PDA

View Full Version : Best spell choice

Spacehamster
2014-12-02, 09:50 AM
So Im building a champion(or battlemaster)/assassin 8 fig 12 rog, one of the feats Im sure I will take is the one that gives 2 cantrips and 1lvl 1 spell. Since he is quite smart and also will be like a potion/poison brewer of the party I were wondering what would be most fitting both fluff and crunch wise.

Were thinking wizard spells and minor illusion as one of the cantrips but not sure about other cantrip and lvl 1 spell, is there any good lvl 1 illusion spells? Since offensively I won't need a buff.

Spacehamster to infinity and beyond!

Felvion
2014-12-02, 10:33 AM
Find familiar is a solid choice that doesn't lose value over the levels.
Ultimate scout device that you can telepathetically communicate and see through his eyes as an action. If you cast it again you can change it's form and there is no penalty if it dies (contrary to 3.5).

Spacehamster
2014-12-02, 10:51 AM
Ultimate scout device that you can telepathetically communicate and see through his eyes as an action. If you cast it again you can change it's form and there is no penalty if it dies (contrary to 3.5).

Sounds nice, would mean that I could scout two places? Send familiar into one room for example and sneak into another myself?

Teulisch
2014-12-02, 10:56 AM
with herbalists tools, you can make healing potions. with alchemy tools, you can make things like poison. but for any kind of magic potion, you need a class with spell slots. the fighter and rogue both have options that can gain spell slots at 3rd level, so you can keep your class selection by changing your specialization. you cannot gain these spell slots from any feat, only from class levels. another option would be to take 1+ levels of another class. as magic item creation is at DMs option, you should check with your DM before planning to do such things.

GWJ_DanyBoy
2014-12-02, 10:58 AM
For a cantrip, grab whatever utility spell you like that the party doesn't already have: Dancing Lights, Friends, Light, Mage Hand, Mending, Message.
Or get Blade Ward or True Strike and wonder when you'll ever use them instead of just attacking.

Well, there's a small gold and time penalty, but it's really quite minor. Find Familliar is still a super versatile and solid choice for a lvl1 spell.

Otherwise, there's Silent Image which you could combine with minor illusion to get sound and visuals at once. Fog Cloud has some creative uses, as does Disguise Self. And there's plenty of utility spells to pick if your party lacks a Wizard or a skill-focused character.

odigity
2014-12-02, 10:59 AM

Good call. I can't think of any other 1st lvl spell worth spending a feat just to be able to cast once per day.

Spacehamster
2014-12-02, 11:01 AM
with herbalists tools, you can make healing potions. with alchemy tools, you can make things like poison. but for any kind of magic potion, you need a class with spell slots. the fighter and rogue both have options that can gain spell slots at 3rd level, so you can keep your class selection by changing your specialization. you cannot gain these spell slots from any feat, only from class levels. another option would be to take 1+ levels of another class. as magic item creation is at DMs option, you should check with your DM before planning to do such things.

Well poison and healing potions and say grenade like flasks are not magical right and can be created by having the right toolset?

Felvion
2014-12-02, 01:21 PM
Well poison and healing potions and say grenade like flasks are not magical right and can be created by having the right toolset?

I'm currently afb but i think no caster levels are required for these. Not so sure though.

As for your spell choices, i still think find familiar is probably the best lvl you could get for a once-per-day use. As for the wizard cantrips pick whatever suits you but my recommendations would be minor illusion, dancing lights, prestidigitation, friends and message.
On the other hand, since you are dealing with potions and poisons you could choose druid for your spells. No level 1 spell in his list is good enough to compete with find familiar but you could find something usefull (detect poison?). The real deal here are the cantrips as guidance is great for abuse while you still get druidcraft for minor distractions/illusions and weather report! Also, since roguish characters always want to be nice to the ladies, imagine the sexyness of you while you give the a flower that just blossomed in your hand! I'd say irresistable!
Of course from the cleric's list and pair it with thaumaturgy for the illusory effects (the best a cantrip can offer imo).
The reason i insist on guidance is more than obvious. You make a character that will rely a lot on skills (stealth be the first) and guidance can give you insta buff for any such check! Depending on your dm this could be a plain +4 if you have time to spare as some groups allow several rerolls until the desired 4. Personally i disagree with that but that's up to your group. Still i can't recall the crafting rules for alchemical, non-magical stuff but if they are check related it's gonna be a huge bonus.
Hope i helped.

Ps: Do you sign all of your posts with "spacehamster to infinity and beyond" or just the thread opening ones?

MaxWilson
2014-12-02, 04:41 PM
Good call. I can't think of any other 1st lvl spell worth spending a feat just to be able to cast once per day.

That's not all you get for that feat. Technically, you are also a "spellcaster" if you take that feat, so you are able to attune items like the Wand of Fireballs/Wand of Web.

odigity
2014-12-02, 05:06 PM
That's not all you get for that feat. Technically, you are also a "spellcaster" if you take that feat, so you are able to attune items like the Wand of Fireballs/Wand of Web.

Nice. Though as far as my and my groups are concerned, that ability doesn't come into play until one of us gets a DMG in our hands.

Spacehamster
2014-12-02, 05:33 PM
I'm currently afb but i think no caster levels are required for these. Not so sure though.

As for your spell choices, i still think find familiar is probably the best lvl you could get for a once-per-day use. As for the wizard cantrips pick whatever suits you but my recommendations would be minor illusion, dancing lights, prestidigitation, friends and message.
On the other hand, since you are dealing with potions and poisons you could choose druid for your spells. No level 1 spell in his list is good enough to compete with find familiar but you could find something usefull (detect poison?). The real deal here are the cantrips as guidance is great for abuse while you still get druidcraft for minor distractions/illusions and weather report! Also, since roguish characters always want to be nice to the ladies, imagine the sexyness of you while you give the a flower that just blossomed in your hand! I'd say irresistable!
Of course from the cleric's list and pair it with thaumaturgy for the illusory effects (the best a cantrip can offer imo).
The reason i insist on guidance is more than obvious. You make a character that will rely a lot on skills (stealth be the first) and guidance can give you insta buff for any such check! Depending on your dm this could be a plain +4 if you have time to spare as some groups allow several rerolls until the desired 4. Personally i disagree with that but that's up to your group. Still i can't recall the crafting rules for alchemical, non-magical stuff but if they are check related it's gonna be a huge bonus.
Hope i helped.

Ps: Do you sign all of your posts with "spacehamster to infinity and beyond" or just the thread opening ones?

Thanks for the input and mostly sign my opening ones and long posts with "spacehamster to infinity and beyond!". :)