PDA

View Full Version : Rise of the Runelords [Continuation]

R-Group
2014-12-01, 06:12 PM
By now, several weeks have passed since the victorious return of the Wayward League to Sandpoint. The name is more or less a moniker gifted by the townsfolk, since the ragtag bunch of champions that raised to their defense against the Goblin menace belies any reasonable description. The League has seen several members come and gone: brave men who were tragically lost, perished, or worse in fulfilling their line of duty - but such is the life of those noble heroes who rise to the occasion. Their passing was sincerely mourned, though briefly; only the lucky few escape such a fate. For those folk, death is not a fearful surprise but a welcome inevitability.

And such a tour they had: even after only a month of service, the League has already filled several tomes within the Sandpoint chronicler's ledgers - with exploits ranging from the uncovering of a murderous plot from within the Kaijitsu family to overthrow the town, to the discovery and subsequent eradication of a den of murderous beasts hidden away beneath the very streets of Sandpoint themselves.

The remaining three members of the League: the Gnomish minstrel Breek, of the Sharp and Biting Tongue; Dun, Learned Evoker of the Heavens' Wrath; and finally Staln, Wisdom of the Mind's Desires. These few who have survived, returning from the treacherous heart of the Goblin hordes, the Keep Thistletop, bore their fallen ally and friend Karpir, The Raging Blade. The Half-Orc sell-sword was the most stalwart companion of the League, ever ready to place himself in danger rather than let any of his fellows be harmed. Though his remains were burned, his ancestral Greatsword is still in the League's possession, as well as the trophy he claimed after besting the traitorous Nualia in combat.

In fact, it is at Karpir's service that the League is approached by none other than the Sheriff of Sandpoint, Belor Hemlock. He pauses for a moment to stare into the glaring funeral fire, before hacking a rough cough and spitting phlegm to his side. A broad and yet somehow squat Shoanti man, his face bears an uncharacteristic grim gnarl, and he sullenly lights a long pipe. Flicking aside his match and the ash from his fingers, he takes a moment to remove his chain-mail cowl. Even in the dim light it is possible to see the ragged slash where his ear would have been; taken years ago in a brief clash with the Sandpoint Chopper during the infamous Late Unpleasantness five years prior.

The ceremony finished, the Sheriff beckons those remaining League members to follow him, where he draws them aside to the relative privacy of a nearby side-street. Glancing from side to side before speaking, he takes moment to compose himself before beginning.

"First, let me thanks you again for all you've done for Sandpoint. Damn lucky for me, since I might be needing your assistance again. Seems to me we've got somethin' on our hands here - somethin' I'd rather not involve anyone with if I don't need to. But what with all your credentials and what have you, you're the most likely to solve it.

Put simply, we've got a murderer in our midst - and damn if it don't look like he's only just getting started. Doubtless I don't have to remind you all what happened last time around we had such a trouble. More and more I figure what I've got right now is another Chopper.

But here's the truth of it: last night, the murderer struck at the sawmill. Two victims, as it were, and they're bad as anything I've seen. Man named Ibor Thorn found them early this morning, but he ran screaming rather than come to the Watch. So when my lads came and took a look, there was already plenty o' gawkers crowding the scene. By now we've got the Mill locked down, so it's all undisturbed. Believe it or not, though, that ain't even the worst of it. Those two poor fools aren't the only dead I've had to deal with - them's the second set of bodies, not the first.

Few days earlier a similar thing happened, and so far I've done the best I can to keep the whole business quiet. My men are good enough, but they're green as fresh grass. I can't rely on them for much more than keeping the streets clean (don't repeat that), so I've turned to your little League as the better choice. You all did a well enough job securing the Goblin outbreaks, so I imagine that you're capable enough to handle this too. So that's mostly it, what say you?"

ABrooks
2014-12-01, 09:54 PM
Did they seriously forget everyone's name except Breek? Also as for Lenin: Better dead than red?
I'll help, under one condition: you have to let me take part of the late glassmakers' building and open a clinic there. It's been quite a while, so I'd like to get back to my research.

R-Group
2014-12-01, 10:00 PM
Well, technically they've never met either Weathers or your new characters before. But more importantly, I'd rather not have to write out those endlessly aggravating names - so I changed them. It hardly matters anyway, since for all intents and purposes each of you is your character.

And I'm not sure what to do about Lenin. Maybe you'll run into him later on as a traitor and villain to the Wayward League? Or maybe he just never existed in the first place.

R-Group
2014-12-01, 10:21 PM
While this bears further discussion, I would prefer it be moved to the other Thread. This only is for In Character posts only, and anything that involves gameplay (rolls and etc.).

Trystero
2014-12-02, 03:27 PM
Ymir the flame (Eli's Celestial Sorcerer):
In memory of Serenity Moonflower, we will certainly aid! Now I propose two courses of action: first, we locate and inquire of this fellow Ibor Thorn. Second, considering the seeming resemblance of the current circumstances to the late unpleasantness, namely, the treachery of Nualia with the goblins and these stoot-esque murders, it would be prudent to talk to someone very familiar with the town's recent history and peripheral circumstances. Would you happen to know of such a person Sherif?

ABrooks
2014-12-02, 03:58 PM
Ymir, you're an idiot if you intend to catch a murderer not only without pay, but also in the honor of a depraved transvestite of orcish blood. Now, will you accept my condition or not, sheriff?

Trystero
2014-12-02, 04:00 PM
And you are but an amoral Austrian who has been effectively disproved by modern Neuroscience. Sheriff this man will be of no use in these trying times, Dun, Breek and I will aid you in the investigation free of charge.

ABrooks
2014-12-02, 04:23 PM
Well, have fun getting murdered. I'll be at the bar, buying property and being a productive member of society, unless that's assured to me by assisting. Feel free to drop by if your "free love" and "benevolence" leave you and you realize the idiotic and servile nature of your morals, and you take a shower.

Trystero
2014-12-02, 04:33 PM
Well Sheriff now that he's gone let's get down to brass tacks. Do we A. know where Ibor Thorn is? B. A town sage or busybody?

R-Group
2014-12-02, 07:08 PM
There's a twitch in the Sheriff's eye as the Psychiatrist turns to leave the alley, and he quickly grabs the slighter man's shoulder before he can leave. He chuckles for a few moments, though there's hardly any humor to it.

"I suppose I'll give you your opinions Doctor, especially since your from out of town. Seems that most folks just can't bring themselves to quite understand the social dynamic of our humble port-town. First and foremost, son, the Kaijitsu property isn't available for you or anyone else besides the remaining Kaijitsu family - remember Ameiko, over in the Rusty Dragon? Now that he father and half-brother are dead, she's the owner of the Glasshouse. It's hers to do with as she pleases, not yours. Nor, do I expect, with that sort of a demanding attitude, will it ever be yours.

Second, where in damn and blast did you get the idea that this was a paid situation? Your entire little League has been Deputized as members of the Town Watch as of two weeks ago, in case you forgot. So that means your taking orders from me - either get to work or get moving.

Third, I can't even say that we need another quack of a brain-doc here in town. That fool Habe in his Sanatorium over the hill is enough as we can handle already, and he's quite a bit less insolent than you are, sir. Course, if'n you had let me talk, and get around to explaining, then you might've learned as much: there's a survivor of the first set of murders, though he's more than a little bit mussed in the head. I had him sent to Habe's care once I couldn't get anything more out of him."

Finishing his speech, the Sheriff releases the Psychiatrist and turns to the other he'd gathered in the Alleyway.

"Now, for those of you still interested in a contributing to society some, you all can follow me to the Watch-House and I set you up with the rest that I know. Maybe even I can get us back into the Lumber Mill before it gets too dark tonight. Then we'll set about with what leads we can find. Now then, are there any more concerns, or can we move?"

ABrooks
2014-12-02, 09:49 PM
If there's nothing in it for me except "helping society" by risking my life, I think I'll head over to the sanatorium to see if my talents can be of use, sir. I am absolutely certain that my work will prove much more important than catching some miscreant, and it wasn't so long ago that I saw someone twice my size be mauled to death because an "errand" you gave him went sour. Again, until very recently, I was trapped because of that half-elf bastard's daddy issues, watched some half-orc get eviscerated, barely escaped with my own life, and then carried his body into town for a proper burial. If that's what happens when you ask someone to help, and don't give them any sort of compensation for doing so, I think I'll take my chances elsewhere, or literally anywhere else. Diplomacy check (if acceptable) [roll0]

ForceFlex
2014-12-04, 06:26 PM
I'm with Mengele on this one. I only offered to help because there was something in it for me. Treasure and money. If we are deputized, that means we're employed, right? Like a salary, some insurance, benefits. What about somewhere to sleep? Am I expected to spend all of my hard-earned coin at the inn because the sheriff refuses to pay his deputes?
sI'm not opposed to helping you, but I don't work for free.
[roll0]