PDA

View Full Version : DM Help [5e DM help] can i do this legally?...

iskoaya
2014-12-02, 04:41 AM
i am making a blank campaign in Roll20 as a base for future games, inside this blank campaign will be the following:

1.) character sheets for every monster in the MM. with tokens and generic macros.
2.) handouts linking to other handouts, forming a master spell book with full descriptions copied from PHB (edited to correct copying errors)
3.) Handouts (only GM can see) linking to other handouts, forming a master treasure table list, copied from the DMG.
4.) Handouts linking to other handouts, forming a master list of abilities, feats, and other class options to include: class/race/background features, ect.

i would like to know if i fully reproduce the PHB. MM, and DMG in Roll 20, can i be banned or sued?

danweasel
2014-12-02, 06:38 AM
Any reproduction or unauthorized use of the material or artwork contained herein is prohibited without the express written permission of Wizards of the Coast

You should be fine to quote limited portions of the text under the "Fair Use" doctrine, although how much is nebulously defined. (if you are in the USA)

You likewise might have a reasonable defense to keep a digital backup copy strictly for personal use, but this is also not well-defined. (if you are in the USA)

Anything copied verbatim, like monster or spell descriptions is certainly not allowed. Ditto tables.

A simple list of feats, without descriptions, might be okay.

You definitely do not have the right to copy large chunks of copyrighted material and share them with others, and roll20 would be within their rights to remove all such content and ban you if you did. And I'm positive that if WotC ever did get on you, they'd argue that simply uploading the material to roll20 constituted sharing. Here (https://wiki.roll20.net/Terms_of_Service_and_Privacy_Policy#Notification_o f_Copyright_Infringement_.28DMCA_Policy.29) is roll20's written policy.

i would like to know if i fully reproduce the PHB. MM, and DMG in Roll 20, can i be banned or sued?

Absolutely. Even very partially reproducing anything in those books could get you sued.

JAL_1138
2014-12-02, 07:02 AM

Sued, and possibly face criminal charges.

Edit: The books aren't likely valuable enough to hit the dollar value for criminality, but might be if it's low enough, or there might be some other provision this trips that makes it rise to criminal level. But sued? Unquestionably yes, if they decided to.

iskoaya
2014-12-02, 07:47 AM
guess its back to 3.5

SpawnOfMorbo
2014-12-02, 09:41 PM
guess its back to 3.5

Wow, I have so many things to say to this and yet I shouldn't.

A lot of stuff with 3.5 isn't allowed to be reproduced in entirely either. I'm not sure why you would go back to that system. Dndtools even got shut down.

Demonic Spoon
2014-12-02, 09:50 PM
Nothing bad happens unless WotC

a) takes notice, and

b) Doesn't like it.

If you own the books and use #1-4 for your own use, they aren't going to know, let alone care. WotC is concerned with people reproducing copyrighted works to the point that people decide to use said reproduced copyrighted work instead of purchasing books.

Were you planning on handing off this blank module to the public or, worse, selling it on the marketplace?

Furthermore, historically, they've dealt with copyrighted works by sending a Cease and Desist letter rather than attempting to outright sue you. Unless you're personally profiting off of it, I don't even think they can (though obviously I am not a lawyer).

tl;dr unless you're doing something obviously wrong you'll be fine.

Envyus
2014-12-03, 12:20 AM
Honestly making macros and stuff for all of your things in a game won't be a problem. It's going to take quite a bit of work on your part and because the game is private anyhow no one is going to have a problem with it.

danweasel
2014-12-03, 12:58 AM
Nothing bad happens unless WotC

a) takes notice, and

b) Doesn't like it.

If you own the books and use #1-4 for your own use, they aren't going to know, let alone care.

I got the sense that the OP wanted to copy all that to a blank campaign so he had a common source to pull that info from for other campaigns. The moment he used any of that work in a public campaign, "personal use" goes out the window.

Anyway, the OP didn't ask if it was practical to do without WotC noticing, he asked if it was legal, which is 100% is not. Practically speaking, I agree with you. They aren't likely to know or care, just like they won't know or care if I print up some spell cards to give to my players who don't own PHBs.

hachface
2014-12-03, 02:22 PM
As a practical matter, if WotC somehow notices what you are doing they will almost certainly send you a cease-and-desist letter before taking formal legal action.

LtDarien
2014-12-03, 02:40 PM
As long as it is only for campaigns you run, you'll be fine.
You won't be able to legally share it with other groups, however, nor put it on the roll20 marketplace.