PDA

View Full Version : DM Help How Have Canon Simulacrums Shed Their Limitations?

unseenmage
2014-12-01, 08:05 PM
Just like it says on the tin, I'm looking for methods that canon Simulacrums, Mirror Duplicates, Clones, etc etc have shed their limitations and become real people.

Also feel free to interpret those methods into D&D 3.5 and/or PF mechanics if you like. This is all more for use from the DM's perspective than the players too.

unseenmage
2014-12-02, 03:09 AM
I am aware of Manshoon and his many Clones.
And I've heard tell of Alias and her sisters? No clue who they are.

I'm remembering an adventure module somewhere with a ritual or room that allowed the Simulacrum of a villainess to become a real person. Cannot for the life of me remember where that was from though.

jedipotter
2014-12-02, 04:21 AM

Alias was a unique ''custom construct type creature'' an animated flesh construct, back from the cool days of D&D when you could just say ''she is something unique'' and you did not have to answer to a Player Tribunal that would demand to know what page she was found in the rule book.

Alias was made ''real'' when her creators took a paladin and attempted to rip his soul out and give it to the construct(buy a god). But instead the paladin's soul split into 13 parts, to give Alias and her 12 sister copies each a soul. The soul copied itself so everyone got a full soul and the paladin kept his....

And this all comes from: Once Upon a time the bard Finder wanted to have a legacy....but a legacy that sung his songs only the way he sung them exactly with no changes or ''interpretations''. He tried a normal clone, but the clone did not like to sing. So then he got the idea of making a flesh construct with a mind he could make himself and he's make sure he programed in the love for his exact music. But the flesh constructs kept overheating and dying from the 'friction' of having too much magic in them, but no soul. Finder tried to cool down the flesh construct, with a shard of para elemental ice....but it exploded and hurt and killed people. So Finder was locked away in prison. Later, several bad guys and groups of bad guys found out about his work, and thought his flesh constructs would make great agents for all sorts of things. So that brings us to the creation of Alias and her sisters.

DeltaEmil
2014-12-02, 05:01 AM
I am aware of Manshoon and his many Clones.

I'm remembering an adventure module somewhere with a ritual or room that allowed the Simulacrum of a villainess to become a real person. Cannot for the life of me remember where that was from though.That's in the adventure module "Expedition to the Ruins of Greyhawk".
The main villain, the simulacrum of Iggwilv, tries to become the real deal by absorbing the powers of some gods.

toapat
2014-12-02, 07:05 AM
unfortunately, this is sorta the realm of wild magic and storytelling over mechanics, as well as wish, miracle, and epic spellcasting.

unseenmage
2014-12-02, 08:30 AM
unfortunately, this is sorta the realm of wild magic and storytelling over mechanics, as well as wish, miracle, and epic spellcasting.

Which is why I'm curious about all the ways that this story has been told. :smallsmile:

There's also Artifact Spells from Eberron too. Not to mention Artifacts and the direct intervention of deities. (kind of the same thing)

Darrin
2014-12-02, 08:45 AM
Tippy did it.

Rubik
2014-12-02, 10:08 AM
If the simulacrum/clone/ice assassin/whatever is immune to mind-affecting affects due to template or type, Polymorph/Metamorphosis/Greater Metamorphosis/PAO/Shapechange would negate that immunity. Then it would merely have to swap bodies with someone, such as through (True) Mind Switch, Wish, etc.

Or it could utilize the shapeshifting magic as noted above, followed by Fusion with another creature and Astral Seed, prior to seppuku.

Heck, it wouldn't even need Fusion or Astral Seed; it could just shapeshift its way out of its limitation, then boost itself while shapeshifted.

If it's not a template limitation, determine what kind of "ability" the limitation is: Na, Ex, or Su (as it couldn't be Sp, or Ps), then apply the Ability Rip or Trait Removal spells, as needed. Na abilities should be removable via shapeshifting magics.