PDA

View Full Version : DM Help [3.0 -> 3.5] Helmed Horror

hymer
2014-12-02, 06:51 AM
In Monsters of Faerūn there's a CR 10 (!) Helmed Horror, which could be taken out toe-to-toe by a fifth level melee with a basic build. I suspect that was the case in 3.0 too, but in my next 3.5 campaign, I'll be playing in FR, and I expect Helmed Horrors to crop up. And I don't want this crooked thing in my campaign. :smallsmile:
Reducing its CR to five or six and keeping its stats as-is seems an obvious solution to me. Any others out there? Any place I can find 3.5 stats for a Helmed Horror? Any other suggestions, thoughts, advice, etc.?

heavyfuel
2014-12-02, 09:10 AM
Pretty much. Remember that Air Walk pretty much invalidates any melee that can't fly. While this isn't a problem with a party at lv10, but at lv5 he's not going to be such an easy opponent that justifies a CR 5, which should mean a pretty easy encounter.

Personally I'd make it CR 7 and call it a day.

hymer
2014-12-02, 09:39 AM
Pretty much. Remember that Air Walk pretty much invalidates any melee that can't fly. While this isn't a problem with a party at lv10, but at lv5 he's not going to be such an easy opponent that justifies a CR 5, which should mean a pretty easy encounter.

Personally I'd make it CR 7 and call it a day.

Well, HHs are also mindless, so they won't be doing anything clever like flying away from someone they're fighting because they can see their melee attack is stronger than their ranged attack. They also suck at ranged attacks, though capable of one every other round.

DeltaEmil
2014-12-02, 09:58 AM
3.5 stats for Helmed Horrors can be found in Lost Empires of Faerūn.

hymer
2014-12-02, 10:20 AM
3.5 stats for Helmed Horrors can be found in Lost Empires of Faerūn.

Thank you! I think I can borrow a copy of that. Can you give me any sort of sense of what the stats are like? CR (if it makes sense) is my particular interest.

DeltaEmil
2014-12-02, 10:46 AM
LEoF has two helmed horrors (a standard, and a stronger version, just like there's a wraith and a dread wraith, or an umber hulk and a truly horrid umber hulk).

The standard helmed horror is given a challenge rating of 8, and the improved version called the battle horror is considered to be challenge rating 12.

Noticeable changes are that 3.5 helmed horrors are intelligent compared to their 3.0 counterparts in Monsters of Faerūn and have an ability that allows them to heal 1 hp per hour. And of course they get the +20 hit point bonus for being Medium-size constructs.

hymer
2014-12-02, 10:48 AM
Thanks again! I won't have to hurry too much to set hand on a copy then. :smallsmile: