PDA

View Full Version : Build a character with permanent antimagic field

With a box
2014-12-02, 09:03 AM
It would be start at level 6, and this one burn with special antimagic aura.
Ps: it's amf is always on
I suggested DM and other players to allow this.
P.S it already has AMF. You don't need to do anything to get it

Uncle Pine
2014-12-02, 10:44 AM
Grab Leadership and an AMF Tibbit cohort to get selective AMF and other juicy buffs 24/24. Works on any build with a spare feat. Damn, lv 6 cap. Get a Greenbound AMF Tibbit symbiont, instead. Although it's only worth it if you can stomach the LA.

Malroth
2014-12-02, 11:33 AM
Well in an E6 environment where you are level limited but have plenty of spare feats you could have a 24 hour duration antimagic field with a magic domain cleric 6 and Domain spontaneity, versatile spell caster, sanctum spell, earth spell and heighten spell, Persistent spell and Divine metamagic: Persist spell.

In a more normal environment its usually better to wait untill 6th lv spells are normally available at lv 11 and simply persist the spell through Divine metamagic, Incantrix, or Spelldancer without spending 11 feats to do so.

Crake
2014-12-02, 11:36 AM
I'm not entirely sure what you're asking here, are you asking us how to do it? Or are you saying that you have a character that emnates a permanent AMF and want to know how to run this character?

Chronos
2014-12-02, 12:36 PM
Or possibly asking whether a homebrewed ability (feat? Class feature? Racial ability? Unclear) that does this would be balanced.

atemu1234
2014-12-03, 11:54 AM
Let's see... a permanent emanation, though it isn't normally allowed by permanency...

I'd go with DMM cheese for this one along with Persistent spell, or perhaps a continuous magic item which replaces something vital, like your heart.

ILM
2014-12-03, 12:53 PM
It would be start at level 6, and this one burn with special antimagic aura.
Ps: it's amf is always on
I suggested DM and other players to allow this.
Is your character affected by the AMF or not?

With a box
2014-12-03, 01:22 PM
It was disjunction at first.
It will , I think (but can change, if I cast mass suggestion at them)

Jormengand
2014-12-03, 01:45 PM
Pay an Arcane Archer to shoot you with one every so often? It's gonna be hard to get AMF at all at level 6, let alone permanently. Or break WBL to get an item of continuous AMF, which may do one of two things:

1: Work normally,
2: Keep on flickering on and off at an infinite frequency due to the fact that the item's AMF cancels the item, even if it doesn't cancel the AMF (but cancelling the item cancels the AMF). Would essentially have the same properties as a normal AMF, only it would interact weirdly with Hold Person (you can't move half the time? Wut?) and magic melee weapons could arguably have a 50% chance to work (is the AMF on at the moment the weapon strikes?).

1 is more likely, to be honest, and easier to work with.

With a box
2014-12-03, 01:59 PM
I noticed you are misunderstanding something. It already has permanent AMF.
I want a build from it

(Un)Inspired
2014-12-03, 02:03 PM
I want a build from it

Oooof that sounds like a really rough character to be forced to play. I guess maybe a cleric with initiate of mystra and anything I could possibly get my hands on to boost cl (reserves of strength, orange prism ioun stone, etc...)

Jormengand
2014-12-03, 03:09 PM
I want a build from it

Are you race-locked? If not, go Raptoran or something else with natural flight. If you are, get a griffon mount and look after the damn thing. Pack a ranged weapon either way. Also grab a lance and, if you're an orc, headlong rush, and also Spirited Charge. Do MLG dive attacks from the back of the griffon.

If you can get a truenamer to Ether Reforged you, do it. Due to the instantaneous duration, if he can cast it, you can keep it. He may have to Reversed Spell Rebirth your AMF, but depending on where you're getting your AMF from you may be able to get it back 1d4 rounds later. That said, you're paying a fair bit for the privilege, but it does stop ex incorporeality/etherealness ruining your day.

Instantaneous conjurations may or may not be a problem, but having hitpoints will save you from anything that isn't too cheesy to be protected from.

Being a barbarian is a good idea. Unfortunately, you can't PsW for Psionic Lion's Charge, but what you can do is make the one hit that you get count. You can deal tons of damage. I believe in you.

The alternative is trying to get lolhuge movement speed and then be a tripper, because people won't be able to get out of your lockdown using somatic-less/defensive spells due to the AMF.

Out of combat, an AMF can't help you with anything significantly, unless we're talking about some kind of magical impediment that you need to get past, or maybe you're needed to prevent a magical method of solving a problem going past a certain point? Niche uses, to say the least. There's no real way of building for that.