the higher ups. He walks towards the emperor's side of the palace very slowly, because you never know what gods can sense, and they might not appreciate him rushing in.

Fenric
2007-05-16, 02:46 PM
The emperor doesn't sense a whole lot beyond what any random person in a great huge robe might sense. Mostly "dang, but it's hot in here".

There is currently a lot of turmoil in the halls, however, as two factions are sorting out. One, more loyal to the old lands, wants to run help. The other, more loyal to their old customs, thinks that perhaps letting the bureaucracy go away isn't such a bad idea. They aren't quite coming to fistfights in the halls... yet...

The Geomancer
2007-05-16, 02:55 PM
James overhears a particularly heated argument in which "getting rid of the Bureaucracy" was said. A political shake up? There is bound to be a huge scandal! Higher ups will get fired, and lower downs will get promoted. Now I just have to figure out which side is going to win and give them my loyalty.

Fenric
2007-05-16, 03:04 PM
It is not obvious from the talk in the halls which side is more prevalent. It is likely that James-in-Town has heard rumors of Limos. Of course, that makes it look rather like neither side will be around much longer. However, if general disruption were to get rid of a side, it would be tilted toward removing the entrenched Bureaucratic gridlock.

The emperor finally convinces the celestials to give him some food and water. After a belated and insufficient dinner, he looks around with a worried expression: there don't seem to be any restroom facilities in the celestial palace.

The Geomancer
2007-05-16, 03:10 PM
((What is it that caused the shake up anyways?))

James listens around, trying to determine the leaders of both camps.

Fenric
2007-05-16, 03:23 PM
(( The short answer: Limos killed Ameratsu.

The long answer: That kinda screws things up for the entire pantheon... Keep in mind the folklore lectures from a few pages back: the bureaucracy is an artifical overlaying of imported ideas on top of a pre-existing pantheon. That forced mingling is coming unravelled now that there's no powerful force holding it together. I'll have to get around to dealing with why Ameratsu allowed that a bit later... In RL, the change happened as a result of politics starting around 1890. ))

The heads are, rather unsurprisingly, the Minister of Government, favoring retention of the bureaucracy, and the Minister of Nature (who only sent an avatar to the Town) who favours eliminating it and returning to the traditional ways.

The Geomancer
2007-05-16, 03:30 PM
((I got the short answer, but the long answer confused me. Are you saying that you are causing the IC politics of the C.B. to mirror what is actually going on with the Japanese belief system?))

Deciding to feel out the different camps, James heads over to the wing of the palace housing the Minister of Nature.

Fenric
2007-05-16, 03:37 PM
(( Not exactly... In 1890, they went about removing the chinese court influences, theoretically in attempt to go back to the "good old days" of the early 1200's. I was thinking of experimenting with following through with that theory, ignoring what actually happened. ))

Many celestial folk are bustling around, accomplishing essentially nothing.

The Geomancer
2007-05-16, 03:40 PM
James looks around for someone in charge. Hopefully the Minister of Nature herself.

Fenric
2007-05-16, 03:50 PM
After a few awkward questions, he is finally directed to the woman, who seems to have taken over Izanagi's office for the moment.

Can I help you?

The Geomancer
2007-05-16, 03:57 PM
Hello, I'm the Secretary of Pickpockets, and I was wondering if there is someone I could talk to about the current political unrest.

Fenric
2007-05-16, 04:02 PM
She looks at James seriously

What did you want to know?

The Geomancer
2007-05-16, 04:08 PM
What does the Minister intend to set up to replace the Bureaucracy? Many gods, including myself, have had their powers granted by the Bureaucracy, and might lose them if its files and systems fall into chaos.

Fenric
2007-05-16, 04:15 PM
She shakes her head

We will still remain, and our roles will be unchanged. We merely seek to eliminate this ridiculous notion that we should somehow mimic the royal court of a bunch of mortals! It is foolish, aggrevating, and an utter waste of time. Do we have so little to do that we need to hold staff meetings? It is not like we cooperate any better because of this structure. Your power came to you through your sponsor, not the artifical structure of the bureaucracy.

(( And deadtime here, too ))

The Geomancer
2007-05-16, 05:18 PM
How do you plan to convince the others? Would you go so far as to cause a war to see the end of Bureaucracy?

Fenric
2007-05-16, 07:04 PM
She shakes her head

There will be no need... the other faction has voted to go to the Town and fight the intruder. There soon will be no opposing viewpoint.

The Geomancer
2007-05-16, 07:07 PM
Will you set up any form of organization in the Bureaucracy's place? Or just let things happen willy nilly? As long as the woman seems content with answering questions, James was going to keep firing them off, until he had a full understanding of the situation,

Fenric
2007-05-16, 07:14 PM
She sighs

The organization is not to blame, and will not change. With one exception, we are all in the relative positions that we would have been without the silly titles.

We're just tired of the useless formality and rule-mongering. If one of us does happen to become more powerful, why should we need someone's permission to claim it?

The Geomancer
2007-05-16, 07:17 PM
So in the new organization personal strength isn't limited? But you will still have Ministers and Secretaries and an Emperor?

Fenric
2007-05-16, 07:24 PM
(( AAAAAAHHHH! Management reorg! Head for the hills! ))

She chuckles

We will still have superior and subordinate gods. We will no longer be forced to "report" to someone just for the sake of doing it, however. The silly and arbitrary divisions will be sorted back out by function and compatibility.

As to the other... you have mentioned the "one". Why the entire pantheon has to answer to a trumped-up human has always baffled most of us.

The Geomancer
2007-05-16, 07:38 PM
But who would decide who is superior and who is subordinate? This has been what James has been trying to get at this whole time.

Fenric
2007-05-16, 07:39 PM
She blinks

Your level of power and ability, of course, as it should be.

The Geomancer
2007-05-16, 07:42 PM
So what if I wanted to move to a different position within the Bureaucracy? Who would I go to in this future Bureaucracy? Hypothetically of course.

Fenric
2007-05-16, 07:46 PM
She arches an eyebrow

If you think someone should be subordinate to you, you would have to prove it to them. If you feel you have the ability to claim something that someone else hasn't already, then you just claim it.

I'm not entirely sure why you feel you need justification for a position. If you need sponsorship, go to the person you want directly. Why should you have to fill out a bunch of forms just to do that anyway in the end?

The Geomancer
2007-05-16, 07:56 PM
You are clearing all the clutter out of the system. I see that when the time comes, I will be standing on your side of the line. James smiles charismatically.

Fenric
2007-05-16, 08:03 PM
She smiles at him

I am quite glad to hear that.

The Geomancer
2007-05-16, 08:06 PM
So! What needs doing? James asks, eager to prove his usefulness.

Fenric
2007-05-16, 08:09 PM
She sighs

Right now, we have to scurry a bit to take care of the duties of those who are preoccupied. This whole thing is making a lot of extra work

A shockwave ripples through the building, and all the gods feel the death of Susa-no-o. Shouting can be heard from the Wing of the Right.

Oh dear...

The Geomancer
2007-05-16, 08:12 PM
What was that?

Fenric
2007-05-16, 08:13 PM
She looks sad

The evil being has destroyed Susa-no-o. The other faction is about to launch their futile attacks.

The Geomancer
2007-05-16, 08:17 PM
But he is a god! Isn't he an Immortal?

Fenric
2007-05-16, 08:25 PM
She looks at James

Only comparatively. People have a rather mistaken idea of how that works.

The Geomancer
2007-05-16, 08:35 PM
Well... being an immortal myself I thought I had a pretty good idea. I guess I haven't ever been dealt a killing blow.

Fenric
2007-05-16, 08:44 PM
She smiles sadly

There is a vast gulf between "undying" and truly immortal

The Geomancer
2007-05-16, 08:44 PM
Care to fill me in?

Fenric
2007-05-16, 08:55 PM
She shrugs

A god is undying - they never die. They do not age, they do not weary, they do not 'wear out'.

Immortal implies that you absolutely cannot be destroyed. This is not the case with us: we can be destroyed. It takes a great deal of effort, and is beyond the capability of lesser beings, but it can be done.

To the best of our knowledge... there is no such thing.

The Geomancer
2007-05-18, 01:57 PM
I wonder if I am just undying, or if I am immortal? I didn't know there was a difference, and I know I don't want to find out. James gets back to his original personal advancement mindset. So if I God dies, who takes his place? I assume you don't leave the position open.

Fenric
2007-05-20, 10:30 PM
The minister nods

Generally...

Then she pauses as an unmistakable ripple of energy moves through the plane.

In the past, when it still existed, the bureaucracy would assign someone to fill the vacancy.

Now, if there is no one already waiting to take the position, the nearest concerned parties will seek out candidates.

She stands

If you would excuse me... there is work to attend to.

And then she leaves.

Raistlin1040
2007-05-20, 11:04 PM
An elf with wings and long black hair pops in.
"Hello? I need to speak to someone here. Hello?"

Fenric
2007-05-21, 09:15 AM
Things are a bit chaotic, with the death of right around half of the gods of the bureaucracy all at once. No one really pays any attention to the elf.

Raistlin1040
2007-05-21, 12:38 PM
"Damn it"

The Geomancer
2007-05-21, 01:36 PM
James appears next to her. Whats kickin' chicken?

Raistlin1040
2007-05-21, 07:42 PM
"Lord Ekrath has heard rumors about something bad happening here. He sent me to find out what was going on and to extend his aid."

Fenric
2007-05-21, 07:47 PM
A harried functionary in the red and gold robes indicative of the Ministry of the Right shouts at the man in passing:

Bad hardly begins to describe it: we have lost the majority of our ministers, and the Left is ursuping the pantheon! Lady Izanami is here, but she doesn't seem to care!

A smoewhat more confident celestial, in the quiet blues and greys of the Ministry of the Left, chuckles

They are distraught to see their beloved bureaucracy give way to a more efficient and effective structure. Many of their former-ministers will be recovered as soon as we can manage. Some few will be mourned fittingly instead.

Raistlin1040
2007-05-21, 07:56 PM
"What would you like Lord Ekrath to do?"

Fenric
2007-05-21, 08:01 PM
Everyone whispers a name, fearfully

Limos
Limos, the god-slayer
Limos, destroyer of universes

Fenric
2007-05-23, 02:02 PM
Daisuke appears in the celestial temple of Inari

The children are doing their best to cause trouble, Liu

The aforementioned avatar steps out from a side room

I told you foxes were trouble.

Daisuke shrugs

They keep things interesting. Regardless: we may have to help soon.

The Geomancer
2007-05-24, 02:19 PM
((Yay, Daisuke.))
James has returned to his office, and is taking a little nap. To be more accurate his running back and force between taking a nap and patrolling the palace, looking for a chance to curry favor with a powerful Minister.

Fenric
2007-05-24, 03:02 PM
A murmur runs through the palace like wildfire

Ameratsu!

The mother of the gods herself walks down the empty corridor of the Ministry of the Right, toward the throne room. It looks like things may not come down to politics after all...

Tune in... next Tuesday...

(( sorry... ))

The Geomancer
2007-05-24, 03:04 PM
((Memorial weekend plans?))

James stops running as he sees Ameratsu. She definitely seemed like a person who was used to getting here way, a person with power.

Fenric
2007-05-24, 03:11 PM
(( That's right. Very unlikely I'll be online at all, not even PM. ))

The Geomancer
2007-05-24, 03:18 PM
((I hope you have a good time then))

Fenric
2007-05-30, 07:57 PM
Ameratsu strides into the throne room

Move.

The startled emperor scuttles sideways out of the throne like a crab, landing heavily on the floor.

It is distressing that you would take advantage of such an unpleasant situation to fight among yourselves.

She turns to the Ministry of the Left

I deny your hopes: the bureaucracy will remain. I hallowed it for a reason, which you have exemplified quite nicely. Without restraint, your chaotic natures will tear the entire pantheon apart.

She then turns to the chuckling members of the recently-resurrected Ministry of the Right

And you have piled so many useless rules up that the pantheon has become stagnant and frankly borders on useless. I deny your hope as well: most of your rules have to go.

Ameratsu sits quietly as her children protest vociferously, waiting.

Raistlin1040
2007-05-30, 07:59 PM
A dark-skinned elf appears.
"We regret to inform you that...that lord E-ekrath is no longer with us."

The Geomancer
2007-05-30, 08:04 PM
James who had manuevered himself into the throne room on the side of the Ministry of the Left, uses his imperceptible speed to seperate himself from both groups. Perhaps this Ameratsu will think that he avoided the petty squabbles and honor him for it.

Fenric
2007-05-30, 08:11 PM
Ameratsu stands, and the room goes silent

We sympathize with your loss regarding Ekrath.

She looks around

I was not soliciting opinions, and am not interested in a discussion.

Even as she speaks, the emperor regains his divine power.

You have work to do, and places to find. Get back to work!

She disappears, and the crowd slowly disperses.

Raistlin1040
2007-05-30, 08:13 PM
The elf nods.
"Just-just thought you should kn-know."
She sniffs and teleports out.

The Geomancer
2007-05-30, 08:29 PM
James sweeps the throne room briefly, wondering if Ameratsu had just wandered into the crowd. When it becomes apparent she had just plain left, he slows down and tries to overhear some conversation.