PDA

View Full Version : [PF and 3.X] Published examples of when will saves are offered against illusions

Kraken
2014-12-02, 03:31 AM
Saving Throws and Illusions (Disbelief)

Creatures encountering an illusion usually do not receive saving throws to recognize it as illusory until they study it carefully or interact with it in some fashion.

A successful saving throw against an illusion reveals it to be false, but a figment or phantasm remains as a translucent outline.

A failed saving throw indicates that a character fails to notice something is amiss. A character faced with proof that an illusion isn’t real needs no saving throw. If any viewer successfully disbelieves an illusion and communicates this fact to others, each such viewer gains a saving throw with a +4 bonus.
Silent Image
Saving Throw: Will disbelief (if interacted with)

I've seen it debated back and forth what constitutes interacting with an illusion sufficiently in order to prompt a will save. It occurred to that there must be many examples of published adventure paths saying 'offer the players a will save when/if...' I can recall seeing instances of this, I just can't remember where. In collecting all these different cases, I'm curious to see if a clearer picture is painted in terms of design intent, regarding when you should get a save against illusions.

Edit: here's from from the shadowcrafter prestige class in Underdark (not an AP, but this is decent):

No Delusions (ex): At 9th level, a shadowcrafter has such complete mastery of illusion spells that he no longer needs to interact with them to merit a saving throw. If he can see or otherwise witness the illusory effect, he can attempt a save.

The Grue
2014-12-02, 04:27 AM
This article (http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/rg/20060221a) is pretty helpful. The rest of the series also has a lot of good information.

Kraken
2014-12-03, 05:36 PM
Even though Skip violates RAW in some of his articles, that one is actually useful because this thread is more about determining intent, which Skip's articles provide plenty of.