PDA

View Full Version : A interesting setting idea.

YossarianLives
2014-12-01, 05:17 PM
When I was at my friends house the other day the friend in question was playing the new pokemon game. While I was watching over his shoulder we joked about how dangerous it would be to live in a world where you got ambushed by deadly creatures and living coffins if you stepped in a bush. When I arrived back at home I thought about this a bit more in detail and I think it would make a very interesting setting.
Imagine a world not unlike that of pokemon but it had been overwhelmed by deadly creatures who were hard to fight and even harder tame and train. The PCs could be occupied trying to defend cities and towns from hoards of creatures or if they were evil amassing armies of them to conquer the world. Only the mostly skilled individuals could train the creatures and the common people had to constantly be on the lookout and watch their step.

What does the playground think?

Grinner
2014-12-01, 07:12 PM
You need to hammer out the specifics, but it sounds alright. I'm inclined to think it would play out like some kind of post-apocalyptic Exalted.

Also, the actual mechanics of fighting with monsters need to be worked out. Are you thinking something like Pokemon or like Monster Rancher?

You might find this (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/SoYouWantTo/WriteAMonSeries) helpful.

AkuArkaine
2014-12-01, 10:22 PM
Sounds like the type of world where summoners would excel.

Ninjadeadbeard
2014-12-02, 01:10 AM
So...Monster Punk? This intrigues me...put this in Worldbuilding.

How tamable are these monsters? Are we talking "Go Pikachu" or "domesticated animals"? Do their remains have strange properties ala Monster Hunter? I can see professional warriors wearing bone and scale armor harder than steel, wielding blades carved from monster teeth that can cut sunlight, or even sen/ /tences (Discworld: Reaper Man). And they're riding on two story tall rhinos that can fly!

EnglishKitsune
2014-12-02, 04:07 AM
I sadly can't link it but I remember an actual Pokemon RPG campaign log somewhere on the playground that was very similar.

Pokemon were vicious, preying on humans, and a lot of "captured" pokemon were under mind control, via the pokeball. If freed they often immediately turned on their trainers and well, it was never pleasant.

"Trainers" Were Military personnel tasked with protecting and enforcing the rules of the government, and being the only ones with the ability to control pokemon... It wasn't pretty. If I recall correctly, it started with Prof Oak's lab being burned down by Gary under orders.

But this does sound awesome, and I would love to see what you come up with. Hardest thing that comes to mind would be making a way to have/command all these monsters without it becoming a number cruncher or Wargame.

GorinichSerpant
2014-12-02, 09:05 AM
Many of the Pokemon used to be humans at some point, then became ghost types and some humans have psionic powers. So you could have people could give up their humanity for power and become literal monsters, as opposed to doing horrible acts being figuratively monsters. A bit like lichdom, only you have more variety of what kind of horrid abomination you become.

TheCountAlucard
2014-12-02, 10:36 AM
Reminds me of Pokethulhu. :smallamused:

YossarianLives
2014-12-02, 01:33 PM
I'll put some more thought into this. Maybe decide on a system and try to make it work better. Thanks for all your feedback! I'll post a another thread in a couple of months when I have more the details ironed out.

Reminds me of Pokethulhu. :smallamused:
How did you guess?

TheCountAlucard
2014-12-02, 01:38 PM
Because I've read Pokethulhu, and it just felt sorta similar...? :smallconfused:

It's akin to saying you're going to write a limited-perspective epic fantasy series that focuses on interpersonal relationships, politics, families, sexuality, moral ambiguity, easy violence, and the coming of winter, and people commenting on its similarity to the works of a certain bearded troll. :smalltongue:

AkuArkaine
2014-12-11, 09:49 PM
You could always try BESM: Cute and Fuzzy Cockfighting Seizure Monsters :smallbiggrin: