PDA

View Full Version : JBarca's Red Hand of Doom Group 2 IC

Pages : [1] 2

JBarca
2014-12-01, 02:26 PM
THE RED HAND OF DOOM

Having met up with each other in a small tavern in Dennovar, you spend a day or two catching up, enjoying the company of a long-missed friend. Before too long, you, like any rivals, decide to spar for a bit. “A bit” turns into “an hour,” turns into “the day.” You gather quite the crowd enjoying the show. Between rounds, you’re approached by many individuals congratulating you on your skill. At the end of the day, a man wearing the garb of a page approaches and announces that word of your skill at arms has reached High Councilor Thorn and that he would like to speak with you. When pressed, the page confides that there have been a series of odd kidnappings and murders in the north and that Thorn is putting together a small scouting force to discover the source of the problems, and is likely going to pay well. Very well.
Deciding that such an opportunity to spend time with your companion, defend the innocent, and earn a keep is too good to pass, you make your way to the councilor Chambers.

While searching for a guide in Dennovar, you hear word of an expedition to the north to discover the cause of a number of strange disappearances and murders in the small village of Elsircross. High Councilor Thorn is organizing a small force to investigate. Recognizing that Eslircross is a likely path to reach Rhest, and that many caravans pass through the village too and from the north, you decide to visit the Councilor and see about accompanying the journey.

In Dennovar, you come across posters requesting aid in the form of a band of adventurers. Evidently, there have been some issues in the north, in the village of Elsircross, and a small group of individuals is needed to scout out the problem. Seeing this as an opportunity to explore part of the Vale and gain potential allies in a likely confrontation with your brother, you seek out High Councilor Thorn, the man organizing the trip.

Your travels through the Vale have left you in Dennovar for now. While spending time in the poorer districts, providing what aid you can, you receive word that a nobleman of some sort is interested in your talents. The messenger that informed you of this explains that some people have gone missing or been found murdered in the north, and that a small force of scouts and aids was being organized to figure out the problem. High Councilor Thorn, the nobleman behind the force, has requested your presence on the trip. Deciding that you might as well help where you’re most needed, you head to the Council Chambers.

When you all arrive at the councilor’s chambers for your own reasons, you are ushered into a smaller office by a mouselike elderly woman who smiles and nods at any questions or comments directed towards her. Along the way, you see a number of fine hallways, decorated with curtains, pillars, paintings, statues, and mosaics. There is more wealth present here than most of you have ever seen. Solid wooden doors are visible every 15 feet or so. Most are closed, though the few that are open reveal offices, kitchens, dining areas, conference rooms, and sitting rooms, all resplendent with silks, precious metals, and valuable stones.

A few of the open rooms contain individuals, most of whom ignore your presence entirely. A few, though, gape openly at Talon or Lo-Kag, and one promptly slams his door shut when he notices the party.

After one final turn, you find yourselves in a small, plain room with no decoration. A darkwood desk piled high with parchment and books dominates the office. A glowing rod of some sort hangs from the ceiling and a heavy-set human man sits behind the desk. His dark hair grays at the temples and his goatee is neatly trimmed. He is wearing fine, if simple, clothes and writing a long line of numbers of a sheet of paper as you enter.

He looks up, fixes each of you with his cold blue eyes, and mumbles a single syllable. “What?”

redzimmer
2014-12-01, 03:44 PM
Feodore

Shaking the droplets of sweat from his shaggy rust-colored mane, Feodore can't help but grin.

"Always too fast for me, Elysia," he chuckles. While he wouldn't admit it freely (or sober), he always was a bit daunted by his old friend's speed. He'd have to hone the burrs out of his blades tonight to be sure.

Somewhat composed after their little catch-up match, Feo acknowledges the page's summons. It's one thing to be hired by your skill at arms, it is another thing to do it looking like a half-goblin.

Now after making himself presentable, he and Elysia stand in front of someone who must be this vaunted Lord Thorn. A rather motley crew stands with the old friends. Another elf, likely a wizard by his bearing, and a big fellow.

Maybe half-ogre? Do they range this far south?

The other one... not too sure what it might be.

Knowledge Arcana [roll0]

Regardless, the muscular halfling bows to the man at the desk.

"Feodore Stillhawk, m'lord, at your service. I have been told you seek a scouting party to investigate strange goings-on."

theterran
2014-12-01, 04:11 PM
Lo-Kag sighs inwardly as he's led through the halls of the councilor's chambers. He'd never get used to the initial reaction people have when seeing him, and while these reactions were somewhat mitigated from what he'd experienced in the past, they bothered him no less. As one person slammed the door, he flinches slightly as he continues on.

As he often does in situations where people stare at him as if he's a freak, he reflects inwardly, and attempts to see things from their perspective.
...it must be difficult for them... he thinks as he attempts to empathize. Standing a good one and a half to two feet taller than most everyone else in the Vale, he thinks he can understand, and his marble-like skin, ...that must really bother them to be so plain skinned... he postulates. ...still...that's why I wear this tunic...mostly... he thinks while glancing down at his white tunic, which has the sigil of Heironeous emblazoned on the front.

As he continued walking, he rubbed the top of his head. Briefly, he considered his bald head, but then dismisses it as many in the Vale are bald. Mid thought, he finds himself in front of a heavy set man who seems off put by the notion of having to speak to him, or the others that have seemed to gather.

Lo-Kag frowns, as if searching for the right words, not being used to having to deal with nobility, or really understanding the concept entirely at all.

Paying attention to the extremely short, if muscular man, Lo-Kag attempts to copy his mannerisms.

Bowing to the man behind the desk, Lo-Kag speaks, if slightly awkwardly.

"I am Lo-Kag....m'lord" he says, stumbling over the m'lord. "I am looking for a High Councilor Thorn, as he says my aid is needed in the north" says Lo-Kag, bowing slightly again.

Logain Ablar
2014-12-01, 04:25 PM
Elysia

Elysia rolls her shoulder grinning. She won't admit it in front of others, but that match had really tested her, and Feodore landed more than a couple of good blows. It was the best fight she'd had in a long time.

"I have to be fast, Feodore. How else do I keep up with both of your blades when I've only one?"

Elysia tosses her head to get her black hair out of her face. It had a tendency to do that ever since she cut it short. She was going to have to find something to do about that.

"and such a charming human" she mutters to her friend sarcastically in halfling. Then she bows with a flourish, using her left hand to manage the long exotic blade on her hip and continues speaking in common

"and I am Elysia Wind-Dancer. I do not know about these others, but I believe you summoned us, so the question of what is one you must answer."

razorback
2014-12-01, 06:16 PM
The tall elf, silver hair falling over his brown (and more than a little travel stained) cloak as he follows the others through the various passageways, taking mental notes of some of the items that catch his attention, trying not to jostle his longbow on his back too much. His pack, as travel worn as he is and looking full to the brim, he leans up against the wall in the cramped room as they wait for the man to look up. His amber eyes look around the the others assembled, take note of their demeanor, dress, stance, and equipment as he files it away mentally, slightly mumbling to himself during the process. He shifts slightly to keep his rapier's scabbard from hitting anyone as everyone else files in and the elderly human woman leaves.
Valhandele smiles slightly as the other two pipe in, secretive and too himself.
"Valhandele Rillefea i Taure Sinde of the Gaermound-i-Alkarinqa'ara, at your service." he says with a bit of a bow, knowing the humans were taken by that sort of thing. As he stand he continues with
"Or, as some other humans prefer, I go by 'Val' in your lands. As has been said, we have been summoned. As I was travelling in the direction of Eslircross when I heard of your plight, and having some experience with bandits and no small skill in the arcane arts, I thought my skills and talents could be of some service. I am sure we can come to some arrangement the is equitable for all parties." With that he bowed again, this time his pack scrapping across the back wall slightly, as he waited for a response.

Dexam
2014-12-02, 02:28 AM
Talon

The stares that Talon receives as it strides down the corridor affect it about as much as rain falling on a mountain. Talon has come to learn that Warforged are rare indeed on this side of the Wildlands, and knows now that its six-and-half foot tall, broadly sculpted body was designed by Master to be imposing.

The shining silver mithral plates that cover its body chime gently as they brush against the walls; its bare, two-toed feet ringing out a gentle cadence as it walks. Talon carries no weapons, and little gear; just a few articles and accessories clearly chosen for practicality rather than aesthetics. Standing at rest, the construct had more than once been mistaken for a suit of armour. Closer inspection would show two green-glowing eyes studying back from a near-featureless face; and when it moves, strange black cord-like bands of artificial muscle can be seen in the gaps between the mithral plates. The only feature that truly marks Talon with any form of identity is a strange spiral arcane glyph etched into its otherwise smooth forehead.

If the opulence of the Council Chambers has any impact on the construct, it's impossible to tell behind that expressionless facade. That same blank expression is presented to each person in the chamber in turn, before finally coming to rest on the Councillor.

"You are the individual High Councillor Thorn," Talon states rather than asks in a surprisingly soft baritone that is neither masculine or feminine. "You require other individuals to investigate issues in the village designated Elsircross. I will be one of the individuals to perform this required task, in exchange for mutually agreed upon recompense in the form of goods, services, or mediums of currency that I deem to be acceptable. If you are not the individual High Councillor Thorn, you will direct me to the individual High Councillor Thorn."

The construct falls silent for two or three seconds.

"Please."

theterran
2014-12-02, 12:37 PM
Lo-Kag glances sideways as Talon speaks.

...a metal man...his skin is different...and they look at him the same as me... he thinks.

...so it must be the skin...and our size...i wonder if he's truly metal or if it's just elaborate armor... he thinks as his mind wanders, uncertain what to think of a man made of metal.

JBarca
2014-12-02, 06:23 PM
The man raises his eyebrows in recognition at Feodore's introduction and begins to speak. As the other members of the party introduce themselves, his expression changes from understanding to mild irritation to surprise. When he finally gets a chance to speak, he stands and offers a half-smile.
"Ah, well. You lot sure showed up fast! I wasn't expecting anyone yet. Well, since you're here:"
The man bows slightly, more a dip of his head than anything.
"I am, in fact, High Councilor Thorn. I'm glad you all were able to make it here. There've been some odd goings-on up north, and trade is suffering for it. Now, normally, I- er, we just let the local militia handle this sort of thing. But some merchant or other got himself murdered and now there's a big uproar. Suffice to say, I need someone -that'd be you- to find out what's happening.
"The village in question is a small one on the river. Elsircross. It's 40 or so miles along the Dawn Way, then north from there. The local ruler is one Baron" Thorn roles his eyes at the title, "Trask. Not the easiest of fellows to get along with, but he's mildly competent. Don't go making trouble and he and his sons'll likely leave you alone.
"Anyway, if you can go check this out and maybe put a stop to the problems, I'm more than willing to reward you.
"So, what do you say? Interested?"
Thorn smiles hopefully and waits.

Logain Ablar
2014-12-02, 06:30 PM
Elysia

"The sword is my trade, and I am more than willing to ply that trade for pay. 40 miles from here you say? That is quite a trek. When did this happen?"

redzimmer
2014-12-03, 02:53 PM
Feodore

Feodore snorts a stifled laugh at Elysia's comment. He then quickly composes himself.

"It would be a pleasure, m'lord," Feodore says, an easy smile reaches his face as the opportunity to do right (and keep himself comfortable to boot) presents itself.

"Not to sound mercenary, but what do you consider 'fair wage' for such a task?"

He thought a moment, and another question came to him.

"And do you have a cartographer with a map of the area? I fear I am new to the region and know none of the places you just mentioned."

Dexam
2014-12-03, 06:41 PM
Talon

"Your proposal is acceptable to Talon," Talon says in that same neutral tone of voice. "We will require a written contract detailing the terms of the agreement. We will also require a writ, badge, or other recognisable symbol of proof authorising us to investigate, apprehend suspect individuals, and destroy the guilty offenders."

JBarca
2014-12-03, 11:23 PM
"Hm. I received word about the most recent incident, oh, yesterday? So earlier this week?" He shrugs. "Frankly, I've got a lot to do, and keeping track of every minor disturbance in the backwater villages is not a priority. And... Feodore, was it? If sufficient information can be found about this that mercenaries can be hired to deal with the issue, I can offer 500 platinum as a payment, divided amongst you as you see fit. With something extra included if the problem is... Resolved without my needing to hire additional, and official, parties. And, naturally, you're welcome to anything you find in the possession of the offenders that no victim has laid prior legal claim to."
He opens a drawer in his desk, pulls out a small scroll, and hands it to the Halfling.
"There you are."

He cringes a bit as Talon makes his request.
"I, uh... I suppose I can give you my personal seal, though that'll only count for so much when dealing with Trask and his."

He scribbles out a brief note, signs it, and hands it to Talon. A reading reveals a brief rundown of the conditions mentioned already (find out the source of the kidnapping and murders, earn 500 platinum pieces plus loot).
"Take that to my secretary in the next office over and he'll fill out the proper forms and give you my seal."

He smiles. "Now that that's taken care of... Do we have any other questions? I'm a busy man, and, while I hate to rush you, I'm going to rush you." He winks at his last comment, obviously thinking himself mighty clever for it.

http://warscales.wdfiles.com/local--files/the-elsir-vale/The%20Elsir%20Vale.jpg

razorback
2014-12-04, 08:24 AM
Valhandele smiles inwardly for a moment at the prospect of making 100 platinum, which should hold him over for some time, but he pauses to reflect and wonders what the job is really going to entail. <You have tramped through sewers for weeks chasing a kobold thief for a tenth of what is being offered, it can really be much worse than that> he thinks to himself.
With a shrug of his shoulders to himself, he sets his course. "I hope I can speak for everyone, but your offer seems generous, lord. With a look around to the others and a quick nod of his head, he waits to see if anyone has any other questions before he starts to head for the door.

theterran
2014-12-04, 10:08 AM
Lo-Kag nods.

"The people of the north need our assistance, you are wise to rush us for their sake." he says sincerely.

He then bows slightly again to the High Councilor before striding out.

Dexam
2014-12-04, 10:51 AM
Talon

Talon grasps the parchment in two of its three broad yet surprisingly dextrous fingers on each hand. The construct affixes its unblinking green gaze on the Councillor.

"This offer is deemed to be acceptable by myself."

It turns to the others as if noticing them for the first time. "Greetings. I am the individual bearing the designation 'Talon'. Your designations have been noted. The contract will authorised and the seal of the individual High Councillor Thorn collected, then we shall depart."

JBarca
2014-12-05, 11:07 AM
"While I'm glad you've agreed to help... Could we take the meet and greet into a hallway or side office? I'd like to get back to work, if you don't mind." He waves his hand toward the door.

With that, Thorn goes back to his parchment, apparently putting you out of mind.

razorback
2014-12-05, 01:28 PM
Valhandele make his way out the hall and speaks over his shoulder to the others.
"Hello. As you heard, I am Valhandele or, as it may be easier on your tongue, 'Val'', if you prefer. Why don't we grab a quick bit and/or drink to eat while we get to meet each other and formulate a plan to get us from here to Elsircross. I have never been there but have business, unhurried business, nearby so I have some small knowledge of the region. How does that sound to everyone" as he continues down the hall and out the door, assuming everyone else is following him at least to the foot of the building before he stops.

redzimmer
2014-12-05, 02:14 PM
Feodore

"Feodore Stillhawk, mage knight, champion to the downtrodden, and avid fan of all thing fermented," he says with a bow. He then addresses the large one with the marbled skin directly.

"If I may not seem rude, good sir, what manner of person are you? It has never been my pleasure to meet one such as you! I am enriched to have now done so!"

He wants to babble on, first the the one called Talon (A real life warforged! I never thought I would ever see the like! And a fine elf wizard! There is so much I could ask him!) but always on guard not to be too obnoxious, he instead stands with an overly eager look on his face.

Logain Ablar
2014-12-06, 12:57 AM
Elysia

In elven "Hail and well met Wizard Valhandele." Inclining her head politely, but not breaking stride for a more formal gesture of salute. If you're a native to the Vale you may notice that her elvish is accented slightly differently than what you'd find in this part of the world.

She turns to include the others and continues in common.
"I am Elysia Kath'tria or Elysia Wind-Dancer in the common tongue. The sword is my art, travel my passion, and many a vice pleasure.

Personally, I have been in this town a bit better than a week now, and I am eager to be back on the road. It is only early afternoon yet, we could get a few miles beneath our boots ere nightfall."

Dexam
2014-12-07, 10:11 AM
Talon

As instructed, Talon wordlessly leaves the Councillor's office. It immediately makes its way to the secretary's office and hands over the note, returning only once it has the contract and seal.

"I do not require food, drink, or rest," Talon says. "I am unfamiliar with the location of the village Elsircross. Directions of travel will be most useful."

The silver-armoured construct turns and addresses Feodore. "Talon would view the map acquired by the individual Feodore Stillhawk." There is a two or three second pause. "Please."

Logain Ablar
2014-12-08, 02:41 AM
Elysia

Elysia does not know Elsircross but she does know the main trade roads and the settlements directly off them

"The Marthton is about 20 miles along the Dawn Way. if we were to acquire some horses..."
She pauses glancing at the large metal man and the larger marble skinned creature. "draft horses perhaps, then we could reach Marthton by nightfall, and perhaps gather some information from the locals as to what is happening.

redzimmer
2014-12-08, 02:52 AM
Feodore

Taken somewhat aback, Feodore hands the map to the warforged.

A warforged! Armor plated, sigil on the forehead, I wonder what sort of dexterity those fingers are capable of? If only Mistress Riven could see this...

Feodore continues to stare, clearly in awe, unaware how uncomfortable one might feel to be in the gaze of it.

theterran
2014-12-08, 07:45 AM
Lo-Kag pauses as he's leaving and stares at the little man who asked the question of him while contemplating his answer.

"I am one of the mountains." he says with a grin, as if that explains it all.

"What manner of man are you?" he asks in return, chewing on his words as he says them.

redzimmer
2014-12-08, 11:42 AM
Feodore

"Well, my good fellow, I am a what my people call 'Hobbit'," Feodore says. He thinks for a moment.

"But that seems to mean something else among the tallfolk, they all mutter angrily something about rabbits pulling sleds and suchlike. You might call me a halfling. It seems what what the humans hereabouts do."

Logain Ablar
2014-12-09, 01:08 AM
Elysia

"and you Talon, what manner of being are you?

She circles around him as they walk. Curious, and intrigued by both of these strange creatures, but particularly the automaton

I've never seen such a creature before.

Dexam
2014-12-09, 04:17 AM
Talon

Talon peruses the map for a while, then hands it back to Feodore. "Thank you," it intones, either completely unworried or unaware of Feodore's staring.

Talon then turns to the others. "I have estimated that I could reach the village Elsircross by sunrise, if my travel is unhindered. I am aware that other individuals require rest and may not be comfortable travelling at night. Travel with company is preferable to Talon, so I will agree to the majority decision in this matter."

It then directs its green-glowing gaze on Elysia. "Individual Elysia Kath'tria, Talon is not very skilled with horses and would prefer to walk, but once again will accede to the decision of the majority in this matter. Talon is a free-willed individual, and has learned that it is a member of the people called Warforged," it says, as if that explains everything. "I suspect that Warforged individuals are not common in or around Elsir Vale, and seeks knowledge of any other Warforged individuals that may currently be present in Elsir Vale or present within the last twelve months."

JBarca
2014-12-11, 05:46 PM
Moving from the palace, your motley crew finds itself the subject of more than a few stares. Within a few minutes, though, you find yourselves near the western wall of the city, in a sector made up entirely of inns, stables, and minor shops. The buildings here are not nearly as nicely constructed, nor as clean. Fewer humans are about, overall, and occasional exotic beings of varying descriptions are present. You are not spared a second glance by most.

Before you can decide on a stable to purchase your mounts, an overly friendly, overly round Dwarf offers his hand to each of you and launches into a lengthy description of dozens of mounts of all sizes, each "guaranteed strong, guaranteed cheap!" Naturally, this just means that he is not demanding massive amounts of extra gold, so you accept, and are each able to find a horse (or horse equivalent) to suit your needs.

Having collected your mounts, you set out, riding west and north along the region's main road, the Dawn Way. A few men and women make their way past you, towards Dennovar. Most seem relatively poor, though one or two groups are clearly merchants. The poorer folk eye Lo-Kag warily, though not with any sort of hostility. The rich do not deign to spare you even a glance.

You are able to travel for nearly four hours before the sun is nearly hidden on the horizon. Based on your maps, you know you have another hour, maybe more, before the nearest settlement, Marthton, is reached. You don't notice any travelers any longer, and the area around the road is entirely plains. With your collective knowledge of the Vale, you know that you're in the safest part of the region; along the Dawn Way between Dennovar and Brindol. Night camps here are possible, though obviously not without some risks. What would you like to do?

Feel free to have retroactively spoken/otherwise interacted with the salesman or those you encountered on the road. Just skipped past it all for speed of play.

redzimmer
2014-12-11, 06:59 PM
Feodore

"Well I hate to be the one who broaches the subject but who wants to be on watch? Elysia, you and I know you need only a few minutes of winks, but you, Mistress Valhandele, surely need sometime to focus your mind for the potent majicks you wield."

He did not add he needed rest too to prepare his spells for the day, he hated to draw attention to his shortcoming. He winced at his own pun.

"Mister... Mis... uh. Individual Talon, by my admittedly limited knowledge, I understand your kind do not require sleep. Is this true?"

As for Lo-Kag, Feodore couldn't even begin to guess. He seemed to eat, breath and pass wind like any other mere mortal, so he assumed the massive person also needed sleep.

"I digress. In summary, I volunteer myself for first watch."

Logain Ablar
2014-12-11, 07:41 PM
Elysia

She snickers but does not point out Feodore's mistake

We elves can see pretty well by starlight. But we can't be too far from the nearest settlement. If we have a few torches and a light spell or two I think we should push on. Traveling at night is hardly ideal, but this is a fairly safe part of the region, and I don't think we will be in any real danger.

redzimmer
2014-12-11, 08:33 PM
Feodore

"A fair comment," Feodore says. "I guess my dog'll see where I'm going if nothing else."

Dexam
2014-12-12, 01:41 AM
Talon

"You are correct, individual Feodore - I do not engage in the activity of sleep, though I do find short periods of physical inactivity to be enjoyable at times."

Talon addresses the rest of the group. "Talon finds it best to inform the company that it can see for short distances and in limited shade and hue without the requirement of light. I can also see individuals and objects concealed by invisibility, and detect the presence of nearby magical auras. Is this of benefit to the company?"

Assume that Talon's See the Unseen invocation is active at all times, unless otherwise dispelled.

razorback
2014-12-12, 07:30 AM
Valhandele arches an eyebrow as Feodore speaks.
"I prefer master, mister, Valhandele or just plain 'Val', if you don't mind" with mixed indignation and amusement on his face.
"As Miss Elysia has pointed out, we elves can see quite far in the light of the moon but as this area is fairly safe, pushing on might be the best of ideas. The sooner we can get up there, the sooner we can get our investigation underway." he says as he adjusts himself in the saddle, not quite used to the human style.

theterran
2014-12-12, 09:23 AM
Lo-Kag nods in agreement to Val's words.

"More will suffer needlessly if we take too long, we should hurry." he states in a 'matter of fact' tone.

Logain Ablar
2014-12-12, 03:38 PM
Elysia

Onward, then. But let's have some light.

As they ride, Elysia digs a torch out of her pack, and lights it with her flint.

JBarca
2014-12-12, 09:43 PM
The party moves onward into the night, keeping a watchful eye out where possible, a "listenful" ear out where not. Aside from the normal sounds of wildlife in the distance and the slow, but steady, plodding of hooves (and paws), little is heard. The occasional small nocturnal rodent is seen, but nothing of note, really.

After two hours of riding, a village is reached, presumably Marthton. Most of the village is obscured by the darkness, and the hills and forest the map indicates are not within sight at all. A small open watchtower along the road is visible, though, lit by a torch held by a man inside. As you near, he calls down softy, "Ho, travelers. Business in Marthton?"

The man is elderly and wearing what appears to be an antique kettle on his head, though you can only assume it is actually a helmet. A club hangs from one side of his belt, a horn from the other. He seems amiable enough, if bored.

Logain Ablar
2014-12-14, 04:22 PM
Elysia

Elysia bows from the saddle. "We are travelers from Dennovar. At the request of High Councilor Thorn, we travel to Elsircross to investigate problems they are having. We seek shelter for the evening. May we enter?"

JBarca
2014-12-14, 05:49 PM
The man squints down, though he never seems to focus on anyone in particular, merely eyeing the group as a whole. Strangely enough, he doesn't seem to focus on Lo-Kag or Talon at all, unlike nearly everyone else the two have met. "Thorn, you say? Well, I'd hate for him to be upset. Aye, y'can enter. Keep on the D'Way, there'll be an inn on your left. The Sleeping Log's what it's called. Safe travels."
The man sits back down and resumes his careful watch of the approaching road.

As you continue into the small town, you walk through a goodly number of small houses, along with a warehouse, a tavern, and, finally, the Sleeping Log. The entire village smells heavily of sawdust and sap. Seeing as it's not a few hours after dark, you're not surprised to see vacant alleys and walkways.

The entryway into the inn is small and cramped, and entirely covered with logging-based paraphernalia. Saws, hooks, logs, boards, ladders, and hatchets hang on every available surface. A short, fat man lies across a wooden counter, clearly asleep.

redzimmer
2014-12-14, 06:53 PM
Feodore's

It has been a long day travelling, and Feodore's was eager for a bed. As a rule an inn would let him keep his riding dog in his room, or an unobtrusive space in the common room floor if not.

"Ho, there!" Feodore's says, hammering the counter. "We are travellers with weary feet and weighty coin purses! Can you solve our twin conundrums?"

He tosses two platinum onto the counter to emphasize his point.

theterran
2014-12-15, 08:19 AM
Lo-Kag looks around at the inside of the inn.
"It's kind of small." he mumbles to himself, suppressing a yawn.

Seeing the platinum tossed onto the counter, Lo-Kag thinks to himself. ...what manner of little man is this who literally has money to throw around...

razorback
2014-12-15, 05:50 PM
Valhandele looks askance at up at Feodore's display and wonders if he can afford to travel with such a wealthy individual. Shaking it off, he turns to Lo-Kag with a smile on his face. "Not all of us have your mass, friend. Seems cozy and quaint to me. But, as your jaw has indicated, it may be time for sleep."

JBarca
2014-12-15, 09:48 PM
The man doesn't react to the banging or speech, but the instant the coins hit the counter, his hands sweeps them into a pocket and he looks up. After a moment, he seems to realize what he's looking at, and nearly falls from the surface in shock.
"Er, hello. I got some rooms, sure. Y'all big fellas probably need some extra space, huh? Two coins, two rooms looks good t'me. Back thataway. Try not ta break anything, eh?" He jerks a thumb over his shoulder, indicating a rickety wooden door behind him. He tosses you two keys and promptly returns to sleep.

Through the portal is a thin hallway with two doors on either side. Your keys open the two on the left hand side. Each room has four small beds, a table that seems to be held together with naught but luck and splinters, and a cupboard full of dust.

Logain Ablar
2014-12-15, 10:10 PM
Elysia

She eyes the innkeeper, knowing her friend is being very overly generous, and that he is being quite cheep. She decides to get some worth out of that generosity

"For two platinum coins you could get us bottle of wine for the..." she pauses briefly glancing at Talon "four of us, and we expect breakfast in the morning. breakfast in the morning."

Dexam
2014-12-16, 01:19 AM
Talon

Talon also moves to disrupt the innkeeper's attempts at rest.

"We possess horses that are in need of stabling," the construct says in its calm, nearly emotionless voice. "Your help in this matter will be greatly appreciated."

JBarca
2014-12-16, 05:14 PM
The man groans. "The, uh, breakfast'll be in the common room," -He point to a hallway that ends in a small common room- "And I'll see if I can't scrounge up some wine fer the lotta you, of course."

He glares as he mentions the wine.

"Horses go in the stables, of course. Parta the rent. 'nything else, or can I get the sleep I'm owed?"

redzimmer
2014-12-16, 06:23 PM
Feodore

"Yes, wine will do. And a haunch of something meaty for my lad here," Feodore's thumbs at his dog, quite sarcastically named Cerberus, in that it was always surprised and made a rubbish guard dog.

"I trust he's welcome to split my room?" Feodore clicks a handful of gold sovereigns in his palm to enhance his suggestion.

Unless plot dictates, presume I turn in after a couple pulls on the wine bottle.

JBarca
2014-12-16, 10:50 PM
Grumbling the whole while, the man fetches a bloody, meaty bone of some sort and drop it on the ground. He reaches under his counter and grabs two bottles of cheap wine and hands them over.

The night is spent on rather hard beds, at least for those of you who sleep.

The next morning, the food offered is poor, clearly the remainder of a decent breakfast. It is sufficient, though.

Gathering your mounts, you continue your travel along the Dawn Way. To the north is a very large forest, very obviously the Marth. A bit the east, you can barely make out a long line of rolling hills. As you travel, the road moves northwest, before shifting almost directly west. As you the miles pass you by, the south remains the same; grass, grass, and more grass. It's warm, but not overly so. Altogether, it's a relatively pleasant, if boring, ride.

Five hours into the day, a smaller path splits off from the Way, heading directly North. Based on the map you had been given and the road signs, this marks your departure from the road, as Elsircross lies to the north a small distance.

The dirt road you're on now is bordered by shrubs and grassland which, after an hour or so, turns smoothly into tended farmland. As the sun approaches the horizon, an awful odor hits you. It grows worse the farther north you go. Eventually, you crest a small rise and a little village becomes visible. It is obviously the source of the stench, though it is hard to tell what is causing it exactly. A small train of wagons is approaching from the east, piled high with logs. As you near the outskirts, two men on mangy horses ride up to you directly. The wear thick leather jerkins and hold short, brutal spears. One is young, scarred, and angry looking, the other appears to have foregone bathing for the last decade, though he smiles brightly. The each have a blue spear impaling a lion emblazoned across their shoulder.

The youth of the pair spits as he stops his mount. "Hello, travelers. Can we help you?"

The smiling man merely waves.

As he does, you notice a small knot of activity at the corner of an alleyway. Two men are shoving a third against a house, and clearly demanding something from him.

The two men antagonizing the third have the same symbol of the spear and lion on their shoulders, and appear to be demanding money from their victim.

The lion that is being stabbed is very similar to the Coat of Arms of Lord Jarmaath, the lord of Brindol and one of the most powerful men in the Vale.

Logain Ablar
2014-12-16, 10:51 PM
Elysia

Elysia has a glass of wine (maybe two) then, removes her armor, boots and swordbelt and slips into bed. She doen't have to lie down to meditate, but she finds a soft bed relaxing. After a few minutes she instead moves to a cross legged sitting position in front of the fireplace (or in the coning if there is no fireplace). She keeps her lightblade first under the pillow, and then within easy reach after she moves.

Assuming an uneventful night, she'll finish her meditation a bit before first light, re-dress, and slips out to the courtyard to do a little sword practice until dawn. When the others come to the common room, they'll likely find her playing dice in a corner.

Logain Ablar
2014-12-16, 11:31 PM
Elysia

Gentlemen! She smiles charmingly at that them, but the word is overtly respectful nearly to the point of mockery. She dismounts, handing the reins to either Talon of Lo kag, whoever's closer.

Excellent, an honor guard. We have been sent by High Councilor Thorn to investigate and solve the problems that have plagued this region. I assume you are here to lead us to Baron Trask. Please, lead the way.

I'm not sure if I need a bluff check for this or not, but if I do, here it is [roll0]
And just in case things go very badly, here's an initiative roll [roll1]

razorback
2014-12-17, 08:28 AM
As he wakes from his meditation, Valhandele stretches a bit from the uncomfortable setting.
<Cozy, indeed> he thinks to himself. Seeing that others in his room are still sleeping, he moves his items and goes downstairs to begin his preparations for the day, including perusing his spellbook. He sees Elysia come down and nods to her but is unsure if she notices his him as she moved outside.

Eventually the others come down and they are given their extravagant breakfast before they move on. He spends the travel taking notes of the countryside as best he can from saddleback. When he is not taking notes, he spends some time talking with Feodore, interested in the halfling's nearly elven disposition.

As they are approached by the human guards, he is more than happy to let Miss Elysia speak for them, though he is concerned by the handling of the other human by the apparent guards of Lord Jarmaath.
Leaning over to Lo-Kag, he says in a low voice "Is that typical of Lord Jarmaarth? While the standard is similar to his coat, the design is a little different. This is not what I would have expected of him and his men, from the rumors and reports I have read."

redzimmer
2014-12-17, 09:45 AM
Feodore

Always happy to let Elysia deal with the diplomatic aspects of their business, Feodore subtly readies his blades and clears his mind for any eventual casting.
[roll0]

Dexam
2014-12-17, 09:47 AM
Talon

Talon ensures that the horses are properly stabled, providing them with food, water, and removing saddles and brushing them down. Afterwards, it returns to the common room and stands there, motionless, green eyes glowing faintly in the darkness.

In the morning, as each member enters the common room, Talon politely enquires if they are well rested. It doesn't speak while they eat their breakfast, but silently observes when Elysia practices her swordplay and Val studies his spellbook.

As they travel, Talon asks no questions and starts no conversations, but happily answers any questions asked of it.

When they enter the town, Talon ignores the reins offered by Elysia. Instead, it dismounts and approaches the trio of men near the alleyway, stopping several feet away.

"I would know for what reason is the freedom of this individual being restricted," Talon demands in its emotionless voice, assessing all three.

Detect Magic on the three men as Talon walks up.

See the Unseen invocation is active.

theterran
2014-12-18, 08:18 AM
While the rooms seemed a bit cramped to Lo-Kag, he had definitely seen worse, and bedded down as best he could for the night. The following morning, he ate the food placed in front of him, grateful for any food at all. He then excuses himself and finds a quiet place in the small inn and spends an hour in prayer and meditation to Heironeous, requesting the blessings of his spells allotment for the day.

Thinking the road might be a dangerous place, he casts a spell, and using the blessings of Heironeous, he persists it. A Cloud of Knives appears hovering around Lo-Kag. Then he gathers his belongings and waits for the others to leave.

------

Being last in the travel line, he approaches as his companions are already engaged in a dialog. After seeing what the metal man is speaking of, Lo-Kag speaks up as well.

"HEY!" Lo-Kag yells at the men down the alleyway, "STOP THAT! Lo-Kag then continues in a less yelling voice once he has their attention. "If he has committed some offense, take him before a magistrate and handle it in the right fashion. If you're assailing that man for other reasons, then perhaps you are the one that needs to be dragged before the magistrate." he says with a stern look.

JBarca
2014-12-18, 03:17 PM
My apologies, I wasn't clear; the symbol is nor Jarmaath's. Rather, the lion is, with the spear being a new addition. Feel free to change your post a bit if you need to.

The two men look at each other before the angry young man responds. "Thorn sent you? Aye, we'll take you to Pa."

As he finishes speaking he turns and notices the men being addressed by Talon and Lo-Kag and halts, watching the outcome of the discussion. They stop harassing the man, though they do not release him. They clearly wear the same symbol as the first two men.

"This fella's owing some money to the baron. Taxes and that, you know." The speaker grins, then notices the blades floating about Lo-Kag's head. "Let's be putting those pointies down, huh? No need for anyone to get hurt." As he speaks, he fingers the handle of a mace at his waist.

"And our lawful Baron don't have time for each and every failure to pay, y'know. We are his deputies, and we can collect his dues." The second man winks as he speaks.

The victim widens his eyes in fear at the newcomers. When they speak, he sees the opportunity and tries to run. The first man shoves him back into the wall with a grunt. "He makes us pay too much! I can't support my wife!" A quick blow to his gut from the second man shuts him up quickly.

You detect no magic.

redzimmer
2014-12-18, 04:58 PM
Feodore

Feodore hops off of his dog and strolls over to the set-upon man.

"Ah, my old friend! You look well! How fares the lads?"

Before the bewildered man can reply or his assailants act, he presses on.

"I have good news! I have acquired the money I owed you for so long! What was it again?"

He reaches for his coin purse, on hand still on a kukri.

"You really saved my neck, giving me this money when you did," he hopes he doesn't have to draw the man a picture.

Feodore never actually gave the innkeeper the extra coins, he just jingled them at him. :belkar:

Logain Ablar
2014-12-18, 10:55 PM
Elysia

" 'Taxes' huh? You've the attitude, bearing, and..." she sniffs and wrinkles her nose "and smell of of the 'toll collectors' who accost merchants and travelers."

Dexam
2014-12-19, 02:06 AM
Talon

Talon looks at the man pinned against the wall and groaning in pain. Talon turns back to the man's assailants, the construct's eyes burning like twin green fires - something that it's travelling companions have not seen before in the day or so they have known Talon.

"You have a most unusual method of demonstrating that there is 'no need for anyone to get hurt'," it says in its strangely calm monotone. "Might this individual be permitted to try this method of non-hurt upon yourselves? Or perhaps you individuals would like to demonstrate this method upon this individual?" Talon spreads its arms, three-fingered hands open with palms upward, revealing that other than a pack, vest, belt, and a few pouches, it carries nothing else. "I carry no weapons."

JBarca
2014-12-19, 03:12 PM
The man under attack looks mighty confused for a few seconds, before tentatively muttering, "T-twelve silvers, friend..."

The two assailants watch the discussion with some suspicion, but shrug as they realize the money'll get paid regardless.

The younger mounted man calls out, "Toll collectors? Nay! We work directly for the Baron, travelers! This man lives here an owes a tax, though, in truth, it be none of your business. You're not being charged a toll, are you? Come, let's leave these lawfully appointed men to do their jobs, and I'll take you to Trask." The dirty man bobs his head in agreement.

As Talon offers his body, the man with the mace pulls it out of its loop of leather. The other man puts a warning hand up. "Let's not get hasty here, fellas. Tax's being paid," he points to the Halfling, "And the Baron'll be getting his dues. Let's all just move along..."

All four men are visibly tense, ready for a brawl. The few individuals visible on the streets as you entered the village are now dispersed, all hidden within buildings. A few frightened faces watch from windows.

redzimmer
2014-12-19, 03:46 PM
Feodore

"Of course, I think you gents have been working too hard. Tax-collecting is the most unsung of noble services," Feodore says. He never like bullies, and he jumped at any opportunity to take away their bluster.

"I will tell you what. I shall pay you a nominal fee, let us say 200 gold. I shall then collect the remainder from this rabble when time permits me."

Fedore motions vaguely towards the locals trying to not be seen.

"I might make a surplus, I might take a loss, but you fellows can take the rest of the day off and lead us to your liege, whom we have business with."

Logain Ablar
2014-12-19, 04:25 PM
Elysia

Elysia reaches across and casually lays a hand on her blade when the man pulls his mace., but lets it falls after that man's companion calls for calm.

In halfling
"One of these days you're going to give away more than you can afford. I'm not sure these villagers would have 200 gold all put together."

She switches to Elven to include Val
"If they weren't servants of this 'Baron' and possibly his sons to boot, I'd rather just give them a good thrashing. As it is though we should just move on for now. We've a job to do, and need their good will to do it."

redzimmer
2014-12-19, 04:35 PM
Feodore

To mix it up a bit, Feodore replies in Goblin.

"Aye, but what's money but a means to an end, El? But really, I just want to see how far they'll go to rough up someone before I rough them up. It's only fair to give them a chance."

Logain Ablar
2014-12-19, 04:57 PM
Elysia

She laughs aloud at that.

Common
"I suppose your right. Although I'd rather it be my end than another's."

Goblin
"And fair would be letting them get four more men, and the we could put on a show for our new companions"

Back to common
but enough of this banter and squabbling. You've your money, and we've a job to take care of. Please, lead us onward."

JBarca
2014-12-19, 05:13 PM
At the mention of the sum, all five men (collectors and the victim) raise their eyebrows in shock. The two men not mounted smile broadly then and hold out their hands. The victim backs away, obviously relieved to have the opportunity to flee. When the group begins using languages other than Common, the the young mounted man glares at the party.

"A'right, enough of that. Le's go."

Assuming the coin is actually handed over this time. :smallamused:
The men on horseback lead you deeper in town, looking greedily back toward the two tax collectors hang about, giddily counting their coin.

You are led to a large house with two more men standing guard outside, each with the same symbol on their shoulder. The younger man nods to the two, dismounts, and heads inside. A minute later, he returns and beckons you inward. A small hallway ends in a moderately-sized room. Three men stand on each side of the room, holding spears. They are armored in leather, though it (and they) are clean and well-kept. Several tables are lines up, all empty. A raised wooden dais is on the far end, with large chair sitting atop it, clearly supposed to be a throne.

Sitting on this chair is a well-muscled man wearing relatively fine clothes in the same blue as the spears on his guards' shoulders. He wears a bronze crown, rather shoddily made. He frowns through his beard as you enter.

"Thomas here says you're from Thorn and are attempting to supersede the authority of my soldiers. I'll have an explanation, both of your intent and the source of your wealth."

redzimmer
2014-12-19, 05:23 PM
Feodore

In the Common tongue Fedore speaks, doling out 20 platinums to the nearest of the jumped-up robbers.

"Aye, fun's fun. But we're here to work. Take us, as they say, to your leader."

In halfling again he slips, just for fun and to see who can understand:

"Of course with the gems stashed in the dog's saddlebags, what difference do a few platinums make?"

Sense motive to see if any of them understood and are stealing a glance at the bags: [roll0]
Bluff to see if they believe me if they understand me: [roll1]

JBarca
2014-12-19, 05:28 PM
The men are much too distracted by the coins to be paying much attention to anything else. The young man, though, looks at you angrily as you speak, though it seems to be suspicion with the language change more than anything else.

razorback
2014-12-19, 06:18 PM
Keeping relaxed during the proceedings, Valhandele has a questioning look on his face as the humans try to do whatever they are doing. Seeing everyone tense, he suddenly realizes that there may be a situation that may be arising but before he can react, Feodore calms the situation. Not sure why the halfling would bait the men with dreams of gems in his saddlebags, he keeps a wary eye on everyone, wondering if he is in the midst of a fever-dream.

Logain Ablar
2014-12-19, 11:04 PM
Elysia

"We have been lead to understand that you have some sort of bandit problem. Our intent is to resolve it. Our wealth comes from merchants and barons like yourself who pay us to deal with such bandits, monsters and other creatures that disrupt the business of the land.

As for your soldiers, well that was an unfortunate mistake. You see, I fear my companions and I mistook them for brigands. Surely you understand given their disheveled and dirty appearance? I am truly ashamed of the mistake. No self respecting bandit would ever try to shake down someone so publicly.

My companion here" she gestures at Talon, "has a sealed note from the High Councilor that shuld serve to prove that we are in fact here to investigate and solve your problem."

JBarca
2014-12-19, 11:46 PM
Trask raises an eyebrow. "Bandit Problem? I'm sure I don't know of any bandits around here? This seems like another attempt by that overzealous Thorn to meddle in my business. And my soldiers can dress as they please. We're not all wealthy, upper-class, cityfolk, y'know. Some of us have to get by with what we have."

At the mention of the note, Trask waves his hand dismissively. "I don't need any official declarations from that puffed up, self-righteous, greedy, upturned-nose of a man.

Now. Since I can assure you that we have no problems here, how else can I be of service, travelers?"

Dexam
2014-12-20, 09:58 AM
Talon

As the "tax collector" draws his mace, Talon prepares to summon forth the arcane energies that are part of its very being. However, before the situation turns violent, it is defused by Feodore's intervention. The Warforged lowers its arms as quietly and smoothly as it raised them. Without further comment, Talon follows the others to the Baron; though it's eyes are no longer glowing brightly.

"Thomas here says you're from Thorn and are attempting to supersede the authority of my soldiers. I'll have an explanation, both of your intent and the source of your wealth."

"Authority gained through pain and fear is no true authority at all," Talon intones. "Such authority can be easily taken by those who weild greater fear. True authority comes from respect and admiration for the individual, and will persist in spite of pain and fear. If the authority of your soldiers is so easily superceded, then it has been given up by them or they never had it in the first place."

Trask raises an eyebrow. "Bandit Problem? I'm sure I don't know of any bandits around here? This seems like another attempt by that overzealous Thorn to meddle in my business. And my soldiers can dress as they please. We're not all wealthy, upper-class, cityfolk, y'know. Some of us have to get by with what we have."

At the mention of the note, Trask waves his hand dismissively. "I don't need any official declarations from that puffed up, self-righteous, greedy, upturned-nose of a man.

Now. Since I can assure you that we have no problems here, how else can I be of service, travelers?"

"There have also been reports of kidnapping and murder. Since we have your assurance that there are no problems, you will not object that we investigate matters to our own satisfaction. Your assistance in this matter has been noted. If our investigations reveal that there are problems within the village Elsircross, it can be surmised that either you are ignorant of the concerns of those you purportedly rule over, or that those who have committed these deeds have done so with your approval. This has also been noted."

JBarca
2014-12-20, 09:52 PM
"This is my land. I will not allow you to go searching out trouble on it. If there is a problem, my soldiers will find and stop it. And authority is mine, regardless of your notions of legitimacy, thank you."

He slumps back into his chair, glaring at each of you, mulling something over. He glances at the other men in the room, then back at the party.

Logain Ablar
2014-12-21, 01:08 AM
Elysia

So you're telling me that we were pulled in from our other business, and road two days for 'nothing going on?' That there haven't been unusual murders and kidnappings? in this area?"

[roll0] to tell if he's lying
[roll1] to try and figure out if he's hostile to the point of wanting to try and attack us

If she senses that he is thinking of attacking us, she'll also say "I wouldn't try it if I were you. Your men might over power us, but can you really afford to lose your best guards? Who knows how many we'd take with us."

If she doesn't sense hostility, or if she can't tell, then she does not say that.

razorback
2014-12-21, 10:41 AM
Valhandele puts his left hand on Elysia's shoulder while raising his right hand, palm out towards Trask. "Easy, all." he says calmly. "There is no reason why we can't help you out, Baron. Obviously the High Counsel is in need of their funding in order to keep the government running, including your own, which is why he has asked us to lend you what assistance we may. Best to keep your men doing their job and we will continue our investigation and report back to you our findings. Is this agreeable?"

JBarca
2014-12-21, 06:14 PM
Trask is definitely not being entirely honest with you. Something is being hidden, though it doesn't seem like he's outright lying.
You sense no outright hostility, yet. His anger seems to stem from a dislike of Thorn.

The man snorts. "You act like I understand all of the decisions that fool Thorn makes. Maybe he wanted you lot out of his city? Can't blame him there."

When the Elf speaks, the Baron shrugs. "Do as you please, I suppose. Just stay out of the way of my soldiers and there won't be any trouble. They'll have orders to keep an eye out for you, of course; you're no longer welcome on my land."

Logain Ablar
2014-12-23, 02:44 PM
Elysia

She bows deeply and formally.
"Your hospitality and cooperation truly speak to your benevolence and stature as a leader. Surely your land and people must thrive.

We will be sure to inform you of anything we find,"

She turns and walks toward the door adding over her shoulder as she does "Eventually."

JBarca
2014-12-24, 01:29 AM
Assuming everyone follows Elysia.

As you exit, your escorts are clearly visible down the road, arguing with the two men you paid off earlier. One of the two guards standing outside the house hold up a hand, "Hold there."

The other enters the building and closes the door behind him. The minutes drag on. And on. Finally, the first man returns, frowning. "A'right. Baron says y'can go. But you've got about 20 seconds before we toss you behind bars, so I'd hurry if I were you."

The other man smirks and gives a "shoo"ing motion with his hand then hefts his spear. The two laugh together, clearly finding their antics much funnier than you do.

Logain Ablar
2014-12-24, 03:38 AM
Elysia

Elysia pulls her flask from an inside pocket, and hoists it in a salute that mirrors the guard lifting his spear. She then takes a pull from it, and heads out. Unless someone else takes the lead she's walks somewhat aimless with no particular destination in mind.

Guys feel free to say/do something in this space of time. I feel like I'm driving things forward right now, and I just wanna make sure I'm not cutting off RP opportunities for anyone else

redzimmer
2014-12-24, 03:59 AM
Feodore

As if leaving a gratuity, Feodore tosses a handful of copper and silver coins at their feet.

"Much obliged, gentlemen, I shall summon you if I need anything further."

razorback
2014-12-24, 07:31 AM
Valhandele looks at the men and makes a mental note of them for later as he gives them a blatantly false smile and bob of the head.
As he walks off to the horses with the others he says
"This little burg doesn't seem to want us but that is there problem, not ours. We have a job to do."

Dexam
2014-12-27, 11:31 AM
Talon

Talon makes no protest as they are escorted from the Baron's presence. Indeed, it is nearly impossible to tell what the expressionless construct is thinking; though its eyes do shine brighter when the guardsman hefts his spear at the group.

Talon heads towards the horses, waiting until they are out of earshot to talk to the others. "It is the thought of this individual that we should consider continuing our investigation with members of the Elsircross villagers. Individuals such as innkeepers, tavern owners, blacksmiths, and members of a merchants guild may be more helpful. The individual Baron Trask or his soldiers should not suspect us of 'making trouble' by talking with such individuals while under the guise of travellers."

Logain Ablar
2014-12-27, 02:10 PM
Elysia

Ah, my monotonous friend, I am sure Trask will find a way to make trouble for us, no matter what we do. Still I agree with you, we can't just leave a job undone, and at this point I'm inclined to stick around just aggravate the blustery fool. He was hiding something from us. I could tell. As I recall, Thorn said something about a merchant getting killed, so the merchant's guild may be the best place to start. Who knows, I might even run into someone I've worked with before?

redzimmer
2014-12-27, 02:43 PM
Feodore

Feodore chuckles.

"It's true, some humans just want trouble. Odd folk," he says in a low voice, noting how many of the 'odd folk' are about.

razorback
2014-12-29, 09:31 AM
"I see" Valhandele says in a low voice, thinking for a moment.
A bit louder he continues with "Well, there should be some kind of store of market that we can resupply at before we make our trek back." With that he looks around for a business that has a look of those characteristics and starts to walk towards it.

JBarca
2014-12-30, 12:22 AM
Elsircross does not have much in the way of "stores," you quickly discover. There are several small businesses about, most of which seem to be devoted to either woodcutting and carpentry or papermaking. You notice one genera store of sorts, which is home to, based on your knowledge of prices, nearly 5 platinum pieces worth of goods. As you go about your search, you occasionally see one of Trask's men walking about. They all eye you with nothing but distaste, though they keep their distance. For now.

You see very few townsfolk, though, aside from those in their stores or businesses. A few smile and nod at you if there are no guards around. One man shakes Feodore's hand before hurrying off.

After a bit of searching, though, you do find a bit of a merchant depot. It's a small, run-down building that contains bedrooms, a stable, a vault, a more general storage room, and two or three small sitting rooms. As you enter, a nervous man hurried up to you.
"Uh, hi, travelers. How can I be of service?" A few men and women are seated nearby in rather comfortable-looking chairs. They glance at you as you enter, then return to speaking in subdued voices.

Feel free to have purchased a few small goods if you'd like. Just basics (no single item over 5 gold), nothing fancy here.

razorback
2014-12-30, 04:51 PM
Valhandele looks around to make sure that none of Trask's men around before responding.
"We are just looking to resupply before we head out into the wilderness. You see, High Councilor Thorn has sent us to find out what happened to a certain merchant who was killed in these locals. Seeing as your local Baron has been less than helpful... well, a hindrance to be honest, any help, from clothes to perhaps some information, would be greatly appreciated and recompensed as best we can." he says the last part quietly as he looks over some trail rations that are on one of the shelves.

JBarca
2014-12-30, 11:05 PM
"Um... What sort of information are we talking about here? I, and and a few other here, are friends of Thorn. You'll find, um, fewer, who would say the same of Trask."

One or two of the men sitting around glance your way, and one stares openly. No one in here is wearing Trask's insignia.

redzimmer
2014-12-30, 11:56 PM
Feodore

"We are investigating curious goings-on," Feodore says in a low voice. Anything out of the ordinary happening hereabouts? Attacks? Disappearances? Killings?"

Feodore hoped that he could read their responses in what they did or did not say.

[roll0]

JBarca
2015-01-01, 09:59 PM
"Oh. Yes. Um. Quite." The man hesitates a moment, then gestures for you to follow. He heads through a back door and down a hallway, knocking on a door when he reaches it. A small, pale man opens the door. A woman is visible in the room, sitting in a chair, staring at a wall. Your guide whispers a few words to the man, who nods and invites you all to sit.

"Greeting's. Name's Sharpe. Cleose was my nephew, before those horrid rogues took him. This is the poor man's sister, Clarise. She's a bit distraught, as you can imagine. How can I be of service?"

The man sits on the edge of a thick mattress on the floor, leaving stools and chairs for the party and their guide.

Logain Ablar
2015-01-01, 11:21 PM
Elysia

Elysia takes one of the offered seats.

"Mr. Sharpe, our job is to find these rouges you mentioned, and put an end to them so that trade and travel can again be safely conducted in this part of the land. If they have taken prisoners, I think it our responsibility to try and rescue them. If they have not, then we may yet avenge them, and save others from their fate. Any aid you could offer to us in finding these bandits, or telling us who and want they are are, would be greatly appreciated."

JBarca
2015-01-01, 11:55 PM
"Ah. Well. As I'm sure you're aware, we've had seven, well eleven if you count my boys, disappearances and two outright murders in the last few weeks. Cleose, Clarise, and myself had planned on staying in town for a few days and rest. You see, we'd just made the trip from Caedia to the north. Buying, selling, sight-seeing, the works. Anyway, here we were. Cleose had gone out one night, and, when he didn't return, we feared on of the 'baron's'-" he rolls his eyes and allows his voice to ooze disgust here- "men had pulled something to get him imprisoned. Nasty lot, they are. Well, come morning, we find his, well, his remains on the street a few blocks down. Arm very near ripped off, big gouges in his belly. Oh. Sorry, Clarise." The woman doesn't seem to hear Sharpe at all, and continues staring at the wall.

"Right. Well, couple of lads we'd taken with us got themselves all worked up and vowed to catch his murderers. They asked around a little, avoiding Trask's men, and found some people who had been awake. Saw some men in robes moving about the town all sneak-like. That night and a few others. The sneaks went East, off in to the Marth, apparently. Well, they got themselves all excited, hired up a thug or two, and chased after them. Haven't come back. that was... Huh. Three nights ago? Yeah. Three. I'm not sure what else I can do for you, that's about all I know. I'm happy to answer any other questions you might have, though?"

My apologies for not responding to your roll. So far as you can tell, the men in the entry area were a bit spooked, and definitely wary of you and your group. Sharpe just seems frustrated, if a bit sad. He doesn't seem untrustworthy.

You're aware that Caedia is a nation to the north. Fairly small, very militaristic and xenophobic.

You've each been to Caedia at least once or twice. It's a fair travel, though the empire is harshly xenophobic and heavily militaristic. They're not poor, though, and will readily trade with humans who bring valuable goods. You were both pointedly ignored for the duration of your stays there.

Dexam
2015-01-02, 02:14 AM
Talon

Fearing the potential fragility of the furniture under its armour-skinned weight, Talon elects to remain standing.

"You will provide us with the identities of the individuals who witnessed the sneaks in robes," Talon states in its calm, monotonous voice. "We could learn more if we were to question them. Also, do you know why the individual Baron Trask would choose to mislead us about these occurrences?"

razorback
2015-01-02, 08:57 AM
Valhandele nods in agreement with Talon.
"No matter how poor an administrator Trask is, he can see not dealing with this issue of missing people and murders isn't good for his command of the people or his economy. It is criminal in either case, whether he is willfully ignoring the circumstances or in collusion with these sneaks." the disgust evident on the elf's features.
"What is your plan now to get your wares to Caedia? I would imagine you would want a strong guard crossing the land and for entrance into theirs. From what I know, you want to make a strong presence otherwise they take it as a sign of weakness when you enter."

redzimmer
2015-01-03, 04:16 PM
Feodore

"Unless this "Baron" has an interest in these disappearances," Feodore muses out loud. But yes, a strong, armed presence with your next buying excursion might make your journey easier..."

JBarca
2015-01-04, 12:43 AM
Sharpe looks thoughtful for a moment. "Hm. Like I said, it was my men who did the searching, not me. Not sure who they spoke with, to be frank. You could ask around. The lads didn't come back, otherwise I'd send you to them. The Marth's not that dangerous of a forest, I thought, but what do I know? Especially with robed men attacked folk in their homes. But, I'm afraid you misunderstood me. I came from Caedia. I'm on my way back to Brindol, then to Dennovar, then home, out East. Won't be needing a guard, I'm thinking. Most of the trip's on the Dawn Way. If I'm not safe there, then we've got bigger problems, don't we?" He smiles.

"As for Trask... Who knows. That man's full of greed. Likely, he hired the sneak thieves," he grumbles, then quickly adds, "Not that you heard that from me, of course. Otherwise, he may just not care. Or, he may just not like you. He's petty like that. It really is hard saying with our esteemed 'baron.'"

razorback
2015-01-05, 05:22 PM
Valhandele nods at the man's explanation.
"Sorry, I have never met anyone from Caedia. Perhaps I will remember your accent when I next meet someone from your land. As far as this baron is concerned, we'll deal with him on our terms. Maybe we'll spend a day or two looking into the baron. In the mean time, thank you for your help."

JBarca
2015-01-08, 11:59 PM
Gathering yourselves and thanking the man, you depart from the gathering of merchants. Staying within eyesight of each other out of concern for Trask's orders and men, you being knocking on doors and speaking to passerby. Within a few hours, the group reconvenes. Feodore, Val, and Talon report that they have learned little. The people were far too afraid to give out much information (that is, when they actually spoke at all). Essentially, they learned what they already knew: Trask is causing problems, and no one is really a fan. Some are suspicious that he is, in fact, the cause of the disappearances.

Elysia returns having spoken to an older couple who saw the murder of poor Cleose. They claim that a handful of men wearing hoods and dark cloaks ambushed him on the street, exchanged a few words with him at a whisper, then hit him. The couple stopped watching when the violence began. When they gathered their courage, Cleose was dead.

Lo-Kag informs the group that another man claims to have seen some hooded and cloaked figures disappear into the woods to the Northeast. They were accompanied by some sort of animal with a long, spiked tail. He didn't recognize it.

Sorry for the delay, all. My day got very... long rather quickly.

Logain Ablar
2015-01-09, 12:51 AM
Elysia

"It seems we'll have to go investigate these northeast woods. Why can't bandits ever hole up in a nice civilized place like a tavern?"

I normally play a ranger, or druid, and I have to keep reminding myself that Elysia would just wander off into the woods where people are quite probably lying in wait, because she's just that self assured and (over) confident.

Dexam
2015-01-09, 10:14 AM
Talon

"This individual has noted that apparently the victim exchanged words with his attackers; it might be possible that he knew them. Into the northeast of the Marth forest seems to be the next logical course of action."

Logain Ablar
2015-01-10, 01:51 AM
Elysia

Elyia looks side eyed at Talon. "I bet you're just the life and breath of a good party aren't you, Chuckles?"

razorback
2015-01-11, 11:11 AM
"Although it might be a bit embarrassing to say, I'm not an elf who is as close to nature as some of my brethren. Is there anything that we may need to help us in our exploration of the Marth forest or are we ready as we are?" asks the elven wizard matter of factly.

Logain Ablar
2015-01-11, 01:40 PM
Elysia

"Waiting around won't make any of us more skilled as woodsmen. I say we go now, while we have some idea of where our quarry might be."

redzimmer
2015-01-11, 02:12 PM
Feodore

"Right on, El," says Feodore, "what possible dangers could our mighty friends not surmount?"

In truth, Feodore always preferred to let Elysia take the lead.

Logain Ablar
2015-01-12, 01:22 AM
Elysia

and baring any objections I assume we head into the woods

Dexam
2015-01-12, 08:06 AM
Elyia looks side eyed at Talon. "I bet you're just the life and breath of a good party aren't you, Chuckles?"

"I do not understand. Is this humour? I am not very good yet at humour; I have much to learn about it, and it is extremely variable. Also, the name of this individual is is Talon, not Chuckles. And yes, we should proceed now."

razorback
2015-01-12, 09:32 AM
Valhandele pats the metal man on the shoulder gently while he follows Elysia and the others into the woods.
"Fear not, Talon. If you spend enough time with the young lady and myself, and of everything I have heard or read of your kind, you will survive many a long year, perhaps we can show you a bit of elven insight into the world, where you can see joy and humor in the most mundane and beautiful that life has to offer. "

JBarca
2015-01-13, 05:59 PM
The party begins heading for the Marth Forest, intent on discovering the source of the problems plaguing this small town and, perhaps as importantly, their employer.

After a half hour of walking along the river, you come to the edge of the wood. A few hundred yards south, you see a logging camp. A dozen or so men are working, sawing a few large logs into many smaller logs. An empty wagon sits nearby, waiting. The river continues on into the woods, only now beginning to turn northward. Om the far bank, you can tell that the wood is much thinner, more sparsely populated with trees and undergrowth, and it continues thinning as it stretches into the distance.

There are no roads or paths nearby, leaving the logging camp as the only feature of note.

You notice that there are two men wearing armor standing nearby to the camp. They're holding something... Weapons, probably. They appear to be watching the forest or the workers, rather than the approach from Elsircross.

redzimmer
2015-01-13, 06:06 PM
Feodore

"Looks like we aren't the only ones interested in the hereabouts," Feodore says in a low voice. He draws his companions' attention to the two armed individuals ahead.

"We should be wary of others laying hidden,"

razorback
2015-01-13, 06:10 PM
"Should we continue on or ask these men if they have seen anything?" as Feodore asks them for caution.

Pondering, he continues "You are right. Caution is best at this point. However, my point is also valid. If we have no indication that they are hostile, we can only gain information at this point. If they are hostile, then caution now with a bit of luck and surprise, should win us the day. What does everyone say?" Valhandele says as he looks around at the others.

Logain Ablar
2015-01-13, 06:44 PM
Elysia

"We have the advantage of surprise, but that means nothing unless we plan to attack, and I see no particular reason to attack. These could be guards to a legitimate lumber operation for all we know. At the same time"

She draws her blade, but holds it down at her side, not in a guard position.

Caution is alway wise when dealing with armed and armored strangers. Perhaps the casters should hang back while we investigate? If things go south, I assume you have some raged sells you can cover us with?"

She turns to Feodore. "Fe, shall we go greet them?"

razorback
2015-01-14, 01:20 PM
As Elysia and Feodore prepare to go and greet the strangers, Valhandele focuses on the spells he has prepared for a moment then lays in wait.

Readied action:
If the men prove hostile to our friends, Valhandele will cast Web on the hostiles, as many/close to Elysia and Feodore as possible.

redzimmer
2015-01-14, 01:46 PM
Feodore

"If they give us problems, I will spray and pray, Elysia," Feodore says in Elvish. After one or two adventures together, he knew the sword-brandishing elf would draw more attention that the unassuming halfling. To continue the aura or non-threat, he keeps his blades sheathed.

JBarca
2015-01-14, 06:07 PM
As the Halfling and the Elf draw near, the two armored men take notice and begin to walk toward them. They stop about 30 feet away, putting themselves roughly equidistant from the party and the camp.

"Ho, travelers. What business have you here?" As the man calls out, the two seem to notices Elysia's drawn blade.

"I'd really appreciate it if that blade were to be put away; no need for naked steel, I think, aye?"

A few of the workers stop for a moment to look curiously over at the commotion, and one or two takes the opportunity granted by the distraction to sit for a moment.

Logain Ablar
2015-01-14, 09:58 PM
Elysia

"Merely a precaution." she says. She then puts the blade in front of her, point down and folds her hands on top of the pommel.

"We are here hunting murderers. Here in the woods, away from civilization, one cannot be too careful approaching armed and armored strangers. You wouldn't have seen a group of men accompanied by an animal with a spiked tail come through here have you?"

Dexam
2015-01-15, 08:29 AM
Talon

Talon approaches the armed men, standing slightly behind and to the side of Elysia and Feodore so not to appear too threatening; its green-glowing scanning the men for signs of magical auras.

"This one would like to know who your employer is," he intones softly.

JBarca
2015-01-15, 09:51 AM
The two men are wearing breastplates that are now, at closer range, obviously adorned with the familiar spear-and-lion insignia.

"Spiked tail? Nah, nothing like that. The Baron said to watch the woods for men coming and going, though. Might be that's what you're looking for?"

The other man eyes Talon with some mix of fear and curiosity, saying "We work for the Baron, of course. Who do you work for?"

Logain Ablar
2015-01-15, 04:48 PM
Elysia

"At the moment, we represent the families of several murdered merchants. We spoke to the Baron about this earlier. He did not offer us much information I'm afraid, but I promised him I would inform him of whatever our investigation turned up. So have you seen any people coming and going? If so from where?

JBarca
2015-01-17, 05:10 PM
The two men glance at each other, before the one who had addressed you before speaks again, "We haven't seen anyone but these peasants, no. They come from Elsircross every morning and head back there every evening, with us of course. No one else. Who are you looking for, precisely?"

The man is lying, no doubt about it. He's seen something but doesn't want to tell you."

He turns and shouts back at the working crew. "What about you, dogs? Any of you seen anything?" A few of the workers glance at each other nervously. Of that group, all but one immediately set back to work, diligently focusing on the log or saw, pointedly not looking toward the party or the security team. The remaining man stares sullenly directly at the guards, spits, then shakes his head and gets to work. He glances up at the party periodically.

razorback
2015-01-18, 10:26 AM
Valhandele looks at the other, looking for some clue from them before answering."Well, I'm not really sure who we are looking for. All I know is we were charted to find out what happened and dispense the reward money to those that helped. It would be a shame if no answers were found and all of that was for waste..."

redzimmer
2015-01-18, 02:02 PM
Feodore

"Aye, the sooner the better too," Feodore agrees. Of course, if no one helps out, I suppose I'll find a way to spend it myself."

Logain Ablar
2015-01-19, 09:16 PM
Elysia

"I think you HAVE seen something. I think perhaps you have orders not to tell us."

She sheaths her sword.

"I also think that what happens here in the wilderness stays here in the wilderness. I think we could make it worth your time."

She retrieves her dice, leans forward and blows on them.

"and as long as you're willing to play for it, I can offer you a chance to make it veeerry worth your time."

JBarca
2015-01-19, 11:57 PM
The two men look at each other for a moment, then nod.

"Reward, eh? Well... That must mean that the problem is serious, right? Well, I suppose we could be, ahem, persuaded, to help. How... serious is this problem? After all, if it's not a huge deal, it's not worth our time..."

The other man nods emphatically. When the offer to play comes up, he inclines his head. "I'm up for a game, I suppose. It's nearly time for a break, anyway, I'd say..."

You clearly have the men's interest. The workers are all but forgotten. How do you proceed?

Logain Ablar
2015-01-20, 05:30 PM
Elysia

She glances at Feodore and then the workers. She attempts to covertly convey a message.
Check: [roll0] message: go question the workers while I distract them.

"I though first off, we would pay you. Does 10 gold pieces sound fair for this information?

She counts the coins out one by one, letting each clink against the others as she does.

"Then, you give us the information, and then I'll dice with whichever of you has the most useful information. The stakes will be your part of the reward, against a chance to spend tonight with me. Win, and you keep the money and you get me for the night. Lose and your partner gets to play against the same stakes. Not that I thick either of you handsome fellows would ever lose to little old me."

redzimmer
2015-01-20, 05:48 PM
Feodore

Quietly and as small as his size allows, Feodore sidles over the lumberjack furthest away from the arms-men.

"Of course, a working man like yourself might know or see a thing or two?" Might there be a place or time we could talk about... various things?"

With as small a movement as possible, Feodore drops a gold coin by the logger's foot.

"We are people of generous means. Enough useful info and one could get out of such a dangerous profession. Or at least find more agreeable employers..."

[roll0] move silently.

JBarca
2015-01-20, 09:43 PM
The two men seem to be struggling to keep their eyes in their sockets at Elysia's offer.

"Few nights ago, we was on evening duty-"

"Three! It was three nights ago! And some men came by. Offered us a few coins to keep quiet! Well-"

"There was no money exchanged, actually. They offered, we told them to get lost." The man looks pointedly at his companion. Seeing the blank expression on the other's face, he whispers, "They could be working for the Baron. Keep it simple, you dolt."

Realization crosses the man's face as he responds. "Oh. Yeah. No money. We just let them go. They had something with them. A dog? Maybe-"

"Nah. Ain't no dog that sized. And that tail? Looked like a lizard's! Then-"

The tale continues in this fashion, with contradictory information being thrown out by the two. Essentially, Elysia is able to gather that four men in dark robes came by a few nights ago, paid for silence from the guards, then disappeared toward town. About two hours later, they returned, dropped off some coin, and took an old hunting trail into the woods.

Immediately following the story, they demand to know which of them will have a bed-warmer that night.

Feodore approaches a man who pointedly ignores the Halfling. When the coin is dropped, though, his eyebrows shoot up. He glances at the soldiers, notices the fact that they're nearly slavering over Feodore's ally, and nods. He stoops, grabs the coin, then jerks his head toward the wood. He waits a moment, then calmly walks into the trees a ways.

Logain Ablar
2015-01-20, 10:37 PM
Elysia

Elysia strings them along for a while going back and forth between the two of them for as long as she thinks she can get away with it, trying to buy Feodore as much time as possible. Before they start getting frustrated, she pics one of them, for no real reason, although she'll make one up, and lays out the details of the game.

"Now remember, 5 gold against a night with me."

She pulls out a black silk handkerchief, and lays it between them. She gestures for him to point the coin down as his side of the wager. Once he does, she continue.

"Since they're my dice it's only fair I let you roll."

She hands him the dice, and waits to see both what he does, and if Feodore is back yet.

redzimmer
2015-01-21, 01:35 AM
Feodore

Certain Elysia has the soldier boys under control, Feodore skulks towards the dark hollow he's directed to.

Hope he isn't angling for a wager against my virtue, he muses.

JBarca
2015-01-21, 09:32 AM
Feodore can hear one of the men arguing that a lizard of some sort was seen as he enters the wood. A few paces in, a low whistle draws his attention to a hollow set up against two large trees and a deep cleft in the earth, where the man he'd been following is sitting on a stump, drinking from a bottle. A number of other bottles are visible, poking up from the earth. It seems this is some sort of hideaway.

"What 'xactly you looking for? I seen some fellas the other day. Had an animal with'em. What else?" He seems nervous, though still very obviously interested in helping, given the open expression on his face.

Elysia, the men are still storytelling and arguing at this point in time, and I'd like to keep htings vaguely coterminous, so we'll get to the (already assured) results of your little game in my next post.

Dexam
2015-01-21, 10:33 AM
Talon

Talon, not particularly skilled at interacting with others, seems content to stand guard over for a while. Eventually the construct tires of it and begins to wander around the logging camp, though it doesn't stray too far from Elysia and the two guardsmen. At the same time, Talon frequently checks the surroundings for any signs of movement that could signal trouble.

razorback
2015-01-21, 11:43 AM
The elven wizard looks abashed by what Elysia is proposing, missing the underlying messages between her and Feodore.

redzimmer
2015-01-21, 01:11 PM
Feodore

"Level with me, good sir," Feodore says, twirling a platinum piece on his knuckles, You saw something, or suspect something, else those bully boys wouldn't want you to keep your mouth shut. People are disappearing. Good people. Hardworking people who have people at home who will miss them. if these boys are hiding something nasty, it's gotta weigh on a man's soul."

He tosses the coin into the the air, catches it and lays it on top of an empty bottle.

"Take it. It's a much better offer than that wood man who travels with me will offer you. Tell. Me. Everything."

Gather information (I have not CHA or ranks in these skills!) [roll0]
Intimidate (Scary warforged!) [roll1]
Dipolmacy (Friendly rich halfling!) [roll2]

Spent 1 pp and 1 gp thus far. Frankly Feodore ain't sure what to ask, so he's just making it up as he goes along.

JBarca
2015-01-21, 03:23 PM
The man in the hollow looks very suspicious of the coin laid before him, but eventually shrugs and grabs it.

"A'right. As I said, couple days ago, couple'a fellas with an animal came by, headed to town, then came back. They were gone a bit. Both ways they dropped a gold on the Baron's men over there. I'm figurin' the Baron don't know what's been going on, though. On account of the men are still here, of course. The Baron's not sending them down the trail to find the animal. And that's all with that poor boy getting hisself killed. I'll show ya."

The man pulls himself to his feet and walks a ways southward, then points at the ground. There's a clear trail through the bushes and trees. A hunter's path, most like. It threads its way deeper into the wood. "They followed this. If I were lookin' for trouble, I'd go thataway."

The guards all but ignore Talon, while the workers eye him with a healthy mix of anxiety and curiosity. Lo-Kag and the Elf are hardly given a second glance, the one for his human-sized body, the other for his stillness and silence.

After the men finish talking, the first to be offered the dice snatches them up and rolls. When the results of the initial pair of tosses are not in his favor, and the following two are even worse, his cursing grows louder. When the game is decides in Elysia's favor, he stands, crosses his arms, and considers a moment. "Fine. Double it. Ten gold for a night." He fishes out a handful of coins and tosses them on the ground, then takes up the dice again, looking to Elysia for acceptance.

Logain Ablar
2015-01-21, 08:22 PM
Elysia

"I suppose I can give you you one more chance..., but only one. A lady can only bend her principles so far.

She does pocket her winnings from the first game though.

JBarca
2015-01-23, 01:19 AM
Elysia, after little to no effort, is able to defeat her opponent and leave him fuming as she moves on to the second soldier. This one is less excitable, though, and rolls more carefully. He honestly seems to think that he has a chance to succeed. It's almost cute, really.

razorback
2015-01-23, 08:40 AM
As Valhandele he gets the sneaking suspicion that Elysia isn't playing fair but can't figure out how.
Elbowing the massive metal man, to his regret. Rubbing his stinging elbow he says in a low voice"These games are less common amongst my people... at least, where I lived, but I have seen the humans play them with gusto at times. Does this kind of entertainment appeal to your people?"

Logain Ablar
2015-01-24, 02:17 PM
Elysia

"Such a shame. I was so hoping one of you men would win. But I lie by my luck and if the dice are against it, then it was not be meant to be."

She wants them to believe that she actually wanted them [roll0]
Just to check, I got back the 10 gold I bribed them with, and 10 more on top of that right?

She gathers up her winnings, dice, and handkerchief. Then walks back over to the others. Presumably at this point Feodore has returned

JBarca
2015-01-24, 10:46 PM
The men glare after Elysia with a mixture of anger and lust. Their eyes run over the metal man and the Goliath, and they seem to come to a decision. They walk angrily back to their posts.

Assuming nothing surprising happens, then, yes. Just waiting on redzimmer to post. And yes, you have earned 10 gold.

redzimmer
2015-01-25, 02:45 AM
Feodore

"Seems our armored friends were bearing false witness," Feodore says with mock indignation after Elysia finishes with the humans.

The halfling relays everything he's learned from his brief infomation gathering session.

"The trail seems pretty clear, if small. I am not in anyway skilled with woodcraft, mind you, so we ought to keep close lest we be separated."

Dexam
2015-01-25, 10:00 AM
Elbowing the massive metal man, to his regret. Rubbing his stinging elbow he says in a low voice"These games are less common amongst my people... at least, where I lived, but I have seen the humans play them with gusto at times. Does this kind of entertainment appeal to your people?"
Talon shakes his head. "Of the few others like myself I have met, none have expressed any enjoyment in wagering on the outcome of random chance events. Others I have travelled with have shown a desire to engage in the activity at any opportunity."

Its unblinking gaze follows the two guardsmen as they walk away. "It still confuses this individual that even though it is known that the undesired results of the wager are possible, even likely, they still express anger when that outcome occurs."

Talon nods once when Feodore relays his information. "We should proceed with all due caution, and be wary of sentries."

JBarca
2015-01-26, 02:18 PM
The party moves toward the wood, and Feodore is able to lead the group back to a small path through the otherwise dense underbrush. It's relatively straight, seeming to indicate that it was made to get to a specific location rather than formed over time.

It's not difficult to follow the trail, and the party makes good time. Within two hours, an end is reached.

Before you stands a great, rounded black stone monolith, a hundred feet high and five hundred wide. Nothing else like it is visible, and it seems to rest upon the ground, as if it had been deposited here. Across the top, you can see a long rounded edge with rough edges. It almost looks like scales across the top of the stone. It is surrounded by dead grass and withered bushes, out to fifty feet or so, where the wood begins. A well-worn path makes its way around the right (south) flank of the stone, disappearing around the curve.

Logain Ablar
2015-01-26, 09:15 PM
Elysia

"Well that's not foreboding at all," she says as she starts making her way around the large black structure.,

redzimmer
2015-01-26, 09:49 PM
Feodore

"Huh," Feodore says. He tried to shared Elysia's nonplussed attitude, but this was just plain creepy. "Er, onward then?"

Dexam
2015-01-27, 12:26 AM
Talon

"This individual has never previously encountered anything of this nature," the construct intones. "I wonder at its purpose?"

As the group approaches, Talon scans the area for magical auras or anything that might be lurking invisibly near the monolith.

razorback
2015-01-27, 01:41 AM
The wizard makes his way down the path with the others, eyes open for danger but doesn't notice the monolith rising from the landscape until they are nearly upon it. As they approach his widen as he is taken by the object.
"This is obviously from some other time... Another age, of wonders, I imagine, but it doesn't immediately ring a bell in my head as to anything like this. He says as he approaches the monolith, touching it gingerly.

Kn-history?
[roll0]

JBarca
2015-01-27, 11:35 AM
Monoliths have been used in a variety of ways throughout history. Often for religious purposes, though this one in particular doesn't have enough in the way of identifiable marks for you to tell why it was created.

The party travels around the structure, Talon sweeping his gaze back and forth but finding nothing. As you make it most of the way around, the carving at the top of the structure becomes more visible. A wyrm of impressive immensity lies across the top of the structure, carved entirely of the same stone as the rest of the monolith. Its wings are folded down and its claws are resting on the four corners of the top. Its neck, stretching out across its legs, ends abruptly without a head, though it clearly had one at some point. As you continue your journey, you see a large jumble of rock twenty feet off the path, with the odd horn or tooth shape jutting out. The head must have fallen off, and relatively recently, too, given the churned up dirt around the stone.

On the far side of the stone, the path turns more sharply toward the monolith, finding its way into a small depression in the rock, maybe five feet high and three wide. At the deepest point of this alcove, and marking the end of the path, is a solid-looking iron door. It has five stripes of some sort of crude paint running down it, freshly, if poorly, done. One each in red, white, black, green, and blue.

redzimmer
2015-01-27, 12:37 PM
Feodore

"Shall we knock? 'Hello? Are you kidnapping murderers?'"

Levity aside, this turn of events was unsettling. Something about dragons (even simple statues) always put him on edge.

razorback
2015-01-27, 03:32 PM
Valhandele smiles and laughs quietly to himself.
"Well, it would certainly get the attention of anyone who happens to be in there but it wouldn't be the tact I would normally use, but you are free to try. I wonder what these marking mean, though..." the elf trails off, as he studies the crude markings.

Knowledge the?
[roll0] depending on the actual skill, it varies from Nobility:8 to Arcana:12

JBarca
2015-01-27, 04:06 PM
Well, given the carving, it seems likely that these five colors are meant to represent the five Chromatic Dragons. They're almost universally Evil.
Alternatively, they could represent Tiamat, the goddess of Evil Dragons; she's often represented as having five heads, each a different color (Red, Green, Black, White, Blue).
Almost every noble uses colors in their motifs, but you don't know of any who use all five of these colors prominently.
Could be the design of a minor house or small nation? It's hard to say without more information.

Logain Ablar
2015-01-27, 04:29 PM
Elysia

"Well,let's see if it's even locked first."
She tries the door handle

Dexam
2015-01-27, 07:09 PM
Talon

Back-tracking slightly...
Approaching the monolith, Talon gestures and invokes its Spiderwalk ability. As deftly as any lizard, the construct climbs to the top of the monolith to more closely examine the carving. While it is up there, it surveys the surrounding countryside, before climbing back down to report its findings.

On an impulse, Talon picks up a piece of the broken stone, a horn or tooth, and stows it in its pack. Unless the scouting of the top of the monolith reveals anything out of the ordinary, Talon waits patiently while the others decide how to approach the door.

razorback
2015-01-27, 07:24 PM
"I'd be careful with that." he says to Talon. "MY guess is that this might be some kind of shrine to Tiamat. Or, to chromatic dragons. Either way, caution is advised." Then, in an almost an about face he grins and says "How, lets see what bits of knowledge this monolith holds." as he practically rings his hands together like a kid in a candy shop.

JBarca
2015-01-28, 10:13 PM
From the top of the monolith, Talon sees a wide expanse of woods in every direction. to the north, a river is visible. Farther, a range of mountains can be seen.

When Elysia tries the handle, it turns easily. In fact, the handles is entirely loose, offering no resistance whatsoever. The light touch makes the door swing inward. A dark, clean tunnel heads down into the ground. It is entirely smooth the whole way. It levels out about 50 feet ahead, maybe 15 feet down. A second door is at the end of the tunnel. It is made of wood; loose planks hammered to a few sticks, apparently. Coming from beneath, and through, the door, you can see swirling, shifting lights of many colors, almost as if multicolored torches are hidden behind the it.

razorback
2015-01-29, 04:06 PM
As Valhandele moves down with Elysia, he squints at first as his eyes adjust from the sunlight to the darkness. Just about the time he is going to cast a spell to bring forth light, his elven senses see a light emitting from under the door.
Tapping Elysia on the shoulder, he whispers "We should go topside and let the others know. This does not bode well."

Logain Ablar
2015-01-29, 04:50 PM
Elysia

"You go get them," she whispers "I'll wait here."

Then she sidles up and puts her ear to the door.
Listen Check: [roll0]

razorback
2015-01-29, 05:28 PM
The mage quietly moves up the stairs and gets everyone's attention and explains what they had seen.

"Elysia is holding the door for the moment, but I think we need the whole group to deal with whatever is there. If need be, we can retreat and I can create something to slow whatever we might find down."

redzimmer
2015-01-29, 05:39 PM
Feodore

Feodore draws his twin blades and nods.

"Will we require lighting to make our way through?"

He commands his riding dog to stay put. He has no faith it will obey.

razorback
2015-01-29, 05:47 PM
"it is dark until we get to the door Elysia is guarding, which has the strange, multi-hued light coming from underneath it."

JBarca
2015-01-29, 07:28 PM
You hear a thin, quiet sound. A humming, maybe? Almost a hissing. A bubbling? It's steady and constant. Nothing alive.

redzimmer
2015-01-30, 05:09 PM
Feodore

"Never a dull moment..." Feodore says. He uses his innate arcane power to illuminate one of his kukri until he reaches Elysia, then wills the light away.

Logain Ablar
2015-01-31, 06:47 PM
Elysia

When everyone come down to join her, Elysia, draws her sword, opens the door, and steps through.

JBarca
2015-01-31, 07:25 PM
A small basin sits on the floor in the center of this fifteen by fifteen foot room. Its edges are carved into the likeness of dragons, and each of the five heads emits a stream of colored energy into the basin. There are two greenish-white streams, two blue, one red. These "streams" swirl around each other as they fill the basin, though it never overflows. A gentle hissing noise emanates from the basin.
An iron key sits in the base of the basin, barely visible through the multi-colored swirls. An iron door is set in the opposite wall than the one whence you came. The door has a very obvious keyhole in its center, in the form of a small dragon's mouth.
The floor is wet and uneven, full of puddles and moss. The walls are smooth, carved stone.

Dexam
2015-02-01, 09:50 PM
Talon

Talon moves into the room, alert for any signs of danger. It scans the area for magical auras, focusing on the basin, key, and the iron door; as well as examining them for anything further of note.

"This individual finds it most unusual that the key to the door would be left here. This individual suspects that it is guarded in some manner, if not a false key and trap for the unwary."

razorback
2015-02-01, 10:24 PM
Once everyone has been brought together, Val heads down with the others, thinking of the spells he had committed to memory this morning in case, as he feels, something goes wrong.
Stepping behind Talon, he says "I think your gut is speaking true." quietly, wondering if the metal man would bite.

JBarca
2015-02-01, 10:52 PM
The basin definitely shows up as magical.
One aura (the basic area), faint strength (Spell Level 3rd or lower)
Nothing new (Spellcraft's trained only)

Dexam
2015-02-02, 08:07 AM
"It is not my gut that speaks in this regard," Talon replies to Val. "It is my mind. The basin carries a faint enchantment, although I do not know of what kind; the key and door are not magical. "

I could have sworn I put a rank into Spellcraft. Oh well, I'll do it when we level up.

Logain Ablar
2015-02-02, 12:22 PM
Elysia

"I vote one of the spellcasters stick their hand in the enchanted glowing basin to get the key."

redzimmer
2015-02-02, 04:02 PM
Feodore

"Bah, who wants to live forever? Just have our holy goliath raise me once you get your share of the loot, El," Feodore says, plunging his little hand into the basin.

JBarca
2015-02-02, 04:45 PM
You are damaged for:
[roll0] Fire
[roll1] Electricity
[roll2] Acid
[roll3] Cold
Reflex DC 15 for half (rounded down)
You succeed
Nothing happens

Feodore jams his hand into the bowl, and the energy swirls more quickly, before bursting out into the room. A loud whooshing sound fills the room, and a blast of energy overtakes the party.

Everyone (except Feodore) takes damage:
[roll4] Fire
[roll5] Acid
[roll6] Cold
[roll7] Electricity

With a Reflex DC 12 for half.

razorback
2015-02-02, 05:10 PM
Val puts his hands up as the group comments about the mages puting their hands in but, before he can say no, Feodore rushes forward. "Hang on, I don't think tha..." is all he can manage before the room lights up.

Reflex save
[roll0]

redzimmer
2015-02-02, 05:18 PM
Feodore

"What's the worst that could ha..."

Feodore doesn't get a chance to finish his question as he is struck by the full force of the magical font.

[roll0]

The burst blows him back, but he manages to hang onto the key.

"Er..."

With no further words, he hands the elf wizard a cure light wounds potion.

Dexam
2015-02-02, 08:21 PM
Talon

Reflex save: [roll0]

Certainly not the worst that could have happened, but surely a better result could have been achieved?"

The construct touches one of three metal studs that adorn its belt - one of Talon's few articles of clothing - and some of the scorch marks and pitting vanish from its armoured form.

Using one charge from the Belt of Repair: [roll1]

Logain Ablar
2015-02-02, 09:25 PM
Elysia

Elysia ducks to try and avoid the worst of the blast, but doesn't quite manage it.

"Ackh! Well that stung."

She is obviously worse off than her light hearted banter would suggest

[roll0]
Best Reflex save in the party and I'm the only one who doesn't make it

redzimmer
2015-02-03, 11:22 PM
Feodore

"Sorry El, guess I took that too literally," Feodore says, handing Elysia two more cure light wounds potions from his pack. "Next let's hire a kobold to touch anything mysterious-like."

Looking at the key and the locked door, he immediately forgets his own admonishment and turns the key in the door.

Logain Ablar
2015-02-03, 11:42 PM
Elysia

Elysia downs the potions
[roll0]

"Thanks Fe, I owe you one. I suppose I'll trigger the next trap."

JBarca
2015-02-04, 11:12 AM
Coincidentally enough, there is a deep clicking noise, and the door swings inward.

Through the doorway is another stone room. The walls in this room are chipped and scratched, and the floor is littered with stony debris. Looking carefully, you notice faces, horns, scales, and claws of stone on the ground. It seems as though someone destroyed reliefs and statues of dragons and humanoids. The two side walls have large sets of wooden double doors set in them, while the wall in front of you is a single, sturdy wooden door with iron bracings.

razorback
2015-02-04, 12:20 PM
After reaching over and grabbing the potion from Feodore, Val quaffs it down as the others move to the door.

[roll0]

Feeling better he walks to the door but doesn't walk past it.

"Alright, who gets to play guinea pig now?"

Dexam
2015-02-04, 08:40 PM
"What is 'playing guinea pig'? Is it one of those strange terms used for your biological functions? "

Talon scans the room and doors for magical auras. If none are found, it moves to the double doors on the right and opens them.

Logain Ablar
2015-02-05, 12:32 AM
Elysia

Unless warned of some magical aura, while Talon opens one of the double doors, ELysia goes to the far end of the room and tries to open the simple wooden door. Also, in case I forgot to mention this earlier, at this point she has her courtblade drawn and ready.

razorback
2015-02-05, 08:27 AM
The elven wizard looks at Elysia and then at Feodore before saying "You two are a pair, aren't you? Rushing headlong into the unknown?" he says with slowly, thoughtful shake of his head has he pulls out his bow and knocks an arrow.

JBarca
2015-02-05, 10:17 AM
Opening two sets of doors at once in a dungeon? I like it.

Talon finds no magical auras.

When it opens the door, though, it sees six large cages made of poorly-crafted iron and three smaller cages of the same. Chips in the stone at their bases indicate they’re quite recent additions. Two hold the corpse of some sort of draconic creature. One holds a yet living creature. Similar, yet a different color and slightly larger. It sits, despondent, in its cell. When it notices you, it glares. The smaller cages each hold a humanoid; two are clearly corpses, one is breathing, but unmoving. In the back of the room is a small wooden door with three buckets on the floor near it.

Elysia opens the smaller door to a round room full of wooden benches, set in four rows of four, circling a podium on a stone platform in the center of the room. Four wooden doors lead out of the room, one opposite to the one you opened, one on either side. On the stage, two men wearing robes are kneeling, scrubbing the base of the podium with rags and brushes. When you enter, they shout in alarm and rise. As they do so, four more figures with robes and deep hoods stand up amongst the benches and move toward you, drawing curved blades as they do so.

Initiative order:
Valhandele (Va)
Talon (Ta)
Elysia (El)
Feodore (Fe)
Podium (Pe1/2)
Bench (Be1/2/3/4)

MAP (http://i.imgur.com/BM72eAC.png)

redzimmer
2015-02-05, 12:16 PM
Feodore

Seeing the state of the poor captives, Feodore embraces the hate that burns cold in his heart. Hatred of those who would oppress the weak... the small...

"You all have one second to surrender. I will not offer it again."

He holds his blades lightly, ready to dance them all over the sword-wielders' flesh.

[color="Green"]"Val, allow me to serve as a meaty barricade for. They may not suspect I have some small Art to cast as well."

He moves to intercept any swordsmen who attack, watch the podium opponents for any likely spellcasting.

razorback
2015-02-05, 02:20 PM
Valhandele hears Feodore and, taking a step back away from the room he was about to enter and sees the robed individuals rising.

"In a moment, there should be no need." Val replies in kind.

With that, the elven wizard reaches into his pouch and moves his hands in a star shaped pattern while saying "Zmay'ich havelor!"

Valhandele

AC ~10 Current ~ 10
HP ~ 22; Current ~ 16

Free Action
Speak and 5 foot step back one square so Val has a view in line with the door.

Standard Action
Cast Web on T-5
Reflex DC18

Effects~

JBarca
2015-02-05, 03:23 PM
A mass of web sprouts from the edge of the platform, engulfing all but one of the robes figures in the room.

One of the men on the platform and one on the ground seem to have avoided the worst of the webbings, though they are by no means free.
Pe1 and Be4 Entangled only

The man in the far corner is no longer visible due to the webbing (Be1). Pe2 is Entangled only. Be3 is Trapped in the Web. Be2 is unaffected.

Talon, then Elysia, you're up!
New MAP (http://i.imgur.com/0czd5M8.png)

Dexam
2015-02-05, 07:03 PM
Talon

Talon's eyes blaze green at the sight of the caged individuals before it. Hearing the commotion off to the side, Talon strides into the now be-webbed room, hands crackling with eldritch energies. Spying an individual carrying a blade to its right, the living construct intones "Explain yourselves" in its strange monotone, before launching a blast of raw arcane power at its target.

Move 25' to T10; fire Eldritch Blast at Be2.

Attack: [roll0] (ranged touch)
Damage: [roll1]

Logain Ablar
2015-02-05, 07:34 PM
Elysia

Elysia has not yet noticed the cages at the other door

"Finally, I've been waiting for a good scrap!"

Elysia moves into the room, and looking around, sees Be2 (assuming he's still up). She rushes in and thrusts with her sword.

Move 20' to V10, and attacks Be2

Attack: [roll0]

Logain Ablar
2015-02-05, 07:35 PM
I swear this roller is trying to kill me! Two ones back to back? What's up with that?

JBarca
2015-02-05, 08:39 PM
Talon's blast takes his opponent directly in the chest, and the figure staggers a bit, and growls

"You're dead, metal man!"

Elysia in unable to find her footing with all the loose webbing about and stumbles as she swings at the figure, but is able to catch herself before anything unfortunate occurs.

Feodore, you're up!
MAP (http://i.imgur.com/kq8tX3p.png)

redzimmer
2015-02-05, 10:33 PM
Feodore

"Offer expired!" Feodore yells, rushing the closest swordsman, ready to slash at an angle ideal for maiming those of human size.

[roll0]/[roll1] 23 or higher needs crit roll
[roll2]/[roll3]
[roll4]/[roll5] crit confirm if needed
[roll6]/[roll7]
Oops.

JBarca
2015-02-06, 06:40 PM
As Feodore moves forward, muffled discussion can be heard from within the webbing.

"Go warn Trilkar!"
"You warn him! I'mma stick the intruders!"
"WARN HIM!"

One of the robed figures can be seen to force his way back into the webbing more. The two on the podium come forward, and the one nearer to the developing melee casts a spell on another man. (Pe2 casting on Be1)
Bless

The man in the corner swings his blade at Elysia, aiming low to cut her feet out from under her. She's able to avoid the blow, though, as he is distracted by the appearance of the Halfling at his side.

[roll0] (If needed [roll1])
Damage: [roll2]

Val, then Talon, then Elysia!
MAP (http://i.imgur.com/oYWEo26.png)

razorback
2015-02-07, 11:18 AM
Valhandele moves forward, just outside the room and behind Talon.

"Which way did the other one go?" he asks the hulking metal man in front of him as he fires off his bow.

Valhandele

AC ~10 Current ~ 10
HP ~ 22; Current ~ 16

Free Action
Speak

Move Action
Move to T-11 (just behind Talon)

Standard Action
Shot bow at PE1 Edit: Original rolls in the IC thread.

[roll0]

Crit Conf
[roll1]

Damage
[roll2]

Effects~

Dexam
2015-02-07, 12:03 PM
Talon

"Towards the opposing wall," Talon replies to Valhandele. "This one assumes there is another exit there."

Talon sees one of the robed figures moving in the web and takes a step towards them. The crackling energies that coat it's hands coalesce into a bladed spear, which Talon uses to slash two-handed at the foe.

5' step to S10, use Eldritch Glaive to attack Pe1.

Attack: [roll0] (touch)

JBarca
2015-02-07, 06:30 PM
The Elf's arrow seems to be flying true, before it glances off a strand of webbing and goes wide, leaving the robed figure untouched.

At least until the Warforged Warlock steps forward and swings its eldritch weapon at the foe. The blade slices through web and flesh in the same sweep, leaving the man groaning and clutching his side.

Elysia then Feodore.

Logain Ablar
2015-02-07, 09:10 PM
Elysia

"You got lucky once, it won't be so again. I think it is you who are dead. I'll rend you from hip to shoulder you boot licking bastard!"

Elysia recovers from her stumble and slashes upward at Be2.
Damage: [roll1] slashing

"Fe, help me deal with cur and then I'll help with that caster!"

redzimmer
2015-02-08, 02:55 AM
[color="Green"]Feodore

"Seems I ran myself into being surrounded, hang a tick."

Moving slightly to the right to get out from between the two robed ones, Fedore stabs at the one closest.

Can't move to Elysia's square, so must make due and hope my epic AC can evade Be1's Attack of Opportunity.
Slash slash Be2
[roll0]/[roll1] to hit, 25 or higher for crit
[roll2]/[roll3] damage

[roll4]/[roll5] to confirm crit if needed
[roll6]/[roll7] x2 damage

JBarca
2015-02-08, 09:35 PM
The combined assault of Feodore and Elysia is enough to bring down the robed figure in the corner. As it groans and falls over, its hood falls back, revealing that the figure is, in fact, an Orc.

The man who had been blasted by the Warforged forces his way free of the webbing and points and his attacker, uttering an incantation, then shouts, "Halt!"

Talon, Will Save DC 14 or subject to the spell Command. In this case, if you fail, you can do nothing for one round, but are not helpless.

Tow of the figures move forward, flanking Feodore again. The first to arrive swings low and connects with the Halfling. The other steps up and swings his falchion directly at Feodore's head, connect for a brutal strike due to his ally's distraction.

Take four (4) damage from the first, then six (6) from the second attack (which included a Sneak Attack).

The final figures holds his empty hands ready to do... something.

Pe2 does nothing.

Back to the top, with Val!

MAP (http://i.imgur.com/K8RJW3L.png)

razorback
2015-02-09, 12:10 AM
Valhandele, seeing the free robed figure as he drops his bow and steps forward, pulling his rapier.
"Think to catch me unaware?" he says mockingly as he disappears only to reappear a split second later in front of Talon and incants.

Val thinks this guy is readying an action to counterspell him, so he reacts accordingly.

Valhandele

AC ~10 Current ~ 10
HP ~ 22; Current ~ 16

Free Action
Speak and 5 foot step to T-10 as draw rapier

Immediate Action
Activate Abrupt Jaunt and teleport to R-10

Standard Action
Cast Grease with Cloudy Conjuration, with the cloud affecting PE2 while hopefully not sucking up a spell or attack of some variety.
DC 17 reflex save and he is sickened for 1 round

Effects~

Dexam
2015-02-09, 01:11 AM
Talon

Talon briefly considers the spell-caster's request. "No," it replies, shrugging off the magical compulsion.

Talon steps closer to his foe, the eldritch glaive dissolving and reshaping into foot-long twin claws that sprout from the back of the Warforged's hands. The construct curls both hands into fists and swings at the enemy.

5' step to R9; full attack with Eldritch Claws.

Claw 1: attack [roll0]; damage [roll1] bludgeoning [roll2] magical.

Claw 2: attack [roll3]; damage [roll4] bludgeoning [roll5] magical.

Logain Ablar
2015-02-09, 01:18 AM
Elysia

Elysia tuckers her sword in close to her body and does a shoulder roll to move past her friend and between her two foes.
[roll0]

She comes to her feet and slashes down at Pe2, then shouts in halfling "Take the corner Fe, and we'll trap him between us."

Moves to Square W8
Attack: [roll1]
Damage: [roll2]

Logain Ablar
2015-02-09, 01:20 AM
Damage: [roll0] Slashing
GAH! FRIGGING 1s!

JBarca
2015-02-09, 05:48 PM
The floor shimmers beneath the feet of the prepared foe, causing him to slip and fall. As he does so, a thick, dark, swirling smoke manifests around him, leaving him coughing and gasping for breath.

Talon swings his energy blades at his enemy, leaving his flesh rent. The being collapses to the floor with a sickening thud.

Elysia's roll leaves her clear of enemy retribution, and her strike cuts the man at whom she aimed. He is bleeding, and clearly frightened.

Feodore steps nimbly to the corner and strikes twice at the foe between he and Elysia. The figure grunts, then returns with a blow of his own, that Feodore is able to duck under. Be3 steps forward and swings at Elysia, but the Elf's reflexes leave her untouched. Pe2 attempts to cast a spell from the ground, leaning away from Elysia's blade. Unfortunately, he fails to maintain his focus and the spell fizzles out in his hands. He looks up at his foes with terror in his eyes.

Back to the top.
MAP (http://i.imgur.com/1YvIu6P.png)

Dexam
2015-02-11, 07:21 PM
I assume we're waiting for Razorback/Val? I'll post Talon's actions now and adjust if anything Val does affects them.

Its foe defeated, Talon turns its attention to the mêlée on the other side of the room. Sighting an opponent through the tangle of web, it launches a blast of energy at the target before moving to support Feodore and Elysia.

Standard: Eldritch Blast at Be3. Ranged Touch Attack: [roll0] (includes -4 for firing into mêlée, but no adjustments for cover). Damage: [roll1].

Move: 15' to U10.

razorback
2015-02-12, 08:41 AM
Val, seeing everyone battling in melee, hesitates for a moment before stepping up and tries to take the one closest to him from his flank.

Sorry guys, thought I posted OOC that I'm out of town until Monday on work.
I'll post when I can but if I'm hanging up the action and someone wants to take control of Val, by all means, do.

Valhandele

AC ~10 Current ~ 10
HP ~ 22; Current ~ 16

Move action
Move to U10

Standard Action
Rapier against BE3
[roll0]

Crit Conf
[roll1]

Damage
[roll2]

Effects~

JBarca
2015-02-12, 10:17 AM
The Elf steps forward and pierces his target with his blade, leaving the man breathing heavily... But only for a moment, before Talon's blast leaves the figure sprawled on the floor, completely unmoving.

Be3 is down. Elysia, it's you then Feodore.
Dexam: You can modify Talon' movement (or move action) since Val moved to U10 before you acted, technically. Feel free to just post in the OoC where you'd like to be. Thanks

Logain Ablar
2015-02-12, 11:03 AM
Elysia

Elysia watches Be3 drop, she decides to re-priorities her targets, and instead of finishing the caster, thrusts at the rogue trapped between her and Feodore.

Attack: [roll0] (Includes flanking bonus)
Damage: [roll1] Piercing

As her sword drives home, she calls out to the others, "Let's try to take this last one alive so we can question it!"

JBarca
2015-02-12, 11:37 AM
Elysia's attack drops her foe, leaving but one conscious. Feodore steps forward and brings the hilts of his blades down on the prone caster. The man is able to twist away from one blow, though the other takes him in the head. He immediately throws his hands up, though. "Alright! I surrender!"
You're now in a room full of benches, with a robed man lying flat on his back with his hands in the air, covered in some sort of thick, slick substance and webbing.

redzimmer
2015-02-12, 12:14 PM
Feodore

"Did those people in the cells surrender to you?! Did they beg you for mercy?!"[/color] Angry spittle runs down Feodore's face as he caresses the blade against the prisoner's face.

"I am going to press this blade into you eye, while I press its sister into your groin. They are very sharp and will not take long to slice your favourite round bits in half. TELL! ME! WHY!"

His voice drops to a near inaudible whisper.

"...should I let you live?"

[roll0]

Could he spontaneous some CLW my way? Heal plz?

Logain Ablar
2015-02-12, 12:56 PM
Elysia

"Val, if you could please dismiss your grease spell? We don't want our friend here slipping away. But you might want to leave the web for now. Who knows what might be coming through the far side of this chamber.

Assuming he does, or just waiting the 10 seconds or so it'll take the spell to expire, Elysia crouches down near the fallen man, and uses his robes to wipe the blood from her sword. Then she puts a hand on Feodore's shoulder.

"Easy friend, there will be time enough for that later, if need be."

She looks at the cowering figure, then drags him out of the webbing.

"I am going to tie you up now. Just a precaution you understand, but if you cooperate, then I give you my word no harm will come to you by my hand. Now, tell us about these cages in the next room.

Use Rope to Bind him (Take 10)=34
Diplomacy: 1d20+4

Logain Ablar
2015-02-12, 12:59 PM
and because I screwed up the roller syntax [roll0]

JBarca
2015-02-12, 02:25 PM
Wow, Logain... What did you do to the dice on this forum? They hate you.

The man attempts to inch away from Feodore's blades.
"Mercy? The Chromatic Queen offers no mercy. They were needed, they were taken."

As Elysia asks here question, the man does something akin to shrugging, bound as he is.

"They're cages. Made of iron, I suppose. For keeping the prisoners in, of course."

Sure, redzimmer. [roll0]
Everyone: Your new partymember will hopefully join up soon, making Lo-Kag obsolete. He'll probably just wander off at that point, if no one has any major objections to that.

Dexam
2015-02-13, 12:43 AM
Dexam: You can modify Talon' movement (or move action) since Val moved to U10 before you acted, technically. Feel free to just post in the OoC where you'd like to be. Thanks

Kind of a moot point now...:smalltongue:

Talon

Talon, hands no longer crackling with eldritch energies, approaches the bound man. "Keys to the cages - where are they? How many other followers of this Chromatic Queen are there within this structure? Your continued existence will depend on the truthfulness of your answers."

Intimidate:[roll0]

razorback
2015-02-14, 08:51 AM
Val, with a nod, dismisses his magic as he sheathes his rapier and retrieves his bow.

JBarca
2015-02-14, 01:40 PM
The man smiles. "Trilkar's got the keys, of course." He jerks his head to the door at the back of the room.

redzimmer
2015-02-15, 08:19 PM
Feodore

"Tell me, how do you think her Dark Majesty will reward you the afterlife now?"

Feodore puts away his blades.

"Nothing you have done up to this point will wash away your failure to stop us from desecrating this holy place and undoing all of your work. Tiamat is not a forgiving mistress, is she?"

Feodore sweeps a hand at the room they are in.

No, I think the only way to protect your mortal soul is to find a way to atone all of your crime and beg Bahamut for sanctuary. No chance of that if I kill you now, that's for sure. Convince me to not send you to her right now..."

Dexam
2015-02-16, 01:34 AM
Talon

"What of the other inhabitants of this structure? Who is this Chromatic Queen? What interest does that individual have with the village Elsircross? For what purpose were prisoners required?"

Talon glances at Feodore. "Might this individual suggest that a more appropriate mercy would be the one shown to the prisoners - a slow death from thirst or starvation in an iron cage?" It turns its green glowing gaze back to the captive. "The lack of keys would be only a minor impediment, as this individual is sure that you could be made to fit through the bars, with sufficiently applied force..."

JBarca
2015-02-16, 09:45 AM
"Beg Bahamut... The Chromatic Queen has given commands, and I've followed them. I am obedient and she will reward me. Kill me if you want, I suppose." Definitely bold words from a man who visibly relaxes and sighs when the blades are put away.

"I won't betray my brothers, and the Chromatic Queen is the monarch of the Dragons; Tiamat. We needed prisoners to ensure our safety. Look. Just go talk to Trilkar. He'll explain everything." He smiles with clearly forced enthusiasm.

Logain Ablar
2015-02-17, 11:06 PM
Elysia

"Well, I suppose we should toss him in their prison until we can find something else."

She starts dragging him feet first towards the other room (with all the cells in it) When she gets there she starts checking the doors to see if any of them are unlocked. If they are, she tosses him in there. If not, she leaves him with his face next to the cage with the creature in it

Dexam
2015-02-19, 10:12 AM
Talon

Talon helps Elysia move their captive into the cage room. It then proceeds to examine the creatures and bodies in the cages a bit more closely, followed by looking in the buckets and opening the small wooden door at the back of the room.

redzimmer
2015-02-19, 11:31 AM
Feodore

"Interrogation never was my strong point anyway," the halfling says with a shrug. He heads to the still living captives cages.

"We are here to rescue you. If you can speak and understand, please let me know."

JBarca
2015-02-19, 05:27 PM
Dragging the man to the prison room, you're greeted by a glare from the draconic creature that yet lives, as well as one of the prone humanoid forms staring, looking more than a little hopeful. "H-Hello? Who are you? Please... Help me!"

The other humanoids are dead, likely of starvation; they're thin and the flesh is merely hanging onto their bones. Both were human, by the looks of it. They, like the living man, wear rags.

The draconic-looking creatures are the size of large dogs for the most part, and covered in scales. They too are thin and haggard. One, slightly smaller than the other two, sits in its cage, looking rather angry. It glares at you. When Feodore speaks, it glares at him, backing farther into the corner.

You recognize these creatures as "Felldrakes," which are normally good-aligned draconic creatures. They're distant relatives to full Dragons, and spend their days defending woods from evil creatures. There are several typs of Felldrakes. The two larger ones are known as "Crested," and are famous for slamming into foes with their large, curved horns. The smaller one is of the "Spitting" variety, capable of throwing out globs of caustic liquid at foes.
The Drakes are normally capable of speech.

The buckets are filthy, but empty. The back room is full of rotted meat and body parts of various types, some of which looks disturbingly humanoid. Those in the party with noses smell a sickening stench, and are likely glad they're not standing next to the metal man.

razorback
2015-02-20, 02:51 PM
Valhandele looks horrified by treatment of the prisoners and rushes over to the cages, trying to work the locks.

"Come on everyone, lets get them out of here and " and with a nod to Elysia "throw him in those cells and see how he likes it."

Hopefully these are easy to open otherwise Val isn't going to be of much use.

Dexam
2015-02-22, 08:45 AM
Talon

The living construct's eyes blaze brightly, a sign that the its companions would now come to realise as a sign that Talon was angry or upset.

Talon moves to the cage containing the live felldrake and looks for a way to open it, examining the lock (if any) to see how easily it might be forced if barred.

JBarca
2015-02-24, 05:39 PM
The locks are all cheap, though sturdy, Val's work on the Human's lock yields no immediate results, though it, and all the others, look like they could be forced without too much effort. The man looks hopeful as Val begins work, the Drake looks suspicious.

Hey all. I'm incredibly sorry for the delay. I was very ill this weekend (like, "The plot of Yu-Gi-Oh! is too complicated to follow" feverish), and just now had the opportunity and energy to post. Thanks for your patience.

Dexam
2015-02-24, 08:10 PM
Talon

Seeing that the lock on the drake's cage appears to be relatively weak, Talon sets about trying to force it open. If its mithral-clad hands are not enough, Talon retrieves a hammer and an iron spike from its pack and uses them to smash the lock.

Strength check to force the lock: [roll0], or take 20 for 23 if that fails.

Note to self: invest in a crowbar at the next available opportunity.

JBarca
2015-02-25, 05:17 PM
The lock shatters in Talon's hands, and it is able to swings the rusty door open. The Drake hisses and backs away from the metal creature, clearly terrified.

Dexam
2015-02-25, 08:36 PM
Talon

Talon steps clear of the open cage and points towards the tunnel leading to where they entered. "Freedom is that way; the choice is yours to take it or not." The construct is uncertain if the drake even understands, but that is no longer its concern; it walks over to assist Val with opening the cage of the imprisoned humanoid.

Strength check to force the lock: [roll0]

razorback
2015-02-26, 09:03 AM
Val nods and moves out of the way of Talon, going to the drake. He speaks soothingly to the creature and tries to guide it out of the cage.

JBarca
2015-02-26, 09:46 AM
Talon easily breaks the second lock, and the man within falls forward. "Thank you! Thank you so much!"

The Drake stays in the corner, eyeing Val suspiciously. It glances to the exit, clearly taking note of the number of other individuals within the room, then shrinks back more.

redzimmer
2015-02-26, 12:48 PM
Feodore

"Can any of us speak the dragon tongue? The poor fellow might be more agreeable if she(?) can understand us."

razorback
2015-02-26, 04:45 PM
'Be at peace, old blood. We are here to help you, to release you from your prison and to eradicate these followers of Tiamat, to to harm you. Is there anything you can tell us of this vile place?"

JBarca
2015-02-26, 06:11 PM
The Drake starts as Val begins to speak, then moves cautiously forward. It inches into the room, eyeing the party constantly, jumping at any movement. When it is nearer to the exit than the party, it turns and flees headlong, claws skittering across the stone as it rounds the corner.

Logain Ablar
2015-02-28, 12:07 PM
Elysia

"Well, I suppose we had better go check the other room, and then go chase down the one who escaped. We need to clear these villains out of their nest.

JBarca
2015-03-02, 12:04 AM
The newly freed individual looks around the room, clearly nervous.

"Um... Can I go? I really appreciate the freedom, but..."

razorback
2015-03-02, 09:03 AM
As the drake flees the area, Valhandele smiles before turning back. "But what?" as he nocks an arrow to his bow. "There is at least one that got away and we need to hunt him down."

redzimmer
2015-03-02, 11:46 AM
Feodore

"You should stay near, in case we encounter more cultists. Also, the woods are dark and full of dangers. You will be safer in our company.

Feodore pricks an ear to see if he can hear the remaining cultists.

[roll0]

JBarca
2015-03-02, 04:30 PM
"But I don't, y'know, want to get in the way. Or hurt..."

Feodore hears his party and not much else, save for the quickly vanishing sound of the fleeing Drake.

redzimmer
2015-03-02, 05:03 PM
Feodore

"Well be careful, rescues where there rescuee kills themselves are looked on poorly."

Feodore turns to his companions.

"Well, I'm sure Hades needs new petitioners. Shall we expedite their journey?"

Dexam
2015-03-03, 09:59 PM
Talon

Talon turns to the stranger and points a large metal finger to the path that the drake just ran down. "The exit is in that direction, if you choose to take it. Or you may remain here until we have dealt with the inhabitants of this structure, or they have captured or destroyed us. Or you may follow along behind this group. Each option carries its own risks; you are an individual with the freedom to make your own choices."

That said, Talon marches out of the room and heads to the closed double wooden doors opposite the cage room. It pauses to check if the others are following, and then opens them.

razorback
2015-03-04, 09:34 AM
Valhandele shrugs his shoulders and says "As our metal friend has said, the choice is yours but we need to deal with what's in here. The longer we wait, the more time we give them to either flee with valuable information or prepare traps against our assault." With a nod, he follows Talon, bow with arrow nocked.

redzimmer
2015-03-04, 11:27 AM
Feodore [/b]

"Right! Let's smite the wicked and suchlike!"

Blades and spells ready, Feodore rushes to keep up with Talon.

JBarca
2015-03-04, 04:33 PM
As Talon throws open the doors, a man wearing nothing but loose trousers and looking like he's just been woken from a long sleep, lunges forward with a dagger. The Warforged's surprise allows its foe to strike a weak point, and the metallic shell is punctured. A second man, wearing the same clothing and disheveled expression, also stabs at Talon, but its metal exterior saves it from harm this time. Both men are completely hairless, and their arms are covered in (admittedly low quality) tattoos of scales.

Talon, take 6 damage.

Init:
Elysia: 22
Talon: 20
Foe: 17
Val: 15
Feodore: 9

MAP (http://i.imgur.com/w3wr3Qo.png)

Lines of beds and cots fill this room. Most seem unused, clean and fresh. About a dozen seem to have been slept in recently, and four have their sheets piled up on the ground, as if someone had just recently jumped out of them in a hurry. There is a wooden door on the far wall, and small chests under each bed. The room is otherwise totally unadorned, though clean.

Logain Ablar
2015-03-05, 12:36 AM
Elysia

Elysia moves past Feodore, and attempts to roll between the two enemies

10ft normal movement, 10ft tumble at 1/2 speed.
Tumble Checks
[roll0] to move through occupied square
[roll1] to avoid AoO from 2nd opponent

If 1st check succeeds, she'll end up in the same row as Talon and Val, directly behind one of the opponents. If not, she ends up beside Talon in front of the opponents.

Logain Ablar
2015-03-05, 12:40 AM
She comes to her feet and thrusts at the opponent flanked between her and Talon.

Crit Confirm (if 27 or higher)
Damage [roll1]

Logain Ablar
2015-03-05, 12:42 AM
Crit Confirm [roll0]

Dexam
2015-03-05, 02:55 AM
Talon

Talon grunts in surprise as the dagger punches through the mithral plates that clad its body. A thumbnail-sized clear gem attached to the construct's chest plate glows briefly at the contact, preventing the blade from sinking in as far as the assailant might have hoped. Still, a thin trickle of blue-black liquid leaks from the puncture wound.

Silently, Talon raises its hands and arcane flames run down its arms to form foot-long claws, which it then uses to slash and punch at the enemy.

Ironward Diamond prevents 3 points of damage; 27/30 damage remaining today.

Hit Points: 30/33

Full attack with Eldritch Claws at the enemy damaged by Elysia. If he has dropped, or drops after Talon's first attack, switch to the second target.

Claw 1: attack (1d20+6); damage (1d4+4) bludgeoning (2d6) magical.

Claw 2: attack (1d20+6); damage (1d4+4) bludgeoning (2d6) magical.

Dexam
2015-03-05, 02:57 AM
I messed up the rolls in the previous post. :smallredface:

Claw 1: attack [roll0]; damage [roll1] bludgeoning [roll2] magical.

Claw 2: attack [roll3]; damage [roll4] bludgeoning [roll5] magical.

redzimmer
2015-03-05, 08:54 PM
Feodore

"Fine, enough diplomacy."

The halfling watches as Elysia and the warforged Talon rip into their attackers. Arcane power sits on the tip of his tongue, ready to contribute if the foes still stand.

Er, yeah.

JBarca
2015-03-06, 01:54 PM
Gah! Really sorry, y'all! I missed Logain's posts (I missed three posts. I think I am blind) and was waiting for that before responding.

Elysia's roll lands her behind her foes, where she is able to quickly stab one. Her blow strikes true, gutting the man where he stands. The corpse lands at her feat with no sound save for the thick "thump" of deadweight striking stone.

You see two more men, dressed the same way, hiding around the corner. When they see you kill their ally in one strike, they hesitate a moment. One (about fifteen feet into the room, "Es" on the map) drops his blade and hold his hands up.

A thin clanging sound echoes from within the large room in front of the party.

Talon, seeing the first man killed, rips into the remaining individual. Its claws shred the man's flesh, and the limp form collapses to the ground immediately.

A third man, also covered in tattoos, steps from around the corner of the room and stabs at Elysia with a knife.

[roll0]
Damage [roll1]

Elysia, take 2 damage.

Val, then Feodore.

MAP (http://i.imgur.com/qeY5aB4.png)

Again, very sorry for the delay, guys.

Logain Ablar
2015-03-06, 02:30 PM
Elysia

Elysia calls out a warning to the rest of the party (Yay Free Actions!)

"Another one around the corner."
Does the corner give me cover relative to the enemy that dropped the knife?

JBarca
2015-03-06, 04:11 PM
Yes, it does. In case it wasn't clear, the hands are up in an "I surrender" style, not a "I'm casting spells" style. Not that he's not in the process of magic-ing you (who knows, but I just want to make sure I wasn't too unclear.

razorback
2015-03-07, 10:27 AM
Seeing the man still fighting, Val takes aim and fires at the last remaining man he can see.

Valhandele

AC ~10 Current ~ 10
HP ~ 22; Current ~ 16

Standard Action
Shot bow at E

[roll0] +4 to hit but -4 from cover

Crit Conf
[roll1]

Damage
[roll2]

Effects~

redzimmer
2015-03-07, 12:11 PM
Feodore

Feodore walks close to the surrendering man and casts color spray. He could be merciful if they surrender, but he didn't have to be nice.

2 HD or less

The creature is unconscious, blinded, and stunned for 2d4 rounds, then blinded and stunned for 1d4 rounds, and then stunned for 1 round. (Only living creatures are knocked unconscious.)
3 or 4 HD

The creature is blinded and stunned for 1d4 rounds, then stunned for 1 round.
5 or more HD

The creature is stunned for 1 round.

Sightless creatures are not affected by color spray.

JBarca
2015-03-08, 03:24 PM
Val's arrow flies true, striking the man in his gut. He doubles over with pain before standing again, his eyes alight with anger and determination.

As Feodore makes his way through the combat and points, a burst of color strikes his foe full in the face. The man is too surprised by this to defend himself, or even blink, and the waves of light render him completely unconscious.

Unconscious for [roll0] rounds.
Blinded for another [roll1] rounds
Then Stunned another 1 round.

Elysia, then Talon. "Es" is unconscious. "E" is just hurt.

Logain Ablar
2015-03-08, 09:40 PM
Elysia

Elysia turns and attacks the man that stabbed her

Crit Confirm (25+):[roll1]
Damage [roll2] Slashing