PDA

View Full Version : Optimization Optimizing Quorbred

Jeff the Green
2014-12-01, 11:17 PM
Quorbred is a template stuck out of sight in Secrets of Sarlona that, while making it impossible for you to use psionics, gives a number of benefits, including an Intelligence increase, immunity to fear, resistance to divination, SR, and Hostile Mind and Mental Resistance as bonus feats. The biggy, however, is Intellectual: all your DCs based on Charisma or Wisdom (which are reduced by the template) are instead based on Intelligence.

I really want to use this, but I'm having a hard time coming up with things other than making Bardic Sage much less MAD. Unfortunately Bardic Sage isn't great on other fronts either. Ideas?

atemu1234
2014-12-01, 11:27 PM
I don't have much, but maybe a Favored Soul? MAD, but not horrible.

Note that I haven't seen the template in question, though I think I (or my brother) own the book.

Edit: Tracked down my copy. Definitely want to see a Quorbred Fraal Wizard. I like the idea of the template on an archivist.

Sith_Happens
2014-12-02, 12:05 AM
Skill-monkey Warlocks, DFAs, and Binders would all love this. I could see some Chameleons using it too (for INT-based DCs in Divine Focus).

Doc_Maynot
2014-12-02, 12:14 AM
Mix with Academic Priest from one of the Dragonlance books (Battle of the Twins or something to that effect). Any divine casting class turns to an Int class. Like use it for Chameleon, or to make Wiz/Cleric Theurges a bit better.

animewatcha
2014-12-02, 01:26 AM
quorbred duskblade?

Feint's End
2014-12-02, 02:17 AM
Mix with Academic Priest from one of the Dragonlance books (Battle of the Twins or something to that effect). Any divine casting class turns to an Int class. Like use it for Chameleon, or to make Wiz/Cleric Theurges a bit better.

Well you do still need decent stats so you can cast your highest level spells. Not sure if it's that big of a win in the end.
How much la does it add?

torrasque666
2014-12-02, 02:29 AM
I SO want to try out a quorbred Karsite now. No casting and no manifesting. Welp, time to go be the best warblade/crusader ever.

Jeff the Green
2014-12-02, 02:31 AM
How much la does it add?

+2. Buy-offable (buyable-off?), but defnitely not worth the LA without it.

I SO want to try out a quorbred Karsite now. No casting and no manifesting. Welp, time to go be the best warblade/crusader ever.

Now we need to figure out a way to make them unable to bind vestiges or speak truespeech.

Doc_Maynot
2014-12-02, 10:11 AM
Well you do still need decent stats so you can cast your highest level spells. Not sure if it's that big of a win in the end.
How much la does it add?

Actually, you don't even need that. The feat already changes everything but DC determination.

mabriss lethe
2014-12-02, 11:02 AM
+2. Buy-offable (buyable-off?), but defnitely not worth the LA without it.

Now we need to figure out a way to make them unable to bind vestiges or speak truespeech.

Removing their ability to use Truename magic would be simple. Give them levels in Truenamer. It seems to do the trick for everyone else.

Feint's End
2014-12-02, 11:09 AM
Actually, you don't even need that. The feat already changes everything but DC determination.
Fair point then

Academic priest seems the overall more useful things then. The combination is nice though.

Darrin
2014-12-02, 01:24 PM
Hmm. How does Antipsionic (Ex) interact with the Magic mantle? Does this eliminate the restriction, or apply it to all magic abilities as well?

Zaq
2014-12-02, 01:49 PM
Utterances have save DCs based off of CHA, so making them based off of INT would make Truenamers happy.

Mysteries also use CHA for their save DCs, even though you need INT of a certain level to cast them. So this could be a boon for Shadowcasters as well.