PDA

View Full Version : Healing by Damaging

Ruethgar
2014-12-01, 04:28 PM
Is there any way to heal from damaging others apart from Devoted Spirit and Manifest Life? Manifest life would be perfect if I could get it at a lower level and more often, but as it is, focusing on it is unwieldy. I want a character similar to my Warcraft Discipline Priest, and the ability to, at a range, heal the party by damaging is my favorite part. I did find the homebrew spell Transpond Minor Wounds which can be boosted into usability with side effects and metamagic cheese, but I was looking for something a little more official. Any suggestions?

Flickerdart
2014-12-01, 04:32 PM
Hostile Empathic Transfer is where you want to be.

Rubik
2014-12-01, 05:06 PM
Hostile Empathic Transfer is where you want to be.This, basically. You take your damage and transfer it to another, thereby healing yourself.

There're also the Claws of the Vampire and Vampiric Blade psionic powers, as well as the vampiric weapon enhancement.

D4rkh0rus
2014-12-01, 05:12 PM
I don't know much about Disc type healing. but If you want to heal your allies by attacking them with a weapon, you can always use eldritch Disciple (swift action turns your Eldritch Blast ((warlock class feature)) into positive energy, thus healing instead of damaging)

Doc_Maynot
2014-12-01, 05:16 PM
Also, one could convince one's group to take the feat that makes it so negative energy heals them and positive harms them, be a Dread Necromancer and toss around mass/chained inflict or harms

Rebel7284
2014-12-01, 05:19 PM
Isn't there a weapon of wrathfull healing or something like that?

Doc_Maynot
2014-12-01, 05:23 PM
Isn't there a weapon of wrathfull healing or something like that?

Yeah, From Enemies and Allies. +3 Enhancement, heals you for half the damage you deal.

Ruethgar
2014-12-01, 07:34 PM
Empathic Transfer appears to have the same issue as the spell it copied, Bestow Wounds, in that you need to have taken damage for them to work. Wrathful Healing could work if I can finagle it right in a Prestige Race. Eldritch Disciple healing is much more like a Holy Priest than the Disc DPS I am pursuing here.

Decided to just go with this (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?386370-Healing-Transference-PEACH)

Extra Anchovies
2014-12-02, 02:15 PM
Also, one could convince one's group to take the feat that makes it so negative energy heals them and positive harms them, be a Dread Necromancer and toss around mass/chained inflict or harms

Or just be a DN and poke your friends. They get an at-will negative energy touch at level 1.

If your party can't spare the feats, though, just take Tomb-Tainted Soul yourself and dip Shadow Sun Ninja. Zap yourself with some negative energy, then zap an ally with some positive energy.

Milodiah
2014-12-02, 03:00 PM
Wasn't there a booze-doctor setup with some kind of poison-into-healing build?

Flickerdart
2014-12-02, 03:11 PM
Wasn't there a booze-doctor setup with some kind of poison-into-healing build?
You mean the Trouserfang Dwarf?

Ruethgar
2014-12-02, 03:28 PM
Here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?232822-The-Commoner-Handbook) is the drunken healer.

Dr. Jack Daniels: Male Mongrelfolk Commoner 1; CR ½; Medium Humanoid (human); HD 1d4+2; hp 6; Init +0; Spd 30 ft.; AC 10 (10 +0 dex), touch 10, flat-footed 10; Base Atk +0; Grp +0; Atk -2 melee (1d4+0/x2, 10ft.; dagger); SA; SQ Low-Light Vision, Sound Imitation, Immunity to Magic Sleep, ; AL CN; SV Fort +6, Ref -1, Will -1; Str 10, Dex 10, Con 14, Int 8, Wis 10, Cha 6
Skills and Feats: Craft (Liquor) +3 (4 ranks -1 int), Hide +4 (0 ranks +0 dex +4 racial bonus), Read/Write/Speak (Common & Mongrel), Sleight of Hand +4 (0 ranks +0 dex +4 racial bonus); Great Fortitude, Poison Healer and Shape Soulmeld (Lifebond Vestment).
Traits & Flaws: Hardy & Passionate; Noncombatant & Shaky
Equipment (9 gp [9 gp if crafted]; 43 lbs.): A Dagger (2 gp; 1 lb.), Traveler’s Outfit (1 gp; 5 lbs.), Artisan’s Tools (5 gp; 5 lbs.) and 4 gallons of Weak Ale (8 sp; 32 lbs.).

Acting as a reflection of the Doctor’s medical proficiency, Dr. Jack Daniels is a supernatural healer who draws his mystic ability from the bottom of a bottle. His basic operation is healing severely wounded individuals, dolling out ten hit points of healing (and five hit points of damage to himself). Afterward he begins to drink his weak ale and with it being a Fort DC of 10 he succeeds 80% of the time. Succeeding he heals two hit points, if he fails he merely gets drunk. It is a very good business plan for him. Beyond his role as a mystic healer Dr. Jack Daniels merely functions as the town drunk, one that the community can’t risk getting rid of should an emergency hit someone. In his down time he crafts his own beer, which is a nasty brew, for himself & others.

The Shadow Sun Ninja ability looks very nice, except that it takes two rounds to complete, it doesn't scale well, and it's a touch attack and unlike spells I can't extend the range.

Extra Anchovies
2014-12-02, 03:41 PM
The Shadow Sun Ninja ability looks very nice, except that it takes two rounds to complete, it doesn't scale well, and it's a touch attack and unlike spells I can't extend the range.

Still a better noncombat healing option than most. Beats Touch of Healing and the Draconic Vigor Aura because it can heal past half HP, and SSN isn't too bad of a PrC if you're already an initiator.

atemu1234
2014-12-03, 11:51 AM
I believe there was a spell from BoVD, as well as one from Spell Compendium, though their names elude me.

Ruethgar
2014-12-03, 03:32 PM
I ended up just making a different version (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?386370-Healing-Transference-PEACH) of Shield Other that deals with healing rather than damage. It isn't a great solution, but there are a lot of ways you heal yourself from damage and this just makes them partially interchangeable. Just like Shared Sacrifice, Pious Tithe becomes oh so much better with Chain Spell, mmm heals.