PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Looking for peace of mind with friend's homebrew class

MercantileOtter
2014-12-02, 02:49 AM
A friend of mine designed his own pathfinder class that has apparently been used to great effect in several games, and is apparently fun to play.
Unfortunately, the he claims the best input he got on it was from a person on reddit forums who believed you automatically added Dex to damage for bows, so I am not necessarily trusting the feedback he's gotten on it.
I love the concept, and this is a person who knows their homebrew well, so I don't expect it's bad, or even problematic, but I am not a game designer, and know nothing about game balance or homebrewwing. Nothing I see in it seems bad to me, but I would like to see other people's opinions on it before anyone plays it in one of our games, as I tend to overly worry about this stuff, and this is the best place I know of to get feedback about homebrew.

Without further ado, the Jäger (https://docs.google.com/document/d/1tPaPdq49QcCGMFgicTTrFs8vqSGQFZbpZHN_b4GK0RQ/mobilebasic)

(Don't worry, I got his permission to post the link here and ask what people thought.)

General Patton
2014-12-02, 03:31 PM
It looks ok to me. Would I be correct in assuming your friend plays Monster Hunter?

Secret Wizard
2014-12-02, 10:08 PM
1. I don't like the % bonuses on Monstrous Arms, it can be easily exploitable.

2. Those passive bonuses rack up really fast.

3. A lot of the disciplines are overpowered in my view.

4. You should allow him to play this, but as he goes along, consider his power level and ask him to tweak features. Treat the game as a playtest.

MercantileOtter
2014-12-03, 03:49 AM
3. A lot of the disciplines are overpowered in my view.

Any of them in particular jump out as problems?

Secret Wizard
2014-12-05, 12:38 AM
Not particularly, but they are quite strong and the class already has many features. They may be balanced because the class gets no extra feats though.

Amechra
2014-12-05, 12:50 AM
Some things that jump out at me:

Jäger’s Pack: It needs to be easier to recover spent materials; who wants to wait four and a half days for their buddy to reload their class feature? Dial it back to 8 hours.

Monstrous Arms: Critical Threat Range should just say that it improves the weapon's critical threat range by 1. It should also mention whether or not they stack. (I'd also suggest that the Bleed Damage ability be decoupled from the damage dice of the weapon. Something like 1d4 bleed damage?)

Natural Potions: Do these potions cost XP? And are they subject to the normal limit of creating only one potion per day? I notice a disturbing trend of putting a GP cost on class features; really, they should have their costs (GP and XP) waived as part of Jäger’s Pack.

Everything else looks more-or-less fine, though I haven't given the Disciplines a good look-through; nothing jumped out at me while I was skimming them earlier, though.

Aergoth
2014-12-05, 10:04 AM
Natural Potions: Do these potions cost XP? And are they subject to the normal limit of creating only one potion per day? I notice a disturbing trend of putting a GP cost on class features; really, they should have their costs (GP and XP) waived as part of Jäger’s Pack.

As I recall, pathfinder negates XP costs for crafting items.

Amechra
2014-12-05, 11:26 AM
Ah, I missed the fact that it said Pathfinder.

OP, would you mind putting the [Pathfinder] tag on the thread?

EDIT: And... it was already there. I'm going blind in my old age.

Kamai
2014-12-05, 01:26 PM
The only things that I'd like to see are class level maximums for the abilities in Monstrous Arms (DR 5/cold iron or 5/silver might warp encounters a little too much at very low levels), what should happen if they use a monster for Monstrous Arms that has an immunity (say a fire elemental), and to change the wording on critical threat range effects to "Increase the critical threat range by 1 after applying other effects that change the critical threat range."

Otherwise, I really like the class, though it'd be nice if he could throw in something small at 13, 17, and 19, just so the levels aren't completely dead, but not absolutely necessary.

MercantileOtter
2014-12-09, 03:50 AM
Alright, my friend has done some editing, taking advice from here. Most notably he did some level gating for monstrous arms, so you can't do everything at once right away.

Solaris
2014-12-10, 02:30 AM
I'd say it looks more or less reasonable, but I admit I haven't looked to carefully at it.

What's the group's optimization level? That'll tell us more about what you need to balance the class against than anything else.